Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

36 minutes ago, zskins said:

The Vikings signed him after he went undrafted. He was with them for 2 years and didn't even get a chance to play a single game. Vikings are probably wishing they should have kept him instead. 

A lot of their fans loved him. For the same reasons. He was cut after this game, with bruised ribs. And balled out, including a 2 point conversion, diving for the pylon walk off win. Even the broadcasters were rooting for him (Al Michaels and Chris Collensworth). With like the worst OL I've seen in a long time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Next Gen stat of the night: The completion probability of Taylor Heinicke's late TD pass to Ricky Seals-Jones, thrown to the back of the end zone over coverage from Adoree' Jackson, was just 13.7%. The air distance on the toss was 40.2 yards, and it was the second-most improbable completion by Washington of the NGS era.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-season-week-2-what-we-learned-from-washington-s-win-over-giants-on-thur

"Probabilities" in sports is stupid.  Where does a stat like that come from?  Some guru's computer running an algorithm some numbnutz came up with based on the trajectory of the ball, its speed and spin rate, the relative humidity and air temperature, the receiver's height, shoe size, lower body contortion quotient, personal gumption, and a last-second saving throw (because everyone knows you gotta have a LSST)?  How about, "that was one #@%&! hard catch!"  Oh what the heck, just go all Mr. Spock:  13.697% to be precise.  Don't you dare cheat RSJ out of that .003% he earned like a champ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Next Gen stat of the night: The completion probability of Taylor Heinicke's late TD pass to Ricky Seals-Jones, thrown to the back of the end zone over coverage from Adoree' Jackson, was just 13.7%. The air distance on the toss was 40.2 yards, and it was the second-most improbable completion by Washington of the NGS era.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-season-week-2-what-we-learned-from-washington-s-win-over-giants-on-thur

Between this and Scary Terry's improbable catch last week, it's clear that TH is a gambler that doesn't see his decisions as gambles because he believes in his receivers. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

John Mara and the Competition Committee are fining Taylor Heinicke $25,000, for Heinicke's actions being responsible for the breakage of Mara's chair.

0 h55BbpYxsdCnfJoN.gif

Haha, where is this gif from?  PLEASE tell me it's actually from last night. 

And oh yeah, **** that guy. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Heinicke was amazing. My concerns with him, and why I supported bringing in Fitz, was his lack of play time/experience and durability. One of those was clearly unfounded, and the other remains to be seen. But right now, we can roll with Heinicke and feel confident that the QB play will be NFL caliber. 

Heinicke is a baller, played well.  I've been definitely on the optimistic side about him since the Tampa game as a player but have concerns about his durability.  I still have concerns about his durability but the only way that will be assuaged is him getting through some games without getting hurt, and so far so good.

I'll give some props to Cooley in one regard which is he guessed last year that Heinicke probably isn't a good practice player so that might be part of his limits as for making teams over the years.  Seeing Heinicke myself in practice, I'd concurr, he didn't look hot.  I wouldn't say he looked bad (Haskins for example did look bad in most of the practices I watched) but he did look inconsistent and distinctly so.   He's defintiely better on game day.  Cooley though didn't seem totally sold on the player, be interesting to hear what he thinks now if that changed. 

Still, though I want to stay medium.  RG3, Jason's Campbell's 6-2 start, Colt Brennan's preseason, Todd Collins leading them into the playoffs, in Gus we trust, etc.  Each time it felt different in the moment as this does.  So don't want to jinx this.  This isn't that unfamilar terrain even though it might feel that way now, but it felt that way then, too. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So don't want to jinx this.  This isn't that unfamilar terrain even though it might feel that way now, but it felt that way then, too. 

So much this.  I guess we're just conditioned as fans of this team to not get all excited about the future and just relish the good moments when they come.  But I knew when I woke up to check this thread, folks would have already installed him in Canton.  Still hats off to Heineke for allowing us to forget about this porous defense for the next 10 days.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

IMO, it's too premature to declare him "the guy" or "the future" right now.  But, barring injury, he's earned himself the rest of the season as the starter.  

I think its premature to declare him the starter.  What if he plays poorly against Buffalo and the rest of the schedule -- the Giants game was cool to hang back on but I am not going to hang back that much if it ends up a one off.

I suspect though he will play well.  My one pause is some of his throws could have been picks last night.  I've made the Fitz comparison to Heinicke before, like Tucker does below.  They are different in some ways but really similar in others.  Both of them play with moxie, they will throw it up in the air and trust the WR to make a play, both throw with anticipation.  They both can have killer games.  Teammates love both.  Both are self effacing. 

Fitz actually has some sneaky mobility.  Main differences to me is Heinicke is faster and more of a scrambler, make plays on the move better.  Fitz is a bigger dude with a stronger arm.

Heinicke has said and Heinicke's ODU coach also said they love Fitz and Fitz has taught him a lot.  I know some are down on Fitz for his 8 reps this season, pressured on 5, but Fitz has lasted in this league not because he stinks.    Hopefully, Heinicke is better than Fitz.  Will see.     But I do think Fitz is likely a good influence on Heinicke judging by Heinicke's own words on the subject.   I know when some love a QB, they see the other QB on the roster as the bitter rival and is ripe for a trashing. :ols:  It's sort of a WFT tradition.  But I do love the idea of Heinicke having Fitz in his corner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think its premature to declare him the starter.  What if he plays poorly against Buffalo and the rest of the schedule -- the Giants game was cool to hang back on but I am not going to hang back that much if it ends up a one off.

He has played good in every game he's appeared in.  Sure, he might have a stinker here and there, but I have seen nothing to suggest that he's going to fall off of a cliff.  

