Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

47 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Could be a Fournette type too then, but I also heard the metrics on what he did with the ball when he caught it were not great so there's that, but if he can catch and can handle pass pro, you can work on the details, the issue that tends to hurt you most is the stone hands+poor pass pro skill, if Walker's fine there, then he's a day 2 value to me, if he's not, than he's my pass list. 

Watched Walker a bunch during the season and I was impressed.  I haven't really sat down and studied him.  I might now.  Looking purely at metrics, the explosion he showed on the field matches his numbers very well.  Here's one of the charts I have been compiling on RBs.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 5.57.02 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Watched plenty of Metchie during the season but didn't study him until now.

He reminds me stylistically some of Skyy Moore.  Like Skyy he seems a threat on all three levels but i like him the best underneath. I prefer Skyy over Metchie by a clear peg.

Plays outside and inside like Skyy.  Looks quick and fast.  Some nice double moves.  Uses his quick feet when it comes to his releases.  Seems a bit like Olave as for looking smooth-crisp on his routes underneath.  

His hands aren't perfect.  Good YAC guy but not killer good.  Decent run blocker.  Seems to be good at a lot of things but not great at any one thing.  Not sure I'd wait for him though for his ACL.  3rd rounder?  Jameson Williams I'd consider waiting for because IMO the dude is a freak but i'd lean against waiting for even him. 

Jalen Tolbert.  Watched him some as to the Senior Bowl.  Just watched a couple of games.   

Really good length -- long wingspan, long legs which make him look taller than he is.   He actually reminds me a little of Alec Pierce.

The lack of stiff competition worries me some about him because in one sense he reminds me of AGG in college where they make big plays down the field, often on contested catches or they get free by running by defenders.  Now doubt Tolbert is a man among boys with the lower level competition but does that translate to the NFL?  Maybe.   He does has a different physique to AGG.  He's not as thick and he's also faster.  So this could work. 

He has one of the higher drop rates among these college prospects.  He can seperate but it doesn't seem like he does it with wicked double moves or jukes defenders with quick feet.  Sometimes I saw that.  But often it was him running by guys straight up and being more physical at the catch point or using his really good catch radius.   Big play after play both in terms of on the third level and as far as YAC goes.   He can high point the point with the best of them.

But there is something about him that makes him feel like a wildcard to me.  I liked how Christain Watson seperated better than I do Tolbert even though in some ways they reminded me of each other but Watson seemed to break lose better as far as seperating.  Watson like Tolbert also ran by guys but i feel safer banking on Watson's sick measurables over Tolbert.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jalen Tolbert.  Watched him some as to the Senior Bowl.  Just watched a couple of games.   

Really good length -- long wingspan, long legs which make him look taller than he is.   He actually reminds me a little of Alec Pierce.

The lack of stiff competition worries me some about him because in one sense he reminds me of AGG in college where they make big plays down the field, often on contested catches or they get free by running by defenders.  Now doubt Tolbert is a man among boys with the lower level competition but does that translate to the NFL?  Maybe.   He does has a different physique to AGG.  He's not as thick and he's also faster.  So this could work. 

He has one of the higher drop rates among these college prospects.  He can seperate but it doesn't seem like he does it with wicked double moves or jukes defenders with quick feet.  Sometimes I saw that.  But often it was him running by guys straight up and being more physical at the catch point or using his really good catch radius.   Big play after play both in terms of on the third level and as far as YAC goes.   He can high point the point with the best of them.

But there is something about him that makes him feel like a wildcard to me.  I liked how Christain Watson seperated better than I do Tolbert even though in some ways they reminded me of each other but Watson seemed to break lose better as far as seperating.  Watson like Tolbert also ran by guys but i feel safer banking on Watson's sick measurables over Tolbert.  

As I already mentioned I am in on Pierce and I def like Sky. I have had reservations and interests in Watson...kind of a love hate thing...WOW to the 12.7% drop rate

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

As I already mentioned I am in on Pierce and I def like Sky. I have had reservations and interests in Watson...kind of a love hate thing...WOW to the 12.7% drop rate

Watson's metrics are elite and he made plenty of big plays.  almost 25 YPC which is sick.  But the competition adds a wild card element to it IMO.  Same with Tolbert.  If I had to bet on one or the other i'd bet on Watson.

Skyy IMO is going to be good.  Pierce is really intriguing.  If we miss out on Watson, Pierce stylistically is the poor man's version IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watson's metrics are elite and he made plenty of big plays.  almost 25 YPC which is sick.  But the competition adds a wild card element to it IMO.  Same with Tolbert.  If I had to bet on one or the other i'd bet on Watson.

Skyy IMO is going to be good.  Pierce is really intriguing.  If we miss out on Watson, Pierce stylistically is the poor man's version IMO. 

It will be interesting to see how early Watson goes, he has really moved up boards.

I like possibly Sky the most out of that 3rd tier. To me he has a really high floor

Danny Gray in the mid rounds is intriguing to me. 

