Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

To play Devil’s Advocate here...

 

What would you be willing to give for a QB who sat the bench for a year and you saw none of?

 

I’d give them A 4th. I have no idea what he brings to the table. 

Not quiet sure, however he was ranked around a 2nd round pick and 4th QB in the pre-draft rankings.  Clearly GB reached and have created a mess. Personally I don't like Jordan Love.  I was interested in what other people thought.  :cheers:

They'll probably have to ship him to keep AR.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A single high true FS like McCain would really be a huge get for this defense. Theres a lot of guys who are known as smart study types on that side of the roster. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For those who don’t believe we got proper value in our draft day trade with the Eagles, if not for Mayhew, it apparently would have been even worse.

 

Then, during the draft, Rivera was looking to bolster the special teams with Michigan snapper Camaron Cheeseman. Hurney made the connection with the division rival Eagles on the idea of trading next year’s fifth-rounder for Philly’s sixth-rounder (225th), and Mayhew worked on valuing the trade, imploring that Washington should push for another pick as part of the deal. The Eagles, in the end, wound up throwing in its their seven (240th).”

 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/5/7/22422705/ron-rivera-continues-to-reshape-front-office-bring-in-talent-familiar-whis-hand-picked-executives

 

 

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Is there any reason why Leno and McCain are not at redskins Park until Monday, normally they would have been there same day or day after. 

Well... Redskins Park doesn’t exist... so...

  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Ron learns from this and doesn’t go overpay a guy big for one year like he did Scherff. We could’ve had 3 good starters for the salary he is going to take up.

 

He is probably impossible to trade with the $18M cap figure but I wonder if we can move him for picks if we eat half the number and let a team eat the other half. This would also open up enough room for Leno and McCain

 

I would feel very comfortable letting Schweitzer, Charles and Cosmi compete for the RG spot in that event

18 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:


That’s enough for Scherff and Allen and Aaron Rodgers!


We are going to have to resign a bunch of guys like Thomas, McKissic and others (if that is something we choose to do)

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, method man said:

I hope Ron learns from this and doesn’t go overpay a guy big for one year like he did Scherff. We could’ve had 3 good starters for the salary he is going to take up.

 

He is probably impossible to trade with the $18M cap figure but I wonder if we can move him for picks if we eat half the number and let a team eat the other half. This would also open up enough room for Leno and McCain

I don’t think there’s any need to move Scherff for cap purposes. We’ll have enough space to sign both Leno and McCain if we want (sitting at likely around $13 mil in space now, even after accounting for rookies). If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be bringing them both in for visits.
 

I absolutely would NOT sign Scherff long term though. Not worth tying that much money up in a guard long term in my opinion. So if you want to to get something for him (other than a compensatory pick... which could be as high as a 3rd in 2023 depending on who else we sign) that would be the motivation to trade him now. It would have to be a relatively high pick (2nd? Maybe 3rd?) for me to make it worth losing a year of his production as well as the likely comp pick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have two bad contracts right now, Scherff and Collins.  Scherff could still be resolved with a long term contract this year, Collins is gone next year.  We should be in pretty good shape going into next year unless we get stupid with either of our Monday visitors (which I do not suspect will happen).  It’s nice to like a professional football team that actually acts like a professional football team.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, method man said:

I hope Ron learns from this and doesn’t go overpay a guy big for one year like he did Scherff. We could’ve had 3 good starters for the salary he is going to take up.

 

He is probably impossible to trade with the $18M cap figure but I wonder if we can move him for picks if we eat half the number and let a team eat the other half. This would also open up enough room for Leno and McCain

 

I would feel very comfortable letting Schweitzer, Charles and Cosmi compete for the RG spot in that event


We are going to have to resign a bunch of guys like Thomas, McKissic and others (if that is something we choose to do)

Rodgers isn't being traded here so who are you talking about and why the contract concerns?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting vid just popped up on my youtube suggestions.

 

What follows is A curiously illuminating analysis by a Bears fan of Charles Leno— done about a year ago.

 

He calls Leno a “perfectly average” left tackle.

 

Is that necessarily a bad thing? The answer may surprise you...

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Leno would be a solid pick-up. Don’t see his talent level that far off Moses at the other tackle spot. Clean medical history, what is it, hasn’t missed a start in 6 seasons or so. Buys us some time with Cosmi too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Interesting vid just popped up on my youtube suggestions.

 

What follows is A curiously illuminating analysis by a Bears fan of Charles Leno— done about a year ago.

 

He calls Leno a “perfectly average” left tackle.

