Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Leno and Lucas both starting heavily on the Bears OL in 2019. Well, Lucas came in at RT for the second half of the season. Having a solid bunch of vet OT alongside some of the younger players we have is a decent approach to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Leno and Lucas both starting heavily on the Bears OL in 2019. Well, Lucas came in at RT for the second half of the season. Having a solid bunch of vet OT alongside some of the younger players we have is a decent approach to me.

Yep, depth and mentor to the younger guys.  

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yep, depth and mentor to the younger guys.  

I like the idea of Leno at the right price.  I'd hope it means christian is cut as opposed to Moses.   Moses is still relatively young and is worth his cap number imo, I'd like to keep him in the fold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I like the idea of Leno at the right price.  I'd hope it means christian is cut as opposed to Moses.   Moses is still relatively young and is worth his cap number imo, I'd like to keep him in the fold.

Well, Moses is better than Christian at this point, I think plus signing Lucas last year pushed Moses.  Maybe Leno pushes Christian like Lucas pushed Moses and we keep both.  :) 

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.47.23 PM.png

From the same article, I found this part interesting:

Grading McCain’s total value is tricky, and we must consider several factors.

First, safety isn’t McCain’s traditional position. He was a nickel cornerback who was asked to move to free safety upon coach Brian Flores’ arrival in South Florida more than two years ago. McCain has since been asked numerous times about his comfort playing the position.

“I wouldn’t necessarily call it comfortable,” McCain said in September. “I’m just getting better. I try to get better each and every week and put good stuff on tape.”

Despite moving against his will, McCain took one for the team and stepped up in a big way. He evolved into a defensive communicator and was voted as a team captain last year.

McCain obviously handled himself well at FS, so it seems he has a lot of room for growth as his comfort level increases.  He seems like a team player who made the switch without any drama.  I'm sure RR will make it clear he will be used heavily at FS if that is their plan for him.  We have already have one db who is stubborn about what position he will play, we don't need another one.

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, Moses is better than Christian at this point, I think plus signing Lucas last year pushed Moses.  Maybe Leno pushes Christian like Lucas pushed Moses and we keep both.  :) 

But with cosmi, that would mean 5 OT.  That's not gonna happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

First, safety isn’t McCain’s traditional position. He was a nickel cornerback who was asked to move to free safety upon coach Brian Flores’ arrival in South Florida more than two years ago. McCain has since been asked numerous times about his comfort playing the position.

“I wouldn’t necessarily call it comfortable,” McCain said in September. “I’m just getting better. I try to get better each and every week and put good stuff on tape.”

Despite moving against his will, McCain took one for the team and stepped up in a big way. He evolved into a defensive communicator and was voted as a team captain last year.

McCain obviously handled himself well at FS, so it seems he has a lot of room for growth as his comfort level increases.  He seems like a team player who made the switch without any drama.  I'm sure RR will make it clear he will be used heavily at FS if that is their plan for him.  We have already have one db who is stubborn about what position he will play, we don't need another one.

That is an interesting quote. I suppose worth noting that it was before last season. So presumably one more season as a FS made him more comfortable in the role. Even possible it means he still has room for growth at the position. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

But with cosmi, that would mean 5 OT.  That's not gonna happen.

These OTs can be moved to OG.  RR said he likes diversity.  So he will make the call on talent and diversity both.  

4 minutes ago, terpfan said:

That is an interesting quote. I suppose worth noting that it was before last season. So presumably one more season as a FS made him more comfortable in the role. Even possible it means he still has room for growth at the position. 

Even more proof of diversity on D as well as O.  Gotta have it and RR and Co. are addressing it and getting it.

Edited by RWJ

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yep mentioned McCain at corner. Quite a few holdovers could be on the way out come Sept.

The problem is I don’t know how he fits at corner. The bigger need would be an outside guy so they can slide Fuller inside to nickelback and let BSJ develop. Unless maybe they see Fuller being able to help at FS with McCain as the nickel, but that seems like it would be overly complicating things. Maybe they just bring all these versatile pieces in and see how it works itself out. 

16 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I’d prefer to restructure Moses considering the gap between his cap hit and dead cap hit. But cutting him is foolish considering he’s one of it not the leader of the offense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

But cutting him is foolish considering he’s one of it not the leader of the offense.

