Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will Ron's excuse be this week?

hail2skins

53 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

Y'all blowing the clock management stuff out of proportion.  What, from that game, gave you any confidence that they could've pulled off a minor miracle.  To act like the team is pissed at his decisions is a whole lotta presumption...

No, you aren't being pessimistic enough, We gave up on the game, in effect, so that Dwayne didn't completely blow what remains of his confidence.  If this was Zorn, Spurrier, We could keep fighting back and through 2-3 times the picks.

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't think that's the point of this thread.

What is the point?  Every post in here (including yours) does not address what his excuse will be, the OP posed a rhetorical question meant to create a dialogue questioning Rons coaching and every single post in here is someone's opinion on how the decision by Ron will affect the team, cost us valuable reps, or some other BS.

Rivera is treating the situation like the last two coaches should have, but seemed more interested in justifying stretching their own employment out an extra season instead so they would do everything they could to slog out enough wins to get to .500 and hope they could sell the idea that the team was close. 

Rivera did not get hired onto a good team.  There is 1 unit on this team that is good, the D-line.  Every other unit is not NFL level.  Some units have some young players who might develop, some units have an individual player or two that are already that good.  Overall, however, this team is not in the position to compete week in and week out.  

Haskins is too big of a question mark at this point to even know one way or another for sure whether he is even a building block for the franchise.  The O-line is not good enough of a unit to expect sustained success on offense either.   I am not sold on Haskins at this point, but I also remember how bad Alex Smith looked for almost the first seven seasons of his career while the 49ers front office emphasized building a monster defense.  For a long time, it was basically Alex Smith, Frank Gore, & Vernon Davis trying their hardest to show signs of getting better among a team full of scrubs.   Then in 2011 it was like a light switch, followed by the SB run in 2012.   NFL fans weren't along for those losing seasons that were required to get there, but 49ers fans never forgot.   Sometimes when a team becomes really good "out of nowhere" the out of nowhere part is a fallacy, and it's just a matter of people not having paid attention to the seasons of building that preceded it. 

Rivera is in the beginning stages of what most of this fanbase claimed we wanted & needed the last decade.  A true acknowledgement that the team needs to be built from the ground up and stop taking shortcuts meant for short-term random wins that don't amount to anything but the team being stuck in neutral.  That is what what the Gruden/Cousins era will be remembered for, the "not quite" era. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I think people are overblowing the not calling the TOs issue. We had no chance of coming back and its better to keep guys healthy then risk injury in a futile comeback attempt. The team did NOT give up after being down 17-7, we rallied to take the lead.

Haskins had a bad day but there were some good throws made. Its going to be like this for a while. QB development isn't some steady linear curve. He'll play well, then he'll struggle. Hopefully he eventually learns to be consistent. He's got this season to keep at it.

Sweat was a baller today even with Young out. D overall played well but couldn't stop the run in the 4th quarter and that was also a big difference maker.

In my opinion Haskins played well as a young quarterback protecting the ball up until this game. These were boneheaded picks but it was one game. I have seen Josh Allen and Jared Goff, look like an arena football team quarterbacks their first two years only for them to progress to talented signal callers. The team cannot keep trading out quarterbacks after one season. Even Kyler Murray was suspect last year but this game is on Haskins. The sack fumble recovery not so much but the two picks were awful. 

I think he 1. Knows in his heart the game is over because he doesn’t have the horses to execute a comeback and 2. Doesn’t want to put them in position to make more mistakes and have the scores really get out of control.  He’d prefer to lose by 14/15 and say, “look, we were in it at the end” rather than take the TO’s which also gives the opponent more time to score, and then if we do get the ball back risk having Haskins throw a pick 6 or something.  

Yeah, he’s conceding a little early.  And I don’t think he would do that if he had confidence in his team to execute.  But he doesn’t. And I think he’s willing to take the heat so players don’t make extra mistakes in garbage time and have to answer for them.  

I don’t love it.  But I understand it.  To an extent.  

I think the injury thing is a convenient excuse, but I think it’s a lie.  I think it’s more he doesn’t want more late game mistakes. 

1 hour ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Exactly, imagine being a player and playing 57 min trying to win a game and learning your coach doesn't care about winning it. I'd give up on the coach. 

1 hour ago, DiscoBob said:

Y'all blowing the clock management stuff out of proportion.  What, from that game, gave you any confidence that they could've pulled off a minor miracle.  To act like the team is pissed at his decisions is a whole lotta presumption...

