Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim has been harping on and off for weeks about Mike MLB.  So here he suggests it could happen early in the draft.  If so sounds like Rivera and staff are in love with one of them. 

I’m not sure Rivera will want to plug a rookie MLB in for the second straight year. I think we bring a vet in to do that role. It’s bitten him on the arse in a big way this year.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Dexter said:

I would be all over Justin Fields in a trade.  I highly doubt they trade him.

https://theathletic.com/3061132/2022/01/17/ranking-the-eight-nfl-head-coach-vacancies-by-their-appeal-to-candidates-mike-sandos-pick-six/

This is the article that said it. Not much really said there but they said it was an option. I could see that if they hire a coach who's not in love with him (ala Gruden and RG3 or Ron and Haskins). 

“From a roster construction standpoint, Chicago is a very desirable location if you ask me, including the fact that you could possibly trade (Justin) Fields,” said a coach who analyzed the Bears’ roster but did not vote in this poll.

I doubt any coach going in would trade Fields for anything other than a QB.

But he’d be a good get. Can still sign a bridge. Let the bridge, Fields and Heinicke compete. He’d be the best trade option from a contract/future perspective. 

I just don’t see it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

This actually makes me a little nervous. I believe "[x] is unaccepable" is a big time Dan Snyder thing that he uses a lot. IIRC there were reports that after his rookie season RG3 went to Shanny and said continuing to be a running QB was "unacceptable" and that's one way Shanny knew that Snyder was basically in RG3's ear. 

If it's just Snyder saying he really wants a good QB but he'll let Rivera figure out who best fits and how to get him, I'm fine with it. But if it's Snyder actually telling them who they should get then that's nothing but bad news.

No way to know.  But It wouldn't surprise me if Dan has an edict to get a guy, I'd be a little surprised if Dan told them which guy.  But its always possible with him.  Not that he doesn't have it in him.  he cleary does.  But Ron doesn't strike me the type to allow Dan to roll over him on a big decision as to which QB they chase.

I know Keim has said before if you go fishing for a player, Dan gets upset if you lose that bid.  So I can see him being upset at them losing out on Stafford and the edict maybe is don't lose the next time you bid for a player in a trade.

They are in a weird place.  You could see the cynicism on the QB thread and we are the die hards.  I don't think PR wise they can survive going hu hum at QB.  They are bleeding fans.  Fans are savvy enough to know that they will at best keep treading water until they get a franchise type QB.

Heck I can just imagine the PR fallout, granted it will be temporary because in that case I think they'd be drafting a QB, if they sign Trubisky.  IMO Trubsky PR wise would be perhaps the worst signing they can make considering whether deserved or not, he's a punchline.   10 years ago, no problem if you make a signing like that.  Today, it will be greeted with plenty of groans.  Fans see Dan as a clown show.  But the robin to that batman is they consider this team's record at QB as a clown show almost as infuriating as Dan.  So Ron has inherited whther he likes it or not all that fan's angst about the spot.

My point is it would surprise me if Dan picks their QB target.  But it would not surprise me at all if they give up a kings ransom urged on by Dan to get said target.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Jim Nagy on Standing podcast:

When asked what QB at the Senior Bowl best fits Rivera's criteria:

1. Can make all the throws

2. Will make a decision and get the ball out quickly

3. Has mobility to move or escape the pocket.

Nagy's answer?

Malik Willis

• Like 4

1 minute ago, actorguy1 said:

Nagy's answer?

Malik Willis

Except Willis doesn’t get the ball out quickly. He fits the other criteria and can develop the ball out quickly trait, though.

I’m excited to see what the senior bowl brings. 

4 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Nagy's answer?

Malik Willis

@KDawg beat me to it.  Willis has a quick relase so maybe he meant it the way?  I'll listen to it.  But, Willis tends to drift in the pocket and hold on to the ball. 

