Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winter Weather Thread

China

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tim-boyd-texas-mayor-colorado-city-resigns-power-outages/

Texas mayor resigns after telling residents desperate for power and heat "only the strong will survive"

A Texas mayor resigned after seemingly telling residents to fend for themselves in a Facebook post amid a deadly and record-breaking winter storm that left much of the state without power Tuesday. 

As then-mayor of Colorado City, Tim Boyd wrote an insensitive message for people desperate for heat, water and power, saying "only the strong will survive and the weak will [perish.]"

"No one owes you [or] your family anything; nor is it the local government's responsibility to support you during trying times like this!" he said. "Sink or swim it's your choice! The City and County, along with power providers or any other service owes you NOTHING! I'm sick and tired of people looking for a damn handout." 

• Sad 1

Don’t envy Fema on this one.  Without snowplows or salt trucks, along with the sheer size of Texas and how widespread this disaster is, I imagine it’s a daunting task to provide aid.

Where I am outside Austin, we’ve been fortunate to have our power back on the past day+, though now we’ve been hit with a boil water notice.  Can’t imagine what some are going through.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Don’t envy Fema on this one.  Without snowplows or salt trucks, along with the sheer size of Texas and how widespread this disaster is, I imagine it’s a daunting task to provide aid.

Where I am outside Austin, we’ve been fortunate to have our power back on the past day+, though now we’ve been hit with a boil water notice.  Can’t imagine what some are going through.

Currently melting snow and boiling it for hand and face washing.  Two gallons of spring water for drinking.

There were 5 loaves of bread and about 20 gallon jugs of water at Walmart right when it opened.  Nobody stocking.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Sad 4

26 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Currently melting snow and boiling it for hand and face washing.  Two gallons of spring water for drinking.

There were 5 loaves of bread and about 20 gallon jugs of water at Walmart right when it opened.  Nobody stocking.

Yikes.  Good luck to you man.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, China said:

So where is this supposed storm?  I can still see grass in my yard here Falls Church.  I thought we were supposed to get 2-4 inches.  I don't see anything on the radar that looks like it'll bring more. 

It was too dry in the air. The snow dried up before it hit the ground. Points further W/NW got hammered. But we had too dry of air. 

Now the air is warm enough it’s melting in it’s way down, and freezing into sleet. Which is way more compact than snow. 

tomorrow morning will be a **** show with the overnight freeze. But otherwise this is about it. 

( this was WTOP’s explanation this morning)

Edited by tshile
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, China said:

So where is this supposed storm?  I can still see grass in my yard here Falls Church.  I thought we were supposed to get 2-4 inches.  I don't see anything on the radar that looks like it'll bring more. 

Complete bust, just like all the other “mega storms” that all the weather outlets have predicted this winter. In other words, they just throw **** at the wall and see what sticks 

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Complete bust, just like all the other “mega storms” that all the weather outlets have predicted this winter. In other words, they just throw **** at the wall and see what sticks 

Capital weather gang is the best because they clearly identify the different probabilities 

instead of just focusing on the one that makes people watch the weather report...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Anybody heard from @LadySkinsFan? Doesn't she live somewhere in TX

Hi All! I'm alive and well. We had rolling blackouts for days, not as bad as some people like me daughter who's been without power entirely for days. She went to her food store where she works and they had to throw out all refrigerated and frozen food. I need to get some staples but don't want drive anywhere. It's very icy in our parking lot and sidewalks. I'm very careful when I take Dancer out.

Texas is a mess, power grid totally unregulated, Texas Gov. Abbott blames it on the green new deal, as if that's happening here. Generations of Republicans have ****ed up this state for everyone not in fossil fuels business or wealthy. 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, China said:

We got 2 inches in Alexandria, like 8 miles SE of you.  

Two inches sounds about right here in Springfield too, but it’s ice.  2 inches isn’t an impressive snow total, but it’s a lot of ice.  

Sucks for kids that we’re hoping to go sledding, this muck isn’t very fun to play in.  Snowballs made from wet ice weigh about five pounds though, so if you hate a neighbor now is a great time to let loose.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

Two inches sounds about right here in Springfield too, but it’s ice.  2 inches isn’t an impressive snow total, but it’s a lot of ice.  

Sucks for kids that we’re hoping to go sledding, this muck isn’t very fun to play in.  Snowballs made from wet ice weigh about five pounds though, so if you hate a neighbor now is a great time to let loose.  

I fondly remember an epic ice-snowball fight. Total free for all. Ended with one kid likely (looking back on it) concussed. Another with a cut lip, and a cracked car window

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Capital weather gang is the best because they clearly identify the different probabilities 

instead of just focusing on the one that makes people watch the weather report...

I tried to access them yesterday and they were paywalld

At that point I just went to WUSA9.com

What's the point of providing information if you're just going to charge people for it. "Hey you! A big storm is coming! Wanna know how much snow you're gonna get? Pay 5 dollars." Yeah or I could to to WUSA9 site. Tenacious Topper never charged me nothing lol

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

It's not really that bad in NOVA. A UPS truck just drove by. I've also seen plows clearing the streets.

If this continues I may have to head out to Wal Mart!!! I'm pretty excited.

It was ugly this morning and I saw a few cars in ditches.  I also honked at a truck parked in the middle of the road and he responded by flicking me off, gunning the engine, loosing control, and putting two wheels on the side walk before regaining his senses.  What an adventure!  Sadly I don’t have a dash cam, because that would have been fun to share.  

Now the main roads are fine.  Some parking lots are bad if you have summer tires or badly worn tires.  I’ve been out several times today’s my little front wheel drive.  No issues if you know what you’re doing. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Destino said:

It was ugly this morning and I saw a few cars in ditches.  I also honked at a truck parked in the middle of the road and he responded by flicking me off, gunning the engine, loosing control, and putting two wheels on the side walk before regaining his senses.  What an adventure!  Sadly I don’t have a dash cam, because that would have been fun to share.  

Now the main roads are fine.  Some parking lots are bad if you have summer tires or badly worn tires.  I’ve been out several times today’s my little front wheel drive.  No issues if you know what you’re doing. 

Yes, the plows have come by about an hour ago and a UPS truck just drove by. Sounds like the roads are clear. I can see how they would not be in the morning though but it seems less bad now. Just a few inches.

31 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I tried to access them yesterday and they were paywalld

At that point I just went to WUSA9.com

What's the point of providing information if you're just going to charge people for it. "Hey you! A big storm is coming! Wanna know how much snow you're gonna get? Pay 5 dollars." Yeah or I could to to WUSA9 site. Tenacious Topper never charged me nothing lol

well. That’s how newspapers are combating the rise of the internet. I don’t work for free either. I’ll leave it at that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Dan Rather is an animal on Twitter.

Ted Cruz is having a bad week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/02/18/joe-biden-live-updates/#link-T2Y4NR5CMJE7PC4VDYZVPADZVY

Sen. Ted Cruz confirms he flew to Mexico as Texas grapples with power outages caused by severe weather

Sen. Ted Cruz confirmed Thursday that he traveled to Cancun, Mexico, as millions of Texas residents were without power and safe drinking water amid freezing weather that has left at least 21 people dead in the southern United States.

In a statement, the Texas Republican said he flew with his daughters Wednesday and would be returning Thursday amid an uproar and calls to resign over the family trip.

• Haha 1