 

Is that necessarily a bad thing? The answer may surprise you...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Haven't watched this, but isn't Lucas and Christian kind of in the average category?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, method man said:

I hope Ron learns from this and doesn’t go overpay a guy big for one year like he did Scherff. We could’ve had 3 good starters for the salary he is going to take up.

 

He is probably impossible to trade with the $18M cap figure but I wonder if we can move him for picks if we eat half the number and let a team eat the other half. This would also open up enough room for Leno and McCain

 

I would feel very comfortable letting Schweitzer, Charles and Cosmi compete for the RG spot in that event


We are going to have to resign a bunch of guys like Thomas, McKissic and others (if that is something we choose to do)

 

They got their FAs at good prices generally.  As for Scherff, piecing together different narratives from various beat reporters.  The impression that is given is they offered Scherff a longer term contract that would have made the highest paid guard in the NFL but his agent turned it down.  So they likely gave a strong swing at Scherff.  Once he turned that down they didn't want to lose him.

 

I know some on the board think Scherff is just a good guard or is overrated.  Pretty clear listening to some narratives on this, Rivera and the offensive staff doesn't agree on that.  They think he's a great guard.  And they are trying to build an O line that rivals their D line.  If I recall it was Sheehan who said he heard when Scherff missed some time last year it really altered what they can do on the R side of the line and it made a dramatic difference.  And the last thing they wanted to do in this off season is discard their best O lineman.  

 

Sounds like based on how Rivera went out of his way to say it was his decision to tag Scherff -- it comes off that maybe some in the FO disagreed with him.  If it were me, i'd probably let him hit FA and take my chances that I could have brought him back.  But who knows what would have happpened.  Some team like the Jets or Jags could have overpaid and took him away.   I know to some that means who cares.  But clearly Rivera really digs Scherff.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

 

Haven't watched this, but isn't Lucas and Christian kind of in the average category?

 

 

First, It’s worth watching. This guy is not your typical fan. You may disagree with his conclusions but his analysis is objective, insightful and as professionally produced, edited and supported with data as anything on ESPN. (seriously).

 

Geron Christian played so poorly two years ago and so much better last year, in limited action, that I’m not sure where I stand on him.

 

As for Lucas, in comparison to Leno, I think after watching this video one might ponder if Leno is truly an upgrade?  

 

It seemed to me that last year Lucas was at least average overall and at times he flashed dominant qualities. With another year of coaching he should in theory only get better.

 

However, I’m a casual fan at best and far from qualified to objectively answer who the better player/value is but I think the question is definitely  worth asking.

 

 

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

NFC East in 2021: Cowboys are favored, but can Washington repeat?

The NFC East is up for grabs for the 2021 NFL season. That's nothing unusual. After all, this is a division that hasn't had a repeat winner since the Philadelphia Eagles in 2004.

As if that's not enough, none of the division's storied franchises managed to finish with a winning record last season, leaving lots of room for improvement.

The Washington Football Team is the default defending NFC East champion after finishing 7-9. But the Dallas Cowboys are still the early favorites, for seemingly the 20th consecutive year. Clearly hope annually springs eternal for Cowboy Nation.

It would be foolish to count out anybody in this unpredictable division, especially considering the major offseason moves made by Washington, the New York Giants and Philadelphia. As the odds note, every team is a contender, albeit some more popular with the general public than others.

How betting market views NFC East

Oddsmakers project the division to be competitive yet rather underwhelming for the second straight season. Among the four teams, Dallas has the highest win total at 9.5 (under -130). However, the Cowboys are the NFL's only projected division winner with a win total that is not in double digits.

By comparison, the Los Angeles Rams (10.5), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11.5), Green Bay Packers (11), Kansas City Chiefs (12), Baltimore Ravens (11), Indianapolis Colts (10) and Buffalo Bills (10.5) all represent stronger top teams.

The win totals also indicate that Washington (8), New York (7) and Philadelphia (7) can surpass Dallas to win the division. In fact, at 5-1, the Eagles have the shortest division odds of any team that is expected to finish in last place in 2021.

By comparison, the Las Vegas Raiders (18-1), New York Jets (20-1), Houston Texans (20-1), Cincinnati Bengals (24-1), Carolina Panthers (10-1), Arizona Cardinals (+575) and Detroit Lions (22-1) all portray cellar-dweller teams that are likely at least a year away from any division crowns. -- Doug Kezirian

 

Here's a breakdown for each NFC East team, with odds provided by Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill:

 

 

Washington Football Team, Odds: +275

What's the value (good, bad, about right)? About right. Though Dallas is considered the favorite based on these odds, it's not as if Washington is severely undervalued. This likely will be a three-team race, with Washington just as good of a bet as the others. When you consider that no team has repeated as the division winner here in forever, it's understandable Washington isn't the favorite.

