Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

11 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Eli Manning really?

Heinicke has been an absolute gem when factoring in expectations and circumstances, but lets pump the breaks. The most glaring issue the team must currently is we've scored over 20 points just twice in the last seven games, and that's just not going to be good enough to fulfill all this wide eyed optimism that he's anything more than a high end backup, which in and of itself is something we should be thrilled with. 

Yeah, I don’t see the Eli comparison (even though I know it’s more about stats than style obviously).  Eli had some big years.

I agree the offense needs to put up more points, but I think it’s more fair to look at the performance since the bye week as we changed offensive style and our D has stepped up to closer to the quality we expected.  So, 2 of 4 games scoring 20+.  Really, it should probably have been 3/4 if we had a kicker against Seattle - we should have kicked the chip shot on 4th and goal from the 3 to go up by 11.  Then again, we’d have only barely met that 20 point threshold if that had been the case.  

I can’t agree with your “wide eyed optimism” statement though.  At this point, I think TH has shown he’s capable of being more than a backup - for the season, I think he’s at the back end of the middle tier of qbs, and probably closer to solidly in the middle of that tier over the past 4 games.  I agree to a point though - I think there’s a pretty decent chance that he’ll be ‘just’ a backup after this year.  I only say that because we might land a rookie, I sense that TH is not as good of a practice qb, and if he were to move teams at some point, I have trouble seeing him being handed the reins elsewhere (Turner has trust/faith in him, he’s comfortable in this system, and the aforementioned practice play).  I could be wrong though, and to be clear, my money is on him starting next year.  

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I don’t see the Eli comparison (even though I know it’s more about stats than style obviously).  Eli had some big years.

I agree the offense needs to put up more points, but I think it’s more fair to look at the performance since the bye week as we changed offensive style and our D has stepped up to closer to the quality we expected.  So, 2 of 4 games scoring 20+.  Really, it should probably have been 3/4 if we had a kicker against Seattle - we should have kicked the chip shot on 4th and goal from the 3 to go up by 11.  Then again, we’d have only barely met that 20 point threshold if that had been the case.  

I can’t agree with your “wide eyed optimism” statement though.  At this point, I think TH has shown he’s capable of being more than a backup - for the season, I think he’s at the back end of the middle tier of qbs, and probably closer to solidly in the middle of that tier over the past 4 games.  I agree to a point though - I think there’s a pretty decent chance that he’ll be ‘just’ a backup after this year.  I only say that because we might land a rookie, I sense that TH is not as good of a practice qb, and if he were to move teams at some point, I have trouble seeing him being handed the reins elsewhere (Turner has trust/faith in him, he’s comfortable in this system, and the aforementioned practice play).  I could be wrong though, and to be clear, my money is on him starting next year.  

You think we’re going to land a rookie if we’re picking around 20 and think that the quarterback available there will be a bigger asset to the franchise’s future than other options that could be available?

I don’t. Which is why I ask.

38 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Just a heads up. Listen to the John Keim Podcast if you want to hear Theismann talk about Heinicke. He talks about the comparison (similarity) between himself and Heinicke, as well as conversations they had in the offseason and Heinicke loving football. Its nice. 

I was thinking about that Sunday night. We tend to elevate our SB QBs, but none of them were "great". 

There are a ton of similarities between 82 and this year. It's pretty cool. Run smash mouth and the defense makes plays.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/brett-favre-fan-washington-football-team-qb-taylor-heinicke

FOOTBALL Brett Favre is a fan of Washington QB Taylor Heinicke

Like many who follow the NFL, Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre had not heard of Washington's starting quarterback leading up to the NFC Wild Card game last season. 

But now after Taylor Heinicke has turned that memorable performance vs. the eventual Super Bowl champs into making the most out of his chance this season and riding high on a four-game winning streak, Favre is certainly well aware of him now.

"You know I never heard of you until the Buccaneer playoff game last year and became a fan. Scrappy man, I'll tell you," Favre told Heinicke on Bruce Murray's Sirius XM NFL Blitz on Tuesday. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You think we’re going to land a rookie if we’re picking around 20 and think that the quarterback available there will be a bigger asset to the franchise’s future than other options that could be available?

I don’t. Which is why I ask.

Honestly, I have no clue.  Just playing the odds, no - any qb we draft is less likely to help the team than sticking with Heinicke and selecting a player at a different position.

Frankly, I wasn’t sure why you asked me the question since I didn’t recall saying anything to that affect.  Reading my post again though, I’m guessing you question the “decent chance” comment?  I’ll try to clarify:  I do think there’s a decent chance they take a qb in the first depending on how the draft shakes out.  However, I think with each passing week it’s looking more likely they don’t take one in the 1st (ie. I think the chances are already greater that they don’t draft one).

IMO, there are 3 things that I/we just can’t possibly know in terms of the staff’s decision-making - 1) do they feel Heinicke’s arm strength is limiting the play calling/scheme?  2) is there a qb in the draft that they really like/love that will be available when it’s their turn to pick?  3) will there be another prospect available that they think will make a big impact on the team (enough to outweigh any need they may feel to target a qb)?

