Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

I like Galdi but that tweet flies in the face of what he typically says on air.  He cries and cries that you can't win in this league without a QB and was all over the move heaven on earth to get Watson today.  He often says the QB spot is the be all and end all so that tweet about riding with the status quo is really strange coming from him.  Maybe he's sold that Allen is a franchise QB? Otherwise it makes no sense coming from him. 

This is the quote why I'd bet Rivera moves on if Alex decides to play.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Brees is done. He's retiring. You can tell by his actions after the game. I wouldn't want him at this stage anyway. He'd actually be worse than Alex Smith if you can believe that.

He had a tv deal waiting for him before this season and nearly took it. I agree, he is headed to Romoville....Pair him up with Akib Talib.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Galdi but that tweet flies in the face of what he typically says on air.  He cries and cries that you can't win in this league without a QB and was all over the move heaven on earth to get Watson today.  He often says the QB spot is the be all and end all so that tweet about riding with the status quo is really strange coming from him.  Maybe he's sold that Allen is a franchise QB? Otherwise it makes no sense coming from him. 

This is the quote why I'd bet Rivera moves on if Alex decides to play.  

Shades of Shanahan and John Beck coming from this quote. Are we really going to see a repeat of 10 years ago? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Just listened to Sheehan and Cooley from Friday... and Sheehan said he thinks a second and fourth and a player for Stafford is realistic...

if that’s the package I’m in. Depending on the player.

Bah gawd that's Ryan Anderson's music!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Something that I may have been wasting my time thinking about recently, in regards to the very real possibility Alex does want to come back and play football.  He showed he can still win a team a few games, is there any chance he could be moved this year vs just outright releasing him?  I'm not saying we are getting a big payday, but am I crazy to assume we couldn't get a 6th rounder?  Either way we have to eat the +8M deadcap, why not get even a 7th rounder for it?

The Washington Football Team has their QB of the future.  His name is Tyler Heinecke.  The dude can flat-out play.  I can't believe he was not a backup somewhere in the NFL this year.  He is currently one of the top 32 QBs in the league and should be starting for some team.  It might as well be Washington.  

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

https://riggosrag.com/2021/01/18/dark-horse-quarterback-washington-football-team-acquire/

Dark horse quarterback who the Washington Football Team should acquire

The Washington Football Team played a competitive Wild Card game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with Taylor Heinicke as their quarterback. That fact alone should tell you that with merely competent quarterback play, Washington can be a dangerous team as early as 2021. But as history shows over and over again, finding a competent quarterback is no simple matter.

However, there is one out there, and acquiring him would not require mortgaging the future.

If he is healthy and up to speed by opening day, Kyle Allen should be Washington’s starting quarterback. If he is not, it should be Tyrod Taylor.

Why Tyrod Taylor could make sense for the Washington Football Team

Taylor is not a sexy pick. As I was going over all the free agents, trade candidates, and potential draftees who could be on Washington’s radar, his name was overshadowed by at least a dozen others. But the more I thought about the likelihood of acquiring any new QB, and the cost associated with doing so, the more it became apparent that Taylor is the ideal choice.

Click on the link for more

What evidence do you have that Kyle Allen or Tyrod Taylor are better than Heinecke?  Pedigree means zero to me.  Heinecke is better than both of them and he is my choice for starter next year.

1 hour ago, thelongestbreath said:

Something that I may have been wasting my time thinking about recently, in regards to the very real possibility Alex does want to come back and play football.  He showed he can still win a team a few games, is there any chance he could be moved this year vs just outright releasing him?  I'm not saying we are getting a big payday, but am I crazy to assume we couldn't get a 6th rounder?  Either way we have to eat the +8M deadcap, why not get even a 7th rounder for it?

Smith is still a very solid QB when he is healthy.  Washington should try to keep Smith as a #2 QB or maybe starting QB for one more season.  The guy is a proven winner.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stafford is absolutely going to Indy. They were firmly in the playoffs and not far from a favorite. 

We're definitely going to have Allen win an imaginary QB competition against Smith, Heinicke, whoever else is around. Who knows. 

I wouldn't say it's "definitely" Allen.  Heinicke proved against Tampa Bay that the stage is not too big for him.  Heinecke has the tenacity and mental toughness that too many QBs in this league lack.  Heinecke would be my choice as starter next year.    

1 hour ago, zskins said:

RG3 has been release by the Ravens. Just sayin'

If RG3 is fully recovered from his knee injury, then Washington should definitely give him a look as a backup QB.  They should also consider using him as an option QB.  There is no denying his physical gifts.

28 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

The Washington Football Team has their QB of the future.  His name is Tyler Heinecke.  The dude can flat-out play.  I can't believe he was not a backup somewhere in the NFL this year.  He is currently one of the top 32 QBs in the league and should be starting for some team.  It might as well be Washington.  

I feel we will over think this too much.  Heinicke could very well be the next Brees with wheels. 

Give him a chance.  I would not blow a wad for a qb that is not already on the team.

Draft a qb and maybesign an inexpensive veteran and let them duke it out.  But give Heinicke a chance!!  He deserves it.

SNIDER: NFL playoffs highlight Washington's quarterback desperation

Washington needs to find a franchise quarterback that’s currently not on its roster. Until then, competing for a Super Bowl is pretty much a fantasy. Past Super Bowl champions saw very few with mediocre passers. Baltimore won with Trent Dilfer, who delivered his best game ever in Super Bowl XXXV. That’s it. That’s the whole list. Oh, some mediocre passers won rings, but they had great seasons at the time. That explains Eli Manning’s two rings.

