Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

19 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I barely post anymore, but just thought I'd add 2 cents on the QB's in the draft. 

2020 Corral went 21/28 for 365 yards, 2 TD's and rushed for another 40 against Alabama, who wound up ranked 2nd. ..Corral would be my choice at 11. 

Heck after that Alabama game, Corral would be my choice at 4. I think he has the stuff

Kipers' new big board.  Going by memory, Kiper more than most has ended up wrong about the QBs.   Among other things he still thinks Daniel Jones is a franchise QB and is better than any of the QBs in this draft, was so sure that Clausen was bust proof he said he'd quit if he was wrong. 

But I give him credit for helping make the draft an event, and from what I've heard he's a super nice guy, he has an entertaininig podcast which I like to listen to.  So I got no problem with him albeit I take his picks with a grain of salt.

Mel Kiper in 2007: 'Why not Brady Quinn here' after Detroit Lions draft Calvin Johnson

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/07/10/mel-kiper-in-2007-why-not-brady-quinn-here-after-detroit-lions-draft-calvin-johnson/

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33132557/nfl-draft-2022-rankings-top-25-prospects-best-position-mel-kiper-big-board-college-football-season

16. Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt

HT: 6-3 | WT: 220 | Previously: 20

Pickett was the second quarterback taken in my mock draft, but he's still No. 1 on my board. As of now, he's the guy I feel most comfortable about as an NFL starter. Pickett was incredibly impressive in 2021, throwing 42 touchdown passes with seven interceptions. He was up and down the previous two seasons, with 18 picks and an average of 6.9 yards per attempt. He averaged 8.7 this season, taking a huge step in every way. Pickett is accurate to all three levels of the field, has shown patience in taking the checkdown throws when necessary and has good zip on his throws.

My comp for him has been a combo of Derek Carr/Andy Dalton, and NFL teams can win with that kind of guy. As I mentioned in my mock draft, hand size is an issue, and some teams could be scared away from that, because he's expected to have below nine-inch hands, which has been one of the benchmarks for quarterbacks. But there's a lot to like with his improvement, and his ability to use his legs to maneuver the pocket and scramble when he has to is underrated.

2335.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

HT: 6-1 | WT: 215 | Previously: NR

Willis has been a tough evaluation because of the talent around him. He had to elevate his teammates because he didn't get a lot of help; he was sacked 51 times in 2021, which led the FBS. But as I wrote in my mock draft, NFL evaluators are really high on his ceiling, and he's the most talented quarterback in this class. Can he reach that ceiling? That will depend on the situation in which he lands, but the hope is that once he gets around NFL talent, those players can elevate him.

The Auburn transfer threw 27 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions in 2021, but he had three different three-pick games. He added 13 scores on the ground. His completion percentage dropped from his breakout 2020 season (64.2% to 61.1%), but again, that's not all on him. Willis will be at the Senior Bowl in February, which means he's going to get his shot to impress, as six of the top seven QBs in this class will also be there.

25. Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss

HT: 6-0 | WT: 200 | Previously: NR

Corral is the lone top quarterback in this class who won't be at the Senior Bowl in February; he's not eligible to compete because he hasn't earned his degree from Ole Miss. Still, he's firmly in the mix to be the top signal-caller. I went deeper on his upside in September and wrote about what I liked about his game in October. He's not the biggest quarterback, but he has touch and accuracy and a good-enough arm. He's tough; he injured his ankle in the Rebels' bowl game but is expected to be ready to throw at his pro day in March. Corral finished the season with 31 total touchdowns -- 20 passing, 11 rushing -- and five interceptions. He had two awful games in 2020 in which he three 11 picks, but he avoided those this past season. I also love his ability to use his legs to maneuver the pocket, and he has shown some speed once he does escape the pocket.

Quarterbacks

1. Kenny Pickett, Pitt
2. Malik Willis, Liberty
3. Matt Corral, Ole Miss
4. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati
5. Sam Howell, North Carolina
6. Carson Strong, Nevada
7. Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky
8. Kaleb Eleby, Western Michigan
9. Skylar Thompson, Kansas State
10. Dustin Crum, Kent State

16 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Unsustainable outlier, plus Foles isn't in the Super Bowl without Carson Wentz in superman mode until the injury, and Tom Brady ended up in the Super Bowl on the other side. Outliers always beg to differ but in the long run they don't differ at all. 

I would also say you need a different type of NFL season than normal.  This one would also do.  No teams were that dominant.  Some of the best defenses got that way by beating up on weak schedules (like we did in 2020).

