Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

On 9/27/2022 at 3:12 PM, China said:

This guy that Trump paid $3M upfront isn't even on the case anymore:

Newest addition to Trump’s legal team sidelined in Mar-a-Lago search case

The newest addition to former President Donald Trump’s legal team, Chris Kise, has been sidelined from the Mar-a-Lago documents investigation less than a month after he was brought on to represent Trump in the matter, two sources familiar with the move tell CNN.

Kise is expected to remain on Trump’s legal team but is not leading the work related to the federal government’s investigation into how the former President handled 11,000 documents seized from his Florida home in August following a lengthy effort by the government to retrieve them. The reason for the shift in Kise’s role remains unclear and he may instead focus his efforts on the other investigations Trump is facing, which range from his business practices to the January 6 insurrection.

The move is notable given Kise, the former solicitor general for Florida, was brought on to the team after a weeks-long search and struggle to find someone willing to take on the case who was also experienced in Florida law. The legal strategy for fighting the Justice Department following the August seizure of over 100 documents marked as classified was also in disarray.

Kise’s hiring came with an unusual price tag of $3 million, paid for by Trump’s outside spending arm. The retainer fee, paid upfront, raised eyebrows among other lawyers on Trump’s team, given the former President has a developed a reputation for not paying his legal fees.

Click on the link for the full article

Maybe Kise realizes it's a case he can't win, so doesn't want to be associated with it.

Apparently Kise thinks the rest of Trump's legal team is trash:

Trump lawyer privately trashing his colleagues for making the former president's legal woes worse: report

Deep in a report on the turmoil among Donald Trump's lawyers battling over legal strategy, with the former president possibly facing Espionage Act and obstructions charges, the Washington Post is reporting that one Trump attorney is privately complaining to associates about his colleagues whom he believes are exacerbating the president's precarious legal position.

The report notes that high-priced Trump attorney Christopher Kise -- who landed a $3 million retainer to join the legal team -- has been battling with the rest of the team over strategy and was so dissatisfied with a legal filing they submitted that he reportedly refused to sign it.

The report adds that Kise, who has been described as being "sidelined" by the rest of the team, has expressed dismay over the rest of the team's lack of experience for the task at hand.

Click HERE for more

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Trump's team is more than capable of signing sworn statements that they know aren't true at Trump's demand, hoping like hell they aren't caught because the penalties for lying under oath (sworn statements) are pretty onerous. 

Lawyers who don't want to face penalties somehow bow out of signing such unfounded sworn statements.

Even Guiliani refused to swear to the trumped up affidavits in the federal court in Williamsport PA, although he keeps spouting non-sense in the media just like the rest of them.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

For years, years, the same conversations have been going on with the same contentions and the same rebuttals and yet some of y'all still manage to gird on your armor and have at it.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.

If no one bothers to counter the lies from the right that narrative will be taken as truth.

Truth and facts matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

Capitol attack officer Fanone hits out at ‘weasel’ McCarthy in startling interview

In an extraordinarily candid and profane interview with Rolling Stone, Michael Fanone – the former Washington police officer who was seriously hurt at the US Capitol during the January 6 attack – called the Republican House leader, potentially the next speaker, a “****ing weasel ****”.

Fanone said past Republican giants would be unimpressed with Kevin McCarthy.

“I think at night, when the lights are turned off, Abe Lincoln and Ronald Reagan have some pretty choice words to say about the fact that they have to hang on Kevin McCarthy’s wall,” Fanone said.

“They did some ****ing above-average things. And they’ve got to adorn the wall of this ****ing weasel **** named Kevin McCarthy, with his fake ****ing spray-on tan, whose ****ing claim to fame, at least in my eyes, is the fact that he amassed a collection of Donald Trump’s favorite-flavored Starburst, put them in a Mason jar, and presented them to ****ing Donald Trump.

“What the ****, dude?”

Fanone’s remarks came as he promoted his memoir, Hold the Line, which will be published next week.

The title refers to Fanone’s actions on 6 January 2021, when he, a DC Metropolitan officer, answered calls from Capitol police and rushed to confront Trump supporters storming Congress in an attempt to stop certification of the outgoing president’s defeat to Joe Biden in the 2020 election.

