Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I thought the dolphins were in really good shape cap wise, no?

They only have about 8 million left this year before signing their rookies, from what I can see. Not dire straights, but if that Flowers trade is any indication, they are looking to shed cap for some reason. 

• Like 2

His overall PFF grades the last two seasons haven’t been that good although they are brought down by a low run stop grade. If we play him situationally as a deep safety, and go with Curl and Collins on run downs, we might be able to mitigate that. 

For what it’s worth, PFF is also not flawless. He seems to hold up much better to the eye test based on fans and coach’s comments on him. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 2

Jesus. You add Mccain to the back of this defense and it is nuts. This could possibly be the most dominate defense in the league. He is a ball hawk of the highest order. He will feast with this front seven man. 

4 minutes ago, terpfan said:

His overall PFF grades the last two seasons haven’t been that good although they are brought down by a low run stop grade. If we play him situationally as a deep safety, and go with Curl and Collins on run downs, we might be able to mitigate that. 

For what it’s worth, PFF is also not flawless. He seems to hold up much better to the eye test based on fans and coach’s comments on him. 

PFF is a joke in all honesty. They look at very specific stats to get their grades. It is kind of like RAS scores for prospects. Stats and athleticism is a guide. But not the end all be all for how good of a football player someone is. Tape tells all in the end. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hypothetically if we signed Leno and McCain, that really makes me wonder about the impending FS and OL casualties.

Forrest was just drafted and should make the roster. Reaves played very well. Apke is the obvious guy gone at FS but do you keep 3? So is Everett gone at SS with Curl/Collins?

Then on the OL, Leno, Lucas, Charles and Cosmi at LT. Moses at RT. Obviously Christian is gone but that was likely the case after Cosmi. So who’s the odd man out there? Does Charles for sure kick to LG? Compete with flowers? Does Schweitzer kick to RG and backup Scherf? So many questions. 

OT: Leno, Cosmi, Moses, Lucas

OG: Flowers, Scherff, Schweitzer, Charles

OC: Roullier, Ismael

thats 10. Usually just keep 9 OL?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

PFF is a joke in all honesty. They look at very specific stats to get their grades. It is kind of like RAS scores for prospects. Stats and athleticism is a guide. But not the end all be all for how good of a football player someone is. Tape tells all in the end. 

I don’t think it’s a joke but just a piece of the puzzle. It’s the same type of analysis scouts and coaches do, just quantified and available to the public. But by definition it’s still somewhat subjective. Football players will never be quantifiable the same way say, baseball players are. 

The benefit is it’s helpful quick

context for those of us without the time or resources to watch All-22 tape all day...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Hypothetically if we signed Leno and McCain, that really makes me wonder about the impending FS and OL casualties.

Forrest was just drafted and should make the roster. Reaves played very well. Apke is the obvious guy gone at FS but do you keep 3? So is Everett gone at SS with Curl/Collins?

Then on the OL, Leno, Lucas, Charles and Cosmi at LT. Moses at RT. Obviously Christian is gone but that was likely the case after Cosmi. So who’s the odd man out there? Does Charles for sure kick to LG? Compete with flowers? Does Schweitzer kick to RG and backup Scherf? So many questions. 

Charles is a swing player. G and T. Lucas is LT #2.  Apke is gone. And should have been gone 2 years ago in all honesty. Forrest to the PS. 

• Like 4

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Charles is a swing player. G and T. Lucas is LT #2.  Apke is gone. And should have been gone 2 years ago in all honesty. Forrest to the PS. 

Okay so even if Charles is a swing player at either LT or LG. You’re gonna have Cosmi me the LT3 out of the gate? Most teams don’t even carry an LT3.

Im pretty sure WFT has only kept 9 OL of late. Obviously I could be wrong but given the depth of the roster it seems like that’s excessive. So who goes?

Leno, Lucas, Cosmi, Charles, Flowers, Schweitzer, Roullier, Ismael, Scherff, Moses

im already assuming Beaushweizel, Larsen, Christian, and others are pretty big long shots 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think you have the OL right if Leno is signed. If only 9 are kept, Ismael is the most likely casualty I would think. Could still stash him on the PS if he gets through waivers. Unless there’s a Scherff trade in the works (unlikely). I’m still not convinced we’ll sign Leno. There’s competition for him and unless he’s really cheap I’m not sure I see the need.  

