Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

What do you all think the numbers would look like on an Anthony Harris deal? What is he projected to get on the market? I feel like we should potentially go "all-in" this season because there's no guarantee this DL is going to look the same next year. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I feel like we paid a premium on Samuel thanks to McCaffrey getting hurt in a Samuel contract year.  He inherited all those underneath touches that CMC woulda got.  I don't really think he's really $11mil WR, but timing is everything.  It is what it is.  But it's the same reason I didn't think Jamison Crowder was a $10mil WR a few years ago.  Nice player, but no. And Crowder was more productive for longer.  And yeah, Samuel's more versatile out of the formation and has a nice 40 time, but I didn't actually see that 40 in the games.  Not saying he plays slow, I'm just saying, I keep seeing the 4.3 40 quoted like it means something. In the actual numbers, you don't see 4.3 speed, big plays, yards per catch, etc.  And I get usage and putting him in the right situations.  That'll be up to Turner.  We got a lot of so called "swiss army knife" type players now, and versatility is helpful, but what scares me is the track record isn't there for him. 

We need that #2 outside guy, and it's not Samuel, and not really Sims/Harmon/AGG or anybody we currently have.  Hopefully the draft produces somebody.

$11 Mil for a quality starter is fine value.

And Samuel is much better then Crowder. Crowder his last two years here before leaving as a FA: ~1250 total yards, 5 total TDs. Samuel his last two years in Carolina: ~1800 total yards, 12 total TDs.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What do you all think the numbers would look like on an Anthony Harris deal? I feel like we should potentially go "all-in" this season because there's no guarantee this DL is going to look the same next year. 

Not sure but that TV deal just helped the case to keep the band together.  I'd like to see them placing 1st and second round tenders on guys instead of just tagging at a premium. 

Also, we've recently crossed a major threshold.

If there was any question before, whether major FA's would want to sign here, there's no question on that anymore.

We've acquired enough talent and the right talent, to be an attractive option for almost any free agent.

And now, it's even begun to start like dominoes falling, or the floodgates opening, where each top FA that signs here, makes us even a more attractive option

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

I too don't know what 'm talking about and I had this same thought. For the most part we only have 2 LBers on the field so It makes sense to me. 

We’re on to something, with our football knowledge combined, we have potential to build a championship defense.... For your local pee wee flag football team 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Let’s get to the important stuff!

The #’s game.

OK so Gandy-Golden is gonna go back to his #11 since Alex Smith is gone & Curtis Samuel will get his #10!  And then now that Ronald Darby is gone who’s gonna take the coveted #23?  Maybe a player yet to be drafted?? What about William Jackson?  Will he get #22?  Is Deshazor coming back?  Is he gracious enough to give up #22 if Jackson wants it?  Will he want #23?  What about #27?  Why does nobody wear that number anymore?  Surely they didn’t retire it for Fred Smoot! Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU

Quinton Dunbar?

18 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You know, you might be onto something. I just read a little on him and he might fit, and at a good price

Only issue with him is he's had multiple shoulder surgeries from what I have read.  Other than that he's a very good LB.

24 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

So even if he show he's the "answer" he's gone? (I'm assuming that if he's great that means he's also the answer)

Most likely unless he is so good he can’t be replaced and let’s be real... what in his history says he’s that good? And what in his Washington history says he’s that good?

Though Boston is a good player, no position market is more flooded with talent this offseason than free safety, so another one-year deal may be in store for him.

I like this quote in the pff write up for TB.  FS may be a waiting game, but hopefully we can get some good value.

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What do you all think the numbers would look like on an Anthony Harris deal? What is he projected to get on the market? I feel like we should potentially go "all-in" this season because there's no guarantee this DL is going to look the same next year. 

Not sure if they can make it work and leave enough money to sign a good linebacker but if they can I would love an Anthony Harris signing.  I agree our current defensive window could close in a couple of years so make a strong run right now.  Drafting well and developing more pieces could extend the window but adding Anthony Harris to the mix on a two or three year deal would be insane.    

Needing a quarterback, receiver and cornerback in free agency, Rivera and his new front office executives Marty Hurney and Martin Mayhew came out with a solid one-year quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick, an excellent cover cornerback in William Jackson III and versatile, explosive receiver Curtis Samuel — all on reasonable contracts that work well with the team’s future cap. So efficient were the deals that Washington still has room to add depth and pay this spring’s draft picks.

Wednesday night, after Samuel agreed to a three-year contract worth up to $35.5 million, former Philadelphia Eagles and Cleveland Browns president Joe Banner tweeted: “Putting [Washington] on short list of teams being smart so far. Long time since we could say that.” A lot of teams executives must be saying the same thing today.

There are two kinds of winning in football free agency: the kind where a team signs the biggest name for the most money, owning the chatter for the following few days and the kind where a team carefully adds necessary players, while leaving cap space to build essential depth. After years of racing to get the Albert Haynesworths at free agency’s first dawn, Washington waited for the players it needed and spent wisely, landing Samuel and Jackson in their 20s, with their careers on the rise, as opposed to their 30s when they are older and no longer in their athletic prime.

Never was that more clear than in its pursuit of Samuel. Receiver has always been a particular fascination of this franchise in the past two decades. Coaches and executives have long complained about Snyder’s yearning for star receivers, wasting years with foolish free agent signings and first-round picks that rarely led to postseason games. But by the end of last season, it was painfully clear that Washington needed a top receiver to match with its best offensive player, Terry McLaurin.

Samuel was always the perfect fit, having already played for Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner in Carolina. He is fast, with the unique ability to not only beat defenses deep but also cut across the middle of the field and make plays as a ball carrier off handoffs. He is also a close friend of McLaurin’s, his teammate at Ohio State. Almost to prove how much this team needed him, he tore it apart with 158 total yards in a 20-13 Panthers victory at FedEx Field last December.

He is exactly the kind of player the team would crave so much that it would race to sign him in free agency’s first minutes, regardless of what it cost to get him at that moment. But this time, Washington waited.

Rivera has preached a careful rebuild, something Hurney did when they worked together with the Panthers. With a smaller overall cap this year and a promising group of receivers in next month’s draft, most of the top wideouts in free agency went unsigned as the negotiation window opened. When the New York Jets agreed to sign Tennessee’s Corey Davis for a reported three years, $37.5 million, the temptation must have been there for Washington to rush to get a deal done with Samuel — who was also being pursued by the Las Vegas Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Rivera, Hurney and Mayhew didn’t jump. Instead, they signed Fitzpatrick and Jackson, refusing to overspend for the playmaker they badly wanted, they held on until the other receivers realized they weren’t getting the same money as Davis and Samuel agreed to come for the expected average of $11 million a year.

By being patient, Washington can slowly add depth to its roster, something it didn’t have before last season, when former vice president of player personnel Kyle Smith worked with Rivera to bring in several inexpensive free agents who helped the team win the NFC East.

It’s a different kind of winning for a team that used to own the free agent news cycle. With a quarterback who can be a solid one-year bridge to the franchise’s next, as well as ascending players in Samuel and Jackson who are upgrades at premium positions, Washington already is better three days into free agency than it was last week.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2