Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Jason Reid, ESPN draft guy, played QB in college.  On Keim's podcast he talked about the QBs

Pickett -- likes his accuracy, decisivenss, could end up going before the others

Keim highlighted that Rivera said he wants a quick twitch QB, Reid said that describes Corral the best.  Quick twitch quick decision maker, lightening quick release, strongest arm aside from Willis.

Malik Willis:  he's a big fan of his, wants to see his Senior Bowl performance.  Most raw but also most upside.  Goes for the big play too much.  Bad supporting cast.  Thinks 11 is too early for him but if he kills it in the Senior Bowl, he could rise that high.

Desmond Ridder:  goes through progressions well, underrated athlete, polished, struggles in the middle of the field, struggles with hitting receivers in stride, thinks he goes top 45

Carson Strong:  NFL polished.  Medicals key. Mobility question park.  he thinks he's one of the better Qbs navigating the pocket but struggles with accuracy/mobility outside the pocket

Sam Howell:  Senior Bowl key for him more than the others.  A lot of RPOs and in breaking routes in his offense like Corral has in his offense. Good deep thrower.  Short-intermediate heavy RPO driven.    All the adversity he faced this year might help him.

He was not a big fan of Davis Mills or Trask last year.

as far as Mitch Trubisky he didn't come off that high on him.  He doesn't buy his failures are all about Nagy. He doesn't see him as much different from Heinicke so he wouldn't fish in that well

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m close to the edge here with the decision makers. If they even hint at a trubisky trade I’m jumping. He’s barely on par with what we currently have.

that said, I find it very unlikely that we go into next season with a better qb situation than this season. Watson can’t come here because of PR, Wilson won’t come here because he doesn’t want to; the stud vets aren’t happening. The draft, who knows, I’m no guru, but it seems safe to say that this is one of poorest QB classes we’ve seen in a long time…

18 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I’m close to the edge here with the decision makers. If they even hint at a trubisky trade I’m jumping. He’s barely on par with what we currently have.

that said, I find it very unlikely that we go into next season with a better qb situation than this season. Watson can’t come here because of PR, Wilson won’t come here because he doesn’t want to; the stud vets aren’t happening. The draft, who knows, I’m no guru, but it seems safe to say that this is one of poorest QB classes we’ve seen in a long time…

Why would we trade for Trubisky? He isn’t on a roster.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So essentially what most of us have been thinking for awhile. Though the idea of MLB in the first, even if we get a QB without using Our first… hurts my soul.

As I've said before, Keim by a mile is the most accurate as for gauging the off season typically.  His sources with the team clearly are good.  He's not always on the money but he hits more right than the other beat guys.  Standig IMO is the runner up.   The impression I got listening to the podcast is...

Him saying he thinks they will have their QB before the draft is a pretty strong statement coming from him. Keim doesn't guess much.  Most of what he says is based on sources.  Cooley joked once that Keim is hardly ever wrong because he gets 7 sources for every story or something like that.  :ols:  But in short, he's super paranoid about avoiding getting things wrong.  Granted this isn't a story but a podcast.  Still though following Keim over the years I found that statement to come off unusually strong. 

So if he feels they will have their QB before the draft.  That comes off like they are going to swing mega hard for a trade.  And Keim actually thinks they will land one.  That was interesting for me considering Keim can come off really cynical at times and there is plenty to be cynical about as to their chances to succeed here.

Looks like the fallback plan if they strike out is Trubisky and they perhaps don't have a QB that is head and shoulders in their mind over another so they might wait to 11 or hope one falls to the 2nd.

Keim has been harping on and off for weeks about Mike MLB.  So here he suggests it could happen early in the draft.  If so sounds like Rivera and staff are in love with one of them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's latest podcast.

A. He thinks they end up with their Qb before the draft.  Veteran is likely the top route.

B.  As far as the QBs in this draft, he suggested they've cut some of them already from their wish list

B.  If they swing and miss at a veteran, likely a veteran FA (Trubisky?) and they draft a QB.

C. If this miss on a veteran in a trade, it coud be a veteran and a 2nd/3rd round type of Qb.  Later in the podcast suggested in a vague way that they might be intrigued by Ridder and Strong if they are fishing for a QB post first round.  I couldn't tell if that's him guessing as for Ridder and Strong or something he heard. 

My guess is their A plan is Carr/Mayfield type and a Ridder/Strong and of course I am adding Zappe to a 2nd round selection 

Plan B is Trubisky and then go Corral/Howell/Willis in the 1st round 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

My guess is their A plan is Carr/Mayfield type and a Ridder/Strong and of course I am adding Zappe to a 2nd round selection 

Plan B is Trubisky and then go Corral/Howell/Willis in the 1st round 

Could be.  I almost posted something similar.  Sheehan mentioned this morning maybe Jimmy G AND they draft a QB in the first.  I see this less with Carr but more if they signed a veteran who could be the answer but there is some uncertainty

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.  I almost posted something similar.  Sheehan mentioned this morning maybe Jimmy G AND they draft a QB in the first.  I see this less with Carr but more if they signed a veteran who could be the answer but there is some uncertainty

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are planning on using the first and second for QBs this year. 

One is a rookie and one is a vet. 

As we’ve been saying, the vet move sets up the rookie move.

