Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Guardian: Joe Biden's gender discrimination order offers hope for young trans athletes - Discussion Thread

TD_washingtonredskins

28 minutes ago, mojo said:

But where are are they going to find a them/they TSA agent for the them/theys? Or will it be female TSA agent being forced to pat down a “Woman” that still has male parts?  I guess the TSA agents rights aren’t of interest.

I don't think the idea of males patting down males and females females has anything to do with the rights of the TSA agents.

If the situation warrants, cops of the other gender will pat down people of the other gender.  

It has to do with making sure the person being patted down is comfortable coupled with the fact it is easy to have TSA agents of both genders on site.  

Not having to touch people of the opposite (or any) gender isn't a right and being able to be a TSA agent isn't a right (i.e. if you don't want to pat down somebody of the opposite gender and that disqualifies you from being a TSA agent your rights haven't been violated).

And it isn't like anybody on either side (TSA or trans people) seem to be complaining too much.

20 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

And it isn't like anybody on either side (TSA or trans people) seem to be complaining too much.

I totally agree.  So why is our President, when we have talk of WW3 and epic inflation, even talking about it?

21 minutes ago, mojo said:

I totally agree.  So why is our President, when we have talk of WW3 and epic inflation, even talking about it?

Because he can do several things at a time (and he's doing things about the other two situations as much as he can).

It is an odd thing to see somebody bother to post about something that nobody is complaining about and that doesn't affect them.

Why are you talking about it (and not a potential WW3 and epic inflation)?

Edited by PeterMP

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

To trigger people like you, hopefully. 

Yes, I’m triggered. You’re right.

The fact that gender designation on passports and TSA touching rules that affect 1% of the population is worth a press conference while the world is burning makes perfect sense.

11 minutes ago, mojo said:

Yes, I’m triggered. You’re right.

The fact that gender designation on passports and TSA touching rules that affect 1% of the population is worth a press conference while the world is burning makes perfect sense.

Worthy of one tiny portion of a press conference to point out an inclusive change to a policy vs. wall to wall coverage during prime time cable new programming? Which do you find more troubling or at the least, excessive?  Which of the two seems like it is trying to paint a narrative? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo said:

It's International Transgender Day of Visibility.  Based on the what the changes are, I assume this is something that's been in coordination for a while.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/releases/2022/03/31/tsa-announces-measures-implement-gender-neutral-screening-its

Implementing enhanced screening technology: TSA identified an opportunity to improve the Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) units in airport checkpoints and is working with the manufacturer on an algorithm update that increases accuracy and efficiency. By replacing the current, gender-based AIT system, this new, more accurate technology will also advance civil rights and improve the customer experience of travelers who previously have been required to undergo additional screening due to alarms in sensitive areas. TSA received $18.6 million in funding within the FY22 Omnibus Appropriations to complete the development, testing, and deployment of algorithm updates to AIT units nationwide. Upon completion of successful testing, TSA will begin deploying the update to airports later this year.

That seems to be the policy change with the most practical effect.

With respect to percentage of LGBTQ individuals, setting aside potential of under-identification, there are 1.3% of Native Americans and Alaskan natives, 5.9% of Asians, 0.2% of Native Hawaiian and pacific islanders, 2.8% of mixed raced individuals in the US.  Which of these groups am I allowed to care about?  At what percentage am I allowed to disregard the group's civil rights?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo said:

You're right, he should be asking the authoritarian leader of a country currently invading a neighbor to help him create dirt on his political opponent, who as you say should be focused on stopping WW3 with said leader.

Edited by Epochalypse

I don't care about him having a press conference for this who cares its TSA/Passport stuff no big deal imo.  I do however feel terrible for the elite athletes in the NCAA being affected by a guy coming out and changing his gender to a female and being allowed to compete vs other biological females in a short amount of time, the muscle tone is there the size advantage is there and also they don't have a few days of the month every month to have to deal with women reproductive cycles etc, the physical advantages are clear. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I don't care about him having a press conference for this who cares its TSA/Passport stuff no big deal imo.  I do however feel terrible for the elite athletes in the NCAA being affected by a guy coming out and changing his gender to a female and being allowed to compete vs other biological females in a short amount of time, the muscle tone is there the size advantage is there and also they don't have a few days of the month every month to have to deal with women reproductive cycles etc, the physical advantages are clear. 

