Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

36 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Sorry but I disagree, we have wasted so many first round picks in the last 10

years for qbs that unless the team feels that a qb available at 11 is the guy you don’t waste that pick.

unless we are going to be able to draft the first qb in the draft and get the one we want we must trade it for a top 10 qb.

We've drafted 2 QBs in the last ten years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

I don’t have any confidence that they will pick the right guy.

I do think that they could pull off a trade for a top QB if they offer enough (two first and two starters)

and it does not work for many teams

So what is your solution for the draft and QBs then? Just ignore it? Wait until we have the #1 overall pick at some point in the future?

And it doesn't matter how much we're willing to offer...the other side has to be willing to deal. And the only top QB we might have a shot at (Wilson) has a no-trade clause and as of now we're reportedly not on his short list of teams.

You're complaining about things but not offering realistic solutions.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Trade with who? Who exactly is it you think we're going to trade for?

Also, this whole "well, it hasn't worked out for us in the past so we should stop trying" schtick is pure nonsense. It hasn't worked out for plenty of teams...until it did. Why? Because they kept trying.

If you swing and miss on a QB in the 1st you try again. And then try again. It doesn't matter how many other pieces you have in place. They're borderline irrelevant because until you get your franchise QB you're never going to be a perennial contender. Again, literally every single team in the NFL knows this nowadays.

Trade for one, man. It's easy. Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Matt Stafford and Dak Prescott are all easy to get and available.

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

am not surprised.   He's likely not a first round pick and he has some mobility.  Perfect combination?  He screams you.  😀

He's not my top guy and I don't want him at 11, but in a draft with no clear front runner I don't see the separation between the top 5or 6 guys. It's kinda like the Jones Haskins Lock debate years ago. One wound up being top 10, another a second rounder. But I thought they were all the same and was kinda in favor of whoever dropped. 

This year, I could see us going QB at 11 but I think it'd be a top 2 or 3 guy (Pickett Corral or Willis). Otherwise I think we go MLB or S and draft a QB in the second. 

Either way, I think we bring in a veteran before all this to have addressed the position in some way. I think it'll be a Keenum type player that allows us to pick bpa in the draft. But if it's a Smith/Brunell/McNabb type move then I think we're going Strong or Riddler. 

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

To be accurate in reflecting what Tomwvr was expressing , Washington used its 1st round picks of 2012, 2013 & 2014 for procuring one of those QBs.  So essentially four out of the last ten Washington 1st-rounders were used for obtaining QBs.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

So what is your solution for the draft and QBs then? Just ignore it? Wait until we have the #1 overall pick at some point in the future?

And it doesn't matter how much we're willing to offer...the other side has to be willing to deal. And the only top QB we might have a shot at (Wilson) has a no-trade clause and as of now we're reportedly not on his short list of teams.

You're complaining about things but not offering realistic solutions.

No my thoughts are 

attempt to trade for a vet high level

qb 

if that’s fails then take actions to ensure you are able to draft the qb you want this 

if both of those fail then  get a veteran qb to compete for the starting job.

just don’t sit at 11 and hope you get a “first” round quarterback. Because the odds are not good that the 11 pick will get us a top tier qb.

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

And used 3 1st for one of them and 1 first for the other.

so in the last 10 years we have used 4 picks on qbs

Player Summary

Well, that was quite the ride. Lloyd has his inconsistencies, but due to the fluctuating grades, he has a ton of potential in this league. We keep saying if he plays to his strengths he’ll be able to make it work, and that is the case with Lloyd. It will be really fun to see how NFL teams use Lloyd in their scheme. They should limit him to the classic MLB spot first because it’s where he’s shown his greatest ability to play in coverage and seek out the run. Overall, Lloyd is perfectly rated by the media. He’s not someone that should go in the top 15 or so, although we wouldn’t complain if he went 10-15. Lloyd is a first-rounder and a player who can develop into a top linebacker in the league.

Rookie Projection: Starting MIKE Linebacker

Third-Year Projection: Approaching Breakout Potential

Final Grade (85.5/100): Late First Round

Player Comp: Darius Leonard

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2021/12/20/2022-nfl-draft-scouting-report-devin-lloyd/

Maybe we could swap 1rsts with the Raiders in addition to the other 1rsts they'd want for Carr.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

No my thoughts are 

attempt to trade for a vet high level

qb 

if that’s fails then take actions to ensure you are able to draft the qb you want this 

if both of those fail then  get a veteran qb to compete for the starting job.

just don’t sit at 11 and hope you get a “first” round quarterback. Because the odds are not good that the 11 pick will get us a top tier qb.