It's not an outlier, just uncommon.

2019 had Ryan Tannehill and Jimmy G in the conference game.  Jimmy then went to the Superbowl.  They crushed Aaron Rodgers in the conference game 37-20 despite Jimmy having only net 69 passing yards (77 with an 8 yard sack).

In 2018, Jared Goff was in the Super Bowl.

In 2017 we already mentioned 75% of the QB's in the conference games were below average.

In 2016 we had Matt Ryan, an above average QB being boosted by Shanahans schemes to look elite.

In 2015 we had a semi-washed Carson Palmer bouyed by a really talented team and the corpse of Peyton Manning in the conference games.  Manning would then win the Super Bowl.

In 2012 the Super Bowl was Flacco vs Kaepernick right when the read-option concept was brand new to the NFL.

2011 was basically a repeat of 2017.  Eli Manning won it all, and statistically his career level of play is as league average as you can get.  Flacco was also there, as was Alex Smith in the conference games.

Great QB's get you opportunities in the playoffs year in and year out.  Elite ones can go on a run and throw their team to victory.  But the NFL for decades now, has proven that really talented rosters can take you on a playoff run.

I would argue Peyton Manning is the 2nd best QB to ever play.  In 2013 his offense got stomped by one of the best defenses ever.

Building a talented overall team is hard and needs a lot of luck. But even in this day and age it's shown to be a threat in the playoffs regardless of QB.

My hope is that we can add a talented back, a couple pieces to the back 7, and bring in a rookie qb that can lean on those two units while they develop - ala the Steelers under Roethlisberger.  I don’t think we’re that far off from having a very good D and ground game…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

25. Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss

HT: 6-0 | WT: 200 | Previously: NR

Corral is the lone top quarterback in this class who won't be at the Senior Bowl in February; he's not eligible to compete because he hasn't earned his degree from Ole Miss. Still, he's firmly in the mix to be the top signal-caller. I went deeper on his upside in September and wrote about what I liked about his game in October. He's not the biggest quarterback, but he has touch and accuracy and a good-enough arm. He's tough; he injured his ankle in the Rebels' bowl game but is expected to be ready to throw at his pro day in March. Corral finished the season with 31 total touchdowns -- 20 passing, 11 rushing -- and five interceptions. He had two awful games in 2020 in which he three 11 picks, but he avoided those this past season. I also love his ability to use his legs to maneuver the pocket, and he has shown some speed once he does escape the pocket.

I've seen similar sentiments about Corral's arm: basically "Its decent"

I don't really agree. I think he has an excellent arm. It's not quite at Willis's level but it's not that far behind IMO. I've watched his games and I've seen him absolutely sling it and make very impressive far side hash out throws on ropes. Also seen him throw plenty of off-platform lasers into tight windows, etc. I think it's an underrated aspect of his game.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ridder is really growing on me a lot.

I am the opposite, I am becoming more skeptical that any of them are franchise QB's.    If I could pick one, I would pick Malik Willis because at least with him I know I am getting elite physical tools to work with even if he has a long way to go.

45 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Didn't see this posted, but Daniel Jeremiah posted his first mock:

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-kenny-pickett-malik-willis-among-3-qbs

Has us taking Coral (Picket goes 9)

God I hate that mock draft.  I hope the real one doesn't end up that way.  Our division rivals land future studs with all of their picks and we settle for the QB I feel the most uneasy about at 11 while Malik Willis drops to 31.

• Like 1

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

God I hate that mock draft.  I hope the real one doesn't end up that way.  Our division rivals land future studs with all of their picks and we settle for the QB I feel the most uneasy about at 11 while Malik Willis drops to 31.

It feels like the momentum is on Lloyd "overtaking" Dean as the top LB.  He's certainly bigger.  I hope the Giants "reach" for an edge rusher instead of taking Lloyd.  They are assured of taking an o-lineman with one of their picks.  

38 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

It feels like the momentum is on Lloyd "overtaking" Dean as the top LB.  He's certainly bigger.  I hope the Giants "reach" for an edge rusher instead of taking Lloyd.  They are assured of taking an o-lineman with one of their picks.  

Lloyd is a legit day 1 true MLB and Dean is a 43 will, like Davis. 

