Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

25 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The only saving grace is that we're an NFC team. I dont know if its possible but maybe there's a way we can also absorb the dead cap hit that Houston would take making the trade. 

We have cap space and that should be used smartly in any talks trying to lure Watson here.

the dead cap hit isn’t too bad for them via trade. Awful if they were to release him, but not via trade. 

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

For those that want Deshaun Watson in Washington.... although this is just some random twitter guy so can’t really trust that it’s even true. 

Damn I was on the fence about paying a King's ransom for him but how are we not in his top 13 destinations. 13! Lol smh

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Damn I was on the fence about paying a King's ransom for him but how are we not in his top 13 destinations. 13! Lol smh

These lists get drafted when the extension was signed.  Watson could change it if he wanted to.  (Doesn’t matter though because we can’t outbid Miami)

Good. Watson is too expensive anyway.  Rivera's style suggests we will for for the less expensive but good value  route.

I have mentioned Stafford, Ryan, Trubisky and others but I really think Marriota is a more realistic option.  He is young and is mobile.  I think he can thrive with the WFT. 

Ultimately, I do believe Rivera wants a veteran since we already have some younger qb's on the roster.

If Trask is available in round 4 or Mac Jones in round 3, then pull the trigger.

Don't sleep on Ryan though.

Oh man, this is going to be a fun offseason.  Of course, would love to see Heinicke be able to compete at least.  

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

Who cares about an aging mediocre QB

He is the one cost effective option in free agency who can go win you games. What he’s done with minimal skill talent around him is outstanding. If you strike out on Stafford, Ryan or Watson, he should be the guy because I don’t want Jones, Trask, Newman, Buehele or any of these other names that will be a waste of a pick

2 minutes ago, bonhommelemec said:

Good. Watson is too expensive anyway.  Rivera's style suggests we will for for the less expensive but good value  route.

I have mentioned Stafford, Ryan, Trubisky and others but I really think Marriota is a more realistic option.  He is young and is mobile.  I think he can thrive with the WFT. 

Ultimately, I do believe Rivera wants a veteran since we already have some younger qb's on the roster.

If Trask is available in round 4 or Mac Jones in round 3, then pull the trigger.

Oh man, this is going to be a fun offseason.  Of course, would love to see Heinicke be able to compete at least.  

I like Mariota, too, but I wonder what it would take to pry him away from LV. 

2 minutes ago, bonhommelemec said:

If RR likes mobile QB's, how mobile is Ryan?

We would need to trade assets for Mariota so I am out on him. If he was a FA then eh, ok.

Trask is somewhat of a statue so I am not a fan even though 4th round may be considered a good value pick for him

On 1/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

That's why I used the player scenario with the 2nd rounder versus the first. 

They can resign him.  Their defense is horrerndous.  Getting an established young D lineman you'd figure would be intriguing.  it's not like a 3rd round pick for example automatically yields a stud defender -- most third rounders flat out fail.  

But who knows.  We don't know if they are going to trade him.  

It is weird that some of you guys who want to take low round flyers on QBs with a 5% chance of panning out don’t realize that it takes away from the possibility of finding the next Settle, Ioannidis and Curl with that pick, which has been fairly regular in recent years. Either take a QB in the top 10 or don’t take any this year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think Fitz is a "be careful what you wish for" situation. He can be fun to watch and can make some good plays, but he makes an almost equal number of dumb/risky/boneheaded ones as well. I think he'll drive many of us nuts with that stuff. 

I can just see the game day thread posts now..."OH FOR GOD'S SAKE FITZ****TRICK! THAT GUY ISN'T ON YOUR TEAM!!! THANKS FOR LOSING US THE GAME, ASSHOLE!"

I am not wishing for Fitzpatrick.  If we aren't going for one of the top 4 QBs in the draft or Stafford or someone of that ilk -- the rest for me are about who is the tallest midget.   Fitzpatrick and Rivers might be the tallest midgets in my book. 

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

If RR likes mobile QB's, how mobile is Ryan?

We would need to trade assets for Mariota so I am out on him. If he was a FA then eh, ok.