And used 3 1st for one of them and 1 first for the other.

so in the last 10 years we have used 4 picks on qbs

27 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

To be accurate in reflecting what Tomwvr was expressing , Washington used its 1st round picks of 2012, 2013 & 2014 for procuring one of those QBs.  So essentially four out of the last ten Washington 1st-rounders were used for obtaining QBs.

I know what the RG3 trade cost. But it was still only one quarterback, not 3. 

Also keep in mind that we had an extra first in 2019.

From 2012 to 2021 we’ve selected 9 players in the first round. 

2 have been QBs. 

And one shouldn’t have been picked at all. And the other had his career ended essentially due to injury and mismanagement of said injury from multiple parties and the attitudes that followed. 

• Like 2

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10021403-chad-muma-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-wyoming-lb

As expected of a former safety, Muma is most impressive in coverage. His feel for zone coverage is outstanding, particularly with respect to what windows are behind him. He also does a great job staying on top of routes out of the backfield in man coverage. Muma occasionally shows stiff hips when flying downhill to rally and tackle, as well as when forced to match up man-to-man in space, but his zone skills should be more than enough to keep him on the field.

Muma could play all three linebacker spots with the right coaching, though "Mike" may offer the most natural transition. Muma's run-game skills and elite tackling give him a relatively high floor, while his coverage tools and athleticism open the door for real-deal potential.

Muma should be able to play in the NFL right away and has the makings of a Pro Bowl player by the end of his rookie contract.

GRADE: 7.7 (Potential Impact Player - 2nd Round)

OVERALL RANK: 47

POSITION RANK: LB4

PRO COMPARISON: Sean Lee    

Man crush engage! Puts on an absolute clinic tackling. Smart and disciplined against the run. You don't get over 140 tackles without always being around the ball. It's why I was so high on Bolton last year. I think this is my top want in this draft. Should definitely be there with our 2nd. He follows Logan Wilson who was instrumental in the Bengals win yesterday. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10021403-chad-muma-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-wyoming-lb

As expected of a former safety, Muma is most impressive in coverage. His feel for zone coverage is outstanding, particularly with respect to what windows are behind him. He also does a great job staying on top of routes out of the backfield in man coverage. Muma occasionally shows stiff hips when flying downhill to rally and tackle, as well as when forced to match up man-to-man in space, but his zone skills should be more than enough to keep him on the field.

Muma could play all three linebacker spots with the right coaching, though "Mike" may offer the most natural transition. Muma's run-game skills and elite tackling give him a relatively high floor, while his coverage tools and athleticism open the door for real-deal potential.

Muma should be able to play in the NFL right away and has the makings of a Pro Bowl player by the end of his rookie contract.

GRADE: 7.7 (Potential Impact Player - 2nd Round)

OVERALL RANK: 47

POSITION RANK: LB4

PRO COMPARISON: Sean Lee    

Man crush engage! Puts on an absolute clinic tackling. Smart and disciplined against the run. You don't get over 140 tackles without always being around the ball. It's why I was so high on Bolton last year. I think this is my top want in this draft. Should definitely be there with our 2nd. He follows Logan Wilson who was instrumental in the Bengals win yesterday. 

I can definitely get on board with drafting him. That’s some great tape…. albeit against lesser competition.

3EDF6DCE-F29F-4381-B84B-EAF7D988DA6C.gif

4 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Muma, didn't know him (who watches Wyoming for fun?) but sounds like player we need. Good in coverage. Any idea if he can take on blockers? Shed blockers. 

Watch the tape. He was excellent in filling gaps, shedding blocks, tackling and dropping carriers. Very disciplined player too.

5 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Muma, didn't know him (who watches Wyoming for fun?) but sounds like player we need. Good in coverage. Any idea if he can take on blockers? Shed blockers. 

Funny, his coverage is considered a knock on him and he still had two pick sixes. Watch that video and you'll see. He's big, 242 and has excellent hand usage.

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

I can definitely get on board with drafting him. That’s some great tape…. albeit against lesser competition.

3EDF6DCE-F29F-4381-B84B-EAF7D988DA6C.gif

True, but he did dominate and that's all you can ask for.