Given how the past several games have gone, and the growth they’ve seen from Heinicke (in the face of a lot of adversity) I don’t think they’ll want to trade significant resources to move up for a qb.  

If a qb they like/love is there, they may decide that they can improve the team enough via FA and the rest of the draft that they can afford to take one and sit him behind TH.

I do wonder if job security will play into their decision (I tend to doubt it?).  If they fall short of the playoffs this year, Ron may feel that having “the qb of the future” (whether that’s true or not) developing behind TH buys him a bit more time.  Or maybe Snyder tells Ron not to worry about job security - just do whatever he thinks is best.

It’s going to be fascinating to see how this all plays out.  Do we make the playoffs?  Do we advance?  Do we draft a qb early or one after the 1st?  Do we have a qb competition in camp?  Does Heinicke improve?  Regardless, I’m excited like I haven’t been in some time.

29 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Honestly, I have no clue.  Just playing the odds, no - any qb we draft is less likely to help the team than sticking with Heinicke and selecting a player at a different position.

Frankly, I wasn’t sure why you asked me the question since I didn’t recall saying anything to that affect.  Reading my post again though, I’m guessing you question the “decent chance” comment?  I’ll try to clarify:  I do think there’s a decent chance they take a qb in the first depending on how the draft shakes out.  However, I think with each passing week it’s looking more likely they don’t take one in the 1st (ie. I think the chances are already greater that they don’t draft one).

IMO, there are 3 things that I/we just can’t possibly know in terms of the staff’s decision-making - 1) do they feel Heinicke’s arm strength is limiting the play calling/scheme?  2) is there a qb in the draft that they really like/love that will be available when it’s their turn to pick?  3) will there be another prospect available that they think will make a big impact on the team (enough to outweigh any need they may feel to target a qb)?

Given how the past several games have gone, and the growth they’ve seen from Heinicke (in the face of a lot of adversity) I don’t think they’ll want to trade significant resources to move up for a qb.  

If a qb they like/love is there, they may decide that they can improve the team enough via FA and the rest of the draft that they can afford to take one and sit him behind TH.

I do wonder if job security will play into their decision (I tend to doubt it?).  If they fall short of the playoffs this year, Ron may feel that having “the qb of the future” (whether that’s true or not) developing behind TH buys him a bit more time.  Or maybe Snyder tells Ron not to worry about job security - just do whatever he thinks is best.

It’s going to be fascinating to see how this all plays out.  Do we make the playoffs?  Do we advance?  Do we draft a qb early or one after the 1st?  Do we have a qb competition in camp?  Does Heinicke improve?  Regardless, I’m excited like I haven’t been in some time.

The part where you said we might land a rookie. If we do it wouldn’t be an early one IF we’re at 20ish UNLESS someone drops. I also wanted your thoughts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Anyone remember what their first post was about Heinicke, what they said/felt/whatever about him after he first joined the team (or just as good, even before joined the team)?...Just curious.

I can't quite recall, but I'm sure most comments were of the "Who?" variety when it was announced that he'd be starting the playoff game.  I remember only watching the playoff game out of habit, with zero enthusiasm to make it competitive, much less win.  Then a few scrambles later, like 'woah' this is interesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Anyone remember what their first post was about Heinicke, what they said/felt/whatever about him after he first joined the team (or just as good, even before joined the team)?...Just curious.

I remember watching the game against the panthers last year, and watching him lead the team down the field for a TD after haskins clearly couldn’t....i was like “WOW! This guy is clearly better than haskins!” 

pretty cool how far we’ve come since then 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I can't quite recall, but I'm sure most comments were of the "Who?" variety when it was announced that he'd be starting the playoff game.  I remember only watching the playoff game out of habit, with zero enthusiasm to make it competitive, much less win.  Then a few scrambles later, like 'woah' this is interesting.

I didn't say "Who?" but thought it lol...then went to youtube to see if any highlight videos for Heinicke were there. I watched one of them and--in relation to watching Dwayne "**** it, I'm gonna jump when I throw" Haskins and his faulty mechanics at the time--thought "He at least looks like he's competent." This was right around the time Haskins broke COVID protocols I think, had that stripper party or whatever with no mask, etc, etc...and people were asking why he wasn't being benched, with conventional wisdom being we needed him to make the playoffs--which baffled me lol...so I said I'd be more optimistic with Heinicke starting.

29 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't think I really said much before I watched him play. I saw something about the signing but to me it was mostly just a "shrug" thing. They went out and found a rando emergency guy because they literally had nobody in the depth chart. Didn't seem like much of anything to me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I didn't say "Who?" but thought it lol...then went to youtube to see if any highlight videos for Heinicke were there. I watched one of them and--in relation to watching Dwayne "**** it, I'm gonna jump when I throw" Haskins and his faulty mechanics at the time--thought "He at least looks like he's competent." This was right around the time Haskins broke COVID protocols I think, had that stripper party or whatever with no mask, etc, etc...and people were asking why he wasn't being benched, with conventional wisdom being we needed him to make the playoffs--which baffled me lol...so I said I'd be more optimistic with Heinicke starting.

