Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playoffs: Wild Card Round: TampaTom @ Team: Predict the Winner

88Comrade2000

7 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

If Washington wins the turnover battle, then they definitely have a shot.  We don't have a good enough offense to win unless we play mistake-free football.  

Tom Brady will make mistakes if he faces pressure.  That has been the case all season.  

Maybe.  If Tampa Bay becomes too aggressive on defense I think Smith is savvy enough to make them pay for it with a couple of deep throws.  

Their secondary can get beat, I'm praying we go after them.

I'm hoping our 2nd half defensive dominance continues against the Bucs...if we can somehow keep the game close at halftime we could have a shot at an upset win. During the 5-2 stretch at the end of the season, outside of the Panthers we kept opposing offenses to significantly lower point totals than they would normally have.

Here are the average points per game when those 7 teams were not playing the WFT, vs what our defense held them to during that stretch:

Normally      Against us

Bengals -     19.4               9.0

Cowboys -   26.9              16.0

Steelers -     26.2              17.0

49ers -         23.5              15.0

Seahawks -  29.3              20.0

Panthers -    22.0              20.0

Eagles -        21.6              14.0

Unfortunately the Bucs are averaging 30 points per game lol...Then again the Seahawks were averaging 29 ppg and we held them to 20 pts. Really hoping we can keep it close at halftime. Last year Brady and the Patriots only had a 12-7 halftime lead. That was during our 3-13 season with a fired coach and front office dysfunction and an undeniably mediocre D-coordinator and a coaching staff with seemingly zero ability to make halftime adjustments. So maybe we can keep it close again by halftime--unless of course we're leading at halftime, in which case I hope it's lopsided as a mf'er lol...

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm hoping our 2nd half defensive dominance continues against the Bucs...if we can somehow keep the game close at halftime we could have a shot at an upset win. During the 5-2 stretch at the end of the season, outside of the Panthers we kept opposing offenses to significantly lower point totals than they would normally have.

Here are the average points per game when those 7 teams were not playing the WFT, vs what our defense held them to during that stretch:

Normally      Against us

Hey Cali, great post. Also if you happen to have the time, the will, and the energy to do this task, I'd be very interested in you doing that same formula with one exception : just the 2nd half points allowed by our defense. You rightfully mentioned our 2nd half dominance in the beginning, but I'd love to see that chart you made, translated to 2nd half points, as opposed to the whole game. It would drop everyone's jaws, and give us more confidence about our chances against Brady and Brown. Because like you said, if we can just keep it somewhat close by halftime, then we have a really good chance.

3 hours ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

Their secondary can get beat, I'm praying we go after them.

Which... We wont except for two downfield passes (as evidenced during the Eagles game)

I really thought that McLauren was lined up as an H-Back and was Alex's checkdown option on our first TD play.

🤣

2nd half points allowed during the 5-2 stretch, vs the points those teams usually averaged in the 2nd half:

Normally      Against us

Bengals -       9.5               0.0

Cowboys -   13.3               3.0

Steelers -     13.1               3.0

49ers -         13.0               8.0

Seahawks -  15.9              7.0

Panthers -    10.2               0.0

Eagles -        12.1               0.0

We averaged giving up 3 points per game in the 2nd half during that 5-2 stretch. Only gave up 2 TDs.

1 hour ago, petey hodge said:

Which... We wont except for two downfield passes (as evidenced during the Eagles game)

I really thought that McLauren was lined up as an H-Back and was Alex's checkdown option on our first TD play.

🤣

I have a feeling Smith won't last this one.

55 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

2nd half points allowed during the 5-2 stretch, vs the points those teams usually averaged in the 2nd half:

Normally      Against us

We averaged giving up 3 points per game in the 2nd half during that 5-2 stretch. Only gave up 2 TDs.

We are the best 2nd half team in the league, and the only reason you see those TD against us is because of Haskins handing them points.

So I went and watched the replay of the Bucs against the Falcons, and I all I got to say is...

