Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

Learning the grift from their master:

Some Capitol rioters try to profit from their Jan. 6 crimes

Facing prison time and dire personal consequences for storming the U.S. Capitol, some Jan. 6 defendants are trying to profit from their participation in the deadly riot, using it as a platform to drum up cash, promote business endeavors and boost social media profiles.

A Nevada man jailed on riot charges asked his mother to contact publishers for a book he was writing about “the Capitol incident.” A rioter from Washington state helped his father hawk clothes and other merchandise bearing slogans such as “Our House” and images of the Capitol building. A Virginia man released a rap album with riot-themed songs and a cover photograph of him sitting on a police vehicle outside the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

Those actions are sometimes complicating matters for defendants when they face judges at sentencing as prosecutors point to the profit-chasing activities in seeking tougher punishments. The Justice Department, in some instances, is trying to claw back money that rioters have made off the insurrection.

In one case, federal authorities have seized tens of thousands of dollars from a defendant who sold his footage from Jan. 6. In another case, a Florida man’s plea deal allows the U.S. government to collect profits from any book he gets published over the next five years. And prosecutors want a Maine man who raised more than $20,000 from supporters to surrender some of the money because a taxpayer-funded public defender is representing him.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

John Kelly Says Trump Thought He Knew Better Than Intel People, Didn’t Believe in Classification System

One of his messages that seemed to resonate with Republican voters was that Donald Trump was an outsider who came from outside the world of politics.

And Conservative media has frequently used Trump’s lack of familiarity with protocol as an excuse for his behavior. This weekend, the Washington Post story did a long-ranging story on Trump has his treatment of classified documents. According to former staffer John Kelly, Trump didn’t think the classification system was important.

Josh Dawsey, Rosalind Helderman, Jackie Alemany, and Devlin Barrett write, “A Trump adviser said the former president’s reluctance to relinquish the records stems from his belief that many items created during his term — photos, notes, even a model of Air Force One built to show off a new paint job he had commissioned — are now his personal property, despite a law dating to the 1970s that decreed otherwise.”

The writers also spoke to John Kelly and John Bolton about the way the former President operated. According to Kelly, “His sense was that the people who are in the intel business are incompetent, and he knew better. He didn’t believe in the classification system.”

Bolton said of his former boss, “almost nothing would surprise me about what’s in the documents at Mar-a-Lago. People were nervous enough about his lack of concern for classification matters that the briefers typically said, ‘Well, we need to take it back.’ He’d usually give it back — but sometimes he wouldn’t give it back.”

Click on the link for the full article

More on John Bolton and Trump's lackadaisical attitude regarding national security:

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

17 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

So I didn't read the article but ...🤣

The moving goalposts for this recent debacle are more like this (not original/mine):

1. There were no boxes at Mar-a-Lago
2. Other people brought those boxes to Mar-a-Lago
3. Archives could have retrieved the boxes anytime they wanted
4. All the documents in the boxes were declassified
5. I was protecting the boxes for the Archives
6. The boxes were planted by the FBI
7. Obama had more boxes
8.The documents should not have been classified in the first place
9. The documents were already returned.
10. They were my documents
11. There was a standing order that any documents I took out of the Oval Office were automatically declassified
12. Mishandled and rushed move by GSA
13. Invented hoax because J6 Committee ratings were dropping
14. Laws against espionage are wrong
15. Documents are protected by Client-attorney Privilege 
16. Documents are protected by Executive Privilege
17. Not only were the FBI wrong in taking them - they better give them back
18. The sensitivity of the documents has expired.
19. Like President Nixon said, "if the president does it, then it is not illegal."
20. I don't believe in the classification system

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, China said:

The moving goalposts for this recent debacle are more like this (not original/mine):

1. There were no boxes at Mar-a-Lago
2. Other people brought those boxes to Mar-a-Lago
3. Archives could have retrieved the boxes anytime they wanted
4. All the documents in the boxes were declassified
5. I was protecting the boxes for the Archives
6. The boxes were planted by the FBI
7. Obama had more boxes
8.The documents should not have been classified in the first place
9. The documents were already returned.
10. They were my documents
11. There was a standing order that any documents I took out of the Oval Office were automatically declassified
12. Mishandled and rushed move by GSA
13. Invented hoax because J6 Committee ratings were dropping
14. Laws against espionage are wrong
15. Documents are protected by Client-attorney Privilege 
16. Documents are protected by Executive Privilege
17. Not only were the FBI wrong in taking them - they better give them back
18. The sensitivity of the documents has expired.
19. Like President Nixon said, "if the president does it, then it is not illegal."
20. I don't believe in the classification system

image.thumb.png.b2a71fcb24c6831d20d0ffd9446ce31f.png

• Haha 9

So apparently they do view Trump as a flight risk:

Although I think there was no real issue anyway as I believe all international travel of ex presidents goes through the state department so that they can assure their security while abroad.

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

Multiple. Multiple, not expired. 

He might have had a regular passport and also a diplomatic passport. That's what I thought. When my brother was in the AF, he had both because some places they traveled to a diplomatic passport was necessary. This was years ago, but may still be true now.

The fact that they were confiscated doesn't sound too good for TFG, he's got to stay in the US unless he has other passports from other countries. Hope he's paid his lawyers, he's going to need them.

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

He might have had a regular passport and also a diplomatic passport. That's what I thought. When my brother was in the AF, he had both because some places they traveled to a diplomatic passport was necessary. This was years ago, but may still be true now.

The fact that they were confiscated doesn't sound too good for TFG, he's got to stay in the US unless he has other passports from other countries. Hope he's paid his lawyers, he's going to need them.

Well, we know he pays no one.  His fans are the accompaniment.  (And they ain't so bright.) 

• Haha 3