Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Baker is a baller. People forgot he led the Browns, the friggin BROWNS, to their first playoff win since returning to Cleveland just a year ago. He was hurt this past season. I'd be okay trading #11 for him.

Same here. "Ok" with it. Not happy, but "ok". 

13 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Nope, I've heard that supposedly Carolina was fixated on Howell, which is odd, and I find it nearly impossible to believe that Willis would slip below 10 or 11, Pickett, for whatever reason is #1 for a lot of people, inexplicably to me, but his status means he's going top 20, I'm just assuming Corral will. 

Wow, I had not heard of the interest in Howell, good for him. I surely hope there isn't an early run on QB's

13 hours ago, IrepDC said:

That scenario would be your preference of Lloyd/Dean and Howell versus Corral and Muma- on my board.

I must say, any of those outcomes would be tremendous! Of course in whichever scenario we would probably be sweating out it out before we grab the 2nd player. That's always the issue when you are identifying a specific position or player. 

Clearly the QB move pretty much dictates the whole direction of travel we go.

If we don’t go big at QB in free agency, we could target defense in FA to plug the gaps at LB and FS. Draw that line under the D.

You then get left with say Trubisky or Mariota, but in the draft you add a QB, stud WR prospect and another couple of pieces at RB and TE. In theory you could do that with your first 4 picks IF we sorted LB and FS in free agency.

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Baker is a baller. People forgot he led the Browns, the friggin BROWNS, to their first playoff win since returning to Cleveland just a year ago. He was hurt this past season. I'd be okay trading #11 for him.

Could you imagine all of Mayfields insurance commercials being at Fedex....he would need to be a handyman!

I would be better with 11 for Baker than most of the other options. We could use that fiery leader

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yeah, I really like the idea of trading for Baker Mayfield too.  He's at the age where he's about to enter his prime.  Feels like we'd be getting a better prospect than anyone in the draft class + be able to skip most of the development period because he's now seen a lot of NFL pressure and coverage schemes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah, I really like the idea of trading for Baker Mayfield too.  He's at the age where he's about to enter his prime.  Feels like we'd be getting a better prospect than anyone in the draft class + be able to skip most of the development period because he's now seen a lot of NFL pressure and coverage schemes.

I don't see why Cleveland would trade for him unless they had a ready-made replacement.  They need a qb to compete in that division.  

13 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’d prefer to trade back from #11 and get a QB in the 20’s and move back up to get a LB with our draft capital than use future high picks to move back up to take a QB/LB. It’s a deep draft, not a top heavy draft, so there’d be value in that path if someone falls in love with someone sitting at #11

I'd be fine with this too--I am becoming more okay with taking a LB or Hamilton at 11 and then trading back into the end of the 1st round for Ridder or Strong. What's the drop-off from Corall, Pickett, or Willis to those two?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I don't see why Cleveland would trade for him unless they had a ready-made replacement.  They need a qb to compete in that division.  

That may depend on what the actual truth is behind Cousins future in Minny, as irrespective of the KOC hire, he may know more than anyone that Cousins is vastly overpaid and not the guy to get the Vikings where they want to be.

20 hours ago, method man said:

If this team wants Willis, it may have to trade up to #4 as Carolina is a candidate to take him at #6 and the Giants are not likely to send #5 to us without a king's ransom

I don't see Carolina taking anyone but Pickett if they take a QB. Rhule and Pickett have a long relationship;

15 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Could you imagine all of Mayfields insurance commercials being at Fedex....he would need to be a handyman!

I would be better with 11 for Baker than most of the other options. We could use that fiery leader

They could do a commercial where the toilet sewage spills out on him! I like it. 

13 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Laugh all you want but I'd take TH over Mayfield all day long. Did you see how brutal Mayfield was in Green Bay at the end of the season? He's the most overrated QB in the league.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, VirginiaVibes said:

I don't see Carolina taking anyone but Pickett if they take a QB. Rhule and Pickett have a long relationship;

Yep that is a strong connection, only issue there being I’m not sure the Carolina ownership are that keen on Rhule anymore.

As an aside, every time I see your user name I think it says VaginaVibes.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

They could do a commercial where the toilet sewage spills out on him! I like it. 

Laugh all you want but I'd take TH over Mayfield all day long. Did you see how brutal Mayfield was in Green Bay at the end of the season? He's the most overrated QB in the league.

He was playing injured the bulk of the year. He’s nowhere near as bad as he looked in ‘21.

My problem w/him is we have a 4 year sample size now and it’s all uneven w/a lower than top 10 overall ceiling to his best play and lots of injuries mixed w/a performance level that looks like peak Dalton or perhaps a bit worse than that. Basically he looks league average or slightly better on his typical healthy day. That shouldn’t be our objective unless it comes very cheap. We are trying to find a plus QB not a .500 QB. It’s also worth noting that the second OBJ got out of there he went from waiver wire production to an above average #2 starter. I can live w/Baker as a cheap bridge guy because there’s a long shot chance he can become above average but he’s not a solution if you are looking for a legit game changing QB and that’s what I want.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:31 AM, Est.1974 said:

Clearly the QB move pretty much dictates the whole direction of travel we go.

