Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

1 hour ago, gbear said:

Is there any update on when kids under 12 will be able to be vaccinated?  This has felt like it is a week out for a month now.  With school approaching for our kids, we would like our younger 2 vaccinated if possible.

the original estimates were september

my understanding is the fda just kicked the submissions back to Pfizer (and moderna?) requesting they increase the trial pool size (add more kids)

new estimate is December. 

obviously you’re curious so I’m adding some additional information for you to consider (I have a 2 year old and 6 year old)

- our board certified pediatrician and my wife (high level nurse running all the departments related to covid (icu/picu/Ed/etc)) both said we need to wait for the AAP (American academy of pediatrics) to give their blessing before giving it to our kids. The fda will approve it, the aap will review everything and release an opinion, and they both think they aap’s opinion is what we need to wait for. 

- the data for 6-11 so far is “very similar” to the data for adults. Which is a good thing. 

- they are still accepting children for clinical trials. You absolutely can get your children vaccinated right now - if you’re willing to put them in the clinical trial. 

I tried to have a conversation with my wife about putting our children in the clinical trials last night. I’m not saying we should - I simply wanted to discuss it. She shut it down immediately citing the AAP thing I mentioned.

our pediatrician would undoubtably have the same opinion based on previous conversations. 

I consider both women highly intelligent, and know first hand they operate solely on evidence-based medical methods/advice. 

both highly value the AAP and the work they do. Not all doctors that see children are board certified in pediatrics - ours is, it was a requirement of ours. 

im not telling you what to do. Especially with your children. I’m just sharing the info in an effort to help you make your decisions. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The hard part of enrolling a child in clinical trials is the possibility they will be in the placebo group.  Quick related question, when they release results of the trials, do they typically tell the patients which group they were in?  It is a part of trials I have not seen reported, so I am curious.  I would think they would need to this time.  I just wonder if it is the normal course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I love reading these stories but how do they know to check this couple?  How is the check done to confirm they were fake?  

Hawaii instituted a rigorous covid 19 passport system. Right now, immunization cards must be uploaded to Hawaii's safe travel website within 24 hrs of departing to Hawaii (and Hawaii is reviewing them for accuracy since they actually value their residents). Visitors also have to fill out an online health questionnaire. Addiitonally you must also bring your hard copy proof when arriving. 

I only wish everyone had adopted this system.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

the original estimates were september

my understanding is the fda just kicked the submissions back to Pfizer (and moderna?) requesting they increase the trial pool size (add more kids)

new estimate is December. 

l

- the data for 6-11 so far is “very similar” to the data for adults. Which is a good thing. 

- they are still accepting children for clinical trials. You absolutely can get your children vaccinated right now - if you’re willing to put them in the clinical trial. 

I tried to have a conversation with my wife about putting our children in the clinical trials last night. I’m not saying we should - I simply wanted to discuss it. She shut it down immediately citing the AAP thing I mentioned.

Couple things… 

-AAP obviously hadn’t reviewed the data yet because it’s not available, BUT AAP did write a letter to the FDA urging them hasten the approval. 

-I’ve seen the September estimate tossed around for months. I’ve also seen it stated that the fda asking for more data would delay it, but Pfizer is still sticking to the September estimate. I assume that still holds up (not Dec) but honestly don’t know because of inconsistent information. It’s really frustrating. 

-random, but for months they said data on ages 5-11 was going to be available in Sept. Now according to the NPR article it says 6-11? Wtf? I’ve got a 5 year old going to school in a week. For purposes of vaccination he’s gonna be “6” whenever it’s available though, if that really is the age cutoff. 

-I don’t know of any pediatric trials that are still enrolling, at least not near us. They’ve got a waitlist hundreds deep. We tried to get our kids signed up for two of them in Cville and Richmond and didn’t make the cut for either. So we wait…

27 minutes ago, gbear said:

The hard part of enrolling a child in clinical trials is the possibility they will be in the placebo group.  Quick related question, when they release results of the trials, do they typically tell the patients which group they were in?  It is a part of trials I have not seen reported, so I am curious.  I would think they would need to this time.  I just wonder if it is the normal course.

They unmask it at the 6mo mark and those that got the placebo can get the vaccine. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

-random, but for months they said data on ages 5-11 was going to be available in Sept. Now according to the NPR article it says 6-11? Wtf? I’ve got a 5 year old going to school in a week. For purposes of vaccination he’s gonna be “6” whenever it’s available though, if that really is the age cutoff. 

If they changed it to 6, ever consider the idea that they may have had a good reason for it?  Lying about something because you think you know better than the experts seems awfully Trump-er of you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I can't even comprehend this line of thinking lol...

