Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

Speaking of which, it’s interesting to think back to the negatives that have been associated with TH and how things have evolved.

His arm isn’t strong enough for the NFL

He’s a backup at best

He’s injury prone

He sails balls all the time

He consistently makes bad decisions

Defenses have figured him out

He’s innacurate 

He’s always putting his pass catchers in harms way

He’s a low end starter

(Not to mention turnover issues, red zone woes, 3rd down percentage, etc)

And now it’s  - if he can play like he has the past 2 games (along with variations of “lead us to the playoffs” or “win a playoff game”), he deserves a shot to be the starter next year.  

My problem with this view is 1) it’s a team sport and we’re starting off in a major hole, and 2) I doubt any qb could go the next 7 games without a turnover and (if my math is right) be top 3 in the league in 3rd down % and scoring.

Full disclosure - I don’t think TH is elite (or even a top 10 qb) and I still want to try to land an elite qb, but… he’s shown tremendous growth and I’m looking forward to seeing how things go with him over the rest of the season and into next year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I wonder if winning a playoff game would be enough for people to consider hinike an option starter going foward, waiting till the 3-5th round to take a qb?

also, I see us splitting the rest of the season and missing the playoffs 

Even if we wanted to draft a QB high in the draft, also remember the flip side is there has to be a QB that is worthy of that high of a pick, when our turn comes around.

And with next year's crop of QB's not looking too hot, it's looking like a real possibility there won't be a "worthy" one there when we pick high in the draft.

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Speaking of which, it’s interesting to think back to the negatives that have been associated with TH and how things have evolved.

He’s injury prone

He's about to start 10 games in a row, and without any injury.

Last time that happened was 3 years ago, with Alex Smith just barely accompiishing that, before his gruesome injury.

There's a good chance he goes beyond the 10 game streak, and we'd have to go back to Kirk, to find the last QB who started 11 in a row.

He seems to be knocking things off that list, one by one.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, transaction trends really has Heinicke ascending.  Stafford is my QB now but if Heinicke can play well today I may stash him just in case.  Stafford is either playing hurt or feeling the pressure. He cost the Rams big time last night.  I like Sean McVay and Lefleur.  Lefleur is in a better spot.  If the Rams gamble (mortgaging their future for a SuperBowl) doesn't pay off they could be bad for a while.  They're not a scary team right now without Robert Woods.  If the WFT can get some skills players back on offense, no team in the NFC scares me.  

YahooTransactiontrends.PNG

18 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Um, we need to draft other priorities... like Defensive End?

I am not advocating drafting a QB high, it's the opposite. I'm just saying there's yet another potentially huge reason not to, for anyone who says that we should : the availability of one that is worthy of the pick, based on this draft class' quality, and the unknown factor of who does, and does not, fall to us.

And I definitely don't see us trading up for any of those QB's.

I'm taking a LB and a CB with the highest picks.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I am not advocating drafting a QB high, it's the opposite. I'm just saying there's yet another potentially huge reason not to, for anyone who says that we should : the availability of one that is worthy of the pick, based on this draft class' quality, and the unknown factor of who does, and does not, fall to us.

I'm taking a LB and a CB with the highest picks.

Or a Safety to pair with Kam Curl.  That would be #1 on my shopping list. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm not advocating drafting a QB high, I'm just saying there's yet another potentially huge reason not to, for anyone who says that we should : the availability of one that is worthy of the pick, based on the draft class quality, and the unknown factor of who does, and does not, fall to us.

I'm taking a LB or CB with the highest picks.

Kyle Shanahan guide to over drafting is now available for download.

download.button.png

• Haha 2

Steve Young just said something that make a whole lot of sense. He said Taylor isn’t gonna get worse he can only get better. Taylor may never have the physical attributes of a Josh Allen but give him the offseason and some of his limitations could get better. 

If someone else comes along that will be the man great bring him in. Taylor’s contract is cheap enough for him to stick around. 

• Like 3

Rivera was asked what he'll be looking for, in his franchise quarterback.

The answer - Consistency.

And that also happens to be one of the best words to describe Heinicke.

Over the entire stretch of his starts, you don't see him taking huge dips into deep slumps.

Mistakes here and there, like anyone does, but not for stretches of time.

He's been solid overall

• Like 2

I still don't think Taylor is "the" guy, but I am willing to say he has earned the right to start in the meantime, whether it is drafting the future QB or bringing in a bonafied no-doubt veteran that still has gas left in the tank.  I know earlier in the game they were talking about Russell Wilson potentially exiting Seattle, not sure his contract situation or what it would take, but I'd give him a look if the opportunity was there.