Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I was leery about spending high FA capital on a WR when we had $33m in cap space because we have Samuel making $12m and McLaurin about to make $20m+ ... a rookie to pair with Brown and Milne would be smart roster construction. By the time Samuel comes off the books you can pay one or both of them to stick around. Rinse and repeat.

OL is the area that concerns me. Let's assume we extend Flowers a few years to lower his cap hit. You're set at LT-LG-C-RT for several years. But Schweizer goes off after 2022, and only guy behind him that is a 53-man caliber is Charles. So we gotta do something there, and it would make sense to hit the position in the draft. The issue is we don't NEED a starter (we need depth) and you'd hate to spend a 1st or 2nd on an OL depth piece that isn't slated to start in 2022. The sweet spot would be in the 3rd - 5th rounds, but we have 1 pick in that range right now in the 4th. Will be interesting to see how they address that issue in the off-season.

I’ve literally just posted about RG in the FA thread :ols:

Will be very interesting to see what we do. Hopefully we spend the weekend sorting some cap space out then bag a couple of top players next week. That would open up the draft discussion better too.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

No we just have an incredibly low standard for what that means in context of what we've been through. Stabilizing is the wrong word, if for any reason we did everything we could to replace him as a starter this offseason.

Worth noting that stability can mean the opposite of fluctuation.

And for all the crap TH has gotten, 1) he played 16 of 17 games (ie, way more stability than the previous 2 years), and 2) Washington was last in the league in QBR for (IIRC) the past 3 years, yet Heinicke was 23rd.  Not arguing he was a good qb for us, or even a decent one, but he was a low end starter (albeit with major limitations) that gave his teammates some confidence he/they could pull out a victory in the end.  We obviously needed an upgrade though, and now we have one. 

40 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I think we should operate differently than the Colts.  We know what Carson could do as a passer with lesser weapons in Philly (2020) with no run game, and lesser weapons in Indy (2021) but a great run game.  Why not beef up the weapons and have an ok run game?

He's a great deep ball thrower, and he's also aggressive in taking shots.  He'll pass up checkdowns in favor of a chance at a big play.  Why not grab a WR who can be a viable target 20+ yards down the field?

P.S.  I also would like another RB to help reduce wear and tear on Gibson.  But I think adding talent at WR might help Wentz more than improving RB depth.

If Brown lives up to his billing and Samuel gets/stays healthy, that’s a nice trio of guys proficient in the deep passing game.  Milne looks like a solid depth piece that can function as a chain mover.  With that said, I’d definitely look to add a receiver (early in the draft in particular) to increase our chances of having a dangerous receiving corp.

Although oline is further down the priority list, given 1) the need to protect Wentz* 2) to help the run game, and 3) considering how many injuries we always seem to sustain there, shoring up the depth there is pretty crucial.  Returning Lucas and adding a guard would go a long way.  Wonder how the staff feels about Charles’ play last year…

*not only giving him protection so he has time to hit the deep passes, but also because he’s learning a new system and I can see that affecting his timing early on.

40 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The first round success rate for wide receivers is ghastly and has to be worse than any other position right?  If you set a (low) bar for unqualified success at having a 9 AV season, which roughly translates to really good starter for a decent offense (not even necessarily bonafide #1 receiver), only 17 out of 40 WRs drafted in the first in the last ten years hit that bar in one season of their careers.  And even fewer of those guys got second contracts with the team that drafted them.

9 AV season at least once in career:

2021: Smith & Chase yes.  Bateman/Waddle/Toney no.

2020: Lamb & Jefferson yes.  Ruggs/jeudy/Raegor/Aiyuk no.

2019: Hollywood Brown yes.  Harry no.

2018: DJ Moore and Ridley yes.

2017: Corey Davis & Mike Williams yes (barely), John Ross no.

2016: Coleman/Fuller/Doctson/Treadwell God no.

2015: Cooper and DeVante Parker yes, White/Agholor/Perriman/Dorsett no.

2014: Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks yes.  Benjamin no, but close.

2013: Hopkins yes.  Austin/Patterson no.

2012: Kendall Wright yes barely.  Blackmon/Floyd/Jenkins no.

What struck me about looking through the AV scores of these receivers?  They didn't really change year to year.  There is no big learning curve to the position and hardly any third year leap type of players in the sample.  If the receiver was going to be good and productive, you pretty much knew it immediately and the only guys who turned it around late in their rookie contracts were Corey Davis, DeVante Parker, and Mike Williams.  So either the conditions for long term success are there for these guys as rookies, or they're going to bust.

I don't like our odds of nailing a WR pick at 11.  But the plus side is we'll probably be choosing WR1 at that spot and those have a slightly better hit rate than the first round receivers picked after them.

I mean, I’d be really excited to have two of Waddle, Jeudy, and Aiyuk to compliment McLaurin.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Really love the idea of drafting Watson, but think he’s going in the 1st or real early 2nd.
Big fan of James Cook, Brian Robinson or Chris Rodriguez. Give me an SEC RB!

We have to trade down. We can then grab Watson. Sometimes the answer is right in front of your face. 

TMC,CS and this guy!  Trade down make it happen. 

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah I think Lloyd and Watson are the two I want the most.

