Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF guy on a Galdi podcast, he went on for quite some time.  Entertaining.

A.  Heinicke.  He said he's entertaining to watch, but a lot of ups and downs.  He agrees they need a QB.   He said a key reason but not the only reason for Heinicke being a high variance QB can be seen by charting his throws like he does, he says he throws a lot of turnover worthy plays so in some games he has some luck when those throws aren't picked off and in others his luck runs out.

B.  He likes Scott Turner and his scheme.  He says when he charts their games, he sees a lot of guys running wide open.  They need the QB to exploit that.

C.  Likes Carson Strong, likes his arm strength.  Mobility-injuries are the red flags

D.  Malik Willis you need patience with

E.  He thinks Pickett and Corral are pro ready.  He thinks Pickett's hand size is a real red flag that he suspects will bother some teams

F.  He think their O line is legit good.  4 centers on the same team graded 60 and above he said is a miracle.  Praised Matsko. 

G.  He said they'd miss Scherff but he doesn't think they'd miss too much of a beat with Schweitzer.  He wouldn't pay guards big money.

H.  He thinks this offense has enough weapons to win if they land a QB.  He doesn't think they are loaded on offense but they are close enough if guys get healthy

I.  The defenses early struggles was about the secondary.  Playing a zone scheme with new guys who struggled trusting their teammates when they were running zone match schemes.  The previous season the secondary was much better in synch

J.  William Jackson struggled but came on strong at the end, so he's optimistic that he will be good next season

H. Jamin Davis he sees as an outside LB, maybe even hybrid, use his range to cover ground, close things down in space.    He's not a read and react Mike LB, its hard to play that spot, you got to process things fast. 

I. Kendall Fuller is better at this stage of his career as an outside CB, not that hot in the slot anymore.  

I could see Steong getting a 2nd round grade but dropping to 4 or 5th on injury. I think it's worth a look.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Carr hits the market I think the bounty will be similar to Stafford

I think Rivera knows something. He seems very confident about this offseason. I think Rodgers is moving I could see him going to Raiders. I think if that happens we get Carr. Green Bay will go into rebuild and play Love for one year then draft a QB next year. I think you get Carr. You see what Stafford did for the Rams. Carr can do the same thing.

If the Raiders hire the packers OC there is definitely some smoke to this.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Carr hits the market I think the bounty will be similar to Stafford

2 firsts and a QB? We don't have a QB with the tradability of Goff, so I assume you're talking about Sweat. 

That's why I was saying swap our 1rsts this year (second equivalent) and 2 firsts.

24 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think Rivera knows something. He seems very confident about this offseason. I think Rodgers is moving I could see him going to Raiders. I think if that happens we get Carr. Green Bay will go into rebuild and play Love for one year then draft a QB next year. I think you get Carr. You see what Stafford did for the Rams. Carr can do the same thing.

Has the Packer's OC been interviewed by the Raiders for HC?

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

2 firsts and a QB? We don't have a QB with the tradability of Goff, so I assume you're talking about Sweat. 

That's why I was saying swap our 1rsts this year (second equivalent) and 2 firsts.

It wasn't really 2 first and a QB for Stafford.  It was 2 firsts for Stafford and taking on Goff's contract.  Lions don't save any money by cutting Goff until 2023.

• Like 1

Was listening to the below and Ian Cummings from PFN said that one of the main reasons why Mat Corral cut down on his interceptions was because Lane Kifin simplified his offense for him. He basically said that Corral has trouble reading/processing higher levels of complication and had that as a red flag for him. It’s kind of similar to what @stevemcqueen1 mentioned in his breakdown a page or so back. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Strong's growing on me, not that I disliked him. It's a shame about his knees and mobility concerns.

I've watched Strong every time I could last season, from game 1.  Even though I spent a lot of time on him, took me a longish to make up my mind, he's the biggest grower on me.   He's not someone I'd take at 11 but if his knee checks out I'd be more than cool with him in the 2nd or a trade up to the late first.  