Trask is somewhat of a statue so I am not a fan even though 4th round may be considered a good value pick for him

Rivera might prefer a more mobile qb but I only read that in an article.  He is smart enough I hope to keep an open mind.  I think ultimately, he wants someone that can win and not be stuck on a certain type.

I personally prefer the dual threzt in Mariota or even 

18 minutes ago, method man said:

It is weird that some of you guys who want to take low round flyers on QBs with a 5% chance of panning out don’t realize that it takes away from the possibility of finding the next Settle, Ioannidis and Curl with that pick, which has been fairly regular in recent years. Either take a QB in the top 10 or don’t take any this year

That's a response to my point about what it would it might take to land Stafford.  I agree that flier picks at the Qb spot could be a waste.   But not sure what that has to do with my point on Stafford trade compensation?

48 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

For those that want Deshaun Watson in Washington.... although this is just some random twitter guy so can’t really trust that it’s even true. 

that could be so.  But I wonder how that dude who has like 300 followers would know?

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Deshaun wants Miami bc they're a rising team, good coach, good culture and don't forget... no state income tax. :) 

non state income I think is huge considering his salary.  Wonder if that same point opens him to the Raiders?  The Raiders love to be aggressive in the off season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's a response to my point about what it would it might take to land Stafford.  I agree that flier picks at the Qb spot could be a waste.   But not sure what that has to do with my point on Stafford trade compensation?

that could be so.  But I wonder how that dude who has like 300 followers would know?

non state income I think is huge considering his salary.  Wonder if that same point opens him to the Raiders?  The Raiders love to be aggressive in the off season. 

Oh man if LV goes for Deshaun I'd love to take one of their guys off their hands. Carr probably gets shipped off to Houston but Mariota would be available.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Miami and the Jets battle for him and Miami wins.  If i am the Texans I want to pick a #2 or #3 to replace him with Zach or Fields over Tua. 

57 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The only saving grace is that we're an NFC team.

I think we have a better shot at getting him than people think. Not great, but better. That no trade clause Watson has is critical. He can provide a short list of destinations, and veto any move that is not to his personal liking.

There is next to no way he chooses to go to a bad team. Even if a bad team has the ammo, why would Watson choose to go to a team like the Jets? A Jets team sans most of its draft picks at that. If you cant provide a better roster than what Watson currently has, I don't see him accepting a trade to your team.

Very unlikely they hand him to a div rival so Indy is a no go.

A team like the 49ers or Bears could offer good teams and the NFC, but you'd be signing up to be in a division that features ARI,SEA,LA or the Packers. Not ideal

Mia is an good fit, with tons of ammo, but we don't know how the dolphin's view Tua, how Hou views or even wants Tua, and it puts you in a division with Buffalo and NE.

Den offers all kinds of talent on O, but its prob not a good idea to be in the same Div as Mahomie, even if they are buddies. Lets call that the anti-Patrick Price

Wsh can provide a good team, the NFC, the NFC East, and cap space to further build around him even if we purge our picks. That is pretty appealing. Just b/c your not the most likely landing spot does not mean you don't swing. Can't hit a game winning dinger if your committed to strike out looking.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Oh man if LV goes for Deshaun I'd love to take one of their guys off their hands. Carr probably gets shipped off to Houston but Mariota would be available.

With Mariote being a FA next year and Mayock loving having draft capital, I'd bet you could pry Mariota regardless from them now.  Not sure about the compensation. 

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I think we have a better shot at getting him than people think. Not great, but better. That no trade clause Watson has is critical. He can provide a short list of destinations, and veto any move that is not to his personal liking.

There is next to no way he chooses to go to a bad team. Even if a bad team has the ammo, why would Watson choose to go to a team like the Jets? A Jets team sans most of its draft picks at that. If you cant provide a better roster than what Watson currently has, I don't see him accepting a trade to your team.

Very unlikely they hand him to a div rival so Indy is a no go.

A team like the 49ers or Bears could offer good teams and the NFC, but you'd be signing up to be in a division that features ARI,SEA,LA or the Packers. Not ideal

Mia is an good fit, with tons of ammo, but we don't know how the dolphin's view Tua, how Hou views or even wants Tua, and it puts you in a division with Buffalo and NE.