Keim talked about trading down might be intriguing to them even before this trade.  I figure trading down will be even more appealing now.  You'd think they'd have a much better shot to do it this year then last year.

I'd figure one of the pass rushers, corners or O lineman -- premium positions will be there at 11.

The mid to late first and even 2nd IMO is a great spot for MLB and WR.  They can trade down and maybe still get Lloyd or maybe Garrett Wilson or maybe Drake London or Burks or J. Williams or Olave. In the 2nd you got Muma, Chenal, Watson, S. Moore and a bunch of safeties. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim talked about trading down might be intriguing to them even before this trade.  I figure trading down will be even more appealing now.  You'd think they'd have a much better shot to do it this year then last year.

I'd figure one of the pass rushers, corners or O lineman -- premium positions will be there at 11.

The mid to late first and even 2nd IMO is a great spot for MLB and WR.  They can trade down and maybe still get Lloyd or maybe Garrett Wilson or maybe Drake London or Burks or J. Williams or Olave. In the 2nd you got Muma, Chenal, Watson, S. Moore and a bunch of safeties. 

I like Kirby. This is a great draft for our needs. 

Dean and Lloyd aren't making it past the Eagles and Cowboys, so if we want either, it'll have to be at 11.

I would really like 2 picks around the back of the first/early second to try and land Watson and Walker and really double down on our Offense. Have to get a MLB though and this is the best year to do it. Losing the 3rd hurts, but it's worth it. If we traded back to 20 and picked up a 23 1rst and a 22 3rd and somehow got back to the top of the second we could nail 3 dingers and set this team up really nicely.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I really like Cine and the FS from Penn St.. Joesph is ok but I consider a level below those two.  Of course Hamilton is the creme of the crop, I think. :)  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Reality is that he played full seasons in two of the last three seasons and only missed 4 games in the other season. You can put whatever topping on it you want - its still reality.

Any QB can get injured or have Covid issues (thats still going to be a thing and Wentz is not vaccinated). Heinicke missed games last season - it happens.

If you want to make the case that you are comfortable with his last three seasons and ignore that context of all 6 of his seasons, that's your call.

I will remain skeptical until he proves he can stay healthy in back to back seasons at least.  Again, he's never done that.  So I am where I am because i don't want to get my hopes too high.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If you want to make the case that you are comfortable with his last three seasons and ignore that context of all 6 of his seasons, that's your call.

I will remain skeptical until he proves he can stay healthy in back to back seasons at least.  Again, he's never done that.  So I am where I am because i don't want to get my hopes too high.

Y'all should hit the QB thread with this talk.

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I really like Cine and the FS from Penn St.. Joesph is ok but I consider a level below those two.  Of course Hamilton is the creme of the crop, I think. :)  

I like Brisker, but I think he'll be more of a SS in the NFL. Cine looks great. I kind of worry about taking anyone from that stacked defense. It's Hamilton>Hill>Cine though.

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like Kirby. This is a great draft for our needs. 

Dean and Lloyd aren't making it past the Eagles and Cowboys, so if we want either, it'll have to be at 11.

Maybe.  Not sure.  Combine-pro-day may hurt their stock a little.    Love both players.    Post combine I've seen Lloyd all over the map, top 10, mid first, late first, 2nd round.  Some think Dean's stock might drop after the pro day because some believe his 40 won't be hot (alas Lloyd) and he was measured to have small arms.

Don't get me wrong, love both guys but the underwear oiympics so to speak might have hurt their stock.  Will see. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Let's put it this way he has started 85 of a possible 97 regular season games in his career.

• Like 2

We need to trade down from 11. Try to recoup by getting a 2nd rounder or 3rd Rounder this year. Also, get a 1st rounder in 23; to put us in position to get a qb if needed.

New Orleans-18

Pittsburgh- 20

Both need a qb and we can still get a good player at 18 or 20.

Tampa- 27

They also need a qb but that’s a big drop. Going to need a lot of picks for us to move down this far. 

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I hate trading down on the 1st. I feel like we’ve almost always lost value with that move and we need some blue chip guys. 

Are you suggesting trading 21 for Fred, Devin and Malcomb was a mistake? 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Garett Wilson should be there at #11. I would take him and not look back.

He's WR1 for me too, and a freakish natural talent.  He's one of the slickest circus catchers I think I've seen.   I'm always amazed at the receivers who are absurdly good at catching passes in traffic when they can't see the full flight of the ball because it is something I was always totally garbage at.  Pair that with the leaping ability, body control, and speed, and he seems like a no-brainer.

My one big reservation with him is his routes are garbage.  Honestly, every point of it from the release to the break looks obvious and inefficient and unnatural.  He's not big enough to run through guys off the line and in the contact window, so his breaks and his release need to be excellent for him to star at the next level.  Even in his highlight videos I see crappy, busy-looking breaks, like the first play in this one:

He might be able to turn around that third string safety with 4.7 speed and cast iron hips playing 20 yards off of him with that mess, but that break looked awful and he almost tripped over his own feet.

The guys who have tended to get off to a fast start in the NFL are the physically dominant ones and the technicians, and Wilson is neither of those things.  I think he's risky, and would rather go with one of these blue-moon defensive prospects at 11 than him.  We can circle back around to WR in the second round.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1