He IMO throws the best deep ball in this class.  Howell and Corral also throw it well but I'd take Strong's deep ball over theirs.  He has good accuracy in all three levels.   He can make some of the best wicked throws, incuding deep outs.  Tight window throws. 

I see draftnik types are all over the place about his pocket presence, some say is a strength, some say its a weakness.  IMO its a weakness.  I don't think he sees pressure coming off the edge well, similar in that way to Howell IMO.   He also struggles to throw off platform.  A lot of times he doesn't even step back, ala 3 steps, etc.  He just gets the ball and throws.   Sometimes that seems to be a bad habit where it looks like his power is coming purely from his upper body.

IMO

Pluses:  arm strength, accuracy, very active as far as calling protections from what I can see, high intangibles

Negatives:  his knee, off platform throws, mobility, pocket presence

Good interview here for those who are interested, about 30 minutes, comes off charamatic, smart.  He suggested he didn't play healthy this year, his knee is getting better now and he feels better now. 

He seemed to imply he is throwing better, harder,too.  He has pretty wicked arm strength as is but if he wasn't playing with a full deck as far as his lower body as he said -- its intrigung to me if he can elevate that even higher.  He said he's adding some power now from his legs into his throws versus what he did this season where his power was coming purely from his arm.   If he wasn't playing with a full deck as far as his power in his arm, then wow, love to see the bigger version of it.

He comes off VERY conscious of his knee issues.    Does rehab every day.  He said he's working on strengthing it, working with a knee specialiist who worked with Joe Burrow.

He's training right now with Desmond Ridder with Jordan Palmer.  He's a Raiders fan. 

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/the-carson-strong-show-update-on-nfl-training-breaking-down-upcoming-senior-bowl-more

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It doesn't have to be a QB.  My guess is 2 firsts or the equivalent of two firsts so slightly less than what Stafford brought.

Lol, its funny Jay Gruden said recently in a podcasts he'd trade two firsts and Sweat for Carr.  I don't think i'd go that far myself. Shanny likes Carr.  Cooley really likes Carr.   i know some on the board think Carr = yawn.  But there are some smart people about QBs who really dig him.  Not that I needed to hear it from them, I've been a fan on my own. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I've said the same about Rivera.  There is some odd confidence about him getting that QB.  He has his mouth piece basically put on the team's web site that is unacceptable to miss out on this spot.  Comes off like a dude who either is delusional as heck or has some deal cooking already.  Hopefully its the later.

I think I might be wasting my time watching all these QBs. :ols:  I am so behind watching other spots because I've been so obssessed with watching these Qbs.  I've never spent so much time watching 6 players over and over again like i've done with these QBs.

Yeah I'd love to have Carr, hope you are right.  A lot of buzz about Denver trading for Rodgers.  Denver IMO has a much better supporting cast than the Raiders if Rodgers is in win now mode.  But Vegas is even closer to the west coast where he supposedly wants to be.  

Edit:  as I typed that just watched Schefter talk about this. He just said Rodgers has all the leverage with how the contract was restructured, GB's cap situation, the threat of him retiring.  The panel that talked about this with Schefter, thinks he will leave.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said the same about Rivera.  There is some odd confidence about him getting that QB.  He has his mouth piece basically put on the team's web site that is unacceptable to miss out on this spot.  Comes off like a dude who either is delusional as heck or has some deal cooking already.  Hopefully its the later.

I think I might be wasting my time watching all these QBs. :ols:  I am so behind watching other spots because I've been so obssessed with watching these Qbs.  I've never spent so much time watching 6 players over and over again like i've done with these QBs.

Yeah I'd love to have Carr, hope you are right.  A lot of buzz about Denver trading for Rodgers.  Denver IMO has a much better supporting cast than the Raiders if Rodgers is in win now mode.  But Vegas is even closer to the west coast where he supposedly wants to be.  

I agree. I don't like Wilson. Not for any sensible reason. I just don't. :ols: I have a feeling it's him though. It's the only real home run possible. Mixed feelings on Carr, Watson yikes, Rodgers personality meshing with Ron doesn't seem likely. Everyone else seems to be on board with Wilson for the most part. 