I care much more about the latter point too. 

But, @mojo makes a good point. The claim earlier in the thread that only the far right or Fox News is responsible for pushing this narrative about a miniscule portion of our population is bogus. That seems to be the larger point...not that the government can't do more than one thing at a time or should never spend any time on inclusion, but that these things are pushed to the top of the news cycle just as often by liberals, not conservatives. Disney came out with their "50% of our characters will be LGBTQ or minorities" claim on their own. The hosts at the Oscars did their "we are going to have a gay night" middle finger to Florida on their own too. Don't fool yourself...

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I care much more about the latter point too. 

But, @mojo makes a good point. The claim earlier in the thread that only the far right or Fox News is responsible for pushing this narrative about a miniscule portion of our population is bogus. That seems to be the larger point...not that the government can't do more than one thing at a time or should never spend any time on inclusion, but that these things are pushed to the top of the news cycle just as often by liberals, not conservatives. Disney came out with their "50% of our characters will be LGBTQ or minorities" claim on their own. The hosts at the Oscars did their "we are going to have a gay night" middle finger to Florida on their own too. Don't fool yourself...

Both the Dinsey and Oscar's thing though was in direct response to an anti-gay (amongst other things) conservative law being passed in Florida. Absent of that law, would either of the responses happened?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Both the Dinsey and Oscar's thing though was in direct response to an anti-gay (amongst other things) conservative law being passed in Florida. Absent of that law, would either of the responses happened?

I couldn't answer that...but if you don't think Hollywood goes over the top on things like that without conservative nudging, I'd be surprised. 

28 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I couldn't answer that...but if you don't think Hollywood goes over the top on things like that without conservative nudging, I'd be surprised. 

I don't disagree that "culture war" stuff in general can take up way too much of the public sphere from every angle, but I think it is also important to see how the stuff gets escalated in the first place and where the specific pushback from each side is coming from & motivated by.  I think the main reason that things like "CRT in schools" and the "Don't Say Gay" FL bill stuff gets so much media attention is because there are completely dishonest approaches from the right in their coverage/commentary.   

Say in comparison, an issue like affirmative action, I think with that specific issue, while ultimately I still support what the left has to say about it more than the right, at least I hear some of the right-wing perspective on it not sounding completely looney or just made up to scare-monger.  With the former two issues, it seems like the response on the left is 50% just explaining that the problems are non-existent or exaggerated on purpose in the first place and then they can actually get to the merits/bad aspect of the legislation itself.  

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I’ll get around to the “transgender agenda” right after I process the “crusty old lesbians and MagaKlan apologists who spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about chicks getting assaulted in bathrooms and locker rooms agenda”.

Will that be after the Tool concert?

Not sure if FL teachers are now just trolling DeSantis or are actually looking for ways to show the flaws in the bill but they are talking about eliminating all gender descriptions as a response sort of to prove that it was never about "gender roles & instructions" just the specific ones a portion of the parents don't want mentioned or acknowledged.  So no more "Mr" or "Mrs" or anything that eludes to boys and girls period. A teacher sent out an instruction memo about this which most people are not sure if it was just a joke or not.   

Will be interesting to see where this goes, because on the one hand it is a smart way to force the ball back into the hands of DeSantis/FL legislature to alter the language of the bill and basically admit the discrimination. 

34 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Not sure if FL teachers are now just trolling DeSantis or are actually looking for ways to show the flaws in the bill but they are talking about eliminating all gender descriptions as a response sort of to prove that it was never about "gender roles & instructions" just the specific ones a portion of the parents don't want mentioned or acknowledged.  So no more "Mr" or "Mrs" or anything that eludes to boys and girls period. A teacher sent out an instruction memo about this which most people are not sure if it was just a joke or not.   

Will be interesting to see where this goes, because on the one hand it is a smart way to force the ball back into the hands of DeSantis/FL legislature to alter the language of the bill and basically admit the discrimination. 

I love me some Malicious Compliance.