Played Z in the games I watched and wasn't the focal point of SMU's offense.  He has sick speed.  4.33 -- 40.  And he has one of the biggest wingspans among this WR group.

Good run blocker but sometimes whiffs.   One of the best YAC WRs in this draft.  

Actually really good hands and feisty going for the ball when a WR is draped on him.  The routes seemed basic -- crossers, comebacks, quick outs deep outs.    And with a dude with his sick speed, I would have liked to see more seperation. 

But what makes him intriguing to me is he's not just a simple burner like another old SMU WR who played here years ago, Aldrick Robinson.  IMO he has potential to be better than that because he's fesity with the ball in his hands and can be a weapon underneath.  And for a dude his size just in general he played more physical that I epxected considering his metrics whether its via contested catches, YAC or run blocking.  He's a work in progress but IMO he has very intriguing tools. I've read he needs to work on avoiding drops.  I didn't see it as a problem though in the two games I watched. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Killing it SIP.

Also, I’m probably going to say this every year, and I know he could be abrasive, but I miss having Volsmet in this thread. 

Totally agree on SIP and Volsmet. He sure knew how to bring some obscure small school guys to our attention

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Killing it SIP.

Also, I’m probably going to say this every year, and I know he could be abrasive, but I miss having Volsmet in this thread. 

I accidentally found him on twitter a couple months ago in a comment thread on a random draft tweet. His name wasn’t the same so I couldn’t find him again easily, I don’t think. Was he banned? 

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Was he banned? 

"Oh no, banned from the tailgate for being pro human rights. Interesting. Better call it quits on the Es before I get in more trouble. Enjoy kids."

This was back on Sept. 2020. His last post. He quit ES. :(

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

"Oh no, banned from the tailgate for being pro human rights. Interesting. Better call it quits on the Es before I get in more trouble. Enjoy kids."

This was back on Sept. 2020. His last post. He quit ES. :(

Dang. Knew I liked that kid. 

Lots of Olave speculation. I agree that with Wentz and McLaurin and Olave and Samuel and Gibson and Mckissic, that we should have an offense comparable to Dallas. On paper.

• Like 1

Olave is growing on me.  

My advocation for Watson is where he is slated to be drafted.  The trade back would lose the chance of Hamilton, but possibly could still take Olave, and taking a premium safety prospect.  Or taking Watson and a safety.  

I really think on draft day our pick is going to be sought after by a number of teams, I really do and if Hamilton is there that is a heck of a decision.  

• Like 1

Option 1.  Take Olave at 11.

Option 2.  Trade down, still take Olave draft Brisker or Pitre.  (small trade down)

Option 3.  Trade #2.  Take Watson back half of 1st rd, draft Brisker or Pitre the bpa at LB.

A lot of options, which is always a good thing.  However, I really think that we are going to trade down because of needs and the offers we will receive will be significant.

10 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Killing it SIP.

Thanks.  Yeah I my end I loved discussing stuff with volsmet he also had some occasional inside stuff because of his family. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Dang. Knew I liked that kid. 

Lots of Olave speculation. I agree that with Wentz and McLaurin and Olave and Samuel and Gibson and Mckissic, that we should have an offense comparable to Dallas. On paper.

I think Gibson is a weak link as it stands now where he is the primary back. And it's a fairly large weak link. He'll be excellent for the first 6-8 games and then fall off of a cliff with injuries/mistakes if we don't get another back to carry some of the load.

I'm also not thrilled with the all Ohio-State receiver lineup. Too many eggs from one basket on this roster. 

Having said THAT... I'm still not against Olave. I just don't like him at 11 and I'm not a fan of a trade back. 

My receivers that I'd like for us (not necessarily my actual receiver rankings, just what I like for us)

1) London

2) Calvin Austin III (not just because of how he can play as a receiver... but because he'd be an excellent PR)

3) Garrett Wilson

4) Chris Olave

After that we get into the group with Skyy Moore, Wan'Dale, Fryfogle.

I don't love Metchie for the same reason I don't love Williams. Taking a guy who doesn't help us this year hurts us more than it helps. If we don't have a good year we are in serious jeopardy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Gibson is a weak link as it stands now where he is the primary back. And it's a fairly large weak link. He'll be excellent for the first 6-8 games and then fall off of a cliff with injuries/mistakes if we don't get another back to carry some of the load.

I think no doubt we need another RB to share the load with Gibson.  These days IMO EVERY team needs two.  What RB lasts a full season these days?  Derrek Henry some would say but heck even he got hurt last year.   Good news is it seems like the team feels the same now.  Last year, people made fun of me, you, @Koolblue13, @Going Commando among some others for liking the idea of a RB early.   Doesn't feel that way this year.

I'm also not thrilled with the all Ohio-State receiver lineup. Too many eggs from one basket on this roster. 

Having said THAT... I'm still not against Olave. I just don't like him at 11 and I'm not a fan of a trade back. 

I don't love Olave either at 11, wouldn't hate it either.  But my difference is I do like the idea of trading back as long as its not too far back.