McClain however I think is a natural fit and I think, as much as I hate to say it, the obvious man out would be Everett. (I’m assuming Apke is already not making the roster - we’re not keeping 6 safeties). Cutting Everett saves over a mill against the cap with a very minimal cap penalty. Darrick Forrest fills the same role, down to being a special teams ace...

FS: McClain, Reaves

SS: Curl, Collins

Hybrid S/ST ace: Forrest

• Like 4

McCain was an extension of Flores on the field. And it was his unit’s strong play that allowed the Dolphins front seven to deliver the exotic blitzing that produced the majority of Miami’s 41 sacks in 2020. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-bobby-mccain-released-20210506-hi3hmdtwsng7ngkiuwplr3keru-story.html

His PFF stats are decent but doesn't blow your socks off.  But this late in the game we aren't getting Ed Reed. And he's a pure FS.  Reading about him he's likely up Rivera's alley -- leader and smart. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Okay so even if Charles is a swing player at either LT or LG. You’re gonna have Cosmi me the LT3 out of the gate? Most teams don’t even carry an LT3.

Im pretty sure WFT has only kept 9 OL of late. Obviously I could be wrong but given the depth of the roster it seems like that’s excessive. So who goes?

Leno, Lucas, Cosmi, Charles, Flowers, Schweitzer, Roullier, Ismael, Scherff, Moses

im already assuming Beaushweizel, Larsen, Christian, and others are pretty big long shots 

Cosmi can swing to both sides. Did it in college. 

LT: Leno, Lucas

RT: Moses

LG: Flowers

RG: Scherff

Ce: Roullier

Swing: Charles, Cosmi and Schweitzer

Ismael PS. Still is eligible. This is the problem with building a stacked roster. Some are going to be gone. That is a really good problem to have. And something we have never seen here. In the 80's/90's Gibbs would have IRed people for a god damn hang nail. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Imagine if Landon Collins started playing like the $15m a year safety he’s being paid to be. 

It is pretty crazy that if nothing else, he’s the only bad contract on the roster right now.... that’s why we’re in the position of being able to sign other teams’ cap casualties. It’s a nice change of pace. 

• Like 6

@clskinsfan okay Ismael to the PS makes the most sense then. Assuming Leno would be on a one year deal then you’d be looking at Leno (1), Lucas (1), Flowers (2), Schweitzer (2), Roullier (4), Scherff (1), Moses (2), Cosmi (4), Charles (3). 3 guys entering final years and 2 guys as potential cap casualties (although not likely if the 3 final year guys depart). 

Probably fairly normal by roster construction standards but would be nice not to lose a 5th round IOL with 3 years of contract left. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@clskinsfan okay Ismael to the PS makes the most sense then. Assuming Leno would be on a one year deal then you’d be looking at Leno (1), Lucas (1), Flowers (2), Schweitzer (2), Roullier (4), Scherff (1), Moses (2), Cosmi (4), Charles (3). 3 guys entering final years and 2 guys as potential cap casualties (although not likely if the 3 final year guys depart). 

Probably fairly normal by roster construction standards but would be nice not to lose a 5th round IOL with 3 years of contract left. 

If Ismael actually looks like a viable long term piece, they’ll find a way to keep him. Even as a 10th OL if need be. That’s one position you can’t have too much depth at, especially young, controllable depth. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

It really is beautiful to look at those years for each guy. Roster construction at its best. Vets play this year. Young guys take over in the next 2 or 3 years. And you draft for depth to keep the talent train happening. This is probably the most excited I have been in 25 years to be a Washington Football fan. Now just win a frikin Super Bowl before I croak for gods sake. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure Leno starts if he signs. I know. Crazy. But I think Cosmi could win the job.

Now, if Cosmi needs time a one year deal isn’t a terrible plan.

I’d pencil Charles in at RG to replace Scherff next year and use this season as his “real” rookie year. I’d probably keep 10 OL if possible but I haven’t messed with numbers because you never know how guys are gonna perform in camp.

• Like 4