Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Quick glance looking at Spotrac, and I’m not completely sure how this stuff is calculated but it looks like we have $6M in cap room.

Some of you have awfully wishful thinking in signing some of these dudes.

It says 15M but I don’t think that’s including the rookies into the hit yet. Rookies project to be a little over 9M

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We know he is not being cut, because that's terrible cap management. 

We know preinjury that he's a great SS.

We know he isn't a LBer.

He says he's not playing LBer.

We know his coach says he's a SS and not playing LBer.

So, these are the things we know. Anything else is just opinion.

Serious question.

If we switch between a 4-2-5 and a 4-3-4 and a player is 2nd player after CB (works from right or left side in these pics).  If it's a "SS" making a tackle on a RB, does it really matter if they call him a SS or a OLB?  I know there are packages and tradition roles, but if they call him a SS and play him in some downs with "LB" assignments, he's still part of the back 7. 

Am I missing something?  Can't we give him hybrid safety/linebacker assignments and call him a strong safety?

425normal thumb 4 2 5 Normal Formation Breakdown

3-4 vs. 4-3 Defense in Football: Which Is Better? - HowTheyPlay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Serious question.

If we switch between a 4-2-5 and a 4-3-4 and a player is 2nd player after CB (works from right or left side in these pics).  If it's a "SS" making a tackle on a RB, does it really matter if they call him a SS or a OLB?  I know there are packages and tradition roles, but if they call him a SS and play him in some downs with "LB" assignments, he's still part of the back 7. 

Am I missing something?  Can't we give him hybrid safety/linebacker assignments and call him a strong safety?

Not entirely sure what you’re asking. If he’s rolled up like the “SS” in the first picture he’s still a SS but he’s rolled low. His job is slightly different playing low versus high.

This is a role he has already played for us.

Edited by KDawg

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So, pause on the Collins contract talk. I don't know if more contract details have come out recently or not, but both Spotrac and Overthecap have changed their salary projections for cutting Collins. I haven't checked since pre-Free Agency but back then there was only $16m guaranteed remaining. Meaning we cut him now and accelerate $1m to this years cap ... or we cut him next year and take that on as an $8m hit (same as post June 1st).

Now both are reflecting that there's $26m guaranteed remaining. Which means we cut him now and accelerate about $10m onto this year's cap. So I'm not sure why that changed?

Yep, see my post just now. The numbers on both sites have changed since I had last checked back in February. And those numbers were being reported by media too, which at the time were having the same debate. Cut now and take a bit more cap space, or cut post June 1st and save $6m. Not sure what changed between now and then. If one site had changed I would chalk it up to an error, but I assume both changed because more information became available on the contract? Which seems bizarre.

image.png.22baf2c25901a354f6be086330084757.png

Did Collins' salary become guaranteed at some date this off-season? That seems to be the difference. Not the guaranteed money, but the fact that now $12.5m of his contract THIS year is guaranteed. It looks like his previous base converted to guaranteed on here and Spotrac?

In that case, he's definitely not "cutable" this year. He's still owed about $9.6m beyond 2021, so cutting him after the season would save $7 million or so on 2022 cap.

image.png.04874e5ffb63f7d3a851c7326631c238.png

12.5 mill salary guaranteed for injury, it's in the SportTrac notes.  3/21/21.

Likely wouldn't have passed a physical, so they couldn't cut him and he wouldn't have gone for less than the full 12.5 mill if they tried to settle.  I mentioned around start of FA, but this was basically always the case and the numbers do not point to a cut this year.

Just now, KDawg said:

Not entirely sure what you’re asking. If he’s rolled up like the “SS” in the first picture he’s still a SS but he’s rolled low. His job is slightly different playing low versus high.

My question is does calling him a safety or a linebacker matter if at times he will be in the same position of the field.  As a SS in a 4-2-5, he'll have assignments that are similar to a OLB in the 4-3 above, correct?  

2 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

image.png.04874e5ffb63f7d3a851c7326631c238.png

12.5 mill salary guaranteed for injury, it's in the SportTrac notes.  3/21/21.

Likely wouldn't have passed a physical, so they couldn't cut him and he wouldn't have gone for less than the full 12.5 mill if they tried to settle.  I mentioned around start of FA, but this was basically always the case and the numbers do not point to a cut this year.

My question is does calling him a safety or a linebacker matter if at times he will be in the same position of the field.  As a SS in a 4-2-5, he'll have assignments that are similar to a OLB in the 4-3 above, correct?  

No. That’s why they say he’s not moving to linebacker. People here over complicate all of that stuff. In the 4-2 our linebackers are the two inside guys. That’s it. In the 4-3 we have three backers. One may be flexed out as a SS in the top diagram or apexed... but he’s still a linebacker and not a SS.