Can't go dropping a Trubisky after a build up like this. Not even a Ryan or Jimmy G. It's got to be one of those two.

I really like that Rodgers to the Raiders theory, but they're not that close. Denver is a QB away. Wilson doesn't want to go to DC. NY seems likely, but with their hires it screams Trubs.

Usually it gets really boring after the superbowl, but not this year. There is a real shift happening in the NFL and the way FA/trades are going to work going forward. Especially if the Rams win it all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree. I don't like Wilson. Not for any sensible reason. I just don't. :ols: I have a feeling it's him though. It's the only real home run possible. Mixed feelings on Carr, Watson yikes, Rodgers personality meshing with Ron doesn't seem likely. Everyone else seems to be on board with Wilson for the most part. 

Can't go dropping a Trubisky after a build up like this. Not even a Ryan or Jimmy G. It's got to be one of those two.

I really like that Rodgers to the Raiders theory, but they're not that close. Denver is a QB away. Wilson doesn't want to go to DC. NY seems likely, but with their hires it screams Trubs.

Usually it gets really boring after the superbowl, but not this year. There is a real shift happening in the NFL and the way FA/trades are going to work going forward. Especially if the Rams win it all.

Carr, Wilson and Ryan seem like Rivera's kind of QB's. I think it's one of these guys Rivera is eyeing. My gut is Wilson is the target regardless of any talk of where he wants to go.  I could see Rayn being a sneaky dark horse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Carr, Wilson and Ryan seem like Rivera's kind of QB's. I think it's one of these guys Rivera is eyeing. My gut is Wilson is the target regardless of any talk of where he wants to go.  I could see Rayn being a sneaky dark horse.

I don't think Ryan moves the needle at all, personally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Was listening to the below and Ian Cummings from PFN said that one of the main reasons why Mat Corral cut down on his interceptions was because Lane Kifin simplified his offense for him. He basically said that Corral has trouble reading/processing higher levels of complication and had that as a red flag for him. It’s kind of similar to what @stevemcqueen1 mentioned in his breakdown a page or so back. 

Corral talked about being wiser with his decision making.  Ole Miss is a collegy style of offense as we've talked about plenty about him -- heavy RPO, high tempo, spread.   So it not being an NFL progression style offense isn't a revelation. 

As for Cummings, if I recall until about a year or so he was writing for either Riggo Rag or another WFT fan site.  He was hired now for PFN.  I like some of his takes but he's no different than any of us here spewing opinions. 

Based on that point, is Cummings implying Kiffin ran an NFL progression style offense until last season?  If so that's not true from what I can tell.  But in fairness to Cummings, I'll listen to his take before challenging it.  Because if his point is simply that Ole Miss runs a simplified college offense.  Yep.  That narrative is talked about to death in the context of Corral anywhere and everywhere.  It's part of the soup with Corral but the point doesn't only apply to him.  I've been pimping Corral all season long and just about always mentioned that as a disclaimer along with his slight build.

Here's a lot of Kiffin talk about Corral cutting down picks among other things.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32145928/how-lane-kiffin-matt-corral-stories-intertwined-flourished-ole-miss

Corral, the first-team quarterback on the Preseason Coaches All-SEC team, can't begin to count the ways he has matured as a quarterback under the tutelage of Kiffin and Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby. But the biggest step toward establishing himself as one of the nation's premier quarterbacks will be cutting down on his miscues. Corral was responsible for 17 of the Rebels' 18 turnovers a season ago as a redshirt sophomore, including 14 interceptions.

But in his first season as the starter and after learning a new system under Kiffin and Lebby, Corral led the country in total offense (384.3 yards per game). He also finished as the only FBS player with more than 500 rushing yards (506) and more than 2,700 passing yards (3,337 yards) -- and did it in 10 games.

Not only that, but going back to 2015, Corral joined a select few in college football to have passed for more than 3,300 yards and rushed for more than 500 yards in the same season. Among the others in that exclusive club: Trevor Lawrence, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson and Dak Prescott.

"If Matt limits his turnovers, and unless I'm an idiot, he's going in the first round [of the NFL draft] and probably the top half of it," said Kiffin, who was blown away the first time he saw Corral throw the ball.