12 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m not sure Rivera will want to plug a rookie MLB in for the second straight year. I think we bring a vet in to do that role. It’s bitten him on the arse in a big way this year.

That was my initial thought ironically in part because of Keim and said so in multiple posts.   

Keim though is rarely wrong about stuff like this.  He almost never guesses.  It's typically something he's heard. It was Keim among others actually who initially talked up the veteran Mike LB.  The fact that he's throwing this now out makes me think they must really either like one in this draft or they aren't totally sure the right one hits FA. 

Right now aside from if Wagner is released, it looks like a lame MLB FA corp.

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Right now aside from if Wagner is released, it looks like a lame MLB FA corp

Agree, although I do like Jermaine Carter from the Panthers as an under the radar free agent MLB pick up.

I mean, I’m all for drafting one too. Major issue that needs plugging.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree, although I do like Jermaine Carter from the Panthers as an under the radar free agent MLB pick up.

Right now feels like at MLB they want a dude who is really good and simply contemplating everything.  My main takeaway from that comment is they must really love a MLB or two in this draft.  Sounds like though that's plan B.  Plan A is to use that first for a veteran QB. 

12 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would like Jermaine Carter simply because he is a Terp.    Maryland took four kids from his HS team in his class (FCA in Washington DC).   He was the lowest ranked of the four players but had good video.  There were two four stars (Yannick Ngakoue who has a solid NFL career and Derwin Gray who has been a practice squad player) and two three stars (Cavon Walker and Jermaine Carter).    All four have had at least a cup of coffee in teh NFL (cup of coffee meaning practice squad).  I believe Eddie Goldman was also in that same class at the HS.    Javon Kinlaw was an underclassman on that team as was Jalen Teez Tabor.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I think Wilson is rated too highly to drop.  Whatever you think of Mckshay, he's got contacts in the league.  He has Wilson 10th overall as a prospect.  Kiper has him 15th.  I don't think Wilson slips to the 2nd.  This draft doesn't seem to have a ton of A+ talent.  Was listening to Lombardi (who also clearly has inside contacts) and he said as much.  

Good WR prospects drop every draft, and Wilson is harder to see coming than guys who did drop like DK Metcalf and AJ Brown and CeeDee Lamb etc.  But him dropping presupposes that he runs slow, which hasn't happened yet, so it could be a moot discussion.  He looks fast on film and could easily run fast, I am just going off the 4.5 speculation I read about him.

Iff he does run slow, then his draft stock will have strong head winds.  He won't have size or production to hang his hat on, and he'll be in a WR class with seven other top 50 receivers (London, Olave, Burks, Williams, Metchie, Dotson, Bell), and at least three of them are supposed low 4.3 guys.  I think there is some buy low potential with Wilson, but much more probably in the 20s than the 30s or 40s.  But I also think that McShay is close to his true value at 10th overall and that getting Wilson in the 20s is a massive value pick.  Good enough value to get me to trade future picks to move up from our spot in the second if I were the gm.

Malik Wilis is a project QB at best, even at liberty at the hint of pressure he made bad decisions he should have had way more int's this seasons except in the league hes in the talent is a lot less corners were unable to catch balls etc. I watched him the last two years, I actually really hope we don't draft him. 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Thumb up 1

I would have thought MLB would be addressed in FA. Christian Harris won't be there at #42. I like Harris so much I'd trade up for him personally. Muma's likely worth it at #42 perhaps Damone Clark and maybe a few others but am not sure the value is there. I see a lot of 3rd and 4th round value but not 2nd personally - yet anyway. I really, really like Penn State LB Brandon Smith however. I'd probably prefer DB at #42 as it seems very good value would be there. 

• Like 1

I listened to the Nagy interview.

He's good but he's much better typically AFTER the Senior Bowl than before it.  He's willing to give out nuggets then as for who stood out.

His response to Standig when Standig read him what Rivera was looking for in a Qb.  He said Willis but then later said it would reflect Howell, too.