Fanone suffered a heart attack and a traumatic brain injury. He has since left the police and emerged, with other officers, as a key witness in hearings held by the House January 6 committee. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Trump attorney lawyers up — and says she’s willing to cooperate with DOJ in Mar-a-Lago case: report

At least one member of former President Donald Trump's legal team has hired her own attorney — and allies are urging another to follow suit, according to The Washington Post.

Trump attorneys Christina Bobb and Evan Corcoran affirmed to the Justice Department that Trump had handed over all classified records from his Mar-a-Lago residence in response to a May subpoena. But prosecutors said their response was "incomplete" after the FBI searched and found more documents at Mar-a-Lago and cited evidence of "obstructive conduct" in response to the subpoena.

Bobb has since hired her own lawyer, Florida-based former prosecutor John Lauro, and "made it known to Trump allies that she is willing to cooperate and be interviewed by the Justice Department," according to the Post. And colleagues have similarly urged Corcoran to hire a criminal defense lawyer because of his response to the subpoena, according to the report, but he has insisted it is not necessary.

Fbdje1eXgAAWQKe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumb up 1

Supreme Court declines to hear case on DOJ ‘filter teams’ used in Trump search

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear a case about whether the Justice Department (DOJ) can use “filter teams,” such as the one enlisted by the DOJ to begin a review of evidence collected at former President Trump’s home in Mar-a-Lago to determine whether they are privileged.

The Justices denied a writ of certiorari in Korf v. United States, which questioned the legality of “filter team” protocols that allow teams of federal prosecutors and agents not assigned to a given case to review seized documents claimed to be privileged before the privilege question has been resolved.

The DOJ used a filter team to begin a review of the evidence collected during the execution of a search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence before Trump successfully pushed for a “special master” to review the documents he said were privileged.  

FBI agents at the Palm Beach, Fla., resort recovered classified documents taken from the White House and kept past the end of Trump’s time in office.

The former president’s defenses for how and why the documents ended up at Mar-a-Lago has shifted, but one of his claims stymying DOJ review of the materials is that the documents contain privileged information.

In Korf, a “filter team” of DOJ attorneys reviewed materials seized during an investigation before a court had responded to claims of privilege on those documents.

The United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit allowed the protocols to proceed without requiring the filter team to show that an exception to privilege may have applied to the documents.  

• Thumb up 1

I saw some random internet musing that WWIII has already started and it’s an international fight of democracy vs fascism.  And surveying the field, it sounds about right to me.  Taking it a step further, whichever side America ends up on will likely determine the how it plays out.  

No pressure I guess.

Really though, there is so much at stake right now.  How the next 2-4 years play out here seem to have global implications.

Im actually sticking with optimism.  It’s going to be a razor thin margin but I have to believe the smartz will beat the moronz.  I just can’t believe our society is this stupid.

• Thumb up 1

Trump Asks Supreme Court to Intervene in Review of Mar-a-Lago Records

In earlier cases, the justices have ruled against Mr. Trump when he sought to shield his financial and presidential records from prosecutors and congressional investigators.

Former President Donald J. Trump asked the Supreme Court on Tuesday to intervene in the litigation over documents marked as classified that the F.B.I. removed from his Florida estate, saying that an appeals court had lacked jurisdiction to rule on the matter.

Although the Supreme Court is dominated by six conservative justices, three of them appointed by Mr. Trump, it has rejected earlier efforts to block the disclosure of information about him, and legal experts said Mr. Trump’s new emergency application faced significant challenges.

The new filing was largely technical, saying that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, in Atlanta, had not been authorized to stay aspects of a trial judge’s order appointing a special master in the case.

“The 11th Circuit lacked jurisdiction to review the special master order, which authorized the review of all materials seized from President Trump’s residence, including documents bearing classification markings,” the application said.

I'm guessing that SCOTUS will not intervene and will decline to take up the matter.

1 hour ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

You had me up to here.

And completely lost me here.

I mean, I don’t know whether I actually believe it or not, but I’m choosing to for my own mental health.  Actually thinking about getting involved locally in my spare time to help out with voting.  It’ll make me feel better and have a non zero impact, feels like a win.

• Like 1