Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

Forget Mitch Trubisky, Marcus Mariota, Matt Ryan or even re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Washington Football Team has its veteran quarterback for 2022 – Taylor Heinicke.

Oh, the team may still look for a first-round passer next spring. Owner Dan Snyder needs to sell tickets after the team's recent admission that 52,000 attendance figures are real numbers versus persistent propaganda of the Snyder era. The owner is the owner and after 22 years he's not changing, despite busts in quarterbacks Patrick Ramsey, Robert Griffin III and Dwayne Haskins.

Washington needs a veteran passer next season and Heinicke has earned the right to compete for the starting job, even with a high-priced rookie probable. Washington won't find another veteran league-wide who will fare any better than Heinicke has done.

Spend free agent money on an offensive lineman or linebacker. Invest an early draft pick on a running back. With the team now drafting 10th overall at 4-6 and a few more wins still possible this season, Washington won't be in position to take an elite passer, so fix other trouble spots. Oh, the team can still find a quarterback in the middle rounds, but can't market that player as effectively. Snyder will demand a quarterback, but Heinicke's recent play is good enough not to panic at the position.

Heinicke has a 91.4 rating with 15 touchdowns, 9 interceptions and 2,390 yards. That's as solid as anyone not named Rodgers, Brady, Murray, Mahomes or Cousins. It's certainly better than middling journeymen that fill most rosters.

The key is Washington offensive coordinator Scott Turner focusing more on how to use the offense around Heinicke rather than making the passer some game manager. Heinicke is a baller who's never going to be a textbook passer with a big arm. But, he's steadily improving and should do more so once getting second looks at teams.

Watch Heinicke's eyes. See him finding third reads. Sometimes it's a problem by taking sacks while waiting for receivers. Heinicke needs to learn to throw the ball away rather than get sacked. That he threw side-armed for two completions is something that can't be taught. It's the competitor in him.

Victories over Tampa Bay and Carolina were quality efforts. Heinicke threw three pinpoint touchdown passes against Carolina that he wouldn't have made in September. Heinicke posted a 141.3 rating versus Carolina and 110.4 against Tampa Bay. Aside from bad efforts against New Orleans and Denver, Heinicke has been respectable or better each week. Certainly, better than expected.

The best part of Heinicke is his belief that there's no game he can't win, no play he can't make. It's not arrogance that gets him in trouble, but confidence in comebacks.

Washington should show the same confidence come the offseason. Maybe Heinicke isn't a franchise passer, but then it's still early. There are plenty of teams that would swap quarterbacks with Washington right now. For once, Snyder should realize the best passer is the one currently in uniform rather than discard Brad Johnson and Kirk Cousins for someone better who has never come.

• Like 2

TH is trending up. Hopefully he keeps on going up. 

Rank

Taylor Heinicke

Washington Football Team · Year 4

2021 stats: 10 games | 66.2 pct | 2,390 pass yds | 7.3 ypa | 15 pass TD | 9 INT | 276 rush yds | 1 rush TD | 5 fumbles

Sunday was the best game of Heinicke's career. One week after helping to slay Tom Brady, Heinicke was magical on third and fourth down all afternoon. He threw from wild arm angles, fit passes into small windows and was wise enough to let Terry McLaurin be the bad man that he is. I didn't think Heinicke had a two-game stretch like this in him, saving a season that had gone sideways.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-week-12-2021-season-rankings

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It makes sense, not just because we play them next, but some people have called Heinicke a "poor man's Russell Wilson".

So, how meaningful would it be, to beat the guy you're compared to in that manner

In Heinicke's mind, during the course of his future career, he probably wants to erase "poor man" from every comparison about him.

I'm not saying that beating Wilson puts him on the same level, I'm just talking about Heinicke's mentality to do everything he can to prove the naysayers wrong.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, mojo said:

I hope all the Heinicke bashers watching the Saints game tonight w Trevor Siemien at QB added Taylor into their Thanksgiving day prayers giving thanks before eating.

Actually, I did. And the cowboys fans in the room did not appreciate it. (I don’t claim them)

But, I mean, don’t ask me to do grace. You know my heart. 

• Like 3

Sometimes, at practice, Rivera leans into the huddle to listen to Heinicke. Rivera said he has been around veterans who can steady a team, such as Philip Rivers and Alex Smith, and he wants to find someone with the same presence. Even though Heinicke has played like one of the league’s best quarterbacks the past two weeks, Rivera wants consistency. He pointed out the team was inconsistent last year until Smith stepped in.

This season, after Washington stumbled to a 2-2 start, its next six games could be grouped into pairs: ugly losses (New Orleans, Kansas City), incomplete efforts (Green Bay, Denver) and strong performances (Tampa Bay, Carolina).

“Now we have a chance to see if we can get consistent under Taylor,” Rivera said. “Again, we’re not making any decisions [on the franchise quarterback] till everything’s done this year, till we got a chance to really go back and vet what we saw from this past season. [We’ve got to] look at what’s available coming out for agency, look at what’s in the draft. We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

In some ways, Seattle, struggling at 3-7, presents a favorable matchup for Heinicke. In others, it could be a challenge: The defense, while mediocre overall, is stout against the run. If Seattle can slow Washington on the ground, if it can disrupt Heinicke’s third- and fourth-down wizardry, it may be able to derail the clock-controlling formula Washington has won with the past two weeks — and force Heinicke to prove he can win another way.