I’m with you on all that.  The most side-eyed I’ve been towards Ron was him hanging on to Haskins after that stripper debacle under the guise he was needed for the playoff push.  So yeah, even though I didn’t know anything about Taylor, he added more interest and intrigue than rolling with Haskins.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The part where you said we might land a rookie. If we do it wouldn’t be an early one IF we’re at 20ish UNLESS someone drops. I also wanted your thoughts.

Gotcha.  Frankly, I don’t follow college ball much, but parsing what I’ve read, it seems to me that “experts” are all over the place in terms of how the qbs will go in the draft.  So it seems at least possible that a guy the staff really likes will be there when we pick.  Of course, that’s separate from it being a good idea to draft that guy.

Edit: maybe worth noting (as you well know) that we only have TH signed next year, so that could add some impetus to nabbing a qb that ‘falls’ to our 1st round pick.  Kind of a random point tied to that - drafting Davis showed a willingness to go for potential over ‘plug and play’.  So I wonder if they’d consider a guy like Willis or if Davis’ development time pushes them towards a more pro ready prospect (qb or otherwise).

Edited by skinny21

11 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

He's got leadership qualities...you don't teach those things.  That's who he is. ~Ron Rivera

Everyone talks about intangibles.  The greatest of those for a QB, the leader of your team that everyone depends on for success, is leadership.  KDawg and I have coached the game for many years.  I know I've coached for over 35 years myself.  Between us it may be in the 70s.  You don't really coach leadership.  You can influence a QB's attitude with positive and negative behavior but ultimately that player's true character will always come out when times get tough.  

We both recognize Heinicke's leadership abilities.  He's authentic.  Taylor is being Taylor Heinicke.  What you see is what you get.  Some of you stat geeks may get caught up in height, weight, speed, and arm velocity but the players on the WFT only care about results and effort.  They know that TH is going to lay it on the line for every single play.  They love him because he is a fierce competitor just as most of them are. 

I remember listening to Joe Gibbs giving a motivational speech at a business meeting I attended.  This quote stood out most.  If your people fear you, they will do enough to keep out of trouble.  If they love you?  They will run thru brick walls for you!  That's the kind of affection that the WFT players and staff have for Heinicke.  They love the kid.  He's not perfect.  But He has a passion and a love for the game that is infectious.  

I'm sure that like me, KDawg has seen his share of QBs who are talented but self-centered jerks.  All they care about is themselves.  Those kinds of leaders rarely lead a team to a championship.   Which is what it's all about anyway!  It's not about how many points you can score or how fancy your offense is.  Find a way to win!  No matter what it takes.  Be resilient.  Those piss poor leaders always point the finger elsewhere when trouble comes.  A leader puts it all on his shoulders and takes responsibility.  That's Heinicke.  You can only guess if you'll find that from a college QB.  You hope, but you don't know until you see that kid struggle vs NFL defenses and schemes.  

Men don't follow titles.  They follow courage.  ~Braveheart

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I remember that I wasn't excited about him but after watching the Denver debacle on national TV with a WR playing QB and looking horrible, I thought it couldn't be a problem. Then after the Seattle game I was not all in but like this guy is fun to watch at least. But leading up to the Tampa game, Galdi had the ODU coach on his show and the guy kept calling him a 5 read QB and that was kinda exciting. But I'm always one to get excited about nonames and that's what I was doing. I was saying how he was going to look good and not embarrass us. Then come the offseason I was all in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/brett-favre-fan-washington-football-team-qb-taylor-heinicke

FOOTBALL Brett Favre is a fan of Washington QB Taylor Heinicke

Like many who follow the NFL, Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre had not heard of Washington's starting quarterback leading up to the NFC Wild Card game last season. 

But now after Taylor Heinicke has turned that memorable performance vs. the eventual Super Bowl champs into making the most out of his chance this season and riding high on a four-game winning streak, Favre is certainly well aware of him now.

"You know I never heard of you until the Buccaneer playoff game last year and became a fan. Scrappy man, I'll tell you," Favre told Heinicke on Bruce Murray's Sirius XM NFL Blitz on Tuesday. 

r926427_2_576x324_16-9.jpg&w=570&h=321&f

Imagine, in the midst of leading your team on a 4 game winning streak, your childhood hero calls in to a radio show you're on to tell you that he's a fan of YOURS... 

Heinicke was signed to the WFT practice squad one year ago today.  It has been a heady ride for him these last 365 days.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I remember my reaction and the general mood here. Basically, we were watching Haskins and Alex Smith languish and I and others would post pictures of Heineken beer bottles and say "put in Heineken, there's no way he can be worse than this ****!" 😂 

After the Carolina game, I was like oh **** this dude can play. But before Carolina we were calling for him to play not because we knew anything about him, but because the QB situation was so awful.

• Like 2