Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

New name suggestion: The Washington Divers

And Tampa last year.

Eh. The team didn’t prepare for him. It’s easier to look good when the gameplan is for a different QB. These next few weeks will tell us exactly who he is.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Eh. The team didn’t prepare for him. It’s easier to look good when the gameplan is for a different QB. These next few weeks will tell us exactly who he is.

I think his play this season shows that his game against Tampa was not simply because they didn't plan for him. That's lazy analysis.

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m enthralled by the Heinie experience like everyone else but keep in mind his magic has come against Atlanta and the Giants. 

Yeah, the whole Heinicke situation is fascinating.  I had the same thought as you - two good games vs bad teams - but we also have to consider he had a nice game against TB last year.  On top of that, he hasn’t had the luxury of a defense getting him the ball back, limiting scoring, or giving him short fields.  He also hasn’t really had much time to build chemistry with his pass catchers.

I’ll be honest, I’m nervous every time he takes the field.  Yet he’s played at a high level and shown so many traits you want in your qb - comeback drives, grit, moxie, short memory, cycling through reads, poise, pocket presence and so on.  And he’s clearly still figuring out how to play.  I mean, he mentions the need to protect himself, and suddenly he’s sliding, diving, getting out of bounds.  Turner says it’s ok to run if the play isn’t there and next game he’s picking up chunks of yards with his legs repeatedly.  Point being, he still has a good deal of room to grow, and signs point to him doing so.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Like I said, these next few weeks will be telling.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about Heinicke's "talent" for making things happen when things need to happen. Almost like a "home run" running back being able to score from any place on the field...they can go 12 carries for 36 yards, and then peel off an 85 yard TD. I kind of view Heinicke as the QB equivalent of that. Even if some of his passes are floaters or he doesn't see an open WR, he will also pull a play or drive out of his ass that leaves you shaking your head either because you can't believe a wobbly, ill-advised pass was completed or you can't believe how Aaron Rodgers-like perfect a throw was lol...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I don't really get how "it" somehow causes DBs to drop interceptions.

Anyway, I think I remember the 3 dropped INTs and IIRC all 3 weren't so much him forcing something that wasn't there but were more combinations of him not throwing soon enough and not having enough arm strength to get the ball there after waiting until the guy was more open.

Throwing sooner and with more anticipation can come with more experience so that's not a huge deal. But without the arm strength to get it there late, he absolutely has to get his anticipation to tip top shape or those are eventually going to change from dropped INTs into real INTs. 

The way you over analyze TH comes across as if he's the only thing holding this team back.  When the honest truth is that he's the only reason most of us aren't changing channels during the game!  Aside from Carter's TD, TH is literally involved in virtually every other highlight we've seen this year.  He's not the reason the defense is God awful and our kicker needs his leg calibrated.  If not for TH, the WFT is 0 - 4 with no hope for the rest of the season and picking first in a draft year where the crop of QBs seems to be very average.  

Newsflash.  We're not stupid.  We know he doesn't fit your idea of what a franchise QB looks like.  We don't care!  We're enjoying the ride while it lasts.  There haven't been many rides to enjoy since Gibbs 1.0.  

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I was at the game and had a great view of this play. He threw right at us and the TD was right in front of us. Great play by him to keep the play alive and then find JD. Throwing back across the field is not typically a good plan but he had a good view of the field. It was a pretty safe throw. 

Overall, Taylor did a great job. Yes, he still throws high at times. But he did a really good job of keeping plays alive and just taking what the defense gave him. What I like about him over some other QBs with more talent is he never shrinks from the challenge. When the game is on the line he is working as hard as anyone and is not afraid to make a play. Not trying to open a Kirk discussion here - but as it relates to Taylor, I see that as a big difference. With Kirk he tended to wilt when the pressure was really on where Taylor seems to play better.

He has to get the ball down. That will hurt us in games. He also needs to find out how to get started faster. That game could have gotten away from us since the 1st 3 drives were virtually nothing. Against a better team that could easily be a 21-0 hole not 10-0. Need to start throwing down field more, even if he does not connect. People will start playing closer and closer to the line. After seeing him live, he reminds me of a poor mans Tony Romo with not as strong an arm. You can win games with Taylor. He is growing on me. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m enthralled by the Heinie experience like everyone else but keep in mind his magic has come against Atlanta and the Giants. 

Here's what's concerning to me, two of Heinicke's TD passes were on broken plays, absolute street ball plays. He is running around and buying time but we need to do better than that to be a good offense. Taylor is making up for either 1). poor play calling or 2). his own inability to put the ball where it needs to be on timing routes. I think it's a combination of both. To me, Taylor is learning on the fly and is doing a great job at keeping the team in games. But this offense needs to get a LOT better in several areas. All that being said he is fun to watch and I have confidence in him but you can tell this offense isn't in sync yet.

BTW, McKissic is an excellent option for this team. He needs to play more either in the slot or in the backfield. Between him and Gibson we have good juice in the backfield.

10 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Not if the pass isn't thrown.....not if the QB is looking left at three recievers for five seconds. Most QB's would never come 90 degrees to look for Mckissic, they would throw it away. To me that was amazing, he took the time to come all the way back to the right side to even look.....not sure I've seen that much of a shift in a QB's vision that fast. But I'm a homer.

