Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

My guess is we take Olave or Wilson at 11 and grab Christian Harris in the 2nd. BUT I expect us to trade back if the opportunity presents itself. 

Even if we get creative with the cap we aren’t going to be able to add much impact in FA. We might not be able to retain McKissic or McCain. Honestly we’d be lucky to create enough space to extend McLaurin and sign our draft picks and have money for the in season transactions. 

This trade and cap hit absolutely screwed us. I also think we have the fewest players under contract that we’ve had at this time in the past, AND we only have 1/2/4/6/7 in the draft? 

WR, MLB, OL depth, Secondary depth … it’s looking ugly. We HAVE to turn 11 into 3 picks somehow. 

The trade makes zero sense to me given the impact it will have on the rest of the roster this year and long term. All for what? Ron to save his job? I’m usually optimistic but I can’t find much reason for optimism. 

• Like 1

There are so many LBs this year, I'm wondering if someone like Leo Chenal makes it to our 4th round pick. I believe Holcomb needs someone to push him for playing time. He hasn't played up to his potential at Strongside Backer, but we have yet to give him any competition at the spot. He's been able to be up and down and never have to worry about getting pulled because we have terrible LB depth. I hope we flood the LB room with new talent (3rd year in a row saying this).

6 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

There are so many LBs this year, I'm wondering if someone like Leo Chenal makes it to our 4th round pick. I believe Holcomb needs someone to push him for playing time. He hasn't played up to his potential at Strongside Backer, but we have yet to give him any competition at the spot. He's been able to be up and down and never have to worry about getting pulled because we have terrible LB depth. I hope we flood the LB room with new talent (3rd year in a row saying this).

Agreed, but he has steadily improved and is pretty good for a 5th rounder.

Holcomb, Davis, Mayo are the only locks. We could use a good vet and another drafted high. 

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Lloyd is going to be the pick thank god, the Eagles won't get him now.

McShay redid his latest draft after the Wentz news and has us taking Devin Lloyd but paused on NFL Live to say we could also be looking at Stingley or WR if there.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just watched a couple of Garrett Wilsons highlight videos, and honestly, I wasnt blown away. Hes REALLY good. I know its more to analyzing a player than highly videos, but unless its a generational talent, cant miss WR, I dont want to use our top pick on one. We already have 2 young WRs in Dyami Brown & Dax Milne.

Our horrible defense is still fresh on my mind. Not holding my breath on Chase Young figuring it out next season. At #11, I'd rather get the BPA on defensive, preferably Devin Lloyd.  Get Bobby Wagner & a top tier WR in FA. 

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21

39 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

McShay redid his latest draft after the Wentz news and has us taking Devin Lloyd but paused on NFL Live to say we could also be looking at Stingley or WR if there.

I don't think any of the mockers have done any research into positions for us besides QB.

I'd wait awhile before thinking they're predicting what we'll actually do.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Stabilized is a strong word, bro, I've certainly seen worse, but stabilized is not word I'd use to describe his play in 2021.

We were going through a different starter about every three or four games before he took over last season.  I'd say that's stabilizing the position, compared to where we were.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Agreed, but he has steadily improved and is pretty good for a 5th rounder.

Holcomb, Davis, Mayo are the only locks. We could use a good vet and another drafted high. 

Yeah I like Holcomb and think he has a role on the team. I think he has been allowed to coast some though and could/should be further along with more competition. 

• Like 1

Trade down in the 1st w/the Steelers for their 2nd and 6th round picks in this year's draft since we traded for Wentz.  The results as follows:

Note:  I drafted Troy Anderson and convert him to FS.  Talented bigger than Hamilton at ND and with his agility, speed I think he be a great FS.  

pff_mock_results.png

Edited by RWJ

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Trade down in the 1st w/the Steelers for their 2nd and 6th round picks in this year's draft since we traded for Wentz.  The results as follows:

Note:  I drafted Troy Anderson and convert him to FS.  Talented bigger than Hamilton at ND and with his agility, speed I think he be a great FS.  

pff_mock_results.png

I know Andersen is crazy athletic but he is also 245. The guy is not a free safety. What’s sad by the way is that both Muma and Andersen will be better pros than Jamin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I know Andersen is crazy athletic but he is also 245. The guy is not a free safety. What’s sad by the way is that both Muma and Andersen will be better pros than Jamin

I agree.  If we could get Anderson down 15 to 20 lbs. he'd be an awesome FS.  Can you imagine being hit by him.  I like Cine from Georgia but he's going to probably be drafted in the early 2nd.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Wentz started all 16 games in 2019 and all 17 last season. He missed 4 games in 2020. Honestly his health has been decent the last few years.

