Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

Bernie Sanders Torches Manchin and Sinema for ‘Arrogance’ and ‘Acting Like Republicans’

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) appeared on All In with Chris Hayes Thursday night and put Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin (WV) and Kyrsten Sinema (AZ) on blast.

Because Manchin opposes the Build Back Better bill’s child tax credit extension, the legislation was shelved this week and will not pass the Senate in 2021, if ever. The tax credit was one of several provisions Manchin has objected to during months-long intra-party negotiations. Sinema, too, has been a thorn in the sides of her fellow Democrats by opposing certain measures in earlier iterations of the bill. Like Manchin, she opposes abolishing the filibuster, which requires a 60-vote threshold for beginning and ending debate on most bills.

Hayes asked Sanders what he thinks Manchin’s motives are.

“I guess there’s two ways to interpret it,” said Hayes. “One is, Joe Manchin is essentially acting in bad faith and kicking the can until it can die. And the other is, the fact he’s still talking, the fact he’s still engaging on details means that there’s an actual negotiation ongoing.”

The MSNBC host asked Sanders which interpretation best fits his understanding.

Sanders noted that there are 50 Republican senators “who are not prepared to do anything for the environment or working families.”

Then he turned his ire toward Manchin and – without naming her – Sinema, (but at this point it was clear who he was referring to).

You have 48 people in the Democratic caucus who are prepared, and a president of the United States prepared to think big. And you have two Democrats who, in my view, are kind of acting like Republicans. And to me, I respect other people’s points of view, but I do not respect the arrogance of any member of the senate who says, “You know what? I’m going to torpedo this entire bill, supported overwhelmingly by the American people…”

Click on the link for more

• Sad 1

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/586450-manchin-says-he-will-not-vote-for-build-back-better-this-is-a-no

Manchin also warned that rising inflation could “really harm a lot of Americans,” especially lower-income or impoverished Americans.“  So I think that’s where our attention needs to be directed toward immediately,” he said. 

Dear Senator Manchin.  You have said this for months.  You should know that as one of the only 535 legislative members in America, Americans are now waiting for your plan to tackle inflation.  Please provide a legislative framework for your concerns or let us know when. Gosh, the DC media never asks the good, logical follow up questions.

Also, I am treating his response as "negotiate with me a bit more."  Because he could go to $1.8T or $1 6T.  Of course the other issue is the Dems have been negotiating with him. 

• Like 2

The other point about his $national debt issue is that he supported a defense budget that will likely cost $9T over the next 10 years, double what BBB would cost.

Biden needs to do the whole debt forgiveness thing... good, stable governance alone doesn't win elections.  Besides, maybe this country could use more dramatic legislation.

Not sure if Sinema was on board either... but have fun in 2022 Democrats... 

36 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

at this point, after carefully following manchin's actual comments (not media takes) on these matters over the last year, i wish the same things  for that corrupt privileged pos that i wish for all trump supporters

I couldn't stand Trump, but my wallet liked him

6 minutes ago, DEASkins said:

I couldn't stand Trump, but my wallet liked him

why quote me just to add a vapid (as written) off-topic comment?

as a noob, if you're going to post in these topics please write posts in a way that keeps them directly attached to the topic and preferably adds something of meaning or humor...you seem to be able to do this in the stadium :) 

to try to tie your comment to mine, i'll ask if you think making the extra money was an acceptable tradeoff for how he governed as potus :) 

14 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

why quote me just to add a vapid (as written) off-topic comment?

as a noob, if you're going to post in these topics please write posts in a way that keeps them directly attached to the topic and preferably adds something of meaning or humor...you seem to be able to do this in the stadium :) 

to try to tie your comment to mine, i'll ask if you think making the extra money was an acceptable tradeoff for how he governed as potus :) 

Complicated topic to debate over. As with a lot things there is good and evil and often times we look for what supports our point of view/agenda instead of starting with the big picture in mind. 

In defense of my response to your quoted post, I saw an extreme statement by you wishing the same for Manchin as all POS Trump supporters and offered an alternative view. I didn't and still don't support Trump's antics or conduct but to answer your question, yes in the end I would trade good national policies coming from an ahole compared to incompetent policies coming from a sweet talking politician. If our country survives this century hopefully someday we will have both

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I don't know what holds him back, he should be kicking all kinds of ass for one of the poorest states in the country. 🤔

Machin thinks he’s a Democratic but in reality he’s more in tune with the gop.

He is doing his donors and the gop’s bidding.

Also, the fact is there’s a lot more Dems who oppose BBB. Now they won’t oppose it but they are glad Manchin and Sinema are gumming up the works.

What this means, all out warfare in the Democratic Party next year. The progressives will be challenging the non-progressives next year. The bad blood won’t be healed and the election will be brutal for the Dems.

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m guessing angry liberals pushed hard via the media so manchin hit them back with a “no” just to make their lives a little more difficult for the remainder of the year 

This is about right.  Fox News is where ****-talkers go to talk their **** and Manchin dropped by to flex a little bit.  I wouldn’t be shocked at all if a compromise BBB passes in 2022.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I don't know what holds him back, he should be kicking all kinds of ass for one of the poorest states in the country. 🤔

Hold back? He's calculating. 

He's automatically the most important Democrat right now. 

Which makes him the most powerful and allows him to draw big $$$.

If he says nothing and votes yes he's irrelevant.

@DEASkins  i already had figured all that, and more ;) 

and i support your first two sentences

with no sarcasm, thanks for making your views more transparent (with my help and nudging)...i knew you could

in general re: this forum---i don't know if you claim to be a 'long time lurker' here beyond your sign-up date, so if we presume you don't know the posters here through long time exposure to their views on various matters,  i'd suggest take some time to get to, just for your own benefit in engaging in productive discussion

i understand it of course, but i do reject your characterization of my position being extreme if it's made with the implication that it is unmerited and therefore 'extreme'

i'd argue that it's an 'extreme' comment that is a little :) hyperbolic and carefully worded re: forum rules and for my own reasons, yet is essentially allowable per validity since it's (however sadly/reluctantly...or not) merited by arguments that include values and principles  

i get that you'd disagree

i could go off on dems/the left all day too, and have, so i expect we'd find some agreement there on various policies

but many of the policies and consequences from trump and co. are worthy of very extreme non-partisan negative takes, let's say 'other than' the aforementioned economic gains you noted which were real, but mostly benefitting a few demographics that were already among the better-doing folks

i also find your view (a common one amongst the benefited groups) that such gains were/are or would be again, a fair trade-off is reprehensible (true but blunt, i know, but it's just that one view at this point)

and though it seems a blind spot with many who do it, i can tell you have the native intellect capable of getting that when someone says to non-trump/non-gop folks "i didn't like the guy but i liked the policies" it reads as a distinction without a meaningful difference even though there is some (fairly limited imv) room for an expanded explanation of the statement that can hold some water in some areas

but now let's get back more directly to the thread topic

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Reading between the lines, Manchin care more about donors than voters.  The BBB plan is polling favorably with a majority of the WV voters he claims he would have to explain things to.  Why no media pundits inform of this during his appearances boggles the mind.  Is he giving interviews to any outlets besides Fox?