Imagine Gary Clark or Santana Moss or Brian Mitchell on the sideline and those seconds ticking away like that. They would have jumped onto the field and called the timeout themselves. Because they never quit in a game. They would have been pissed. 

And any offensive player on the sideline who wasn’t pissed at the end of the game today? Get rid of them. They don’t need to be on this team. Few beside Terry McLauren have the talent. . . if they don’t have the desire either - cut them. 

Part of me is curious if Rivera is watching how guys react to that kind of thing, too.

Rivera is no dummy. He knows the game and he knows how to manage a football team. He’s had too much success to say otherwise.

So... part of me wonders if he’s waiting for one of the guys to come over and say, “Coach, we can fight back here. Call the timeout!”

As to the injury excuse, I find it acceptable due to the circumstances of lack of ota's, pre season, and virtual practices. As Rivera has stated and stated over again, the team on both sides of the ball does not have the full playbook available due to limited practices and ota's prior to the season due to Covid. Then some of you are going to say what about other teams? Well most teams have played together for years and do not have a new coaching staff but the teams that do have new coaching staffs are struggling just like Washington. Hell some teams prime example the 49ers are a Mash unit. 

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Part of me is curious if Rivera is watching how guys react to that kind of thing, too.

Rivera is no dummy. He knows the game and he knows how to manage a football team. He’s had too much success to say otherwise.

So... part of me wonders if he’s waiting for one of the guys to come over and say, “Coach, we can fight back here. Call the timeout!”

So the “Rivera is Playing 3-Dimensional Chess” theory?  Sorry, not buying it. 

Winning cultures don't save timeouts. If we have to wait for Ron to have a defense like he had in Carolina and an MVP winning qb like Cam in order to win, we might be waiting for a while. I thought he'd be the one to start a winning culture now... didn't think he'd be the type to concede games and save timeouts. But, like every coach we've had the last 30 years, I'll continue to have a dumb man's blind faith that this time will be different. 

33 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Imagine Gary Clark or Santana Moss or Brian Mitchell on the sideline and those seconds ticking away like that. They would have jumped onto the field and called the timeout themselves. Because they never quit in a game. They would have been pissed. 

We don't have anyone on our offense as good as any of those guys right now so what point are you trying to make?

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

But that team had a proven QB in Brunel, and good offensive talent.  

This team doesn’t.  

There’s a huge difference. 

Uh no.  Brunell was wet noodle status.  There was absolutely zero reason to believe he'd throw two beautiful strikes to Moss.  I don't think the offense got over the 50 until the 3rd Q.  Take out those two throws, his stat line was 18-32, 182 yards.   

49 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Rivera is treating the situation like the last two coaches should have, but seemed more interested in justifying stretching their own employment out an extra season instead so they would do everything they could to slog out enough wins to get to .500 and hope they could sell the idea that the team was close.

Maybe this is some type of BB-type mind game where he is waiting for the team to question the strategy and demand a full opportunity to win or lose.

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He doesn't strike me as one who plays games, but you could be on to something.

I know he's a good coach and a good manager of people, so I trust him even though I don't understand everything that's happening.  And I trust him not to lose the locker room, by every accounts the players absolutely love him.  There is probably something going on in house that we're not privy to that is motivating his decision making.  My worst fear is that it has at least something to do with his health problems and that his treatments have been taking a lot more out of him and the team than any of us realize.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We don't have anyone on our offense as good as any of those guys right now so what point are you trying to make?

I explained it before. I don’t know if the offense was upset with Rivera’s inaction, but if they don’t have talent AND they don’t have the desire, they shouldn’t be on an NFL roster. 

18 minutes ago, megared said:

Uh no.  Brunell was wet noodle status.  There was absolutely zero reason to believe he'd throw two beautiful strikes to Moss.  I don't think the offense got over the 50 until the 3rd Q.  Take out those two throws, his stat line was 18-32, 182 yards.   

But he had done it before.  There wasn’t. Lot of hope he could do it, but he had shown he could do it.  And I think he has hit a few throws the week before also, just big ones.  

Also, they weren’t in “evaluate/rebuild” mode.  They were an older and veteran team who was trying to win. 

The teams are not comparable, and the situations are not comparable.  

I thought Ron should have challenged the PI called on McLaurin.  I know those rarely get overturned but if it was truly just an arm swipe maybe they do.  That lead to another pick with Haskins behind the sticks.  At least use those TOs for something to try and help out.

Archived