Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

15 hours ago, Larry said:

Actually, I've been speculating for some time that Manchin actually has other members of Congress telling him, in private, that "hey, I've got problems with this thing, too.  But I don't dare say so in public, or my base will kill me.  But I sure am glad that you're willing to take the heat for obstructing it. 

It would explain things like why he refuses to make specific demands.  And why Biden isn't turning more wrath on him.  If he's actually simply the sock puppet for a larger group that has problems with the thing.  

Manchin wouldn't take all of this heat so the other Dems could hide, even if this is true, he's doing this for personal reasons and personal gain.

48 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Manchin wouldn't take all of this heat so the other Dems could hide, even if this is true, he's doing this for personal reasons and personal gain.

Joe and Kirsten are providing cover for the Dem senators that do agree with them. They won’t say anything publicly; nor would they vote against anything the Dems put up. In private, they are glad what Joe and Kirsten are doing. There’s also a portion of house members that live that Joe & Kirsten are doing what they are doing.

• Like 2

Biden's year two won't be about bipartisanship

President Biden made bipartisanship the backbone of his 2020 campaign, but with this year set to be dominated by the midterm elections, he is pivoting away from work with Republicans.  

The president, who has adopted a stronger tone with the GOP since the start of the year, said in no uncertain terms this week that the Republican Party had changed, even since he was vice president.  

It is a party that is unrecognizable to him, he said at a press conference earlier this week, drawing lines of division between the two parties.   

“I did not anticipate that there’d be such a stalwart effort to make sure that the most important thing was that President Biden didn’t get anything done,” Biden said during the news conference, also adding of the Obama years, “they weren’t nearly as obstructionist as they are now.”  

He cited a number of Republicans previously willing to work across party lines including the late Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) and “even, back in those days,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.).  

The tougher rhetoric makes sense in an election year where Democrats are in real danger of losing their majorities in both the House and the Senate. Biden and Democrats want to play up the contrast with the GOP as they try to beat back anemic poll numbers and make the case for Democrats to be in control of Congress.  

At the same time, it’s a notable break from the first year, when Biden sought to work across the aisle with Republicans. The effort led to the $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill that attracted 19 Republicans in the Senate.  

Republicans argue Biden’s first year in office has not been marked by bipartisanship given his calls to change the filibuster and his effort to pass the Build Back Better Act through budgetary rules that cut out the minority.  

“He came in here, he was going to be a uniter, and his policies, his rhetoric have been incredibly divisive, and what we’re seeing as a result of that is further division in the country,” Sen. John Thune (S.D.), the No. 2 Republican, said at a news conference on Thursday, accusing Biden of embracing policies too far to the left.

Partly because Republicans saw the infrastructure bill as making the Build Back Better Act more likely to pass, GOP leaders in the House opposed it despite the support from the 19 GOP senators. Only 13 House Republicans voted for the bill, and they came under harsh criticism from their party. 

The White House says Biden is still open to pursuing bipartisan compromise on some issues, like reforming the Electoral Count Act now that Democrats’ push to pass sweeping federal election reform bills fizzled.  

White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters Friday that officials have been “closely engaged” with bipartisan lawmakers exploring such reforms.  

Biden is also pushing for the House passage of a bipartisan bill to strengthen the U.S. semiconductor industry and make the U.S. more competitive, which has stalled in the lower chamber after passing the Senate last year. 

“Let’s get another historic piece of bipartisan legislation done,” Biden said at an event at the White House Friday with Ohio Sens. Rob Portman (R) and Sherrod Brown (D), calling for the passage of the CHIPS act “right away.” 

But that bill is generally under the radar, and that type of bipartisan cooperation even on lower-profile bills will be more challenging in an election year. 

“The President will never abandon efforts to bring Republicans along on his agenda - that is embedded in his political DNA,” said Democratic strategist Joel Payne. “What can and will change is waiting for Republicans to come along. I think the political realities and the limited political calendar mandate that he cannot afford to wait for Republicans going forward.”  

Click on the link for more

Biden announces plan to cut cancer deaths in half in 25 years

President Joe Biden on Wednesday vowed to slash the cancer death rate in half over the next 25 years, calling his goal "ambitious, but ... doable."

He announced the aggressive undertaking during remarks on reviving his so-called "cancer moonshot" effort.

"The goal is to cut the cancer death rate in half in the next 25 years," Biden said during a White House event Wednesday. "It's bold, it's ambitious, but it's completely doable.

"We can do this. We can end cancer as we know it."

Biden launched the Cancer Moonshot initiative in 2016 as vice president under President Barack Obama, not long after his son Beau died of brain cancer.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Preaching to the choir here but need to get it out - While republican's own a lot of the lack of significant legislation being passed, dems own as much or more. Too many factions, too many people not seeing the long picture. The progressive side wanting homeruns when you really need to start with singles and doubles (think infrastructure, a just under $2T deal was there to be had but it was not enough.) Fair enough that rebs probably balk but if you get your own party in lockstep, then it does not matter. 

This is where the so called moderates own it. First all they say is no, no, no - but never bring thier own plan foreword. This is where Biden has failed, get sinema and manchin in a room and let them know no one goes anywhere without a deal. If they refuse get very very very public about it. Tell the public, look what these two are stopping and hmmer it relentlessly! Take out massive ads in thier home states. Key on policy you know even Rep want and need. 

Last but not least, there are positives - massive GDP, low unemployment, high wages etc. But as said more than once, dems suck at messaging. Too passive on things that matter, too vocal on **** not as important. 

This does not end well from where I sit. 

I really feel like the progressives tried to come to the table the last time and work with the moderates and the moderates basically ****ed the entire party. I am having a hard time seeing it any other way. 

I don't have a problem with them fighting amongst themselves openly if they can agree to all come to the table in good faith and then make a deal. Again, the progressives showed they were willing to do that. But they were openly burned. I doubt they will do it again. At this point they have to fight each other and unfortunately its at our country's peril. Literally our only hope is that progressives play the republican game and literally pay moderates for votes, or they can shame Manchin and the other chick into voting for something good for the country.

Feel free to tell me where im wrong. Most of the above is based on emotion not logic so im sure I am misunderstanding something. 

• Thanks 1

Multiple responses to the SOTU address is nothing new.  We now live in a world where those responses are more accessible but I remember the major networks carrying Whitman's response to Clinton's SOTU before, I am sure Bernie was giving a progressive response to past Dems addresses too. 

While he needs to come out strong, Ukraine isn't what most Americans will pay attention to.

It's what he will do on the domestic side to combat the immediate pain: Inflation, Putting Covid to bed once and for all, and combating the effects the Russian invasion on the economy.