He talked up how Willis had a bad supporting cast, some of which reminded him of what Herbert went through in his last year. Mentoned Howell had a hard time on that front, too.

He said talking to teams last year at this time -- 4 of the top 5 prospects were already considered top 15.  Jones got into the top 15 thanks to the Senior Bowl and the draft process.  He said this year the rap he gets as for grades from scouts on these QBs are mid first to mid 2nd.

He graded Pickett as a 4th-5th rounder the previous season but he really climbed up.  He balked at the idea that he's the next Burrow but clearly he likes him as a person.  He touted him as an Alpha leader type.

He suggested that the mock draft types and scouts often don't see prospects the same way.  Suggesting its the mock draft media that's into demonizing this Qb crop and implied he's not getting that same level of negativity from scouts but also said this class isn't graded the same as last years.

He said that watching these guys interact, especially the QBs at Senior Bowl is big, which in his mind goes beyond just how they play.  He said some players just ease into the week -- implying without a sense of urgency.  Where some dudes are just at it hard from the jump, he talked about Mac Jones on that front saying he wanted to know everything from the jump and hit the ground running.  He said you can see who quickly becomes a leader that week.  Who works well with people, etc.

He talked about how he could tell Terry mclaurin was special based on how he conducted himself when he was there and he's one of his favorite Senior bowl players of all time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to the Nagy interview.

He's good but he's much better typically AFTER the Senior Bowl than before it.  He's willing to give out nuggets then as for who stood out.

His response to Standig when Standig read him what Rivera was looking for in a Qb.  He said Willis but then later said it would reflect Howell, too.

I haven't been on in a long time, SIP.  Thoughts on Willis.  Supposidly, Willis dad knows Rivera well.  I hope this doesn't play into favoritism on us selecting Willis.  Your thoughts on Willis and Howell if true by Standig.  Their talents and how they would fit in as our future starting QB, if selected.  I would also think we go hard for a proven vet QB but who knows.  I like Pickett small hands and all.  :)

45 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I haven't been on in a long time, SIP.  Thoughts on Willis.  Supposidly, Willis dad knows Rivera well.  I hope this doesn't play into favoritism on us selecting Willis.  Your thoughts on Willis and Howell if true by Standig.  Their talents and how they would fit in as our future starting QB, if selected.  I would also think we go hard for a proven vet QB but who knows.  I like Pickett small hands and all.  :)

Willis and Howell was purely Nagy talking about Senior Bowl prospects that fit Rivera's description of what he's looking for in a Qb based on Rivera's description of what he wants.

IMO Willis (cliff notes): rocket of an arm, almost Michael Vick level as a runner, really nice deep ball, throws well off platform.  Weakness:  holds on to the ball too long in the pocket, doesn't do much of the traditional NFL QB progressions, decision making isn't always hot, accuracy inconsistent. Highest ceiling by far among the Qbs.

IMO Howell (cliff notes): pretty deep ball, makes some wicked throws including deep outs. strong arm, accuracy on all three levels, has some mobility. Weakness:  pocket presence, questionable peripheral vision both in the pocket and on the move as a runner, does his mobility translate at all to the NFL -- doesn't look fast or elusive. 

As for specific QBs, Keim broached Ridder and Strong.  My take on them.

Ridder:  high intangibles, sneaky mobility, not everyone likes his arm but i do, when he's on he's on, can get hot.  Off platform throws.   Weakness:  doesnt hit receivers in stide, questionable decision making, hot-and cold QB, when he's off he's off.

Strong:  high intangibles, pro ready -- big into setting protections among other things, accuracy on all three levels, throws a beauty of a deep ball, strong arm.  Weakness:  injury history, not mobile, doesn't make off platform throws

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Willis and Howell was purely Nagy talking about Senior Bowl prospects that fit Rivera's description of what he's looking for in a Qb based on Rivera's description of what he wants.