"He was throwing it 70 yards with accuracy, and he's not a huge guy [6-foot-2, 205 pounds]. But his whole upper body is loose, really loose. When he does our flexibility test where he puts his arms back, it's amazing how far back he can go. He's also a very good quarterback scrambler. He's not going to be the fastest guy at the [NFL] combine, but he's got really good feet and is slippery once he starts running."

...Now, not a day goes by that Corral isn't popping into Kiffin's office to chat, texting him about some new formation or following him around on the sideline as soon as he comes out of a scrimmage to soak up anything and everything he can from a guy who was hired to be an NFL head coach at the age of 31.

"That's ridiculous. He was only nine years older than I am right now, but he's changed my whole perspective of how I approach the game," Corral said. "Really, he and Coach Lebby both have. They opened up my mind to where I see things I never did before, especially now that I'm in my second year with them.

Kiffin is confident Corral will be significantly better this season when it comes to his decision-making on the field and not thinking he has to do too much. A big part of it is that the Rebels should be improved defensively with several new additions, including transfers, and senior safety Otis Reese being available all season. Ole Miss finished close to the bottom nationally in most defensive categories a season ago.

"After those first three games [when the Rebels gave up 51, 41 and 63 points], Matt probably felt like we had to score on every series," Kiffin said. "Remember, the Arkansas game came right after the Alabama game where we scored 48 points, gained 647 yards and still lost by 15."

,,,Manning also felt Corral's pain last season in watching him try to match score for score. The Rebels gave up more than 30 points in seven of their 10 games.

"You can definitely play the position differently when your confidence level goes up about your defense," Manning said. "That's not a good feeling when you trot out there and say, 'We've got to get seven points on this drive, seven points on the next one and seven points on the next one just to stay in the game.' That's a hard way to play the quarterback position."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/02/lane-kiffin-on-matt-corral-hes-gonna-make-a-great-nfl-player/

Kiffin also addressed his own emotions after seeing Corral get injured.

“That’s obviously a difficult situation, especially when a kid’s playing in the game, you know, so my mind raced with a lot of thoughts right there, you know, and that’s just my love for him, just like I would if it was my own son in that situation,” Kiffin said, via ESPN.com. “Maybe I didn’t do a great enough job with the team, because I was really hurting for him in that situation because I know how much he’s put into it, how much it means to him. And for that to be taken away like that, you know, it really sucks.”

While the injury could impact Corral’s draft stock and delay his ability to make a difference when his career commences, Kiffin (the former coach of the Raiders) is confident that Corral eventually will become a great NFL player.

“He’s gonna make a great NFL player and do great for a franchise,” Kiffin said. He added a concrete example of the leadership Corral will be able to provide.

“He’s been unbelievable and things that you don’t see besides the playing, just how he is,” Kiffin said. “And I had a cool moment this morning, the team meeting, just listening to him talk. And I told our own coaches and players, ‘You can be a freshman and you’re supposed to listen to the leaders. You can be a 50-year-old coach, and you should listen to this guy.'”

Hopefully, the injury won’t prevent Corral from doing that at the next level, even if it may delay it for a bit.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 1.24.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 1.25.40 PM.png

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like Wilson, he's probably to my eyes the most clutch QB in the NFL over the last 20 years or so.  I agree they will shoot hard at him.  Watson strikes me too wild -- the perfect nightmare PR marriage on both ends.   Rodgers to Denver has been the hot rumor for a long time.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah it feels like a friend telling us, look if they aren't dating a model then they consider themselves losers.  With that build up, you figure they already are on the brink of doing it. 

That's why to me its either Rivera is delusional as heck or confident based on some inside info.

Watching the TN game last night and it clicked for me that Corral reminds me of Tannehill.  Like a shorter version of him who is even twitchier.  Smooth balance in the pocket movement, easy arm strength with the compact motion.  Lots of rapidity to the way they operate inside the pocket.  And similar decisiveness but Corral will have to improve his accuracy to match Tannehill's, especially on throws down the seams and deep downfield.