• Like 1

I really like Brisker if we end up trying to replace the role Collins played at the end of the year. He would really excel there and he has much better coverage skills. I'm higher on FS, which he definitely isn't and that would be a waste, because he is a violent hitter who plays great in the box and close to it.

• Like 1

College football's 10 breakout prospects to watch for the 2022 NFL Draft

S NICK CROSS, MARYLAND

You won’t see a ton of defenders in college football with Cross' size-speed combination. He is a stout 6-foot-1, 210 pounds and can range with the best of them on the back end.

Coming out of high school, Cross ran a 4.48 at 208 pounds and was a part of Maryland’s track team as a freshman, running the 60m and 200m. While he’s been starting ever since his true freshman year in 2019, Cross only played in four games last season. This year, he’s been everywhere for Maryland’s defense, notching a pick, pass-breakup and two stops in two games.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think this guy has a chance for us to draft on day 3. True FS and local.

I always wonder where people get all their "film" from. 

Generally full games on YouTube. Otherwise it’s watching live games and highlights. There’s actually a lot of full games on YouTube. Surprisingly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Generally full games on YouTube. Otherwise it’s watching live games and highlights. There’s actually a lot of full games on YouTube. Surprisingly.

That's what I've been trying to look at. It's fun.

Back to the Muma comparison. I feel like Sean Lees health had a major influence in the outcome of our games against the cowboys. He was so awesome to watch, even if it was the cowboys.If we could get a stud like that for the middle of our defense, I'd be ecstatic. 

• Like 2

PFF guy on a Galdi podcast, he went on for quite some time.  Entertaining.

A.  Heinicke.  He said he's entertaining to watch, but a lot of ups and downs.  He agrees they need a QB.   He said a key reason but not the only reason for Heinicke being a high variance QB can be seen by charting his throws like he does, he says he throws a lot of turnover worthy plays so in some games he has some luck when those throws aren't picked off and in others his luck runs out.

B.  He likes Scott Turner and his scheme.  He says when he charts their games, he sees a lot of guys running wide open.  They need the QB to exploit that.

C.  Likes Carson Strong, likes his arm strength.  Mobility-injuries are the red flags

D.  Malik Willis you need patience with

E.  He thinks Pickett and Corral are pro ready.  He thinks Pickett's hand size is a real red flag that he suspects will bother some teams

F.  He think their O line is legit good.  4 centers on the same team graded 60 and above he said is a miracle.  Praised Matsko. 

G.  He said they'd miss Scherff but he doesn't think they'd miss too much of a beat with Schweitzer.  He wouldn't pay guards big money.

H.  He thinks this offense has enough weapons to win if they land a QB.  He doesn't think they are loaded on offense but they are close enough if guys get healthy

I.  The defenses early struggles was about the secondary.  Playing a zone scheme with new guys who struggled trusting their teammates when they were running zone match schemes.  The previous season the secondary was much better in synch

J.  William Jackson struggled but came on strong at the end, so he's optimistic that he will be good next season

H. Jamin Davis he sees as an outside LB, maybe even hybrid, use his range to cover ground, close things down in space.    He's not a read and react Mike LB, its hard to play that spot, you got to process things fast. 

I. Kendall Fuller is better at this stage of his career as an outside CB, not that hot in the slot anymore.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I can’t see Ron taking a risk by plugging another rookie into MLB. I can see him taking LB during the first 4 rounds with versatility to play inside and out, but I think he will bring a free agent in with the initial intentions of being the starter.

Going back a few years here… but I was the only one on the planet Earth that liked Simmons more than Young (but even then I wouldn’t have taken Simmons over Young. So no hindsight. I still agree with us taking Young as being the right move.)

But we need that kind of player. I’ve watched bits of Brisker and he seems like he’d be solid in that role. But I have to watch more. Muma I like quite a bit as well. I think our offense needs much more attention than the D. But I think we can get D pieces in the draft later that help us quite a bit. 

• Like 1

I was pretty close to you on the Simmons thing too. Steve as well, but you were definitely in your own club as for being convinced.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens with Collins and McCain. After the struggles we had early in the year, I don't think they want to mess with it too much, but Collins is way over priced and McCain isn't good. The way they use the 3 safeties, I think they'll do something. Slot corner is also an issue. Fuller ended the year as the 5th ranked outside, so he's locked in there.

I agree with UK that we'll probably address MLB with a FA, but they do love Bostic and Ron has drafted 2 great ones that played a big role in his past success and after last years draft, it's clearly high on Rons list and it's do over offseason.