A 4-3 isn’t an alignment. It’s a personnel. Same with the 4-2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No. That’s why they say he’s not moving to linebacker. People here over complicate all of that stuff. In the 4-2 our linebackers are the two inside guys. That’s it. In the 4-3 we have three backers. One may be flexed out as a SS in the top diagram or apexed... but he’s still a linebacker and not a SS.

A 4-3 isn’t an alignment. It’s a personnel. Same with the 4-2.

But if you use the 3rd LB (4-3) similar to the 5th DB (4-2), is their role/assignment that different. 

edit: there/their/they're...

Edited by jsharrin55

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Quick glance looking at Spotrac, and I’m not completely sure how this stuff is calculated but it looks like we have $6M in cap room.

Some of you have awfully wishful thinking in signing some of these dudes.

It says 15M but I don’t think that’s including the rookies into the hit yet. Rookies project to be a little over 9M

OTC is the more accurate since they're using the Top 51 at this point. I think Spotrac is using the entire 89 guys for some reason.

The rookie pool isn't as much as you think, because every rookie that signs his contract just bumps someone off the back-end of the TOp-51. Of course, you have to account for 2 low-level contracts coming back into play when the roster expands to 53 before the season, but we're talking about $1.6m at that point.

Ex: Dyami Brown will probably make $800k. He'll replace a guy on the back-end who was making $800k, aka a wash.

The only two guys that will net decrease our cap are Davis and Cosmi since they'll probably make over $1m. Even then Davis at $1.8m would bump off someone at $800k and thus = a net decrease in cap space of $1m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jsharrin55 said:

But if you use the 3rd LB (4-3) similar to the 5th DB (4-2), is there role/assignment that different. 

It’s dependent on coverage and play call. So it could be the exact same or different. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

It’s dependent on coverage and play call. So it could be the exact same or different. 

It seems nuanced to me and I'm am not an X/Os guy beyond basics (clearly).  It just seems you could call Collins a safety and then play him as a hybrid.  That's the ultimate point I'm curious about.

edit: and thanks

Edited by jsharrin55

Just now, jsharrin55 said:

It seems nuanced to me and I'm am not an X/Os guy beyond basics (clearly).  It just seems you could call Collins a safety and then play him as a hybrid.  That's the ultimate point I'm curious about.

edit: and thanks

Thats exactly what they’re going to do. It’s what they’ve done with him in the past. 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

OTC is the more accurate since they're using the Top 51 at this point. I think Spotrac is using the entire 89 guys for some reason.

The rookie pool isn't as much as you think, because every rookie that signs his contract just bumps someone off the back-end of the TOp-51. Of course, you have to account for 2 low-level contracts coming back into play when the roster expands to 53 before the season, but we're talking about $1.6m at that point.

Ex: Dyami Brown will probably make $800k. He'll replace a guy on the back-end who was making $800k, aka a wash.

The only two guys that will net decrease our cap are Davis and Cosmi since they'll probably make over $1m. Even then Davis at $1.8m would bump off someone at $800k and thus = a net decrease in cap space of $1m.

Sportrac has Jamin over 2M and a 9M rookie hit. They have it listed in two ways. Top 51 and all.

The top 51 gives us 15M. But the rookie contracts don’t appear to be baked in.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Thats exactly what they’re going to do. It’s what they’ve done with him in the past. 

Sportrac has Jamin over 2M and a 9M rookie hit. They have it listed in two ways. Top 51 and all.

The top 51 gives us 15M. But the rookie contracts don’t appear to be baked in.

Bottom left ... Top 51 impact of rookie class on salary cap ...

image.png.32be5b66c6cf4a3e8e67b5ae277b2b14.png

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Bottom left ... Top 51 impact of rookie class on salary cap ...

image.png.32be5b66c6cf4a3e8e67b5ae277b2b14.png

Bottom right. But ya okay. So we have a touch under 10M available. And we’re going to want rollover.

I just ran through Spotrac, manually inputted our rookie class, and went through and cut the roster down to 53 players based on my "projections" from the roster thread.

The 53 contracts, including keeping most of our roookie class = $14.8m in total cap space remaining.

Add McClain and subtract Everett's $1.4m since he's likely gone as a result.

Add Leno and take off about $2.3m since you're probably keeping Leno over a 7th WR in Cam Sims (who is #2.3m on his RFA deal)

So even by adding those two, you shouldn't have a big jump in cap.

Barber ($1.4m), Evrett ($1.4m), Sims ($2.3m), Christian ($1.3m), Apke ($1.3m), Martin ($1m) are likely cap casualties that have slightly bulkier contracts.

