Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd say he's an 11-20 guy.

I'm not missing any point. Ron is talking about adding a WR to compliment Terry and seem keyed in on his besty. Everyone on both sides say they want to get it done, but Terry isn't sounding like Scherff who was offered the highest contract ever for a guard. Thank God he turned it down.

It's been what? 4 days that the resigning window has been open?  :ols:

You must know by now that discussions take place before these windows open which is why players have contracts agreed in principle minutes after the legal tampering period opens in FA :ols:

I like Burks but not at 11 but the Atlanta-Jets going for WR in the top 10, that's a growing sentiment.  Jordan Reid from ESPN said he heard the same on Keim's podcast.  Keim himself said he heard that.   Pauline said the same, etc.   I know some here doubt it happens and believe they all fall out of the top 10.  I hope they are right. 

But as for draft people who supposedly talk to teams, this is the impression that's building at least with some.  Having said that if the Jets trade for a WR, supposedly they are in the market, that obviously would change things.  Ditto a surprise faller to the Falcons.

I am seeing 6 WRs going in the first round in a lot of mocks now.   If I recall I saw a recent one with 7.  Granted the actual draft always has surprises.  But my point it wouldn't shock me if 8-9 WRs are off the board by the time we pick in the 2nd. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Burks but not at 11 but the Atlanta-Jets going for WR in the top 10, that's a growing sentiment.  Jordan Reid from ESPN said he heard the same on Keim's podcast.  Keim himself said he heard that.   Pauline said the same, etc.   I know somehere doubt it happens.  I hope they are right.  But as for draft people who supposedly talk to teams, this is the impression that's building.  Having said that if the Jets trade for a WR, supposedly they are in the market, that obviously would change things.  Ditto a surprise faller to the Falcons.

I am seeing 6 WRs going in the first round in a lot of mocks now.   If I recall I saw a recent one with 7.  Granted the actual draft always has surprises.  But my point it wouldn't shock me if 8-9 WRs are off the board by the time we pick in the 2nd. 

Jets apparently enquired about Cooks before his extension, however that doesn’t stop him being traded. Deebo another candidate. I’m sure I read a while back that the Jets GM really liked Burks too?

I could also see the Jets trading back from #10 if Hamilton falls, trade with the Texans who get Hamilton before us, Jets take Burks.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Burks but not at 11 but the Atlanta-Jets going for WR in the top 10, that's a growing sentiment.  Jordan Reid from ESPN said he heard the same on Keim's podcast.  Keim himself said he heard that.   Pauline said the same, etc.   I know some here doubt it happens and believe they all fall out of the top 10.  I hope they are right. 

But as for draft people who supposedly talk to teams, this is the impression that's building at least with some.  Having said that if the Jets trade for a WR, supposedly they are in the market, that obviously would change things.  Ditto a surprise faller to the Falcons.

I think it's a given the Jets take a WR at 10.  They know they need to add weapons for Wilson.  Atlanta?  I'm not sure.  They need help EVERYWHERE.  Their preference is probably a trade back and take d-line (they have nothing there).

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And by the time we pick in the 4th the ones worth a shot will all be gone.

We have to take a receiver in the first or second. And the second will be slim pickins'.

Burks does fit for us. Agree, though. 11 is too high.

In the scenario (which I feel is very unlikely) that Lloyd, Wilson, Hamilton and London are all gone at 11... that's when I support a SHORT drop back. 2-3 places. And that's where we can possibly grab Olave.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If two WRs are taken top 10 that means most likely someone like Hamilton or Gardner fell to 11 and it'd be hard to pass up on either of those.

Passing on Gardner would be real easy for me. Corner is too volatile of a position to take in the top half of the first. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think no doubt we need another RB to share the load with Gibson.  These days IMO EVERY team needs two.  What RB lasts a full season these days?  Derrek Henry some would say but heck even he got hurt last year.   Good news is it seems like the team feels the same now.  Last year, people made fun of me, you, @Koolblue13, @Going Commando among some others for liking the idea of a RB early.   Doesn't feel that way this year.

I was on the Najee train and this made me think to revisit my off-season plan from last year. 

We basically lost Bostic all year, so cutting him would have saved us money.

