Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

My guess is that Hudson will be a better fit at Will than anyone not named Jamin Davis.  

I’m not ready to say this is for sure the case (goes against my impression), but two good sources have mentioned that Holcomb played Mike for us and Bostic was the Sam.  So I think it’s going to be a matter of would they rather Jamin as SLB and Hudson as WLB, or Davis as WLB and Bostic/Mayo (outside chance of JHC) at SLB.  My guess is the former - Hudson/Holcomb/Davis in base, and then Holcomb/Davis in nickel.

This feels like a good read on the situation to me. I do know Bostic has played SLB before in his career. I thought he played MIKE predominantly here but they may have played Holcomb some there last year. Holcomb at MIKE is probably the best way to ensure the best talent stays in the field all 3 downs. 

Starting the 3 young guys is definitely the best case scenario, but mostly depends on what Hudson shows. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Schrager ranks Jaret Patterson as the best street free agent signing in this draft class.

On a side note I really liked Jake Funk in the Maryland games I watched. I’m surprised he lasted until the 7th round.

As a Maryland fan I think Jake Funk can stick in the NFL a long time. Everyone knows he’s a great character guy and will work his ass off on special teams. But he’s very underrated as a runner. Dude can play and I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make that team. 

Love Patterson too. I don’t think he’s as quick or fast as Sproles but he has more power. I think he offers a lot more than Peyton Barber or Lamar Miller. 

46 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Would be an upgrade to Moses imo and also provide better left tackle depth. 

Moses being released saves over $7m with only $1.9m in dead cap this year (none next year). 

I don’t disagree with the better player or anything argument. But this team has legit chemistry as a team and along the line. Hell flowers came back here for the Oline room. I don’t like the idea of jettisoning a team leader like that who has fought through injuries and is genuinely a solid player and highly thought of in the locker room. I’m all for bringing him in but would rather still keep Moses drop Christian and pay the extra money for legit depth all along the line. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Moses being released saves over $7m with only $1.9m in dead cap this year (none next year). 

Huge smile on this one.  Get this done, RR!  We again upgrade our LT position with him if we get a deal done!  :)

1 minute ago, terpfan said:

Releasing Moses would be absolutely ruthless. Don’t see that happening. Personally, I don’t think this guy is an upgrade over him. 

I mean I’m hoping this would be an instant release of Christian and if anything we’d roll into the season with Leno at LT and Moses at RT with cosmi and Lucas as swings. 

Then roullier scherff Schweitzer flowers and Charles on the interior. There is your 9. Ismael would be 10 as a backup C. 

If you only keep 3 tackles I would submit Lucas is probably the one to drop even though he was solid last year. 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, moondog said:

I mean I’m hoping this would be an instant release of Christian and if anything we’d roll into the season with Leno at LT and Moses at RT with cosmi and Lucas as swings. 

Then roullier scherff Schweitzer flowers and Charles on the interior. There is your 9. Ismael would be 10 as a backup C. 

If you only keep 3 tackles I would submit Lucas is probably the one to drop even though he was solid last year. 

Yeah that would be my two deep if we sign Leno. If you only wanted to keep 9 OLs, I believe Schweitzer has served a backup center before in his career. 

15 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Yeah that would be my two deep if we sign Leno. If you only wanted to keep 9 OLs, I believe Schweitzer has served a backup center before in his career. 

yes, Schweitzer is a backup center.  Pretty sure he was our primary one last year

Bobby McCain: A Leader On and Off the Field

"Bobby has a unique ability to get along with all types of personalities, which in turn helps him on the field handle multiple communications with different individuals."

Dolphins Defensive Coordinator Josh Boyer didn't hesitate to call the longest-tenured member – and captain – of the Dolphins defense the quarterback of that unit.

"He really quarterbacks our defense. He's a really diligent worker," Boyer said. "Part of what we've really benefited from Bobby (McCain) being able to do is one, nurture relationships and two, be able to handle communications to numerous individuals."

Football is often referred to as the perfect reflection of life. Not only does it teach those fortunate enough to play the game invaluable life lessons in perseverance, grit and determination; it provides the most unique blend of personalities and people from all walks of life in one room with one common goal.

Boyer commended McCain's ability to galvanize the locker room and relate to all different personality types. According to McCain, there's the quiet group and the not-so-quiet group.

"On one end, I would say there's (defensive tackle) Zach Sieler and (tight end) Durham Smythe," McCain said. "Those are the quiet guys that stay to themselves and just come to work every day. Then there's (cornerback) Xavien Howard and (defensive end) Shaq Lawson. They come to work every day too, but let's just say they're not as quiet.

