Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Upside free safety with feast-or-famine tackle approach that creates inconsistencies teams will need to have corrected. Butler vacillates between punishing hitting and taking arm-tackling angles in the open field. He's average in man coverage but plays with instincts and catch disruption from zone. He might see an uptick in his future value if he can get his run tackling solidified. Butler's outstanding work as a gunner adds to his draft day value and likelihood of sticking around the league. -- Lance Zierlein

Projected Round 5

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

They have been talking about it all offseason. They think this team is really good that was held back by QB play and covid late in the season. Lets no forget that we were 1 minor if questionable offside in the giants game from starting 1-8. They had that fluky 4 game win streak. I mean how many times are you going to win back to back games 17-15? 

The fluke in one of those games was the other team scoring a TD off a blocked extra point.  A fluke against us not for us

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Not sure you use a 4th on a gunner and back up safety. Dont know if he can play the buffalo. 

Maybe he can fill the "Archulleta Role" (ie personal punt protector)

Edited by DiscoBob

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for it, but it is somewhat draft related based on our second pick, so I want to get into the DT situation a bit.

1. I think first we have to acknowledge the entirety of the DL, not named Jon Allen underperformed last year.  Especially early in the season, it was bad.  And it wasn't JUST Chase Young who was bad.  They were bad across the board.  Young and Sweat took a lot of the heat, but it was clear that the entire unit was underperforming in every area.  

2. It has been widely reported that there was a rift, to some extent, between the coach and the players.  Matt Ioannidis was one of the players who seemed to have a significant issue with the coaching.

3. However, even though there was that rift, Matt I. played on ~54% of defensive snaps.  (Source: Lineups.com)

4. Tim Settle played on 18% of defensive snaps.  (source: Lineups.com)

5. What this proves, really, is that while I'm sure they liked Tim Settle as a dude, they didn't really think that much of him as a player.  Maybe they are wrong about that, but he couldn't get on the field over a guy who was pretty overtly disgruntled.  

6. I think they had a plan going into the off-season to entirely shake-up the interior of the DL over 2 seasons.  The group as it was constructed never performed up to expectations, and it was about to get really expensive.

7. In regards to Payne, he was a mid-first round pick from a previous regime.  He's mostly a run-stuffer, and has been inconsistent.  He has flashed, but hasn't developed into the player we all had hoped. Because of this, they are in a bit of a bind.  They don't want to pay him $16-$18M per year because they don't seem him as worth it.  BUT he's more valuable on the team than being traded for a 4th round pick or lower.  I bet they would have traded him for a second.  Maybe a 3rd.  Nothing lower.   So he is going to play out his 5th year, and then leave.  And frankly, I'm fine with that.  5 years of "good" production from a 1st rounder is "ok."  Not great, but not a bust.  He's not worth paying big money to, and he's not at a position which will fetch a ton in a trade.  Shrug.

8.  So, where does that leave us?  They let Settle walk primarily because, I think, they feel he's entirely replaceable and not very good.  Again, they could be right, they could be wrong. But they really didn't seem to have a ton of interest in keeping him regardless of anybody else's status.  I look at this as a stand-alone decision.

9. I fault them for not cutting Matt I. as soon as the season was over.  I think they knew they wanted to do it, but they just hemmed and hawed about it, and did it late.  That is the big mistake.  Not cutting Matt I.  But not doing it sooner.  

10.  Regardless, they were going to be in a position where they were down both Settle and Matt I., and Payne who is playing his last year with the team. I think they knew this in January.  Maybe even before the season was over.  

11. So that brings us to the draft (finally, given this is in the draft thread.)  I really know absolutely NOTHING about Mathis.  But my belief is they drafted the guy who's going to replace Payne next year.  He seems to fit about the same profile.  I have NO IDEA if they got the best guy to do that.  Maybe not.  @KDawg said he preferred somebody else. Clearly they liked him for some reason in order to pick him.  They might be wrong, they might be right, we'll know in a couple of years.  

12.  I think they are going to add another DL somewhere else in the draft as well.  Just a hunch.  I also think they will sign 2-3 other guys in the second round of FA.

So, there's my long winded DT rant.  

I will add, if the Patriots, Steeler or Ravens did almost exactly the same thing, pick a guy in the first, like him, not love him, and draft his replacement a year early, they would be lauded as savants for their foresight.  I get that we are not those organizations.  but sometimes the criticism of every single thing is crazy.

Also, pardon me for not getting worked up about Matt I. and Tim Settle leaving the team.  It was a bit so-what for me.  They weren't dominant with them, so change something.  Same, to a somewhat lesser extent, with Payne.  

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

28 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Other teams in our division are swinging for homeruns. Theyll get some and strike out on others. We seem content on singles

I like this analogy. But I’d say Dotson was a double. Mathis was a single. Runners on 1st and 3rd. Robinson was a triple. We scored 2 runs in 3 ABs. Butler was a single but we held the runner at 3rd (I think… have to watch him a little)

• Like 2