If we get Russell Wilson, we become a serious super bowl contender.  That would be an absolutely stunning coup.  I would be over the moon.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Thanks for te heads up, I watched it. I knew Cummings was a big Pickett guy, that's been his guy since early this last season.   I also knew he wasn't much of Corral guy because while others tout the heck about Corral's ability to manipulate defenses via body language, Cummings doesn't typically mention that for Corral, and says that's Pickett's strength, instead.

So the Pickett love from him I expected.  I was surprised about the Carson Strong love.  Cummings, isn't a scout, like i said he's dude who was kicking around with one of the WFT fan sites for years.  But he was one of my favorites to read, so no knock on him from me.   For what its worth.  His take for this team was, he'd rank them:

1. Pickett

2. Carson Strong

3. Corral

But Pickett and Strong by a good margin.

He had some pause about Pickett's hand size and one year of production.  Strong checks to him all the boxes for him aside from mobility.  Corral he picked as #3 for the WFT.  He thinks the Ole Miss offense mirrors some of what Turner likes to do but has some pause about Corral per your post albeit he didn't really elaborate much on that point, he just threw it out there like that.

He attacked Ridder the most, wonders if it will ever come together for him, issues with his mechanics and accuracy, he doesn't hate him but he gave a hard disclaimer on him.  He's not that high on Howell but doesn't hate him.  He likes Willis' upside but thinks he's a bit raw for this team.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watching the TN game last night and it clicked for me that Corral reminds me of Tannehill.  Like a shorter version of him who is even twitchier.  Smooth balance in the pocket movement, easy arm strength with the compact motion.  Lots of rapidity to the way they operate inside the pocket.  And similar decisiveness but Corral will have to improve his accuracy to match Tannehill's, especially on throws down the seams and deep downfield.

Tannehill bring me back to a dude we both liked on the board DarrellGreenie.   I chatted with him a bunch including off this board via email in 2012, he was a big Tannehill guy among others.

To me Tannehill, the college version, reminds me a little of Pickett, too.  I recall Tannehill in college just loved rolling in the pocket and throwing on the move.  Not that Corral doesn't do that.  But when I think of boots, Pickett hit me before any of these guys.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we get Russell Wilson, we become a serious super bowl contender.  That would be an absolutely stunning coup.  I would be over the moon.

Yeah, me too.  Good news is I get the vibe that they will shoot hard for him.  Now do we land him, that's a different story.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

He's not my top guy and I don't want him at 11, but in a draft with no clear front runner I don't see the separation between the top 5or 6 guys. It's kinda like the Jones Haskins Lock debate years ago. One wound up being top 10, another a second rounder. But I thought they were all the same and was kinda in favor of whoever dropped. 

This year, I could see us going QB at 11 but I think it'd be a top 2 or 3 guy (Pickett Corral or Willis). Otherwise I think we go MLB or S and draft a QB in the second. 

Either way, I think we bring in a veteran before all this to have addressed the position in some way. I think it'll be a Keenum type player that allows us to pick bpa in the draft. But if it's a Smith/Brunell/McNabb type move then I think we're going Strong or Riddler. 

For me I think the top 4 are close.   I don't see Ridder in that same strata.  But in that next strata in the 2nd round, I am cool with it.  If Carson Strong's knee checks out, I would easily go with him over Ridder if they are both available in the 2nd.

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me I think the top 4 are close.   I don't see Ridder in that same strata.  But in that next strata in the 2nd round, I am cool with it.  If Carson Strong's knee checks out, I would easily go with him over Ridder if they are both available in the 2nd.

For the most part I agree with that. I'm always about the gaps though. So what's the gap between the top 4 and the next two. 

For example, we saw Burrow, Herbert and Tua in the first and Hurts in the second. Now there is a gap between the top and Hurts but maybe not between Tua and Hurts. And definitely not between Love and Hurts. 

If Riddler can come in and play like Hurts, I'm all for it because either he can grow into a legit all pro or we start again. Not saying we should get him. But just that I wouldn't be mad if we did, especially if we got a FS or MLB in the first. 

• Like 1