I think Heinicke played really well last night. I was a bit surprised that he was mostly playing within the system and didn't do as much off-schedule stuff. He took what the defense gave him and it was mostly short and intermediate stuff but if that's what the defense gives you then cool. The go-ahead TD pass was outstanding. INT was bad, but I also don't get why they were passing there anyway.

It was fun to watch, he stayed healthy, and we won. Can't ask for much more. That said, I'm still mostly where I was before. I'm not ready to start talking about if he's actually the guy or not until I see more games. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So much this.  I guess we're just conditioned as fans of this team to not get all excited about the future and just relish the good moments when they come.  But I knew when I woke up to check this thread, folks would have already installed him in Canton.  Still hats off to Heineke for allowing us to forget about this porous defense for the next 10 days.

Yeah.  And I don't mean it in a bad way.   My leaning with Heinicke is very positive.  For example, there was a dude, I know you can recall him, who was a Chiefs fan who became a WFT fan because of his fandom of Alex Smith.   That dude hated me :ols: because while I admired Alex's leadership, I didn't like the trade, and I didn't see Alex as the dude to take us to the promised land.  I was cool with Alex but I really wasn't taken by him where deep down I was excited about him being the QB.  But there were other real haters of Alex.  i didn't hate Alex, I liked him, but I saw a ceiling with him and the main ceiling was I just didn't think he was the dude to compete with the big boys in the playoffs.  To me while he had that "it" factor as a leader.  He didn't have "it" as a QB as for going toe to toe with the better QBs in the league in a big spot type of game.

I've taken arrows for Kirk.  But i don't really think he has the "it" factor either.  He's a much better QB than some give him credit for.  I think he's a good player and better than the scrubs we've replaced him with.  But he's also IMO missing that "it factor in big games/big moments.  I never bought into McCoy.  I know now it sounds crazy but I recall the posts from some that he's the dude and Kirk just puts up numbers because of Jay's magic system.  In retrospect its silly.  But it was definitely a narrative with some back then.

I can recall back that some thought Gus had that "it" factor and was the answer.  Todd Collins seems to be forgotten by most but i recall the enthusiasm about him.  He was simply a "winner" not the most talented dude but throws with anticipation and makes plays.    If I had to think worse case scenario with Heinicke, it would be Collins because some of the stuff being said about Taylor reminds me of Collins.  Collins wasn't mobile but the narrative was he was clutch, threw with anticpation, made plays and was a winner.

Many forget but years ago most felt we found our franchise QB in Jason Campbell when he got off to a 6-2 start.  Sounds ridiculous now but it wasn't ridiculous then.  Sheehan turned from a Haskins skeptic to saying he's bust proof after his 1.25 game stint when he played well in his rookie season and he had plenty of company on it.

Heinicke in a short sample does come off like a dude with the "it" factor.  As nuts as it may sound, I'd trust what I've seen so far over Kirk or Alex in a big game in the playoffs.  So I consider myself a Heincike guy but want to explain why I've not dived in fully into that pool.  The team's history at that spot.  I want to see more.    It also just feels like bad karma to annoit Taylor so fast. :ols:  If they ever did a QB 30-30 special about this team, there certainly would be a segment about teases when they thought they had the answer. 

• Like 2

I wrote earlier this week that the most important attributes of a qb is accuracy, timing, and intelligence more than arm strength.  Heinicke has shown that in every game he has played. Some can say he’s a bit of a gunslinger but he played under control last night while attempting 46 passes. How bout that!

By the way where is this he will get hurt stuff come from? Yea he got hurt against the Bucs but every qb can get hurt on any given play. He put on 10lbs this year and had a full training camp. I think he’ll be fine health wise. 

Last did anyone hear his response when Irvin asked him if he thought he deserved to be the starter the rest of the season? Rather than saying the politically correct well we can see how things go and I’ll try my best, he confidently said I do believe I should be the starter even when Fitz comes back. I like that!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I suspect though he will play well.  My one pause is some of his throws could have been picks last night.  I've made the Fitz comparison to Heinicke before, like Tucker does below.  They are different in some ways but really similar in others.  Both of them play with moxie, they will throw it up in the air and trust the WR to make a play, both throw with anticipation.  They both can have killer games.  Teammates love both.  Both are self effacing. 

Fitz actually has some sneaky mobility.  Main differences to me is Heinicke is faster and more of a scrambler, make plays on the move better.  Fitz is a bigger dude with a stronger arm.

Heinicke has said and Heinicke's ODU coach also said they love Fitz and Fitz has taught him a lot.  I know some are down on Fitz for his 8 reps this season, pressured on 5, but Fitz has lasted in this league not because he stinks.    Hopefully, Heinicke is better than Fitz.  Will see.     But I do think Fitz is likely a good influence on Heinicke judging by Heinicke's own words on the subject.   I know when some love a QB, they see the other QB on the roster as the bitter rival and is ripe for a trashing. :ols:  It's sort of a WFT tradition.  But I do love the idea of Heinicke having Fitz in his corner. 

With the o line issues in pass pro the last couple of weeks I think Heinikie is a much better fit that Fitz.

• Like 1

Heinicke is bigger than Russel Wilson and Kyler Murray.  He's also bigger than a lot of these top prospects like Rattler and Willis (though it's a terrible draft).  So I don't want to hear any critics talk about size.  Arm strength is the ONLY negative I have for Heinicke, but his x factor in my opinion makes up for it.  There is no reason why he should be pulled when Fitz can play again.  It's Heinicke's team.