"Both groups are a lot of fun to be around and they're all good football players," McCain added.

McCain keeps a watchful eye over the locker room and over the defense. He draws a unique perspective of the field from his safety position. He's played 347 snaps this season with 276 of those coming from the free safety spot, according to Pro Football Focus.

From there, McCain communicates the shifts and adjustments the offense shows pre-snap. He takes pride in the responsibility of lining up the defense to match what the offense is showing. It should come as little surprise that he's the unofficial conductor of the defense on the field and the conduit between the coaching staff and the players between the white lines.

McCain – a standout at the University of Memphis – caught more than just 12 interceptions as a collegian. His prowess on the baseball diamond helped in developing quick feet and a captain's mentality. A quasi-center fielder on the football field, McCain buckled the shin guards and prided himself on playing behind the dish as a catcher.

From that position, and growing up around sports his entire life, McCain said a lot of life lessons – including his natural draw to leadership roles – come from athletics.

"With all sports that I've played, I've had to lead guys," McCain said. "Understanding where guys are supposed to be and what's supposed to happen. It's something I'm used to it."

A product of McCain's tutelage as the quarterback of the defense, the Dolphins boast the third-best scoring defense in the NFL at just 18.8 points per game allowed. Aside from his 21 total tackles, two quarterback hits, four pass breakups, interception and 0.0 passer rating allowed according to PFF, getting guys lined up is just as crucial as his actions after the whistle.

"I think Bobby has accepted the responsibility of what we want out of the free safety position in being a primary communicator," Dolphins Defensive Backs Coach Gerald Alexander said. "What allows him to do so is his understanding of the defense and his understanding of not just his 1/11th but everybody, and getting guys where they need to be, in positions to make plays."

The captain's duties are not exclusive to the field. Accountability, showing up on time, putting in the daily work – these are all tenets of McCain's professionalism and lessons he's taken away from a life in sports.

"As a kid, there were several moments where sports taught me responsibility," McCain said. "Sports teach you to be on time. They teach you accountability to yourself and to your teammates. There are several moments where I look back and say 'man that made me a better player, a better man and hopefully one day a better husband and father.'"

Dolphins Head Coach Brian Flores is a stickler for the details. Knowing the situation and being prepared to react accordingly are non-negotiables for wearing the aqua and orange under his watch. Flores appreciates McCain not just for his production, but for his ability to convey that message relentlessly.

"You need someone to kind of remind guys to watch this or watch that," Flores said. "If it's third down, watch the sticks. I think we all kind of need reminders, and he's taken on that role and really embraced it. I'd say it's fair to say he's the quarterback of the defense."

The straw that stirs the drink on Miami's defense embraces the daily grind, the daily pursuit of improvement. Fresh off the bye week, however, McCain embraced the opportunity to clear his head and take some time away.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Pretty clear that the forum and PFF line of thinking that the OL was fine is not how the coaches felt. 

fine means if you have to go into the season with these people you're not in terrible shape, not that you can't improve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Miami Dolphins will miss Bobby McCain after his release today

In 2015, the Miami Dolphins added a cornerback that they converted to safety, today Bobby McCain will be a free agent for the first time in his career.

According to multiple reports, the Dolphins will be releasing McCain this afternoon and have already informed him that it will happen. McCain was the team’s captain and a leader on the field, he was solid in his role at safety and rarely heard his name mentioned for a bad play or angle but the Dolphins need cap space and McCain was taking up too much at a position that the Dolphins are deep at.

McCain was the 7th highest-paid player on the Dolphins roster with a cap hit of $7.14 million in 2021. Releasing him will save the Dolphins $5.6 million with a $1.4 million dead money hit. If the Dolphins designate him a post-June 1st cut, they will save $6.4 million but that money would not be available until June 1st. The Dolphins need to sign their rookie class.

At safety, the Dolphins will have Brandon Jones who played well last year, Eric Rowe, 2nd round pick Jevon Holland, and Clayton Fejedelem but McCain was consistently good and rarely made mistakes.

Over his six-year career with the Dolphins’ McCain started 55 of 87 games but only started double digits in a season twice. He had seven interceptions and a forced fumble with 254 tackles. He played corner his first four years in the league before transitioning to safety in 2019 under Brian Flores where he played one season at free safety and one at strong.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Its just so refreshing that vets who get cut WANT to visit DC now. Pretty much everyone in the country can see what we are building here. We just need a franchise QB. Thats it. Can Fitz be that guy??????????????? 

Edit: Gonna edit this and and add. This isnt a paycheck grab. If you are a player or a coach. You want to win. Period. That is why you bust your ass all season long. Really good things are starting to happen here. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 5