Earl Williams, Heinicke’s longtime skills trainer who was in Charlotte for Washington’s win over the Panthers, believes the quarterback will adapt if necessary. Williams said Carolina was the best game of Heinicke’s career because of his decision-making. He acknowledged the wins over the Atlanta Falcons and the New York Giants were more dramatic, but in terms of craftsmanship, Heinicke was at his best Sunday, looking downfield, reading his progressions, taking what was given.

Williams pointed to the fourth-and-six conversion just before halftime. It got less attention than the scramble Heinicke made to convert a late fourth-and-three pass to tight end John Bates, but it was just as important because of what it showed. On the play, wide receiver DeAndre Carter ran a slant out of a bunch right alignment, and Williams said Heinicke saw the cornerback in man-to-man coverage on Carter step the wrong way, meaning Carter would be open across the middle.

“He was patient, let [Carter] separate, first down,” Williams said. “Sometimes, even when he makes great throws, meaning he completes ’em, they’re the wrong ones. [He] and I talk about those, too, but there wasn’t too much of those [Sunday].”

Occasionally, Heinicke’s technique broke down, too. Late in the fourth quarter, as Heinicke took a deep drop, he saw wide receiver Terry McLaurin open in the end zone. With the score tied, it was an opportunity for Heinicke to give Washington a commanding lead. But Williams said Heinicke opened his shoulders too much and misfired left, overthrowing McLaurin and leaving the door open for Carolina.

In a way, the little flaw in the impressive game represents what Heinicke must do next. He must try to iron out each wrinkle in hopes of becoming more consistent. Because while he can’t control whom Rivera will choose as the franchise quarterback moving forward, he can submit a strong résumé.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/11/25/taylor-heinicke-washington-football-franchise-qb/?utm_campaign=wp_sports&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure us "haters" are actually the most hopeful about Heinicke fwiw. 

Nah, no you’re not lol…unless you’re saying the Heinicke “lovers” aren’t hopeful since you feel they’re already convinced. So by default the “haters” are the most hopeful because they’re the only ones who are still at the hoping stage.

My view is that—outside of like 4 people who are already convinced Heinicke is destined to fail as a long-term starter or is destined to become an All-Pro—everyone is in the “hopeful” camp. Some enjoy focusing on the positives they see in his play, while some enjoy the more analytical approach and discuss what needs improvement. Some enjoy both. But all y’all mf’ers are equally hopeful lol 👍

• Like 2

In a matter of months, he's gone from absolutely nothing, to a backup NFL QB, all the way to about the 20th best QB in the entire universe.

With that kind of trajectory, and continued progression and work, where in the Top 10 will he be a year or 2 from now ?

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Almost all the holes in Heinickes game are fixable. Late throws, high or behind off center throws, long balls, keying receivers. 

Pretty sure us "haters" are actually the most hopeful about Heinicke fwiw. 

All but one. He needs 20% more arm. I'm not sure if that's even right, but his arm sometimes still fails him. On the other hand, there's got to be a way to improve that through technique or the weight room. I mean players do get stronger. Tom Brady's arm at his current age of 86 is better than his arm through his first three years in the league.

But the one huge hole in Heinike's game that everyone was worried about that no one talks about anymore is durability. Previous to the season, most were sure that Heinike couldn't survive as a starter for more than a handful of games. Now, I don't know if he has proven that he can be an iron man, but he's taken his share of hard hits and sacks. He's also shown football intelligence in knowing when and how to slide and get out of danger in a way that RGIII, Haskins, or a multitude of other QBs around here didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Burgold said:

All but one. He needs 20% more arm. I'm not sure if that's even right, but his arm sometimes still fails him.

Usually when a QB has too weak of an arm, it results in symptoms like, him throwing INT's.

Or a poor completion percentage. Or a lot of checkdowns.

But those are not a problem for him.

He throws darts in tight places. Can throw some decent long balls. He has a good completion pctg, and doesn't throw a lot of picks.

So his "weak arm" seems to be very overstated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Nah, no you’re not lol…unless you’re saying the Heinicke “lovers” aren’t hopeful since you feel they’re already convinced. So by default the “haters” are the most hopeful because they’re the only ones who are still at the hoping stage.

My view is that—outside of like 4 people who are already convinced Heinicke is destined to fail as a long-term starter or is destined to become an All-Pro—everyone is in the “hopeful” camp. Some enjoy focusing on the positives they see in his play, while some enjoy the more analytical approach and discuss what needs improvement. Some enjoy both. But all y’all mf’ers are equally hopeful lol 👍

32 minutes ago, Burgold said:

All but one. He needs 20% more arm. I'm not sure if that's even right, but his arm sometimes still fails him. On the other hand, there's got to be a way to improve that through technique or the weight room. I mean players do get stronger. Tom Brady's arm at his current age of 86 is better than his arm through his first three years in the league.

But the one huge hole in Heinike's game that everyone was worried about that no one talks about anymore is durability. Previous to the season, most were sure that Heinike couldn't survive as a starter for more than a handful of games. Now, I don't know if he has proven that he can be an iron man, but he's taken his share of hard hits and sacks. He's also shown football intelligence in knowing when and how to slide and get out of danger in a way that RGIII, Haskins, or a multitude of other QBs around here didn't.

He'll never have the arm strength to be hitting guys 40 yards down the field for sure, but some of those 20 yarders he could start hitting more frequently if he worked on his technique.

The high side of him being paired with Turner, is that this offense isn't built on 40 yarders. It's a quick hit offense that lets the players make plays after the catch. So if he can routinely stop waiting until the last second to pass and starts hitting guys in stride, like the Carolina game, we;ll get those big plays anyway.

• Haha 1