He's played 6 seasons and half of them he didn't play the full set of regular season games.

Doing it 2 out of the last 3 years is sugar coating reality here. We should not expect him to stay healthy for full seasons at least in back to back seasons, he never done it.

QB is a position where if the starter is missing the impact is huge, especially if it's more then one game.  

I'm trying to be optimistic and realistic at the same time, even missing 4 games is enough to knock a team out of a tight playoff race.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

We were going through a different starter about every three or four games before he took over last season.  I'd say that's stabilizing the position, compared to where we were.

Didn't we still play 4 different QBs in 2021 with at least three of them starting at least once?

Isn't that the same thing we did in 2020, with only difference being technically 4 starters as Taylor started the playoff game?

I'm sorry, I can accept him being an acceptable backup, but Taylor didn't stablize anything, I completely disagree with you.

9 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We need to trade down from #11 and hopefully pick up a 22 2nd or 3rd Rounder and a 23 1st Rounder.

We will still can get a good player by trading down.

Pittsburgh, Tampa and New Orleans need a qb.

Agree, that needs to be the route. Only exception I can think of being if a top 5 stud prospect falls unexpectedly that you really want. Even then, we need more picks in an ideal world.

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

My guess is we take Olave or Wilson at 11 and grab Christian Harris in the 2nd. BUT I expect us to trade back if the opportunity presents itself. 

My hunch is that qb is on the table if we trade back, but otherwise not.

Even if we get creative with the cap we aren’t going to be able to add much impact in FA. We might not be able to retain McKissic or McCain. Honestly we’d be lucky to create enough space to extend McLaurin and sign our draft picks and have money for the in season transactions. 
I believe in terms of extending McLaurin we can keep his cap hit this year the same… could be wrong though.  The other two, we could backload deals to help this year.

This trade and cap hit absolutely screwed us. I also think we have the fewest players under contract that we’ve had at this time in the past, AND we only have 1/2/4/6/7 in the draft? 
Yeah, it’s a hit to our resources for sure.  I think we can free up another 10mil or so just through cutting Collins and extending Flowers, which will help.  Trade backs with other picks can net us more mid-late rounders though if we can swing it.  We seems to always land a couple/few UDFAs on the roster too.

WR, MLB, OL depth, Secondary depth … it’s looking ugly. We HAVE to turn 11 into 3 picks somehow. 

I think it’s going to have to be mostly cheap FAs, hope to find some talent in the draft (and in UDFA), and hope some of our young guys pan out (Brown and Milne for example).  I wouldn’t be surprised if the team is more bullish on our wrs than some of us are… beyond needing to add a 5th guy/competition.  Personally, I hope they land one in the first 2 Rds (along with a mlb).

The trade makes zero sense to me given the impact it will have on the rest of the roster this year and long term. All for what? Ron to save his job? I’m usually optimistic but I can’t find much reason for optimism. 

I can understand your concerns for sure.  Somewhat ironic that we wanted a better qb to draw better FAs and now we’re wondering if we can afford good FAs.  Sucks to be down 2 picks this draft, but not the end of the world either.  On the bright side, the cap should go up, our qb situation is improved (and if Wentz works out for us, his cap numbers are quite reasonable).  More likely McLaurin returns now too (IMO).  As I said before, I was more about the long term, but considering the staff was concerned about the short and long term, I think this is about the best they could do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Im wondering could we not rework Wentzs contract.  Maybe change his salary this year into a signing bonus and spread his cap hit over  the next three years.  I know that it is a good contract to which we can cut him next year for no dead money, however we have to address some things.  I think that they are going to create some good cap room to sign at least one impact player, I am hoping for either Campbell or Williams.  The draft the other need after a trade down, and also get a WR with serious speed.  One huge thing would be to have a healthy Curtis Samuel, send him to LeBron's people who take care of his body.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IrepDC said:

I like Leo Chenal though I would guess he is gone by our fourth round pick.

I have a high opinion of Chance Campbell and he might be available in the 6th or 7th round.

10 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We can get 13m just by restructuring Wentz by putting 13m into next year. We can release Collins in June and get 13m, we can release or restructure Loannidis and get 8m or say 5m respectively. Payne restructure could net us 4m, Flowers New deal could save us 5m. That's around 40m there straight away, just look at GB they are still around 40m over the Cap and somehow they've paying Rodgers 50m and have franchise Tagged Adams at 20m. The Cap in my opinion is ********. We can still be Big players in free agency, just keep backloading your cap into future years like GB and the Cowboys etc are doing. The Cap will be up to 300m in about 4 years due to Betting now involved in the NFL. 

• Like 2