Scherff contract wasn't happening, so that's a miss.

Having Pierre Lewis, Moreau and Darby would have likely made the early season D a bit better and cost less than WJIII.  Long term who knows.

I over-valued Jayon Brown and Anthony Harris contracts.  We got Jamin over Brown and we clearly lost that based on draft value.  We got McCain who started slow and got better late, but Harris at what the Eagles got him for would have been better I think.

We didn't really have a shot at David, such is life. 

Cutting Bostic (3 mill) and not signing Fitz (10), we'd be 13 mill better cap wise this year too.  I like my version better even without David.

• Like 1

Keim's podcast today

A.  Hearing Wilson and London are likely gone in the top 10

B.  He knows they like Olave but isn't sold they for sure would take him at 11 saying he knows they like some other receivers too in pretty close range to Olave in their minds who could be drafted after

C.  Would like Landon Collins back but not sure Collins' pride would allow him to come back with the big pay cut

D.  Possible to take an O lineman at 11 and move Cosmi to guard, or take a tackle or guard later in the draft.  They don't feel that their O line is completely settled

E.  RB on the table after the first.  This might be me reading too much but he seemed to subtly hint they like Kenneth Walker.  They like Gibson but with a 17 game schedule, they want another back to prevent their backs from wearing down

F.  Mentioned again they like Brisker

G.  Pro visits don't mean they are necessarily targeting that player but sometimes its due dilgence and or they didn't have the chance to meet at the combine or they need more information about said player where they feel the extra time helps their information digging

H. Hyped the idea some of trading down

I.  In the Jordan Reid portion of the discussion,  Reid didn't like the idea of moving Cosmi to guard saying if you find a tackle like they did with Cosmi you ride with it.  Reid also said he's heaing J. Williams is going earlier than people think, he doesn't think he escapes the Saints or Eagles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's podcast today

A.  Hearing Wilson and London are likely gone in the top 10

B.  He knows they like Olave but isn't sold they for sure would take him at 11 saying he knows they like some other receivers too in pretty close range to Olave in their minds who could be drafted after

C.  Would like Landon Collins back but not sure Collins' pride would allow him to come back with the big pay cut

D.  Possible to take an O lineman and move Cosmi to guard, or taker a tackle or guard later in the draft.  They don't feel that their O line is completely settled

E.  RB on the table after the first.  This might be me reading too much but seemed to subtly hint they like Kenneth Walker

F.  Mentioned again they like Brisker

G.  Pro visits don't mean they are necessarily targeting that player but sometimes its due dilgence and or they didn't have the chance to meet at the combine or they need more information about said player where they feel the extra time helps their information digging

I'd love Kenneth Walker. I think he's an excellent back and would excel here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd love Kenneth Walker. I think he's an excellent back and would excel here.

I haven't studied him but watched him during the season and commented at the time -- gushing.  Loved what I saw.  But now I think I might study him, 

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I think it's a given the Jets take a WR at 10.  They know they need to add weapons for Wilson.  Atlanta?  I'm not sure.  They need help EVERYWHERE.  Their preference is probably a trade back and take d-line (they have nothing there).

Some NFL insiders (a growing chorus of them) seem to think their preference is WR but if there is suprise D lineman faller like Thiibodeaux, that might sway them off of a WR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

And by the time we pick in the 4th the ones worth a shot will all be gone.

We have to take a receiver in the first or second. And the second will be slim pickins'.

Burks does fit for us. Agree, though. 11 is too high.

In the scenario (which I feel is very unlikely) that Lloyd, Wilson, Hamilton and London are all gone at 11... that's when I support a SHORT drop back. 2-3 places. And that's where we can possibly grab Olave.

Agree about the first or 2nd and i favor the first.  I think they can trade down a little further.  I think I like Olave over Dotson and Burks for example but not by a mile.  So I liked hearing from Keim that the team seems to see it the same way.  