We better watch out... Brady and his WRs.  AB and the other guy... man they good.

If we can pull together another "perfect game" like we did against the Steelers.. anything's possible, but the Bucs pass the eye test... and the GOAT will do that for any team.

12 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

So I went and watched the replay of the Bucs against the Falcons, and I all I got to say is...

We better watch out... Brady and his WRs.  AB and the other guy... man they good.

If we can pull together another "perfect game" like we did against the Steelers.. anything's possible, but the Bucs pass the eye test... and the GOAT will do that for any team.

I won't crown Tampa world champs for these 3 reasons. Their O-line can be rolled over, their Secondary can be torched, and they have only beat 1 team with a winning record. It's possible to upset them, that's a fact. But only if our offense kicks into another gear.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Normally      Against us

Unfortunately the Bucs are averaging 30 points per game lol...Then again the Seahawks were averaging 29 ppg and we held them to 20 pts. Really hoping we can keep it close at halftime. Last year Brady and the Patriots only had a 12-7 halftime lead. That was during our 3-13 season with a fired coach and front office dysfunction and an undeniably mediocre D-coordinator and a coaching staff with seemingly zero ability to make halftime adjustments. So maybe we can keep it close again by halftime--unless of course we're leading at halftime, in which case I hope it's lopsided as a mf'er lol...

Keep in mind Wilson is a mobile QB, he made them pay with his legs.

PS. Technically Carolina only scored 14 on the D (muffed punt).

1 hour ago, petey hodge said:

Is Steven Sims out of your doghouse yet?

🥴

He's better when he drops it....  (it's a smokescreen... Double Bluff!)

AmusingDelayedHumpbackwhale-size_restric

Or he's trying to replicate this play, but it's not working out too well 💩

31 minutes ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

I won't crown Tampa world champs for these 3 reasons. Their O-line can be rolled over, their Secondary can be torched, and they have only beat 1 team with a winning record. It's possible to upset them, that's a fact. But only if our offense kicks into another gear.

That, I did not know...

I’ve been saying this all over the board, but if Alex is not 1000X healthier this Saturday night, we have ZERO chance.  I do believe our D can cause problems for the Bucs O.  But, they are very good with a lot of weapons, Godwin scares me the most, and even with a great effort I see them scoring 24 plus points.  Alex as immobile as he was Sunday night will not be able to “check down” to that many points.  Here’s to Ron having the stones to play the unproven QB, but at least the kid can move if problems break down in protection.  TH will also throw the ball more than 8 yards down the field.  As terrible as the Iggles secondary is, we did not test them deep once, I believe it’s because without the ability to push off his leg, Alex simply cannot throw it deep.  

TB - 24 

WFT - 10

14 hours ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

Lmao, I hate to say it but it can happen :(      If our boys happen to knock them out, I will not doubt them the rest of the way. But I think Smith is too beat up to beat them. 

Bro, I would love nothing more than to be wrong and have everyone rub it in my face.

Smith's condition really concerns me as it has echoes of Brunell in 2005.  Funny that we won the first round based on our defense against Tampa Bay, but we couldn't overcome Brunell (and our offensive line) being a gimpazoid (clinical term).

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Bro, I would love nothing more than to be wrong and have everyone rub it in my face.

Smith's condition really concerns me as it has echoes of Brunell in 2005.  Funny that we won the first round based on our defense against Tampa Bay, but we couldn't overcome Brunell (and our offensive line) being a gimpazoid (clinical term).

I remember that game didn’t you guys win?

11 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Normally      Against us

To take it a step further, during the 5-2 stretch, we held our opponents to an average of 9.4 fewer points in the 2nd half than what they usually scored the rest of the season. 

If we extrapolate that to this game with the Bucs, in which they average 15.4 points in the 2nd half, we should hold them to under 7 points.  

If we are able to go into the half, at say a 13-10 or maybe a 17-10 ballgame, I would feel very good with our chances of shutting them down with our D, and hopefully generating enough points on O to win a tight one.  

Archived