Demone Clarcke, Lloyd Harris and Muma are the top  MLBs.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

Profootball Network mock

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/cam-mellors-2022-nfl-mock-draft-matt-corral-kenny-pickett-sam-howell-become-first-round-franchise-quarterbacks/

9) Denver Broncos: Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss

Matt Corral is the first quarterback selected in this 2022 NFL Mock Draft as he goes to the Denver Broncos under GM George Paton. Sure, they’ve got to figure out a coaching staff, but a franchise quarterback is also needed. Corral has arm strength for days and understands his arm angles better than anyone in the class.

He’ll drive his throws when necessary and layer shots over coverages as needed. Corral also owns raw athleticism to make time in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. He’s the future in Denver and could ultimately seal Paton’s fate as a GM if he is the pick.

11) Washington Football Team: Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

The Washington Football Team doesn’t grab a quarterback in this mock draft, or at least not in the first round. This likely has a lot to do with the fact that Derek Stingley Jr. is available here. Stingley has a stellar set of film from the 2019 season. The only problem? He didn’t quite replicate that over the past two seasons.

Yet, Stingley’s upside and potential high-level play he offered during that fabulous 2019 season are too much to pass up. If he can reignite that ability he showcased, he’s got the best ball skills the NFL Draft has seen in some time. And Washington gets a lockdown cornerback for a decade-plus.

20) Pittsburgh Steelers: Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina

The answer to their woes is here at pick No. 20. The Pittsburgh Steelers select their future franchise quarterback in Sam Howell after he entered the year penciled in as one of the favorites to be the first overall pick. Howell has more than enough arm strength and athleticism to see success in the NFL but has to account for some accuracy issues on a consistent basis.

If Howell can return to the form that saw him dominate the action in 2020 with a star-studded cast, he can absolutely turn the Steelers around. They’ll need some offensive line help, but they need a quarterback first, and Howell is that guy.

31) Detroit Lions (From LAR): Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

The future is here for the Detroit Lions as Kenny Pickett‘s slide stops at 31. Pickett will have to answer the inevitable “small hands” questions throughout the draft circuit, but one thing is certain about the former Pitt Panther: he’s a gamer. Pickett gives his team the best chance to win the game by protecting the football and slinging it into places only a few can.

He will throw his receivers open, buy time in the pocket with his athleticism, and find receivers downfield with accuracy to every level. He’ll need some help from his weapons, but Pickett is no stranger to elevating his cast around him.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Profootball Network mock

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/cam-mellors-2022-nfl-mock-draft-matt-corral-kenny-pickett-sam-howell-become-first-round-franchise-quarterbacks/

9) Denver Broncos: Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss

Matt Corral is the first quarterback selected in this 2022 NFL Mock Draft as he goes to the Denver Broncos under GM George Paton. Sure, they’ve got to figure out a coaching staff, but a franchise quarterback is also needed. Corral has arm strength for days and understands his arm angles better than anyone in the class.

He’ll drive his throws when necessary and layer shots over coverages as needed. Corral also owns raw athleticism to make time in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. He’s the future in Denver and could ultimately seal Paton’s fate as a GM if he is the pick.

11) Washington Football Team: Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

The Washington Football Team doesn’t grab a quarterback in this mock draft, or at least not in the first round. This likely has a lot to do with the fact that Derek Stingley Jr. is available here. Stingley has a stellar set of film from the 2019 season. The only problem? He didn’t quite replicate that over the past two seasons.

Yet, Stingley’s upside and potential high-level play he offered during that fabulous 2019 season are too much to pass up. If he can reignite that ability he showcased, he’s got the best ball skills the NFL Draft has seen in some time. And Washington gets a lockdown cornerback for a decade-plus.

20) Pittsburgh Steelers: Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina

The answer to their woes is here at pick No. 20. The Pittsburgh Steelers select their future franchise quarterback in Sam Howell after he entered the year penciled in as one of the favorites to be the first overall pick. Howell has more than enough arm strength and athleticism to see success in the NFL but has to account for some accuracy issues on a consistent basis.

If Howell can return to the form that saw him dominate the action in 2020 with a star-studded cast, he can absolutely turn the Steelers around. They’ll need some offensive line help, but they need a quarterback first, and Howell is that guy.

31) Detroit Lions (From LAR): Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

The future is here for the Detroit Lions as Kenny Pickett‘s slide stops at 31. Pickett will have to answer the inevitable “small hands” questions throughout the draft circuit, but one thing is certain about the former Pitt Panther: he’s a gamer. Pickett gives his team the best chance to win the game by protecting the football and slinging it into places only a few can.

He will throw his receivers open, buy time in the pocket with his athleticism, and find receivers downfield with accuracy to every level. He’ll need some help from his weapons, but Pickett is no stranger to elevating his cast around him.