Feels like they started hot for Lloyd (kept hearing his name in Keim's podcasts) to that idea being cooled off on.  Don't know why.  It probably doesn't have anything to do with him but perhaps other players they like.  Or they have smoke screened the heck out of Keim because they didn't like how often he mentioned Lloyd. :ols:  i don't know.  But the vibe I am getting of late is Lloyd will both be there at 11 and this team will pass over drafting him.  but will see.  Obviously this is all pure speculation. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree about the first or 2nd and i favor the first.  I think they can trade down a little further.  I think I like Olave over Dotson and Burks for example but not by a mile.  So I liked hearing from Keim that the teams seems to see it the same way.  

Feels like they started hot for Lloyd (kept hearing his name in Keim's podcasts) to that idea being cooled off on.  Don't know why.  It probably doesn't have anything to do with him but perhaps other players they like.  Or they have smoke screened the heck out of Keim because they didn't like how often he mentioned Lloyd. :ols:  i don't know.  But the vibe I am getting of late is Lloyd will both be there at 11 and this team will pass over drafting him.  but will see.  Obvioulsy this is all pure speculation. 

I think offense is the absolute obvious need. So it's hard to prioritize Lloyd or Hamilton.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think offense is the absolute obvious need. So it's hard to prioritize Lloyd or Hamilton.

Yeah agree its time to double down on offense.  

Its an offense driven league and we've taken defensive players in the first round 5 years in a row.  Haskins in the mix with Sweat for one of those years but I don't count that. 😀

• Haha 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah agree its time to double down on offense.  

Its an offensive league and we've taken defensive players in the first round 5 years in a row.  Haskins in the mix with Sweat for one of those years but I don't count that. 😀

Honestly I'd be tempted to go London (hoping he falls, not sure he will) in 1 and Walker in 2 and call it a day. If Walker isn't there Hall/Spiller. If they are all gone the LSU back is an option and Brian Robinson is an option later. Lots of RB options. 

Get a receiver and a back unless someone crazy falls. 

• Like 2

Just now, KDawg said:

Honestly I'd be tempted to go London (hoping he falls, not sure he will) in 1 and Walker in 2 and call it a day. If Walker isn't there Hall/Spiller. If they are all gone the LSU back is an option and Brian Robinson is an option later. Lots of RB options. 

Get a receiver and a back unless someone crazy falls. 

I am ok with that.  You add a potential great WR and RB to this group along with Wentz, I think it makes a major impact.  Grinding out 17-15 wins versus the Raiders and Seattle.  Beating the Giants by 1, Falcons by 4.  We are in so many nip and tuck games.  Be nice to join some of the better teams in the NFL by having some games where we can put up major points. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I dont think moving Terry is sacrilege like many here seem to. I do think it would be if we offered a lowball contract. But if we are in market range and he chooses to not sign that’s not on the team. It’s not even on him really. It’s just a choice. And if that’s the choice they need to trade him.

Its simple.

Having said that… there is time. And the team knows where they are with McLaurin. I just hope they have learned from past Washington blunders.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I dont think moving Terry is sacrilege like many here seem to. I do think it would be if we offered a lowball contract. But if we are in market range and he chooses to not sign that’s not on the team. It’s not even on him really. It’s just a choice. And if that’s the choice they need to trade him.

Its simple.

Having said that… there is time. And the team knows where they are with McLaurin. I just hope they have learned from past Washington blunders.

I bet they regret now their chill approach of we get our deals done in the summer which Rivera has alluded to.  While they waited, the WR market get even crazier and it opened some speculation about Terry being on the move considering what's gone down this off season where it might get Terry thinking about it in a way that perhaps he didn't think about before. 

I think the other consequence from what went down in the WR market might have changed to some extent the value of the WRs in this draft.  If the idea now that a #1 WR is worth 25-30 million a year -- that position is now mirroring edge as the premium paid position aside from QB.  I haven't done the math on this but i think its made the WR spot even exceed LT which is wild if so.  It's made the idea of using the franchise tag on a WR in FA more expensive down the road, etc.

In short, it might have increased the value of finding a #1 WR on a rookie deal.

• Like 5

As PFN mentioned in our breakdown of the pre-draft trade from the Saints’ perspective, the New York Giants are the most likely trade partner for the Saints. New Orleans’ NFC South rivals, the Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons, both need long-term answers at QB as well. The Panthers own the sixth overall pick, and the Falcons own the eighth overall pick. The Giants hold the choices in front of both franchises at No. 5 and No. 7. If the Saints want to jump either team for a QB, the Giants would be their likely partner, and the combined value of 16 and 19 would probably do the trick for either selection.