Why the WFT can win: Because it upgraded both sides of the ball coming off a 7-9 division championship in coach Ron Rivera's first season -- one impacted by his cancer treatments. It added speed at wide receiver with Curtis Samuel and Dyami Brown. It bolstered the offensive line with second-round tackle Samuel Cosmi. It added cornerback William Jackson III and linebacker Jamin Davis to solidify the group playing behind one of the best defensive lines in football. And, while quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has never appeared in a playoff game he, too, is an upgrade -- and playing the best ball of his career.

Who should be the favorites: Washington, by the slimmest of margins. I was going to say Dallas because of Prescott's return, and New York is right there, too. But no. Washington had the division's best defense and improved its offense. Consider that it won seven games despite going 1-5 in six starts by quarterback Dwayne Haskins Jr., who was released last season, and five of those seven wins came with a legitimate starting quarterback -- Alex Smith (5-1) -- in the lineup. So while Dallas will be better with Prescott and New York has improved its offensive skill talent, Washington also will be much better with Fitzpatrick and its additions to pair with the division's best defense. -- John Keim

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31399262/nfc-east-2021-cowboys-favored-washington-repeat

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFC East in 2021: Cowboys are favored, but can Washington repeat?

The NFC East is up for grabs for the 2021 NFL season. That's nothing unusual. After all, this is a division that hasn't had a repeat winner since the Philadelphia Eagles in 2004.

As if that's not enough, none of the division's storied franchises managed to finish with a winning record last season, leaving lots of room for improvement.

The Washington Football Team is the default defending NFC East champion after finishing 7-9. But the Dallas Cowboys are still the early favorites, for seemingly the 20th consecutive year. Clearly hope annually springs eternal for Cowboy Nation.

It would be foolish to count out anybody in this unpredictable division, especially considering the major offseason moves made by Washington, the New York Giants and Philadelphia. As the odds note, every team is a contender, albeit some more popular with the general public than others.

How betting market views NFC East

Oddsmakers project the division to be competitive yet rather underwhelming for the second straight season. Among the four teams, Dallas has the highest win total at 9.5 (under -130). However, the Cowboys are the NFL's only projected division winner with a win total that is not in double digits.

By comparison, the Los Angeles Rams (10.5), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11.5), Green Bay Packers (11), Kansas City Chiefs (12), Baltimore Ravens (11), Indianapolis Colts (10) and Buffalo Bills (10.5) all represent stronger top teams.

The win totals also indicate that Washington (8), New York (7) and Philadelphia (7) can surpass Dallas to win the division. In fact, at 5-1, the Eagles have the shortest division odds of any team that is expected to finish in last place in 2021.

By comparison, the Las Vegas Raiders (18-1), New York Jets (20-1), Houston Texans (20-1), Cincinnati Bengals (24-1), Carolina Panthers (10-1), Arizona Cardinals (+575) and Detroit Lions (22-1) all portray cellar-dweller teams that are likely at least a year away from any division crowns. -- Doug Kezirian

 

Here's a breakdown for each NFC East team, with odds provided by Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill:

 

 

Washington Football Team, Odds: +275

What's the value (good, bad, about right)? About right. Though Dallas is considered the favorite based on these odds, it's not as if Washington is severely undervalued. This likely will be a three-team race, with Washington just as good of a bet as the others. When you consider that no team has repeated as the division winner here in forever, it's understandable Washington isn't the favorite.

Why the WFT can win: Because it upgraded both sides of the ball coming off a 7-9 division championship in coach Ron Rivera's first season -- one impacted by his cancer treatments. It added speed at wide receiver with Curtis Samuel and Dyami Brown. It bolstered the offensive line with second-round tackle Samuel Cosmi. It added cornerback William Jackson III and linebacker Jamin Davis to solidify the group playing behind one of the best defensive lines in football. And, while quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has never appeared in a playoff game he, too, is an upgrade -- and playing the best ball of his career.

Who should be the favorites: Washington, by the slimmest of margins. I was going to say Dallas because of Prescott's return, and New York is right there, too. But no. Washington had the division's best defense and improved its offense. Consider that it won seven games despite going 1-5 in six starts by quarterback Dwayne Haskins Jr., who was released last season, and five of those seven wins came with a legitimate starting quarterback -- Alex Smith (5-1) -- in the lineup. So while Dallas will be better with Prescott and New York has improved its offensive skill talent, Washington also will be much better with Fitzpatrick and its additions to pair with the division's best defense. -- John Keim

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31399262/nfc-east-2021-cowboys-favored-washington-repeat

 

 

Does +275 mean that if you bet $100 on the WFT and win you get back $275? So that it would be 2.75 to 1 odds?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

 

 

Does +275 mean that if you bet $100 on the WFT and win you get back $275? So that it would be 2.75 to 1 odds?