I doubt 4 safeties go in the 1rst.

If Stingly is there at 11 that is a very possibility for a trade back partner and with Corral gone, I'd pull that trigger or draft Lloyd.

I keep coming back to this idea of swapping 1rsts with someone, but if someone in the 20's wanted to do that, what would be the price? Like if we swapped firsts with the Steelers, what would be the cost? 1rst next year and a 3rd? I'd definitely do that.

I see Ridders name coming up a lot, so who knows. I don't think he makes it to the 2nd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I see Ridders name coming up a lot, so who knows. I don't think he makes it to the 2nd.

for Ridder among others, Senior Bowl is king.  

I suspect Howell and Strong are really going to show big in the Senior Bowl IMO because they are accurate on all three levels, have nice touch and can showcase a strong arm -- the Senior Bowl is a perfect setting for that.

Willis has the strong arm but accuracy can be hit and miss.  Ridder, ditto in terms of accuracy.  

I was maybe the lead dance here as far as liking Ridder as a 2nd rounder in 2020 when some thought he was coming out.  I still like him in the 2nd.  I am not sure if I like him in the first.

The thing I have a hard time getting out of my head about Ridder is his struggles with simple quick out routes in the flat where he struggles to hit WRs in stride and that weakness is soooo Haskins to me.  But he has better mobility and intangibles than Haskins.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

yeah its a no for me with Ridder and I loved watching him and Cincy the past few years... plus they made me some good $$$ over the past two seasons :) I just dont see the accuracy

I remember watching that Bama/ Ole Miss game 2 seasons ago and man E Moore is so freaking good. M Corral balled out against about the best college D you're going to see. Mostly accurate, good scrambling, eyes downfield... I'm not sure how 6 2'' is an issue, its not ideal height but I dont think its an issue. I think he can add NFL bulk as well. I keep flipping on Howell/Corral 1a1b... The scramble ability of Corral is special, reminds me of russell wilson I think... and a decent comp minus the air Wilson puts on his deep ball. 

No way the first QB is taken at 9 and no way we get Corral at 11... too many QB needy teams out there. We better move up 

Edited by Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing I have a hard time getting out of my head about Ridder is his struggles with simple quick out routes in the flat where he struggles to hit WRs in stride and that weakness is soooo Haskins to me.  But he has better mobility and intangibles than Haskins.

This was something that stood out to me as well when watching Ridder and I was like "omg, Haskins"

Luckily he doesn't seem to have the motivation and maturity issues that Haskins did, so I'm sure it's correctable. But still a big knock and one reason I wouldn't take him in the 1st. Worth a 2nd rounder though as long as you have patience.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

This was something that stood out to me as well when watching Ridder and I was like "omg, Haskins"

Luckily he doesn't seem to have the motivation and maturity issues that Haskins did, so I'm sure it's correctable. But still a big knock and one reason I wouldn't take him in the 1st. Worth a 2nd rounder though as long as you have patience.

Hitting the out routes is actually one of the harder problems to fix. Generally it has to do with the way you throw when the pattern is to the sideline. Mechanics and arm strength. It CAN be corrected, but the higher level you go the harder it is to correct. 

I think Ridder is a great guy to draft in the second or even the first if you're a team with a QB for now and want to develop a guy. He'll be available later in the first, not too hard to get into the back end of the first and snag him on a rookie deal... then let him sit for a year.

If Brady plays another year Tampa would be a good spot to see if he has anything, for instance.

What Ridder shouldn't be asked to do is be the man on day 1. It's not fair to him. He needs some polish.

I'm not high on him but I don't think he's a failure waiting to happen. He can amount to something. But he needs seasoning. He needs to marinade a little. If he gets that chance and lands on a good team he could be dangerous. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I would argue Peyton Manning is the 2nd best QB to ever play.  In 2013 his offense got stomped by one of the best defenses ever.

Building a talented overall team is hard and needs a lot of luck. But even in this day and age it's shown to be a threat in the playoffs regardless of QB.

Just to build on your point, the really interesting part about Peyton Manning and John Elway’s Super Bowl win is that they only won after they were no longer elite in fact they weren’t even good QBs by the time they got their rings. 

I'm now at the point where I really don't care which QB we draft as long as we draft one(assuming we don't get a quality vet)and the entire organization is all in on him. It can't be a situation where the owner wants him but the coach doesn't or the same old crap that has plagued us the entire Snyder Era.