*Edit. My current 53 man roster has $15.3m in cap space. Everett saves you $1.8m so if you bring in McCain, factor in him being off the 53 man to compensate. Not sure who you drop for Leno ... if you take 10 lineman, or if someone like Corn Lucas and his $2m contract become expendable, since I already have Christian as a cut with or without Leno.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I just ran through Spotrac, manually inputted our rookie class, and went through and cut the roster down to 53 players based on my "projections" from the roster thread.

The 53 contracts, including keeping most of our roookie class = $14.8m in total cap space remaining.

Add McClain and subtract Everett's $1.4m since he's likely gone as a result.

Add Leno and take off about $2.3m since you're probably keeping Leno over a 7th WR in Cam Sims (who is #2.3m on his RFA deal)

So even by adding those two, you shouldn't have a big jump in cap.

Barber ($1.4m), Evrett ($1.4m), Sims ($2.3m), Christian ($1.3m), Apke ($1.3m), Martin ($1m) are likely cap casualties that have slightly bulkier contracts.

*Edit. My current 53 man roster has $15.3m in cap space. Everett saves you $1.8m so if you bring in McCain, factor in him being off the 53 man to compensate. Not sure who you drop for Leno ... if you take 10 lineman, or if someone like Corn Lucas and his $2m contract become expendable, since I already have Christian as a cut with or without Leno.

Good stuff. Were you able to export the cap hits to an excel or something? I’d love to mess around with that some myself. 

money could be tight, but we may choose to

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I used their cap manager tool and they still had Caleb Brantley on the roster.  And it's not just dead money, cause I was able to cut him and get it down

I was able to save almost 4 mil by cutting loose Christian, Martin, Everett and Apke using their cap manager tool.  I know Everett's a special team leader but with McCain on the roster Reaves would be spending more time on teams of Forestt would be cheaper than Everett

Okay, here's the screen shot of the Final 53 without McCain or Leno. But gives you a sense of what it should look like when the 53 man trim down occurs .... also not perfect since I think this has 7 WRs and I didn't reflect exactly what I thought my final 53 would be in the roster thread, but give or take, this is pretty close to what the roster CAP situation would be on cut-down day ...

image.png.07437f660c8bf712bbd95b1c5a028aea.png

image.png.6ffadbe5e6e17e6ce97172de0a846fa8.png

image.png.1adcc6e25777aa5e6226a64fc9a512ce.png

image.png.dcce17b9e75338d06c3001f3d546f353.png

image.png.485fe977851ebe067c81d088e612d841.png

image.png.ee2f051abd0efbca0282c14e39adb7e8.png

1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

Serious question.

I don't think the title of the role matters or where he plays. He's a box SS.

The same way as a LB who plays with his hand in the dirt on a 43 over. He doesn't become a DE.

1 minute ago, Silvernon said:

@JamesMadisonSkins

I'm missing where Reaves hopped over Everett in the depth chart. To me, if you get McCain, Everett is the guy as the ST captain, and versatile reserve. 

Reaves is pretty one-dimensional. I think he's an easy cut. 

Reaves cap hit is $850k and Everett's is $1.8m

They both make the roster today. If you sign McCain then I figure Everett is out since you just drafted FS Forrest who is a special teams ace. But who really knows. I'm sure there will be some camp surprises, and maybe Forrest doesn't even make it off the PS this year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Reaves cap hit is $850k and Everett's is $1.8m

They both make the roster today. If you sign McCain then I figure Everett is out since you just drafted FS Forrest who is a special teams ace. But who really knows. I'm sure there will be some camp surprises, and maybe Forrest doesn't even make it off the PS this year.

You need a lot of DB’s. I wouldn’t skimp there. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

You need a lot of DB’s. I wouldn’t skimp there. 

I'm with you. It was hard to track without referencing my exact roster projection, but I had:

FS: Reaves, Forrest

SS: Collins, Curl, Everett

CB: Jackson, Fuller, St.-Juste, Moreland

I see that I went under on the CBs. Fortunately for this exercise, the WRs I kept and CBs I cut were roughly even on salary. I'd throw Stroman/Johnson/Roberts back into the mix there as the CB5/6/7

My WRs: McLaurin, Samuel, Brown, Humphrey, Sims, AGG, Harmon, Milne ... that's 8 ...

I would guess you put Milne on PS and keep Humphrey for the SWR. Then you keep 1 of Sims/AGG/Harmon ... so that frees up 2 spots for CB. Cut Harmon and AGG and put Stroman and Roberts back on the roster and it doesn't make a ton of diff. on the salary cap. Unless of course Sims gets cut, bccause his RFA deal is $2.3m

I don't know why everyone is so quick to dump Collins. I for one would be very interested in seeing what he's capable of doing with that defense. Last year, the games he played were early, before the front 4 were excelling. If he can find his form, be a great box safety capable of playing against the run then he could be a very key missing piece.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1