Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Just been watching some Brisker and thought of this, watch the Pukes draft him.

I’m really struggling to justify staying at pick 11 in our circumstances unless come draft night a consensus top 5 prospect falls that far.

I am all for trading back.  Yes, we need more picks but may be able to get Olave with trading back or I like Calvin Austin III from Memphis as KDawg mentioned.  I think late 2nd/mid 3rd range.  We need to trade back for extra picks though to get him.  TE can be addressed in 5/6th with Bellinger but again need to trade back in 4th or higher rounds.  Let's see how RR and Co. do.

I also think OL is being slept on. If we want Wentz to get the ball downfield, yes we need weapons, but he needs time. I’m not convinced we are set on the OL. They may have a chance to pick up a vet post draft. Don’t know. Not sure our starters are set in stone just yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I also think OL is being slept on. If we want Wentz to get the ball downfield, yes we need weapons, but he needs time. I’m not convinced we are set on the OL. They may have a chance to pick up a vet post draft. Don’t know. Not sure our starters are set in stone just yet.

I feel pretty good about our Oline as far as the starters go.  But if Cross or Ekwonu is the pick, I wouldn’t hate it.

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I totally think the plan is to bring in competition/developmental prospect at Guard. Wes and Norwell can start this year but we absolutely need more injury depth and need to start grooming their replacement(s). Bonus points if we hit a homerun and the rook beats Wes out for the starting RG job in camp.

My money would be on a college Tackle that projects inside at the NFL level, and Ron and Co. Will praise their "position flex" 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think you’re right.

The idea of moving Cosmi inside if we draft a tackle at 11 is both pretty exciting and exasperating.  With how he can struggle a bit with speed/space in pass pro, but possessing plus strength, run blocking and downfield blocking, he could be a really nice fit at guard.  Pushes Sweitzer (or Norwell) to a depth role, which gives us solid backups all over the line.  On the other hand, changing positions for guys doesn’t always work, and it feels like we could set Cosmi’s development back a year by doing that.

Not my favorite route to go, but it’s hard to argue with bolstering the trenches.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

I would be fine with Williams on a mild trade down. Commanders would be drafting him to contribute for 10+ seasons. Missing a handful of games in his first season should not be a deal breaker.

Nobody gets drafted to contribute for 10+ seasons anymore the way FA and the salary cap function.  The best you can assume is 7 with a 1st round rookie and two (ill-advised) tags.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

With that logic, though, there’s reason to be trepidatious about every single position. We’ve blown it on many of them.

Come on, not like WR.  We are 0-fer at picking a WR in round 1 since 1980.  42 years.  Of course misses happen at all positions, but WR has burned us longer than my grown children have been alive.  It would be different if there was a guy that seems like a sure-fire #1, but there isn't.  A lot of WRs that look like they could be good, but none great.  As I said, the USC guy is worth a look, if he somehow lasts until #11, but I'd prefer all of the guys I listed over him, and at least one from my list is almost sure to be there at #11.  To each his own, but I wouldn't  be overjoyed if we took a WR at 11.  Get one that is pretty much just as good in round 2 if you must.  Heck, I'm not even sold on Dyami Brown not working out.  I think with Wentz throwing the ball, Dyami may just break out.  If we do take a WR at #11, I'll initially think it was a mistake, but I'll be rooting for him to succeed as if it was my idea all along.  I'm just a guy with an opinion and a keyboard, but still a Redsk... uh Commander fan all the way.

5 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Come on, not like WR.  We are 0-fer at picking a WR in round 1 since 1980.  42 years.  Of course misses happen at all positions, but WR has burned us longer than my grown children have been alive.  It would be different if there was a guy that seems like a sure-fire #1, but there isn't.  A lot of WRs that look like they could be good, but none great.  As I said, the USC guy is worth a look, if he somehow lasts until #11, but I'd prefer all of the guys I listed over him, and at least one from my list is almost sure to be there at #11.  To each his own, but I wouldn't  be overjoyed if we took a WR at 11.  Get one that is pretty much just as good in round 2 if you must.  Heck, I'm not even sold on Dyami Brown not working out.  I think with Wentz throwing the ball, Dyami may just break out.  If we do take a WR at #11, I'll initially think it was a mistake, but I'll be rooting for him to succeed as if it was my idea all along.  I'm just a guy with an opinion and a keyboard, but still a Redsk... uh Commander fan all the way.

Couldn't agree more. When the guys in round 2 aren't far off from the guys available at 11... You trade down, every time. Also agree on Dyami, I recommend everyone check out his YouTube channel, he's working with an ex-NFL receiver on his route running and could pop this year with Wentz throwing to him. Funny how so many are quick to give up on him.

No need to correct yourself on the name. I'll always call them the Redskins too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Couldn't agree more. When the guys in round 2 aren't far off from the guys available at 11... You trade down, every time. Also agree on Dyami, I recommend everyone check out his YouTube channel, he's working with an ex-NFL receiver on his route running and could pop this year with Wentz throwing to him. Funny how so many are quick to give up on him.

No need to correct yourself on the name. I'll always call them the Redskins too.

No one is giving up on Brown. I was his biggest cheerleader here pre draft. His skill set is as a deep threat. So he will have an increased role this year and will very likely be more productive. 