If we don’t go big at QB in free agency, we could target defense in FA to plug the gaps at LB and FS. Draw that line under the D.

You then get left with say Trubisky or Mariota, but in the draft you add a QB, stud WR prospect and another couple of pieces at RB and TE. In theory you could do that with your first 4 picks IF we sorted LB and FS in free agency.

Mariota would be funny. He had a great 2018 and was looking like he'd be something. Got hurt against us and has been mediocre ever since.  OK, getting injured against us might have just been a coincidence.

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

He was playing injured the bulk of the year. He’s nowhere near as bad as he looked in ‘21.

My problem w/him is we have a 4 year sample size now and it’s all uneven w/a lower than top 10 overall ceiling to his best play and lots of injuries mixed w/a performance level that looks like peak Dalton or perhaps a bit worse than that. Basically he looks league average or slightly better on his typical healthy day. That shouldn’t be our objective unless it comes very cheap. We are trying to find a plus QB not a .500 QB. It’s also worth noting that the second OBJ got out of there he went from waiver wire production to an above average #2 starter. I can live w/Baker as a cheap bridge guy because there’s a long shot chance he can become above average but he’s not a solution if you are looking for a legit game changing QB and that’s what I want.

I hear you, but if someone is gonna make excuses for Mayfield (injuries, lost teammates, etc) then you have to do the same for Heinicke. TH dealt with the loss of both running backs, his top TE and his #2 WR and that was before COVID hit over half of the roster (including himself). His defense also didn't show up til halfway through the season. You know when Baker is at his best in my opinion, when Chubb and Hunt are running the ball over 30 times a game and he doesn't have to do too much. When they're able to stay with the run the Browns can beat just about anyone, but when Baker has to do too much they're a different team. You can pretty much say the same thing about TH, Jimmy G, and others....

I just wouldn't want to pay Baker Mayfield a franchise QB contract based on what he's done so far in his career the same as I was glad we didn't pay Cousins for all of his inconsistencies. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Jay on a recent podcast.  Talkng about the 2018 draft.

He said Derwin James was in the mix.    He also said as for the best tackle, the room was split between Vea and Payne.  But Tampa made that easy by taking Vea.

Think just about everyone wanted James. Could you imagine a James/Curl Safety duo right now? But Payne is a fine player and could still get better. I wouldn't cry too much over that one.

Where we really effed up was 2019 taking Haskins. IIRC we were gonna take Brian Burns at that spot. Could you imagine if we took Burns and still traded up for Sweat? Than in 2020 we would have no need for Young and could take Herbert. We'd also still have our 2nd round pick where we could get someone like...Jonathan Taylor.

This team is probably a Super Bowl contender right now if those drafts went down that way...maybe in another universe.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Think just about everyone wanted James. Could you imagine a James/Curl Safety duo right now? But Payne is a fine player and could still get better. I wouldn't cry too much over that one.

Where we really effed up was 2019 taking Haskins. IIRC we were gonna take Brian Burns at that spot. Could you imagine if we took Burns and still traded up for Sweat? Than in 2020 we would have no need for Young and could take Herbert. We'd also still have our 2nd round pick where we could get someone like...Jonathan Taylor.

This team is probably a Super Bowl contender right now if those drafts went down that way...maybe in another universe.

I wanted James.  And I did like Vea over Payne.  But Vea did go first.  Payne's been good, pretty much what i expected, I laud him among other things for his durability.

As for Haskins, definitely a miss.  Rumors from what i recall was they'd have taken Sweat or Darnell Savage.  I don't recall Burns mentioned so I guess I missed he was in the conversation, too. 

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wanted James.  And I did like Vea over Payne.  But Vea did go first.  Payne's been good, pretty much what i expected, I laud him among other things for his durability.

As for Haskins, definitely a miss.  Rumors from what i recall was they'd have taken Sweat or Darnell Savage.  I don't recall Burns mentioned so I guess I missed he was in the conversation, too. 

I think Haskins cost us a shot at my favorite player by name: GREEDY Williams.

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don’t think Burns was in the convo. I liked him more than Sweat because he had an arsenal of pass rush moves coming out of college that Sweat didn’t. Haskins essentially cost us those 2 2nd rounders incl #34 in 2020

Mayfield is our best option at 11 and somewhat realistic in that you can make a reasonable argument for why he’d be available. If you can get him for just 11 he’s also very worth his cost.

Issues with this scenario: he probably costs more than a 1. But not too much more. And, quite frankly, if Cleveland lets him go who is their QB? Are they comfortable with Keenum?