I was at the game and @mistertim is more right than this statement. Yes, Taylor threw the ball. But the ball to Terry in the EZ was a miraculous catch. The ball was not in the right place. Terry's concentration made that play. Yes, all passes are not going to be perfect. But without Terry's effort that is at best an incompletion, at worst a pick in the EZ. 

The JD play, he had Humphries in the middle of the field very early and just completely missed him. And typically throwing across the field late is a bad idea. But good for him that he could see the field so I have no problem with the throw. But it was a wobbler instead of a dart. It made JD adjust where if he catches him in stride the paly is easier. After that, it was all JD. He turned a nice into a TD by sheer will. But that's OK. QB bail out receivers, receivers bail out QBs.

It's not talking him down to say those were not great throws. He made some throws that were amazing. Also, his escapability to keep plays going is great. Most QBs who missed Humphries do not stay alive long enough to hit JD. But those two plays he got a lot of help from is receiver's. Which is a really good thing. They believe in each other. All the receivers never stop on plays becasue they know Taylor will not. That's how they can make such great plays. So don't take it as a negative to say the TDs were mostly Terry and JD. They help each other. 

Not talked about enough was how the Oline played. They did a great job for the most part. Especially in the 2nd half the Falcons were stunting much more and sending blitzes and the line was picking them up. nd most of the time when Taylor had to get out of the pocket they were either able to reset or there was open space that Taylor was able to run for some yards. Now they did have some real bone head plays too letting guys get in the backfield way too early. Looked almost unblocked at times. They need to clean that up. But overall they did a nice job. 

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The production level of the modern NFL is absolutely nuts.  It's like BBC nature documentary level good.  It's part of what is killing attendance.  How can the live experience compete with broadcasts that are now more sophisticated and intimate than Hollywood movies about the sport?

• Like 4

Kid should keep the job.. Does he have the arm? Its up in the air. Decision making? Couple ups n downs but I think we agree he makes more good decisions than bad...I mean at the end of the game, can't ever remember us having a QB thinking, alright now lets see some late game magic and truly believing it could happen, when usually the thinking was, well sh*t how's he gonna screw up this comeback..

I think we all feel dude can compete with any QB out there, he's earned that locker rooms respect, he's invited to the BBQ, and lets not forget his limited starts, he just needs experience but he's shown he has what it takes. Dude should have been around during the Gibbs era, take your pick which one..

Sorry Fitz, but fight for 'Old.... Dominion..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I love to cheer for this kid, but yesterday would have been ugly against a good defense. If he had an NFL arm, he'd be unstoppable.

Could you image if our own ****ing D was unstoppable how many more points would be on the board by TH and company? Let that sink in first. 

• Like 9
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

If we had some semblance of last year's defense right now,  we'd easily be 3-1 convincingly,  maybe even 4-0 as we'd give the Bills a much better fight than what we did with this year's pathetic defense.   I'm convinced Taylor has what it takes to win in this league, despite his arm limitations.    You just don't have 2 game winning drives without it meaning something.  This is something we haven't had in a long, long, LONG time.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

The way you over analyze TH comes across as if he's the only thing holding this team back.

This is the Taylor Heineke thread, is he supposed to talk about the defense in here?  This is the place where you analyze or 'over' analyze QB play.  I doubt @mistertim (not speaking for him, I just know that I've been there before) even wants to spend so much time on the subject, but if folks are going to continue arguing against his points, he naturally is going to plead his case.

I don't think anyone in their right mind believes that TH is holding the team back.  Everyone with eyes knows this defense is putrid.  I think we're all appreciative of what TH is bringing to the team, particularly considering the very small investment we have in the guy.  He is clearly the guy our team is getting the most bang for the buck with.

I agree with enjoying the ride, but I don't think the folks being critical aren't enjoying the ride.  

24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think Bradshaw nailed it after the game that Heinicke will look like he can play, but he'll be a guy teams are always trying to replace.  

And if he's as smart financially as he is in the classroom, he'll retire from the NFL as a multi-millionaire.  Not bad for a kid sleeping on his sisters couch last year.  

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is the Taylor Heineke thread, is he supposed to talk about the defense in here?  This is the place where you analyze or 'over' analyze QB play.  I doubt @mistertim (not speaking for him, I just know that I've been there before) even wants to spend so much time on the subject, but if folks are going to continue arguing against his points, he naturally is going to plead his case.

I don't think anyone in their right mind believes that TH is holding the team back.  Everyone with eyes knows this defense is putrid.  I think we're all appreciative of what TH is bringing to the team, particularly considering the very small investment we have in the guy.  He is clearly the guy our team is getting the most bang for the buck with.

I agree with enjoying the ride, but I don't think the folks being critical aren't enjoying the ride.  

The problem I have Captain Obvious is that no one here has been posting "wow! did you see that 20 yard out that TH threw on a rope?!?!"  The same posters keep beating the same dead horse over and over.  If feels like you're talking down to us.  Like we don't have eyes or this is the first time we've ever watched someone trying to play QB in the NFL.  We know his shortcomings.  We don't care!  We're not dreaming about going to the Super Bowl with TH.  Hell, we're not even looking passed the Saints!!!  We're just trying to enjoy what little success we've been given and we don't need you guys going "yeah..but" all the time.  It's tiresome and played out.  We're going to enjoy this ride as long as it lasts.  Which is probably not long based on the history of this franchise.  Then, wallow in the mud with the rest of you discussing the futility of rooting for this franchise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1