The Panthers also need a long-term answer at left tackle, so it’s possible that New Orleans could jump them for Ekwonu or Neal, although the strategy of such a move would be a bit perplexing from a value standpoint.

The second part of the question, with the Eagles picking at No. 15 and No. 18, is less relevant than it might appear on the surface. Philadelphia is in great shape at offensive tackle with three starting-caliber blockers at the position. If the Eagles wanted a QB, aggressive GM Howie Roseman would trade up for his guy. Their positioning in front of the Saints hardly matters unless both teams negotiate with the Giants for the No. 5 pick for a QB, and New York foolishly deals with a division rival to get a slightly better trade return.

The Eagles and Saints only have an immediate common need at safety, and Philly has never drafted the position in the first round.

Will teams move around the board on draft day?

This is a great question because this draft has very few parallels in recent years. The most comparable outlook is probably the 2013 NFL Draft, where EJ Manuel was the first and only QB taken in the first round (16th overall by the Buffalo Bills). This class will undoubtedly have multiple first-round QB picks, largely due to the league’s newfound Wild West-like wheeling and dealing of the position. Yet, there is a similar consensus that the class is weak at the position and multiple QBs will be “over-drafted” in the first round if selected.

There were five trades during the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. None of the teams that traded up selected QBs. Oddly enough, the Bills, who moved back from No. 8 in a trade with the then-St. Louis Rams, took Manuel at No. 16.

So, history says a QB-weak class will have less moving and shaking than other classes, which are typically anchored by strong QBs at the top. There are eight teams with two first-round picks heading into this year’s draft (NYG, NYJ, HOU, PHI, NO, DET, KC, and GB), so in theory, one or two of those teams could combine their assets to move up and take a blue-chip player in the top five or 10 instead of taking two premium prospects. However, in a draft without many consensus blue-chip players, that strategy might prove foolish and, thus, unlikely to happen.

It wouldn’t be shocking to see fewer trades in the first round this year, especially considering how many pre-draft swaps have already taken place. Recently, pre-draft first-round trades have been all the rage, and in-draft swaps have been less frequent in recent years. For perspective, there were three in-draft first-round trades last year and four in 2020.

Which consensus first-round pick could fall to Day 2?

I have two answers for this, primarily due to need and positional value, as opposed to the actual talent level of the prospects. Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum and Georgia linebacker Nakobe Dean appear to be the most-hyped prospects with a clear path for a drop. Linderbaum and Dean are both first-round talents in this class, but the weight of the center and linebacker positions are pretty wonky.

Linebacker has become a devalued position over the years in the mold of the running back spot. While teams like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Carolina Panthers have continued to show an affinity for LBs, most squads are choosing to put their efforts and assets into the defensive line and the secondary. For better or worse, the center spot has become an afterthought in the first round. Over the past 10 drafts, only seven centers have been selected in the first round.

So, while Dean and Linderbaum are incredibly talented, there’s a strong chance that one or both could drop. The same could be said for tweener playmaker Devin Lloyd, the Utah linebacker who has been a playmaking machine in the Pac-12.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-news-and-rumors-mailbag-saints-eagles-trade-kenny-pickett-landing-spots-and-more/

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the other consequence from what went down in the WR market might have changed to some extent the value of the WRs in this draft.  If the idea now that a #1 WR is worth 25-30 million a year -- that position is now mirroring edge as the premium paid position aside from QB.  I haven't done the math on this but i think its made the WR spot even exceed LT which is wild if so.  It's made the idea of using the franchise tag on a WR in FA more expensive down the road, etc.

Very true. On this board just a few short weeks the idea of paying Terry $24-25m AAV was called non-sense and now look. You pay not only for past production but for predicted future production. Then again I guess some are still stuck under the Bruce Allen regime. Spotrac tweeted his current market value at just under $24.5m AAV over 4 years. Seems about right.

oops this is the draft thread

Edited by Redskin21502
  • Like 1