Agreed. As soon as we build some quality depth people want to get rid of it.

Some people have a hard time wanting to keep anyone that makes a good salary. We had a GM one time that felt that way. His name was Bruce Allen. And he was a sack of ****. 

• Like 10

Moses’ cap hit is right about in line with his performance, in my opinion. He’s the 17th highest paid tackle (7th among RTs) in the league. For comparison, PFF had him as the 18th highest rated tackle last year. That feels about right. 

4 hours ago, terpfan said:

The problem is I don’t know how he fits at corner. The bigger need would be an outside guy so they can slide Fuller inside to nickelback and let BSJ develop. Unless maybe they see Fuller being able to help at FS with McCain as the nickel, but that seems like it would be overly complicating things. Maybe they just bring all these versatile pieces in and see how it works itself out. 

Well I keep saying I’d love Nelson in to do that role, cut by the Steelers. Ideal outside corner for us. Just me being greedy for another FA :ols:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

One of things I really liked about last year is we actually let the rooks play. So many times in the past the ‘skins would draft players only to never let them on the field. They’d hire mediocre free agents time and time again so our pups never developed. 

I don’t want free agent placeholders who are C players starting over our rooks. I want the rooks with high potential to go through their growing pains so they can be actual contributors. 

I don’t want our Kamrron Kiel’s buried on the bench. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

Well for the newbies... it means you win $275 plus your $100 that you bet right?  So its technically its $375 you get back...

Yes you get back $375 total and the if you see something like -275 you need to bet $275 to win $100 Profit

If Leno signs, he starts at LT.

They use the year to get Cosmi's technique up to par. 

That does mean you are looking at Lucas pushing Moses. Maybe not this year, but roughly the same age and probably not too much of a drop off. 

Heck, if Leno plays well you may be looking at Cosmi at RT for the duration of his rookie contract.

Geron Christian is on the way out. Absent injury, put a fork in it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sjinhan said:

Well for the newbies... it means you win $275 plus your $100 that you bet right?  So its technically its $375 you get back...

And just to confuse things. In the UK, it would be said that you're getting odds of 11 to 4.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

One of things I really liked about last year is we actually let the rooks play. So many times in the past the ‘skins would draft players only to never let them on the field. They’d hire mediocre free agents time and time again so our pups never developed. 

I don’t want free agent placeholders who are C players starting over our rooks. I want the rooks with high potential to go through their growing pains so they can be actual contributors. 

I don’t want our Kamrron Kiel’s buried on the bench. 

Interesting viewpoint.  Any particular situations come to mind?  At first thought, it seems our cupboard has been so bare, that the opposite is true, we are throwing ppl into the fire who shouldn't be out there bc our talent is so weak.  But I'm not saying you're wrong.

I agree with your stance moving forward, bc I don't feel like we are in the phase of "all chips in the middle of the table bc we are trying to win now".  It would be very beneficial for our long term plan to develop the young uns.  Especially at LT, where cosmi should not be buried on the depth chart.  I would however prefer to see him redshirted in 21 while he works on his technique, but I don't want to block him from potentially taking over in 22. 

Leno on a 1 yr deal would be great; strengthen the corps in 21, then get the comp pick when he walks next year. 

As far as young guys I'd like to see get some extra PT this year: Hudson, Charles, milne, and heinecke (hard to get him reps without something going terribly wrong).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OGDMV said:

Cosmi is here to fill in at RG next year.... Change my mind.

Rivera said he was a left tackle? Maybe he ends up at guard but I don’t think that’s the plan. Charles is more likely to be the Scherff replacement IMO. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OGDMV said:

Cosmi is here to fill in at RG next year.... Change my mind.

If that’s the case it’s a failure. There is no way that is their intention. A backup plan, sure. Your statement makes it seem like that is plan 1a.

At this guys size/measurables, which are according to RAS the 2nd best profile ever measured among drafted tackles, combined with his 35 starts at LT and RT, if he ends up a guard we need to fire our oline coach.

scherff moving to G was one thing. He had agility/length concerns at T that we’re apparent before and after the draft process, and immediately at training camp. Cosmi has no such issues, and honestly, his height alone makes G tougher. 

If scherff leaves, we have Schweitzer, Flowers, and Charles at a minimum to work on replacing him with. Cosmi will be a tackle.

• Like 6