Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We would be subject to the dead money which is $10.8M, same if we cut him.  We can defer half of that cap hit to 2022 if needed.

There may be a savings I think if we cut him after June 1st too.  Not sure about that though.

27 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Biggest one on there is, Prescott.  Does Dallas let him walk?  Dallas looks really bad and has so many holes, his big salary might hurt them rebuilding. 

Yeah. It might turn out to be like Cousins contract/money situation. Dallas does have a top 5 pick so depends if they move up and get a QB instead. Dak is too expensive right now. 

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So Rivera showing some love for Kyle Allen. Can’t say i disagree, He’s no #1 superstar QB in the making but i think he has incredible value to us. 

Agreed.  After watching so many teams fielding incompetent backups all over the league I will be very happy if Kyle is our long term backup quarterback, call it a new and improved Colt McCoy.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Biggest one on there is, Prescott.  Does Dallas let him walk?  Dallas looks really bad and has so many holes, his big salary might hurt them rebuilding. 

Up until recently, I thought Jerry was backed into a corner and was gonna have to bite the bullet and pay Dak. But now, I think it's 50/50.  I can see a scenario where the price is just too high now and they bring back Dalton and draft one of the top QBs.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Up until recently, I thought Jerry was backed into a corner and was gonna have to bite the bullet and pay Dak. But now, I think it's 50/50.  I can see a scenario where the price is just too high now and they bring back Dalton and draft one of the top QBs.  

No way Jerry lets him walk.  Dalton is a solid vet stopgap, but Dak is worth so much more.  Plus, Dalton has played crappy defenses during this win streak.  

14 hours ago, zskins said:

List of Free Agent QB available next year: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

So who?

qbs.jpg

Would not shock me in the slightest if we open up next season with the same QBs we have now.  QB depth chart of Smith, Allen, Montez/Heinecke. What Smith decides to do is the linchpin to the whole thing.  I dont think Rivera pushes him overboard to grab one of the jabronies on that list.  

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Would not shock me in the slightest if we open up next season with the same QBs we have now.  QB depth chart of Smith, Allen, Montez/Heinecke. What Smith decides to do is the linchpin to the whole thing.  I dont think Rivera pushes him overboard to grab one of the jabronies on that list.  

I am not sure where all of this retirement talk is coming from.   Barring some evidence that he can't recover or other health concerns, Alex will likely be back next year after another year of conditioning.  There's no evidence he wants to retire. 

Every WFT fan should welcome it as well.  As I said early in the season, this guy just wins games.   He should be 5-0 in starts.   He did blow the Giants game in relief, but I gave him a pass at the time due to no reps with the first team and so much time away from the game, and it's paid off. 

Edited by Crowbarman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crowbarman said:

I am not sure where all of this retirement talk is coming from.   Barring some evidence that he can't recover or other health concerns, Alex will likely be back next year after another year of conditioning.  There's no evidence he wants to retire. 

Every WFT fan should welcome it as well.  As I said early in the season, this guy just wins games.   He should be 5-0 in starts.   He did blow the Giants game in relief, but I gave him a pass at the time due to no reps with the first team and so much time away from the game, and it's paid off. 

The best situation for us may be:

Smith

Allen

Rookie

Heinecke practice squad to start or if he beats out one of the other guys the main roster

• Like 3

14 hours ago, zskins said:

Yeah. It might turn out to be like Cousins contract/money situation. Dallas does have a top 5 pick so depends if they move up and get a QB instead. Dak is too expensive right now. 

If Dallas win and we lose Dallas draft pick will be in the early 20's.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The best situation for us may be:

Smith

Allen

Rookie

Heinecke practice squad to start or if he beats out one of the other guys the main roster

I agree, although recent weeks has made me concerned about Smith’s durability heading into next season. Maybe his circumstances lead to longer recovery periods for example, no idea really. But I’m less comfortable with him now than I was a month ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree, although recent weeks has made me concerned about Smith’s durability heading into next season. Maybe his circumstances lead to longer recovery periods for example, no idea really. But I’m less comfortable with him now than I was a month ago.

That’s where the other 3 come in.

21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I’ve said for a while now that they should pick a QB if they have a top 7-10 pick. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

That’s where the other 3 come in.

indeed, although his 19mil salary makes me want to be more comfortable.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’ve said for a while now that they should pick a QB if they have a top 7-10 pick. 

indeed, although his 19mil salary makes me want to be more comfortable.

him retiring gives us dead money and zero value out of it. I’d rather have him in the room and getting something out of it.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

him retiring gives us dead money and zero value out of it. I’d rather have him in the room and getting something out of it.

In theory if he retired we could recover that money, but that is highly unlikely. It also balances against what other value you can get with that 19m.

But I agree in principle, I’d like him back. Just not are sure as I previously was.

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

No way Jerry lets him walk.  Dalton is a solid vet stopgap, but Dak is worth so much more.  Plus, Dalton has played crappy defenses during this win streak.  

But my thought isn't they bring back Dalton because they think he's the answer.  lol  For this scenario, you only need a stopgap.  Saving $35-40mil to rebuild that offensive line and have Wilson/Fields/Lance operate behind it with all those weapons is enticing. I'm operating under the possibility that they actually havent been swayed that Dak needs to get paid and just need some incentive not to do it.  Because, think about it, Jerry had no succession plan and fewer options when they were screwing around with him.  They thought they were gonna be a playoff team.  Now they're near the top 10 of the draft.

26 minutes ago, Crowbarman said:

There's no evidence he wants to retire, but it's still a viable scenario to discuss.  There's no evidence he's not considering it either.  We dont know what he wants to do, so all options are on the table.  It's a realistic possibility.

• Like 1