 

I think so but I am the wrong guy to ask.  I've never bet on sports.  But I know some here have. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

 

 

Does +275 mean that if you bet $100 on the WFT and win you get back $275? So that it would be 2.75 to 1 odds?

Yes $100 gets you back $275 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to say the trend can’t be broken but it may be prudent to reiterate that no team has repeated as NFC East Champions since 2004.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

 

 

Does +275 mean that if you bet $100 on the WFT and win you get back $275? So that it would be 2.75 to 1 odds?

Yes, but you need to think like a true degenerate. 10k would get you 27.5k!! 😆

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivera repeated again that we tried to add Edge in FA but couldn’t attract the players we wanted due to our starters. Got to think the rookies have a very good chance of sticking around and/or we finally come to some middle ground with Kerrigan.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFC East in 2021: Cowboys are favored, but can Washington repeat?

The NFC East is up for grabs for the 2021 NFL season. That's nothing unusual. After all, this is a division that hasn't had a repeat winner since the Philadelphia Eagles in 2004.

As if that's not enough, none of the division's storied franchises managed to finish with a winning record last season, leaving lots of room for improvement.

The Washington Football Team is the default defending NFC East champion after finishing 7-9. But the Dallas Cowboys are still the early favorites, for seemingly the 20th consecutive year. Clearly hope annually springs eternal for Cowboy Nation.

It would be foolish to count out anybody in this unpredictable division, especially considering the major offseason moves made by Washington, the New York Giants and Philadelphia. As the odds note, every team is a contender, albeit some more popular with the general public than others.

How betting market views NFC East

Oddsmakers project the division to be competitive yet rather underwhelming for the second straight season. Among the four teams, Dallas has the highest win total at 9.5 (under -130). However, the Cowboys are the NFL's only projected division winner with a win total that is not in double digits.

By comparison, the Los Angeles Rams (10.5), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11.5), Green Bay Packers (11), Kansas City Chiefs (12), Baltimore Ravens (11), Indianapolis Colts (10) and Buffalo Bills (10.5) all represent stronger top teams.

The win totals also indicate that Washington (8), New York (7) and Philadelphia (7) can surpass Dallas to win the division. In fact, at 5-1, the Eagles have the shortest division odds of any team that is expected to finish in last place in 2021.

By comparison, the Las Vegas Raiders (18-1), New York Jets (20-1), Houston Texans (20-1), Cincinnati Bengals (24-1), Carolina Panthers (10-1), Arizona Cardinals (+575) and Detroit Lions (22-1) all portray cellar-dweller teams that are likely at least a year away from any division crowns. -- Doug Kezirian

 

Here's a breakdown for each NFC East team, with odds provided by Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill:

 

 

Washington Football Team, Odds: +275

What's the value (good, bad, about right)? About right. Though Dallas is considered the favorite based on these odds, it's not as if Washington is severely undervalued. This likely will be a three-team race, with Washington just as good of a bet as the others. When you consider that no team has repeated as the division winner here in forever, it's understandable Washington isn't the favorite.

Why the WFT can win: Because it upgraded both sides of the ball coming off a 7-9 division championship in coach Ron Rivera's first season -- one impacted by his cancer treatments. It added speed at wide receiver with Curtis Samuel and Dyami Brown. It bolstered the offensive line with second-round tackle Samuel Cosmi. It added cornerback William Jackson III and linebacker Jamin Davis to solidify the group playing behind one of the best defensive lines in football. And, while quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has never appeared in a playoff game he, too, is an upgrade -- and playing the best ball of his career.

Who should be the favorites: Washington, by the slimmest of margins. I was going to say Dallas because of Prescott's return, and New York is right there, too. But no. Washington had the division's best defense and improved its offense. Consider that it won seven games despite going 1-5 in six starts by quarterback Dwayne Haskins Jr., who was released last season, and five of those seven wins came with a legitimate starting quarterback -- Alex Smith (5-1) -- in the lineup. So while Dallas will be better with Prescott and New York has improved its offensive skill talent, Washington also will be much better with Fitzpatrick and its additions to pair with the division's best defense. -- John Keim

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31399262/nfc-east-2021-cowboys-favored-washington-repeat

Watching the video man Marcus spears is annoying

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...