Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Guardian: Joe Biden's gender discrimination order offers hope for young trans athletes - Discussion Thread

TD_washingtonredskins

26 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

According to the Williams Institute, 1.4 million adults identify as transgender in the United States. About 0.7% of adults 18-24 identify as transgender, and 0.5% of adults 65 and older identify as transgender.

The ten states with the highest percentage of transgender people are:

1. Hawaii (0.60%)
  2. New Mexico (0.56%)
  3. California (0.55%)
  4. Georgia (0.51%)
  5. Vermont (0.48%)
  6. Mississippi (0.46%)
  7. Oklahoma (0.46%)
  8. Oregon (0.46%)
  9. Delaware (0.46%)
  10. Alabama (0.45%)

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/transgender-population-by-state

All of this arguing for a pinky nail full of people. 334.6 billion people in America.

Important issue to a small number of people is still an important issue (even disregarding the question of what impact societal attitude has on accuracy of self identification).  There's less than million abortions per year but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from setting their collective heads on fire.

19 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Important issue to a small number of people is still an important issue (even disregarding the question of what impact societal attitude has on accuracy of self identification).  There's less than million abortions per year but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from setting their collective heads on fire.

Not for a 15 page discussion, but hey, I’m the dodo for posting stats and adding my two cents 

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, ClaytoAli said:

According to the Williams Institute, 1.4 million adults identify as transgender in the United States.

All of this arguing for a pinky nail full of people. 334.6 million people in America.

Not sure why you're only counting transgender adults compared the entire population and not just adults. There are "only" 258.3 million adults. 

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/08/united-states-adult-population-grew-faster-than-nations-total-population-from-2010-to-2020.html#:~:text=In 2020%2C the U.S. Census,from 234.6 million in 2010.

Wyoming (~582k) and Alaska (~721k) combine for fewer than 1.4 million people (and that's all people, not just adults), but they get a combined 4 senators and 2 representatives. In fact, there are 10 states (NH, ME, MT, RI, DE, SD, ND, AK, VT, WY) that each have fewer than 1.4 million people (again, people, not just adults).

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states

I realize none of those stats technically have anything to do with the transgender issue directly, but it might help put the "Why should I care about X group when it's so small?" issue into some perspective. Maybe it can help identify where the line is before we should give a **** about whether some group deserves rights: a full percent? 5%? 10%? 25%? Do they have to hit a majority and vote for their own rights?

Again, I have no answers for some of these issues, especially the sports related ones, but should a state like Utah be passing entire laws based on a singular athlete, or is that bar too low? Should a group (ethnic, racial, sexual identity/orientation, etc) just know to keep their mouths shut until there's enough of them to care about, and if so what's the percentage where we're supposed to finally decide to listen to their grievances?

12 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

Not sure why you're only counting transgender adults compared the entire population and not just adults. There are "only" 258.3 million adults. 

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/08/united-states-adult-population-grew-faster-than-nations-total-population-from-2010-to-2020.html#:~:text=In 2020%2C the U.S. Census,from 234.6 million in 2010.

Wyoming (~582k) and Alaska (~721k) combine for fewer than 1.4 million people (and that's all people, not just adults), but they get a combined 4 senators and 2 representatives. In fact, there are 10 states (NH, ME, MT, RI, DE, SD, ND, AK, VT, WY) that each have fewer than 1.4 million people (again, people, not just adults).

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states

I realize none of those stats technically have anything to do with the transgender issue directly, but it might help put the "Why should I care about X group when it's so small?" issue into some perspective. Maybe it can help identify where the line is before we should give a **** about whether some group deserves rights: a full percent? 5%? 10%? 25%? Do they have to hit a majority and vote for their own rights?

Again, I have no answers for some of these issues, especially the sports related ones, but should a state like Utah be passing entire laws based on a singular athlete, or is that bar too low? Should a group (ethnic, racial, sexual identity/orientation, etc) just know to keep their mouths shut until there's enough of them to care about, and if so what's the percentage where we're supposed to finally decide to listen to their grievances?

You like to type?

• Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

Biden officials prepare to blow up Trump’s rules on sexual misconduct in schools

A Biden administration plan to overhaul how schools respond to sexual misconduct complaints and extend federal protections to some of the most vulnerable students is coming as soon as this month — and partisan combat is certain to follow in its wake.

Along with casting off many Trump-era guidelines Biden officials say are too arduous for assault victims, Education Secretary Miguel Cardona is expected to codify safeguards for transgender students for the first time, handling both issues in the same rule.

By revising Title IX, the federal education law that prohibits sex-based discrimination, Cardona will be undoing a key legacy of former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. He’ll also be leaving his own mark on what is perhaps the agency’s most closely watched initiative and its biggest legal target.