Den offers all kinds of talent on O, but its prob not a good idea to be in the same Div as Mahomie, even if they are buddies. Lets call that the anti-Patrick Price

Wsh can provide a good team, the NFC, the NFC East, and cap space to further build around him even if we purge our picks. That is pretty appealing. Just b/c your not the most likely landing spot does not mean you don't swing. Can't hit a game winning dinger if your committed to strike out looking.

It's possible he says no to the Jets.  The thing is in NY his ability to make big bucks in advertising would be tremendous.  I don't know if he cares or not about that.  NY stars often get paid like no other in advertising deals.

I agree I'd take a shot at him if I were Rivera.  But the reason why if I am the Texans I wouldn't want to deal with us is that I'd want a young Qb in return.  Miami/Jets allow them to get Zach or Fields. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Mariote being a FA next year and Mayock loving having draft capital, I'd bet you could pry Mariota regardless from them now.  Not sure about the compensation. 

I'd trade a 4th. They might insist on a 3rd. IDK whether I'd do that, maybe since we got two 3rd's this year.

I think it's a little odd that we're talking about Marcus Mariota as if he's a good QB or some kind of prize. "Pry him away" from LV? He's their friggin 3rd string QB.

Mariota is probably not even an upgrade over Allen and Heinicke. It's like trading a soggy turkey sandwich for a soggy chicken sandwich. You still have a soggy sandwich that's edible but only barely. 

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

You think Mariota is getting $10M a year to be the 3rd string behind Kyle Sloter? 

Who knows.

You think Mariota is going to go somewhere else and suddenly discover how to be a good NFL QB after 6 years of mediocre-at-best play?

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I think it's a little odd that we're talking about Marcus Mariota as if he's a good QB or some kind of prize. "Pry him away" from LV? He's their friggin 3rd string QB.

Mariota is probably not even an upgrade over Allen and Heinicke. It's like trading a soggy turkey sandwich for a soggy chicken sandwich. You still have a soggy sandwich that's edible but only barely. 

Allen doesn't beat out Heinicke in a fair competition from what's on tape.  Mariota isn't a franchise QB and doesn't get trade value because TEN overdrafted him 5 years ago.  Likely a 4th rounder tops to bring in competition, however LV could cut him to free up $10.7M in cap.  You wouldn't trade for him IMO.

One source told ESPN's Sarah Barshop that the Texans have had internal conversations about possible trade partners and what their quarterback position would look like in the future without Watson.

Watson has a no-trade clause in his five-year, $156 million deal with the Texans, and some team sources believe that the three-time Pro Bowler could force Houston's hand into trading him. The no-trade clause would give Watson some control over where he is traded because if it wasn't the destination he wanted, he could decline to report.

There is a growing consensus within the NFL, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, that Watson will force his way out, and the Texans believe he will command a high compensation package in a trade.

A source close to Watson told Mortensen that the Dolphins remain prominent as an acceptable landing spot because the quarterback likes the culture he has observed under Miami head coach Brian Flores and there are no state income taxes in Florida.

There are several franchises monitoring the events surrounding Watson if he becomes available on the trade market, league sources told Mortensen.

On the day the Texans announced the hiring of Caserio, league sources told Schefter that Watson was not happy with the process because he "offered input on potential general manager candidates, but the Texans neither considered nor consulted with those endorsed by their franchise quarterback."

Texans chairman Cal McNair said Friday that the organization wants Watson "in the loop and part of the process" as Houston searches for its next head coach, but sources believe it might be too late.

But Watson has implied his unhappiness with multiple tweets since Caserio's hiring, although sources told ESPN that those feelings are not directed specifically at the former New England Patriots executive. Watson found out on social media, not from the team, that the Texans had hired Caserio, multiple sources told Schefter.

...The Texans are seriously considering Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy for their head-coaching vacancy, sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. Watson has advocated for Bieniemy in the past, and sources told Fowler that the Texans' request to interview the Chiefs' top assistant is not considered an empty one.

But Bieniemy, who was coaching the Chiefs' offense in Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game against the Browns, is not conducting any more interviews -- even introductory Zoom calls with teams -- until Kansas City's postseason is complete.

Bieniemy also has not yet decided whether he will interview with the Texans, a source told Schefter.

• Like 1