Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The risk in my view is betting on Heinicke/Allen and a rookie. Then we get the biscuit when one works out.

But the rookie is unlikely to be a high end type, if we were picking #7 or so I'd get it -- otherwise going after the top 4 would likely require giving up serious draft capital which i wouldn't be against if they love a guy.   

Someone like Buchele or Newman or whomever could work out but statisitically speaking the odds are heavy against finding the next Russell Wilson type in the later rounds. 

If I thought the team was leaning towards believing Allen or Heinicke are likely the guys my tone would be a lot different. 

Guys like Keim have been fairly on the money over the years including on stuff relating to the QBs like the whole Kirk episode.  Granted they haven't really come in hard as to what they hear the team thinks of Kyle Allen but they have come in somwhat hard that they believe serious QB shopping is on their agenda.  And its not just them who say this.    And they aren't saying it in a way that gives me a vibe that they are thinking lets give Kyle and Heinicke a Case Keenum type and lets see them fight for the job.  The impression I am getting is they want a #1 QB that they feel is more talented than what we have in house.

Granted right now its just crumbs as for the narrative.  So maybe that narrative evolves and changes.  And if it does, I'd be thrilled.  I'd love to spend little money on the QB spot and keep all our picks while having the answer likely in house.  It can't get cooler than that.  But I am not getting the vibe yet that they see it this way.  But who knows.  time will tell.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So Mayhew drafted Stafford then ?

Yep.  I see some are connecting on twitter that it increases our chances with Stafford.  But i don't see the relevance myself. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  I see some are connecting on twitter that it increases our chances with Stafford.  But i don't see the relevance myself. 

Let’s try another one then, was he pulling the strings in the background of the 49ers trade for Jimmy G:rofl89:. Don’t know the timeline there, but might as well throw these tenuous links out now.

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Let’s try another one then, was he pulling the strings in the background of the 49ers trade for Jimmy G:rofl89:. Don’t know the timeline there, but might as well throw these tenuous links out now.

Wonder if Jimmy G if anything would push it the opposite direction.  If rumors are correct, SF believes Jimmy G isn't the answer.   If he's part of that thought than i'd gather he wouldn't want to bring him here. 

As for Stafford, the main plot is do the Lions decide to trade him. 

https://riggosrag.com/2021/01/20/washington-football-team-to-hire-martin-mayhew-in-front-office-role/

What Martin Mayhew brings to the Washington Football Team

Mayhew is an experienced scout and recently helped turn the San Francisco 49ers into a Super Bowl contender. San Francisco’s build mirrored Washington’s current build in many ways, as the 49ers built up a strong defense and then worked on the offense. Washington will be asked to do the same and like the 49ers, they do have key questions at the quarterback spot.

In addition to his work with the 49ers, Mayhew served as the Lions’ GM from 2008 to 2015. He never was able to build the Lions into a true contender and had his share of struggles in trying to rebuild the team, but given that the Lions were en route to an 0-16 season when he took over in late ’08, the fact that he led them to a 10-win season in 2011 is impressive. And he did add some key players and building blocks to the squad, especially via the draft.

Most notably, Mayhew’s first selection with the Lions was Matthew Stafford. His connections to the veteran quarterback could prove valuable to Washington, as Stafford represents a good trade target for the squad. They are focused on upgrading the QB spot, after all, and Stafford would certainly do that.

Mayhew’s track record isn’t perfect, but having a second man with GM experience in the front office is good news for Washington. The team was lacking a bit in the experience department before the hires of Hurney and Mayhew, so adding them should help balance things a bit more, provided that Washington keeps the up-and-comers, like Kyle Smith, that they already have on their staff.

It’s also worth noting that Mayhew played for Washington and won a Super Bowl under Joe Gibbs, so he is familiar with the legacy of this franchise. He also knows how to win here, so that could help him shape Washington into a winner.

We’ll soon see what role Mayhew is playing, but adding him to the front office certainly seems like a smart move. You can never have too much depth and scouting experience in a front office, and the respect Mayhew commands, along with his success in San Francisco, should bode well for his chances of performing well here in Washington.

• Like 1

Wentz would be an astronomical 34 M dead cap hit on Phi to trade him and 60 M to cut him pre June 1

They would save less than 1M by trading him.

Phi already has to shed a metric ton of money. I'm pretty sure you have to be under the Cap on the first day of the league year, so there is no way they can use Wentz to dig out of that hole.

I'm usually a brain man, but their struggle will be especially delicious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

What is an "official" rumor?  😀

I guess some insider reporter saying something versus just fans speculating

31 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I have a hard time thinking we sit on our hands this offseason and head into the season with a mediocre QB situation. Got to be a move coming. 

I get that same sense from just about everyone who covers the team, question is though does an appealing target manifests.

• Like 2

Y'all know I'm big on the Heinicke Hype train but with the Mayhew hiring, I think we'll pursue Stafford hard. Mayhew drafted him and thinks highly of him. Stafford would want to come to an ascending team ready to contend for a Super Bowl with the guy who drafted him in the building and a coach everybody respects. Plus he gets a dynamic running back, a star receiver or two and a top-tier defense. Rivera will get a Pro Bowl caliber veteran starter at a very reasonable cap hit.

This is now my prediction for what will happen.

I want to go on record: we get Watson and I will be one of the most excited people on this forum. He is a true stud.

But while excited I will be simultaneously  scared to ****ing death of what the consequences will be long term if something happens and the assets given up.

But for the player? Amped. 

I still don’t think he leaves Houston and I think Bieniemy saves that situation.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I want to go on record: we get Watson and I will be one of the most excited people on this forum. He is a true stud.

But while excited I will be simultaneously  scared to ****ing death of what the consequences will be long term if something happens and the assets given up.

I still don’t think he leaves Houston and I think Bieniemy saves that situation.

Agreed. I think we get Stafford, who prior to Heinicke's emergence was my top target. So I'll be happy. :)  

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But while excited I will be secretly scared to ****ing death of what the consequences will be long term if something happens and the assets given up.

I agree with this take. I like option B Matthew Stafford. For cap purposes less money at the Qb position which allows us to retain most of our own. Less draft capital given up to keep our farm system healthy. Gives us the ability to win now and still win later. Buying us time to find a qb 4-5 years from now.

7 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

I can’t imagine saying with a straight face you’d rather have Heinicke than Stafford or Watson

Yawn. No, of course not if cap hit and trade price were all equal. But they're not. In any case, my Plan A originally was Stafford 100% and my post history backs that up. So I'll be pleased to see that happen if it indeed does as I predict it will.

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If Watson goes back to Houston after the way McNair straight up disrespected him by going back on his promise about GM hiring consult (not only that, hiring a person connected to whom Watson perceives as the source of the culture problem apparently), it would be one of the most shocking display of ego-less move by a professional athlete.

Sure I suppose Watson could be dragged kicking and screaming back to Houston due to team's leverage over players in the NFL, but I would put higher chances on Watson sitting out than him making up with McNair because of the right coach hiring.

I'm not sure Watson would prefer DC enough to force a trade to here over say Miami or NY (suppose Houston says we'll trade you to Miami or NY if you'd be willing to waive your no trade clause, but not to DC), but it's hard to envision Watson staying in Houston.

The package would also be insane, especially given our low pick this year.  Normally, I wouldn't consider it, but Watson?  Oh boy, that's awfully tempting isn't it?  

• Like 1