I mean, I absolutely believe that if they decide they’re out on early 1st round rookies and set their mind to it they will have their guy at QB before the draft. The only problem with that is that I believe it’ll be bc there’s different tiers they can trade for no matter how far they decide to settle:

1. Rodgers

2. Wilson

———————

3. Carr

———————

———————

4. Jimmy G 

I’m not afraid that they’re incapable of getting a vet QB via trade if they don’t love a rookie enough to trade up. I’m afraid they decide it’s safest to settle for Jimmy G and then see what falls to the 2nd/3rd. That’s terrifying and will be the practical end of the Rivera era, even if it takes a couple years to play out. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are planning on using the first and second for QBs this year. 

One is a rookie and one is a vet. 

As we’ve been saying, the vet move sets up the rookie move.

Yeah could be.  Between what Keim said today and Mike Silver (who is close with Rivera).  I gives me the vibe that they are almost a bit like they are aware that the Rams wanted it more and got Stafford, the Bears wanted it more and got Fields -- this time they want it more and are ready to outbid whomever.  Question is for whom?

On another note, Nagy just dd a podcast with Standig, I'll listen to it tomorrow.  But I am more interested in what Nagy has to say AFTER the Senior bowl than now.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah could be.  Between what Keim said today and Mike Silver (who is close with Rivera).  I gives me the vibe that they are almost a bit like they are aware that the Rams wanted it more and got Stafford, the Bears wanted it more and got Fields -- this time they want it more and are ready to outbid whomever.  Question is for whom?

On another note, Nagy just dd a podcast with Standig, I'll listen to it tomorrow.  But I am more interested in what Nagy has to say AFTER the Senior bowl than now.

Right. Them being willing to play ball this offseason isn’t news to me.

The question is and will continue to be:

1) Who is even available?

2) Will those teams do business with us? This is often scoffed at but some owners/teams would be much more difficult to do business with than others.

3) Will other teams in the market outbid us?

4) Will the QB we trade for even want to play here?

In other words, I think it’s safe to say they’ll swing for the fences. But there’s a good chance of a strikeout.

At least it’ll be a forward facing K and not a backwards one.

• Like 1

I don't really know whether Cowherd is connected but last week he kept mentioning he knows someone inside the Browns and the brass there are fed up with Baker.  Don't know what that means, do they ride him another year, could a team put up with him being so brash, is he worth a #1?  Who knows but it's interesting the RR isn't attending the Seniorbowl.  Again, maybe nothing or maybe something like they aren't favoring any QB in the draft.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have a hard time seeing trading for an often injured Jimmy G although he is the correct age. Feel like a Mayfield would be more in their wheelhouse. I am really not a big fan of either guy and would rather a FA like Trubisky or maybe Mariota over giving up something for one of these two

Edited by DWinzit

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Right. Them being willing to play ball this offseason isn’t news to me.

The question is and will continue to be:

1) Who is even available?

2) Will those teams do business with us? This is often scoffed at but some owners/teams would be much more difficult to do business with than others.

3) Will other teams in the market outbid us?

4) Will the QB we trade for even want to play here?

In other words, I think it’s safe to say they’ll swing for the fences. But there’s a good chance of a strikeout.

At least it’ll be a forward facing K and not a backwards one.

Yeah I've talking up the pessimism side of the argument as for landing a big fish.  It sounds like though they aren't pessmistic which I find a little interesting.  The fact that Keim though isn't pessimisitc either is very striking to me.  Keim leans on the cynical side.  And often doesn't reveal everything he knows.  It feels like they got some feelers out already on a veteran.

Silver also gave the vibe about swinging for the fences.  If Rivera thought whatever they plan is a long shot, I'd think they'd play it down some.  

So my takeaway is I think they think they got a target and they believe said target will be landed.

3 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Does anyone  think they view Carr on same level as Stafford.

don't know.  But rumors were they were interested last year if he were available.  And just about every beat guy believes they'd be interested this year if he's made available. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

don't know.  But rumors were they were interested last year if he were available.  Amd just abut every beat guy believes they'd be interested this year if hes made available. 

I am afraid they will pay more this year for Carr then they would for Stafford last year.

Edited by Redskins 2021

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I've talking up the pessimism side of the argument as for landing a big fish.  It sounds like though they aren't pessmistic which I find a little interesting.  The fact that Keim though isn't pessimisitc either is very striking to me.  Keim leans on the cynical side.  And often doesn't reveal everything he knows.  It feels like they got some feelers out already on a veteran.

Silver also gave the vibe about swinging for the fences.  If Rivera thought whatever they plan is a long shot, I'd think they'd play it down some.  

So my takeaway is I think they think they got a target and they believe said target will be landed.

This actually makes me a little nervous. I believe "[x] is unaccepable" is a big time Dan Snyder thing that he uses a lot. IIRC there were reports that after his rookie season RG3 went to Shanny and said continuing to be a running QB was "unacceptable" and that's one way Shanny knew that Snyder was basically in RG3's ear. 

If it's just Snyder saying he really wants a good QB but he'll let Rivera figure out who best fits and how to get him, I'm fine with it. But if it's Snyder actually telling them who they should get then that's nothing but bad news.

I don't want Carr. Yes, he is miles better than everything we have had recently. But why would we assume that we get more out of Carr than the Raiders. Their franchise has been just as bad as ours and in 8 years in the league, they got 0 playoff wins with him. To me, Carr is like Kirk Cousins. An above average QB in the 10-15 range who will have you compete for a playoff spot every year (at least in our dvision), only to then exit in the wildcard round. He isn't good enough to win a Superbowl in my eyes. But we would have to pay probably at least two first round picks and hand out a new contract in the 35m/y area. That just doesn't sound appealing to me...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1