The immortals dominate Super Bowls, which of course makes them immortals by winning multiple Super Bowls. Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Bob Griese, John Elway, Ben Roethlisberger, and Brady owned the big show. They were the difference.

Washington has two choices – pry away Watson with a king’s ransom of picks and players or hope it hits in the draft. Either way, find someone who’s not a stopgap. It’s not a simple task. At least 20 teams would upgrade from their current quarterback if possible.

This is Washington’s offseason focus. Just keep owner Dan Snyder away from the war room.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stafford is absolutely going to Indy. They were firmly in the playoffs and not far from a favorite. 

We're definitely going to have Allen win an imaginary QB competition against Smith, Heinicke, whoever else is around. Who knows. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2021 at 2:46 PM, JoggingGod said:

Translation: I’m okay with a ceiling of 6-10/7-9 every year 

LOL. Naaaaa. Just think with above average QB play from a QB who is mobile we could win double digit games. No need splurging on a QB that will eat up cap space or cost draft picks.

Me, I will go for another Big Nasty in the draft. 

Sign a complimentary receiver 

Another TE

FA LBs

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

SNIDER: NFL playoffs highlight Washington's quarterback desperation

Washington needs to find a franchise quarterback that’s currently not on its roster. Until then, competing for a Super Bowl is pretty much a fantasy. Past Super Bowl champions saw very few with mediocre passers. Baltimore won with Trent Dilfer, who delivered his best game ever in Super Bowl XXXV. That’s it. That’s the whole list. Oh, some mediocre passers won rings, but they had great seasons at the time. That explains Eli Manning’s two rings.

The immortals dominate Super Bowls, which of course makes them immortals by winning multiple Super Bowls. Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Bob Griese, John Elway, Ben Roethlisberger, and Brady owned the big show. They were the difference.

Washington has two choices – pry away Watson with a king’s ransom of picks and players or hope it hits in the draft. Either way, find someone who’s not a stopgap. It’s not a simple task. At least 20 teams would upgrade from their current quarterback if possible.

This is Washington’s offseason focus. Just keep owner Dan Snyder away from the war room.

giphy.gif

I don't agree with this analysis.  Based on what I saw in Heinicke's last two performances, there is no reason he can't be a very good starting QB for Washington.  The game against Tampa Bay was pretty close because Heinicke played extremely well. 

Just now, jnhutchi3 said:

I don't agree with this analysis.  Based on what I saw in Heinicke's last two performances, there is no reason he can't be a very good starting QB for Washington.  The game against Tampa Bay was pretty close because Heinicke played extremely well. 

Will see.  The beat guys who cover the team are giving the strong impression that from what they are hearing the team itself isn't sold (might be for durabilty reasons) the way some fans are on Heinicke and are proceeding with business as usual this off season as to the pursuit of a QB.  I guess we are about to find out soon enough if they are right. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bonhommelemec said:

I feel we will over think this too much.  Heinicke could very well be the next Brees with wheels. 

Give him a chance.  I would not blow a wad for a qb that is not already on the team.

Draft a qb and maybesign an inexpensive veteran and let them duke it out.  But give Heinicke a chance!!  He deserves it.

I completely agree.  Giving up draft picks and big money for a QB who might be 10% - 15% better than Heinicke isn't worth it in my opinion.  

And unless we somehow acquire Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Patrick Mahomes, we're not going to find a QB who is significantly better than Heinicke.  

• Like 1

I don’t get the obvious lack of belief in Heinicke myself. I wouldn’t hand him the reigns without a fight and if Stafford becomes available for a second and change its a really good deal (especially because bis cost will be about 20M and nothing too ridiculous)

But otherwise I don’t understand why Allen and Heinicke can’t compete for the job.

The Snider article is weird to me... the playoffs highlight our QB desperation but the starting QB for Washington may have turned in the best overall playoff performance aside from Josh Allen in the wild card round. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t get the obvious lack of belief in Heinicke myself. I wouldn’t hand him the reigns without a fight and if Stafford becomes available for a second and change its a really good deal (especially because bis cost will be about 20M and nothing too ridiculous)

But otherwise I don’t understand why Allen and Heinicke can’t compete for the job.

The Snider article is weird to me... the playoffs highlight our QB desperation but the starting QB for Washington may have turned in the best overall playoff performance aside from Josh Allen in the wild card round. 

Stafford isn’t agreeing to go anywhere without being locked into a new deal that provides him large guarantees for most likely 4 seasons. Will want security financially, for family, and status as the franchise QB for seasons to come. 

Just now, wit33 said:

Stafford isn’t agreeing to go anywhere without being locked into a new deal that provides him large guarantees for most likely 4 seasons. Will want security financially, for family, and status as the franchise QB for seasons to come. 

Yes. I understand that. But you can bet they would work the cap so as the cap raises his hit raises and keep it at a steady percentage and his first year isn’t crazy.

But if we’re going to talk realistic here... Stafford likely wouldn’t be traded by Campbell. If he does they’ll want resources that can net them a QB. 

His compensation will likely not be a second but more.

And if his cap number is above 10% of the cap (+/- 2-3) then it’s probably not worth the trade.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see teams try to sign guys for a steady cap % this offseason. Meaning they say: “you get 3% of the cap. If the cap raises, you get a raise equivalent to 3%. 

Whether they get anyone to bite is a different bag of beans. 

• Like 1