We don’t have a possession guy on roster, though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No one is giving up on Brown. I was his biggest cheerleader here pre draft. His skill set is as a deep threat. So he will have an increased role this year and will very likely be more productive. 

We don’t have a possession guy on roster, though.

All the more the reason I'm an advocate of the bigger wideouts in the draft. We need variety. If we stay at 11 it shouldn't be for Olave, it should be London.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

All the more the reason I'm an advocate of the bigger wideouts in the draft. We need variety. If we stay at 11 it shouldn't be for Olave, it should be London.

Preaching to the band director sir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

What's your and @KDawg thoughts on this young man later in the 1st round after trading down.  Personally, I like him and think he would be terrific

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

What's your and @KDawg thoughts on this young man later in the 1st round after trading down.  Personally, I like him and think he would be terrific

Not as high on Burks as other people are. Slower than I'd like and isn't twitchy enough to make up for it IMO. I think the advantage he had in college won't be there at the next level due to average athleticism. Think he's got a way higher bust potential than most in this class. He should be better than he is at contested catches and that's a concern for a wideout his size. 

If you want a big bodied threat I'd much rather Drake London or Pickens

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Not as high on Burks as other people are. Slower than I'd like and isn't twitchy enough to make up for it IMO. I think the advantage he had in college won't be there at the next level due to average athleticism. Think he's got a way higher bust potential than most in this class. He should be better than he is at contested catches and that's a concern for a wideout his size. 

Burks is 6'3" 225lbs.

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

With the 11th pick of the 2022 NFL draft the Washington Commanders select Jordan Davis DT. 

Mentioned this a couple of weeks ago and still think this could be our pick. 

Yeah no I'm not taking a guy at #11 who has 0 chance of starting as a rookie. Davis also only played like 50% of snaps in college or something ridiculous(just for comparison Payne played over 90% of snaps in the NFL). He'll get roasted in the big boys league. He's my big bust prediction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah no I'm not taking a guy at #11 who has 0 chance of starting as a rookie. Davis also only played like 50% of snaps in college or something ridiculous(just for comparison Payne played over 90% of snaps in the NFL). He'll get roasted in the big boys league. He's my big bust prediction. 

He's going to be the biggest boy in the league.  He's a unicorn who is terrifying to line up in front of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duffy said:

I'm curious if those of you who want London in the first due to his potential fit with Wentz also like the 5'8" Calvin Austin? 

IF we were looking for a WR in the late 2nd/mid 3rd, he's my guy.  Great hands and speed and dependable.  

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Pickens is fool's gold.  He was a very big time recruit for Georgia at a position where they had a desperate need and he had one big bowl game his freshman year that basically had Georgia fans hoping he'd live up to some great potential for the next two years and he was an absolute and continuous disappointment.  Our fan base would turn on him before the halfway point in his rookie season.  I would bet my house that Treylon Burks ends up being a far better pro than Pickens.  He was pretty much twice the player that Pickens was in college, so he's already got a big head start.  Burks is one of those country ass dudes who is low maintenance and super gritty and he's probably going to end up being the best WR from his class like Deebo Samuels and AJ Brown.  He basically is AJ Brown only a tiny bit faster, with the ability to sprint over 22 miles per hour in the open field.  Pickens is a childish prospect who never came close to living up to his potential at Georgia and I'd say he's a future bust, but I don't think he'll get drafted that high.

London is fantastic though.  He has a chance to be a great player.  I see him as being a Keenan Allen type of grinder and technician with more size and red zone-centric basketball skills.  He has the toughness and focus that Pickens lacks.  London is a peer to Burks and Pickens is not.  Pickens is like a day 3 prospect.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I think you’re right.

The idea of moving Cosmi inside if we draft a tackle at 11 is both pretty exciting and exasperating.  With how he can struggle a bit with speed/space in pass pro, but possessing plus strength, run blocking and downfield blocking, he could be a really nice fit at guard.  Pushes Sweitzer (or Norwell) to a depth role, which gives us solid backups all over the line.  On the other hand, changing positions for guys doesn’t always work, and it feels like we could set Cosmi’s development back a year by doing that.

Not my favorite route to go, but it’s hard to argue with bolstering the trenches.

Failing that, you slightly trade back so a team can take that OL, and we go out and sign Daryl Williams who started every game the last two season at either RT or RG in Buffalo. Was more than solid there, was a cap move really. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I totally think the plan is to bring in competition/developmental prospect at Guard. Wes and Norwell can start this year but we absolutely need more injury depth and need to start grooming their replacement(s). Bonus points if we hit a homerun and the rook beats Wes out for the starting RG job in camp.

My money would be on a college Tackle that projects inside at the NFL level, and Ron and Co. Will praise their "position flex" 

I think their is that kid from Kentucky that projects inside later in the draft.

https://youtu.be/XoIZ1_0z1X4

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He's going to be the biggest boy in the league.  He's a unicorn who is terrifying to line up in front of.

Davis vs Q. Nelson...sign me up...should be able to ppv that puppy.

Edited by sebestian
  • Like 1

2022 NFL Draft Big Board: B/R NFL Scouting Dept.'s Rankings as Draft Nears | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

I found this listing of draft eligible players very interesting.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis would be awesome. He has the potential to be the next young Haynesworth,  before he got paid.

Morning Kool.  Please, the name Haynesworth gives me cold sweets.  Have mercy.  Weekly weather update.  + 7 today as a high, your turn......