"Go ahead, look it up. But don't actually do that. Unless you look it up on a random conspiracy theory website. Then it's ok. As long as it agrees with what I said"

Also...it's pretty impressive that by changing the name, "they" somehow managed to also change the symptoms...that or they figured out a way to hide hundreds of thousands of paralyzed people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If they changed it to 6, ever consider the idea that they may have had a good reason for it?  Lying about something because you think you know better than the experts seems awfully Trump-er of you.

Nope, it’s a completely arbitrary cutoff. Kids medicine doses are based more on weight than anything else and I’m not going to delay his vaccine for 3 months just so he can grow an extra 0.5lb. 

21 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

random, but for months they said data on ages 5-11 was going to be available in Sept. Now according to the NPR article it says 6-11? Wtf? I’ve got a 5 year old going to school in a week. For purposes of vaccination he’s gonna be “6” whenever it’s available though, if that really is the age cutoff. 

I believe it’s always been 12-18, 6-11, 2 months - 5 years. 

I think that because I remember constantly following the ETA for the middle group because I wanted to know how it lined up with my child turning 6. 

i, personally, do not think you should fudge your child’s age. They broke these brackets down this way for a reason. And maybe that reason is mostly red-tape related as opposed to being purely driven by the science, but I’m not qualified to contest it. And I firmly believe fudging or lying about your medical history to medical professionals is a bad idea - no matter the case. Just my opinion though. 

it’s possible I’m confusing moderna and Pfizer timelines and the fda request for a larger pool. 

I do know the chief medical officer of a top tier hospital and he said he didn’t expect any until December. He’s a little more plugged in than most. But, it was just his opinion. 

WTOP said the other day they’re still enrolling for trials around here

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Nope, it’s a completely arbitrary cutoff. Kids medicine doses are based more on weight than anything else and I’m not going to delay his vaccine for 3 months just so he can grow an extra 0.5lb. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

i, personally, do not think you should fudge your child’s age. They broke these brackets down this way for a reason. And maybe that reason is mostly red-tape related as opposed to being purely driven by the science, but I’m not qualified to contest it. And I firmly believe fudging or lying about your medical history to medical professionals is a bad idea - no matter the case. Just my opinion though. 

I second this.  You're trying to say you know more than the experts.  Think about the groups that usually do this and decide if you want to be associated with them.

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Also...it's pretty impressive that by changing the name, "they" somehow managed to also change the symptoms...that or they figured out a way to hide hundreds of thousands of paralyzed people.

I sooooo wanna use this in The Stadium for one of the threads there...

26 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The NPR article could be mistaken regarding 6 and 5.

Pfizer’s study group is 5-11.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksdk.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/mercy-pediatrician-weighs-in-on-vaccine-trials-kids-under-12/63-0cc0ddae-9cdc-4055-9575-71975d9c7160

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

So is this one of those "white lies" like Santa Clause or are you trying to show your kid that you can lie to get what you want?  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The best thing to do is talk with your pediatrician. If they had a weight range instead of an age range and your kid was a pound or half of pound too light, would you also be saying it's an arbitrary number? What if you kid was 4 lbs too light?  

35 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I can't even comprehend this line of thinking lol...

Listen, let me tell you something. You're lucky those porkchops didn't shoot you and say you're crazed on PCP, 'cause that's what they always say about everybody they shoot. And I think they're lacing the bullets with PCP, that way they got an alibi for killing everybody. Now think about it.

(Movie reference).  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gbear said:

I had 3 friends that were part of the ordinal trail. Once the results were finalized they were told what group they were in and with the 1 friend i had in the placebo, they were offered the real vaccine as soon as they were told they were in the placebo group.  

I am guessing it is the same with the kids.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The best thing to do is talk with your pediatrician

This.  To be honest -Doctors have always, and will always, prescribe meds "off -label".  It is legal and common.  (Esp with mental illness).

There are already kids under 12 who have been given a vaccine for one reason or another.  Usually those with other conditions.

There is no reason to lie about your Childs age.  If you think your child, who is under the age cut off, needs the vaccine talk to your Dr. They will either agree and give it to the child, or tell you why they do not feel that is the best way to do it.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This covid **** is gonna destroy us 

Nope...just cull the herd. Mother nature's way of saying if y'all can't control your population...I will.

Kinda like Thanos

Edited by Xameil
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

Nope...just cull the herd. Mother nature's way of saying if y'all can't control your population...I will.

Agreed.

I'm at a point where I think we stop trying to protect people from themselves.  Obviously there is a myriad of both moral and legal problems with this, but the easiest way to clean this up is to institute 'no covid vax, no covid treament' mandates at hospitals.  You don't want the shot - fine, don't get one.  You get covid, go find one of these doctors they bring on networks like OAN to treat it for you.

• Like 2