Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will Ron's excuse be this week?

hail2skins

I know its already being discussed in the GDT, but this is pathetic. Two straight games where we are down by two possessions with the other team getting the ball with roughly 6.5 minutes left and Ron shows absolutely no interest in stopping the clock to try and get the ball back to his offense with as much time as possible. I thought the object was to win.  He did decent things in Carolina, but I'm starting to wonder if I've seen enough of this garbage attitude.

YEs we had injuries, but this game isn't even blameable on the Norv-SYstem.... Haskins through 3 picks, and fumbled twice...

Haskins owns this L not Rivera.

I don't know what was going on in his head, but he has to improve, or we may see Kyle Allen before season's out.  I want to be patient, its still only game 3, but I have not seen enough yet to be settled on him for next year.

I'm all about this team fighting back in games with a chance to win, but in the last 2 games they really haven't shown they want to fight back.

Not a Ron defender, but all this team has been doing lately is getting injured and not making enough standard "sound" plays to show they are ready to make big ones in the clutch.

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Next week we are playing probably one of the two best teams in the league. Tell you what Ron, maybe we shouldn't even take the field.

Well he's got to evaluate something so after the Ravens blow us out in the first half Ron can just have Haskins take a knee the entire 2nd half.  Can't risk injury!  

I don’t like leaving the time outs unused either. However, I think I am going to look at this as a 16 game preseason. Everything we do this year is in prep for next year. 

Still, it bugs me because “never say die” is something to be instilled in the team too. Rivera is teaching the team to give up. 

I think people are overblowing the not calling the TOs issue. We had no chance of coming back and its better to keep guys healthy then risk injury in a futile comeback attempt. The team did NOT give up after being down 17-7, we rallied to take the lead.

Haskins had a bad day but there were some good throws made. Its going to be like this for a while. QB development isn't some steady linear curve. He'll play well, then he'll struggle. Hopefully he eventually learns to be consistent. He's got this season to keep at it.

Sweat was a baller today even with Young out. D overall played well but couldn't stop the run in the 4th quarter and that was also a big difference maker.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don’t like leaving the time outs unused either. However, I think I am going to look at this as a 16 game preseason. Everything we do this year is in prep for next year. 

Still, it bugs me because “never say die” is something to be instilled in the team too. Rivera is teaching the team to give up. 

Burg, I know you've been around for a long time, but the people who are OK with what Ron is doing here deserve the garbage team we have had for close to 30 years now.  How many teams have gone from having very poor seasons to solid seasons record-wise over the course of a year. I know covid has presented unique challenges, the team is very limited on talent on offense, and Dwayne is a work in progress, but still.

Just now, hail2skins said:

Burg, I know you've been around for a long time, but the people who are OK with what Ron is doing here deserve the garbage team we have had for close to 30 years now.  How many teams have gone from having very poor seasons to solid seasons record-wise over the course of a year. I know covid has presented unique challenges, the team is very limited on talent on offense, and Dwayne is a work in progress, but still.

Oh, I'm not really okay with it. I was screaming "Time out" at the TV. I just think mentally rejiggering myself to think of these as developmental games or preseason games might be the best way to keep my sanity. After all, I just don't see this team being relevant. Part of that is because the coach's willingness to throw in the towel tells me he doesn't think his team can be relevant. 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Haskins had a bad day but there were some good throws made. Its going to be like this for a while. QB development isn't some steady linear curve. He'll play well, then he'll struggle. Hopefully he eventually learns to be consistent. He's got this season to keep at it.

At no point has he looked promising at all. All the other young QBs look like they have "it" and he does not. He is horribly inaccurate, which is not about progression, you either are or you aren't. You can throw INTs that were accurate balls but bad reads. His balls are all over the place.

Also man is he SLOW. In 2020 you need your QB to be somewhat mobile.

1 minute ago, Leonard Washington said:

He may lose the team with the approach.  I'm sure Herm Edwards would not agree.

I guarantee you he won't. He did the same thing last week and the team showed resiliency today rallying from a 10 point deficit to take the lead.

You guys overblow this. The players buy into Rivera. They probably know themselves they can't win and appreciate Coach not risking any of them to get injured.

Honestly, Rivera has an extremely free hand to do what he's always wanted to do. In Carolina, there were high expectations and he had to meet them every day for his job. He's a veteran coach now, with 100% trust from the coaches and the fans going into this season. Expectations are low, nobody in their right minds expect a playoff season. He can do what he wants and for this season at least, no one is really going to call him on it. Yeah, there's grumbling, but his job here is not in doubt for this year or even next year. He can use the team as a science experiment, and nobody on the team has the grounds to lift a finger to stop him.

So, for all the years under our current owner this team has done what?  What have we actually won?

Give Ron AT LEAST the entire season.  Give Haskins at least the rest of the season.  I mean really, start shuffling QB's and such that might win a couple of games.  Besides having a little bit better record, what does that actually accomplish?

We could repeat some of the failures under Dan - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1020285-redskins-red-faced-10-biggest-embarrassments-during-dan-snyder-era -

Or, just let the coaches coach for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Honestly, Rivera has an extremely free hand to do what he's always wanted to do. In Carolina, there were high expectations and he had to meet them every day for his job. He's a veteran coach now, with 100% trust from the coaches and the fans going into this season. Expectations are low, nobody in their right minds expect a playoff season. He can do what he wants and for this season at least, no one is really going to call him on it. Yeah, there's grumbling, but his job here is not in doubt for this year or even next year. He can use the team as a science experiment, and nobody on the team has the grounds to lift a finger to stop him.

Yea, but us fans don't have to support it. One of the more pathetic things I've seen is a coach giving up like Ron has. Shanahan and Gibbs were super bowl winning coaches and couldn't get this team over the hump. My faith in Ron has gone down drastically after this. 

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I guarantee you he won't. He did the same thing last week and the team showed resiliency today rallying from a 10 point deficit to take the lead.

You guys overblow this. The players buy into Rivera. They probably know themselves they can't win and appreciate Coach not risking any of them to get injured.

So you think nobody on that team questions why Rivera is not taking timeouts on defense with over 6 minutes left and down two scores?  I seriously doubt that.

To be fair to Rivera, I think there are a lot of coaches who mismanage this aspect of the game.

Archived