Cardona’s groundbreaking move to codify protections for sexual orientation and gender identity in Title IX could set up a fight that’s just as divisive as DeVos’ rule, which drew more than 124,000 written comments during the regulatory process and attracted five lawsuits. Her rule, which took effect in August 2020, narrowed the definition of sexual harassment and directed schools to conduct live hearings with cross-examination for sexual misconduct investigations.

Among Democrats, Cardona’s proposed rule would be a shield for already marginalized kids looking for inclusion, but for Republicans, it’s a spear of advancing “wokeism” that’s trying to cater to a small minority of kids.

“The Supreme Court has upheld the right for LGBTQ+ people to live and work without fear of harassment, exclusion and discrimination — and our LGBTQ+ students have the same rights and deserve the same protections,” Cardona said in a statement when his department first announced its interpretation of the rule.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:16 PM, tshile said:

That last part tells me we shouldn’t be letting 6 year olds make this decision. 

Clearly...I don't know why any parent in their right mind would have been supporting any steps of a transition at that age anyway. If a boy is saying he feels like a girl when he's 5 or 6 years old (or vice versa) how can we even trust language enough at that age to take such drastic steps? 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Bet the TERFs are super proud of themselves for helping push a narrative that will cause some young girls to get unnecessary genital exams just to play sports. Allying with a bunch of weirdos obsessed with the genitals of children in starting to pay dividends!

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

With how expensive college is male student athletes will have to decide if they want to become trans for the scholarships. Until that actually happens though I think we can make accommodations for the small number of people who actually are transgender… 

Tell that to the girls who've worked their whole life to get a scholarship and are bumped by a male. 

52 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Tell that to the girls who've worked their whole life to get a scholarship and are bumped by a male. 

When it happens. Till then it is an imaginary fear. As are most seeds of hate.

btw, you still have to apply for a scholarship. If a board of a college decides that a transgender female athlete is the most deserving overall that person must have a pretty impressive resume beyond the sports scholarship she is applying for.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wonder the panic going through the owners minds and wallets right now. Honestly surprised they let this happen. 

Actually surprised it's happening in a southern team. Just waiting for the **** storm when Fox News and right wing parents groups find out. It's a good thing they definitely stopped watching the NFL all those years ago.

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

I wonder the panic going through the owners minds and wallets right now. Honestly surprised they let this happen. 

I've been active in this thread, but this doesn't bother me. Probably because I consider cheerleading open to both genders anyway and I know many of the squads are integrated. If Justine is one of the best, then she should be on the squad. To me, this feels much different than somebody stealing a woman's spot on a team...maybe because I don't think male genes give someone an advantage in too many aspects of this sport. In fact, this is impressive based on what I know. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I've been active in this thread, but this doesn't bother me. Probably because I consider cheerleading open to both genders anyway and I know many of the squads are integrated. If Justine is one of the best, then she should be on the squad. To me, this feels much different than somebody stealing a woman's spot on a team...maybe because I don't think male genes give someone an advantage in too many aspects of this sport. In fact, this is impressive based on what I know. 

I don't know enough about you to consider you the kind of bigot I think would be up in arms about something like this so that doesn't surprise me honestly. I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment either, but saying factually I don't know you that well so I wouldn't expect you to. I know that kinda sounded like I was being funny but I wanted to clear up I wasn't. 

But I do believe there are enough good ole boys in the NFL fanbase to make the owners squirm at this a bit. But I guess we will see eventually. Your post does have me wondering about Male and Womans gymnastics and how things like advantages based on gender would work. I had not even thought about that previously 

15 hours ago, Llevron said:

I don't know enough about you to consider you the kind of bigot I think would be up in arms about something like this so that doesn't surprise me honestly. I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment either, but saying factually I don't know you that well so I wouldn't expect you to. I know that kinda sounded like I was being funny but I wanted to clear up I wasn't. 

But I do believe there are enough good ole boys in the NFL fanbase to make the owners squirm at this a bit. But I guess we will see eventually. Your post does have me wondering about Male and Womans gymnastics and how things like advantages based on gender would work. I had not even thought about that previously 

I guess I hadn't thought about it either...very broadly (and probably very stereotypically with exceptions) I would think that men would be more powerful while women would be more graceful and flexible. So, when I think the NFL cheerleaders that I know (I'm married to a former one) and the routines that I know they traditionally do, it's pretty impressive to think of someone like me getting out there and doing some of those kicks, splits, etc. I know that some teams had integrated males a while ago, but it was in a more traditional spotting/basing situation where bigger/stronger guys would throw the girls around. Obviously, that makes sense in pea-sized brain :)