My receivers that I'd like for us (not necessarily my actual receiver rankings, just what I like for us)

1) London

2) Calvin Austin III (not just because of how he can play as a receiver... but because he'd be an excellent PR)

3) Garrett Wilson

4) Chris Olave

I've been on Austin for months.  But I think he's still going to be there in the mid 2nd.  170 pounds and 5 '7 -- not too many successful Wrs in NFL history at that size so I think that makes him drop.  But I do love the player.  Loved him even before the combine that he blew up.

London to me is #1 assuming his 40 is decent.  Then Wilson.  Then Olave.      

After that we get into the group with Skyy Moore, Wan'Dale, Fryfogle.

I got to watch Fryfogle.  Part of the reason why I haven't is I noticed most mock drafters have him rated really low -- 6th-7th round range.  Brugler has him as his 35th ranked WR.  So I've been watching higher rated guys at least in the context of mock drafters.  But I far from always agree with mock drafters by a long shot.  So i am curious to why they are so low and if its warranted?  I noticed Frygole is almost 24 so from that context I'd figure he's more pro ready than some younger WRs.

Skyy Moore, i think is gone before our pick in the 2nd but if he's still there and we didn't take a WR in the first, he's be very intriguing.  Him and Austin,

I don't love Metchie for the same reason I don't love Williams. Taking a guy who doesn't help us this year hurts us more than it helps. If we don't have a good year we are in serious jeopardy. 

Williams IMO is a special player.  It feels sick that supposedly KC is eyeing him specifically.   But for the purposes of our team I agree we can't afford to wait for him.  the same point IMO applies double to Metchie who IMO is a good prospect but not a great one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think no doubt we need another RB to share the load with Gibson.  These days IMO EVERY team needs two.  What RB lasts a full season these days?  Derrek Henry some would say but heck even he got hurt last year.   Good news is seems like the team feels the same now.  Last year, people made fun of me, you, @Koolblue13, @Going Commando among some others for liking the idea of a RB early.   Doesn't feel that way this year.

I don't love Olave either at 11.  But my difference is I do like the idea of trading back as long as its not too far back.

I've been on Austin for months.  But I think he's still going to be there in the mid 2nd.  170 pounds and 5 '7 -- not too many successful Wrs in NFL history at that size so I think that makes him drop.  But I do love the player.  Loved him even before the combine that he blew up.

London to me is #1 assuming he's 40 is decent.  Then Wilson.  Then Olave.      

I got to watch Fryfogle.  Part of the reason why I haven't is I noticed most mock drafters have him rated really low -- 6th-7th round range.  Brugler has him as his 35th ranked WR.  So I've been watching higher rated guys at least in the context of mock drafters.  But I far from always agree with mock drafters by a long shot.  So i am curious to why they are so low and if its warranted?  I noticed Frygole is almost 24 so from that context I'd figure he's more pro ready than some younger WRs.

Skyy Moore, i think is gone before our pick in the 2nd but if he's still there and we didn't take a WR in the first, he's be very intriguing.  Him and Austin,

Williams IMO is a special player.  It feels sick that supposedly KC is eyeing him specifically.   But for the purposes of our team I agree we can't afford to wait for him.  the same point IMO applies double to Metchie who IMO is a good prospect but not a great one. 

Sure would be nice having Najee instead of Davis.

I'd feel real good about Lloyd at 11 in that scenario. Even over London. 

But here we are. And London is my 1.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

this also makes me think WR is in play.  Last year DeAndre surprisingly got a good share of reps at that spot.

Hard for me to imagine they are banking on Cam to be their Z this season.   Not that Deandre was the answer either but arguably he might have been their best #2 receiver last year.

Harris would be really nice to have on our roster right now. So would Moehrig. That was my top 2 last year and although 19 would have been a reach, they'd be homerun picks in hindsight. 

RB has to be a dark horse priority this season. McKissic softens that need, but not really. You don't bench a guy multiple times and then count on him the following year.

Unless Gibby has some kind of Tiki Barber reawakening, the book is closing on his career.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

this also makes me think WR is in play.  Last year DeAndre surprisingly got a good share of reps at that spot.

Hard for me to imagine they are banking on Cam to be their Z this season.   Not that Deandre was the answer either but arguably he might have been their best #2 receiver last year.

I imagine it's hard to retain players here.

Which is my worry with McLaurin, too. Seems silly to hedge McLaurin... because we really do need to do everything we can to bring him back. But players have free will... and can do as they choose... despite the fact that some people here believe all of these guys leaving is just because our FO didn't want them (not you, by the way... You understand it completely).

Which is also why I don't want more Ohio State guys. If Terry doesn't want to be here that doesn't bode well for the rest of them... who Terry is friends with. Yes, it's a business. But hard feelings happen. And if Terry leaves that hurts with all of the OSU receivers and maybe even Young.

They need to figure Terry out ASAP. But we do need a receiver in case the worst case scenario happens and we lose him.