Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

11 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't know why everyone is so quick to dump Collins. 

Largely because his contract is disgusting.

That said, cap management is fairly easy in the NFL world, just depends where you choose to utilise it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't know why everyone is so quick to dump Collins. I for one would be very interested in seeing what he's capable of doing with that defense. Last year, the games he played were early, before the front 4 were excelling. If he can find his form, be a great box safety capable of playing against the run then he could be a very key missing piece.

If I had to guess...

What Have You Done For Me Lately? Business Leaders, Don't Become Complacent

1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

It seems nuanced to me and I'm am not an X/Os guy beyond basics (clearly).  It just seems you could call Collins a safety and then play him as a hybrid.  That's the ultimate point I'm curious about.

edit: and thanks

You could call Collins a DT and play him as a safety or you could call Collins a safety and play him as a DT.  Ultimately, the only things that matter* are:  1) his capabilities and liabilities; 2) where he is/moves to pre-snap; and 3) his assignment.  Anything else is just the downtime during the offseason and between games (also known as getalife).

*The nominal designation does matter for tag purposes, but that's because the NFL and players union are too stupid and greedy to figure out a pay system that does justice to the game and cuts out the nonsense of football teams being wagged by a salary cap system that is astonishingly counterproductive and makes important (who should not be), people who have no business being associated with America's collision sport, except as fans of the game they watch to relieve their lives of the sheer tedium of being scrawny accountants who can't even shotgun a beer.

13 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

That’s enough for Scherff and Allen and Aaron Rodgers!

IF we cut Collins next year, that would save another $10 million or so, I think. I wouldn't count on rolling over too much, I think the in-season cap spend is usually around $3-8m depending on injuries. But there's a chance we could roll around $10m if we don't get too injured and have to pay replacement contracts for a chunk of the season.

BUT, outside of the QUARTERBACK position, we really shouldn't be looking to bring in too many big ticket free agents next off-season. There are no obvious glaring holes. Maybe we add a TE2 ... or bring in a guard to spell Scherff leaving. But ultimately, outside of QB, most holes SHOULD be filled through the draft. So that $$ should really be going, as I have been arguing all off-season to ...

1. Allen extension

2. Payne extension

3. McLaurin early extension

4. Logan Thomas extension

Let Scherff walk. Get a 3rd round comp pick in 2023 for it. Re-sign your own guys, keep rolling $$ over into future years. Draft solid replacements.

In a perfect world, Scherff walks, and your 2022 OL is Cosmi- Flowers - Roullier - Charles - Moses ... and doesn't miss a beat.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Largely because his contract is disgusting.

That said, cap management is fairly easy in the NFL world, just depends where you choose to utilise it.

It is but he he’s here regardless so cutting him for the same money or benching him makes no sense.

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah JDR made it clear Collins is a safety. 

He concluded the interview segment on Collins by saying ‘that doesn’t mean he won’t be playing in the box closer to the line is scrimmage, which well at times will be like a LB’ :ols:

This has been my guess going forward the team will be in 4-2 with Curl/Collins/FS as the base defense. 

A lot of man concepts and blitz packages. 

• Like 2

This is one of those years where I would be fine spending almost all of our cap and having no rollover.

The cap was supposed to be just over $250M this year and I suspect with stadium attendance back to normal and the new tv deal we could see a massive correction in the cap next year.  If they put it at the $250M it was supposed to be this year we'll have plenty of cap.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

This is one of those years where I would be fine spending almost all of our cap and having no rollover.

The cap was supposed to be just over $250M this year and I suspect with stadium attendance back to normal and the new tv deal we could see a massive correction in the cap next year.  If they put it at the $250M it was supposed to be this year we'll have plenty of cap.

This is kind of where I'm at too. More cap space is always good, but everyone expects the cap to increase significantly next year, we'll have Scherff and Collins likely off the books, and not a lot of major holes to fill besides QB. If there are players now that can help us, we might as well take advantage of being in a good cap position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Came in here to see an update on McCain, instead got a salary cap headache. Hoping the meeting goes well Monday.

Haha don't there will be any updates on that front until Monday...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

GB clearly screwed AR and there's a way for them to fix it by Guaranteed money and trading Jordan Love.

He's watched AR for a year and saw what it takes to be an MVP.  So if GB won't trade AR, then why not trade for Love?

To play Devil’s Advocate here...

What would you be willing to give for a QB who sat the bench for a year and you saw none of?

I’d give them A 4th. I have no idea what he brings to the table. 

• Like 2