IMO Willis (cliff notes): rocket of an arm, almost Michael Vick level as a runner, really nice deep ball, throws well off platform.  Weakness:  holds on to the ball too long in the pocket, doesn't do much of the traditional NFL QB progressions, decision making isn't always hot, accuracy inconsistent. Highest ceiling by far among the Qbs.

IMO Howell (cliff notes): pretty deep ball, makes some wicked throws including deep outs. strong arm, accuracy on all three levels, has some mobility. Weakness:  pocket presence, questionable peripheral vision both in the pocket and on the move as a runner, does his mobility translate at all to the NFL -- doesn't look fast or elusive. 

As for specific QBs, Keim broached Ridder and Strong.  My take on them.

Ridder:  high intangibles, sneaky mobility, not everyone likes his arm but i do, when he's on he's on, can get hot.  Off platform throws.   Weakness:  doesnt hit receivers in stide, questionable decision making, hot-and cold QB, when he's off he's off.

Strong:  high intangibles, pro ready -- big into setting protections among other things, accuracy on all three levels, throws a beauty of a deep ball, strong arm.  Weakness:  injury history, not mobile, doesn't make off platform throws

Thanks as always for your input.  Thoughts on Pickett?  He's my Mac Jones for 2022.  :)

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Pinky on the fourth lace and daylight between the palm and the ball.  That is the same grip as this guy and he's good:

636635406222495195-USATSI-10702782.jpg

So is this guy:

TQ5LRF4NG5FZVBADX4UUAQTKDY.JPG

This guy was good too:

gWAz4QXzATr5nXxQ=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

NFL ball is bigger. 

39 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Thanks as always for your input.  Thoughts on Pickett?  He's my Mac Jones for 2022.  :)

If hes a mac jones hard pass. Keep average QBs away from this franchise. Go sign Jimmy G if you want that but hard pass

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They are in a weird place.  You could see the cynicism on the QB thread and we are the die hards.  I don't think PR wise they can survive going hu hum at QB.  They are bleeding fans.  Fans are savvy enough to know that they will at best keep treading water until they get a franchise type QB.

Ron really backed himself into a corner that is going to dig himself out of by ignoring the position. I dont think I have ever seen such a pressing need here for a QB. Maybe anywhere else in the league. They just couldnt have picked a worse year to do it. I truly feel that Ron doesnt realize at how extremely difficult it would be to entice a great vet to be here as well as not understanding that Great ones rarely become available. 

So then he backed himself into a even bigger corner by needing to win with arguably the worst QB class in a decade. A class people had been calling bad for 2 plus year. Feels like hes going to have to roll Yahtzee's multiple times over to make it work out in the end. The odds in every direction is against them and it is largely because of their own misplay at the position. 

19 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

NFL ball is bigger. 

If hes a mac jones hard pass. Keep average QBs away from this franchise. Go sign Jimmy G if you want that but hard pass

Mac Jones will be a solid QB.   If I had to guess, I would guess he winds up in the Kirk Cousins/Derek Carr range.  You make him sound like a Teddy Bridgewater, Mitch Trubisky, Sam Darnold type.

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Mac Jones will be a solid QB.   If I had to guess, I would guess he winds up in the Kirk Cousins/Derek Carr range.  You make him sound like a Teddy Bridgewater, Mitch Trubisky, Sam Darnold type.

And Kirk and Derek havent won anything of note. I dont think those tiers are good enough. Even more so when they inevitably be paid too much 

Solid QBs just arent enough any more. Your only chance is having a great team during the rookie contract. And then past that youre stuck for the following 5 years in that 5-7 seed area where you dont get close to a championship because the contract prevents you from paying that great team you once had. 

Right now theres only about 7-8 non rookie contract QBs I would want. Everyone past that is a hamper on their team or wasting time until they are replaced with a hopeful elite QB. 

• Like 1