CLASS
RS Sr.
SCHOOL
Alabama
HEIGHT
6' 4"
WEIGHT
SPEED

Mathis is a plug-and-play run defender at the next level with the kind of length to two-gap consistently. He graded out as an above-average run defender for four straight seasons in college.

SHOW DRAFT GUIDE PROFILE
SEASON SNAPS SEASON GRADE
2021 547

93rd / 861 DI
Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Like 2

What is the deal with the low ceiling defenders we overdraft in the 2nd in the last decade lol, we can’t get enough of it. It’s been mostly big school blue collar EDGE guys, and under previous regimes, but it’s a nightmare we can’t shake 

Jonathon Allen’s been lobbying for him since the season ended.

He reportedly told Rivera “Phiderian’s a solid no non-sense lunchpail type, the kinda guy you never even notice. Now he may never make a pro bowl or lead the team in sacks or tackles but he will follow my orders without complaining and he won’t be taking swings at folks on Monday night football either!”

Rivera said, “That’s good enough for me.”

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Ron's assembled a regime that clearly prioritizes need over true value.  3rd time they've done this.

They botched the Payne / DT situation, created a gaping need at DT when there wasn't one, and now just wasted a 2nd rounder on a 4th round prospect. 

As I said in a post a few days ago: this is why this organization never wins; why it keeps spinning in place.   We're a "Finger-in-the-Dike" organization.  We never really build anything.  We create problems where there aren't any and then have to fill that need.  

Just an unbelievable waste of a 2nd round pick.  I'm going to laugh watching Ron and Co. try to justify this horrid pick.  

Funny enough, before the pick I - and plenty of people on the board - were figuring they'd somehow screw this pick up.  Sure enough....

• Like 11

Just now, RoseHill said:

Looks like we drafted a backup in the 2nd round. 

Doesn’t just look like it. We did. Even if he starts he isn’t going to give us 3 downs all that often if at all. 

Really bummed with this. Strangely I’d have preferred a QB at 47. Which is… saying something.

Still better than Brisker.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Jonathon Allen’s been lobbying for him since the season ended.

He reportedly told Rivera “Phiderian’s a solid no non-sense lunchpail type that may never make a pro bowl but he will follow orders without complaining and he won’t be taking swings at folks on Monday night football either!”

So Allen is lead scout now?

This organization is a laughingstock. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Well that was...anticlimactic. He's a decent player but nothing special. Somewhat underwhelming pick. Can't understand taking him over Dean.

every team is passing on him so who knows what was found out other then an Injury that could keep him out this season - torn pec is what I’ve heard.