Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will Ron's excuse be this week?

hail2skins

1 hour ago, Partag said:

Dunno if someone said it, but i think Rivera is sending a message to the team.

Kinda:  ''I'm gonna use time out when i'll believe in you. Now i'm kinda saving you from looking silly, prove me wrong, prove me i should beleive you'll do somethings, then i'll use time out, for now STFU and hide''

That only works if he plays the players that can put the team in a position to win. This isn’t a high school team. He will wear the team down fast if that’s the game he’s playing. Particularly with the players he’s starting. 

I understand that Ron was trying to save Haskins from himself today.  That the odds of a comeback victory were Incredibly slim and not worth risking having Haskins turn it over again and make a bad situation worse.

However, what kind of message does it send to the other 52 guys?  That we aren’t even going to attempt to win because our QB is terrible and too fragile to deal with another pick.

Obviously Ron has a better gauge on his team than any of us, but I can’t really find any silver linings to the strategy.

9 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Yes, after coming back from down 17-0.  Obviously things weren't going right the whole game.  

Ok. So, correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re talking about the thought process regarding timeouts at the end of games, yes? And you said the thought process (about not using timeouts near the end of games) would’ve been different. How would it have been different? Wouldn’t it have been the same as last week and today? 

or are you trying to say it would have been different in that rivera wouldn’t have HAD to use any timeouts in the first place, if they were winning today? 

15 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Yea, I'm starting to think Rivera is a little arrogant, as if he created Cam from a Haskins. Cam was never even close to as bad as Haskins has been. Heck he threw for 4,000 yards and rushed for 700 more as a rookie. Rivera was just fortunate to have the #1 pick and get a qb the caliber of Cam. Maybe that's why he's trying to lose this year, to try that again. But I'm starting to not believe much of what Rivera says. None of it makes sense and is detached from reality. 

Please do not start your post by saying we agree, and then spout a bunch of crazy stuff, it hurts my rep. Run this stuff by my people first, they’ll have approved talking points for you

4 hours ago, Veretax said:

No, you aren't being pessimistic enough, We gave up on the game, in effect, so that Dwayne didn't completely blow what remains of his confidence.  If this was Zorn, Spurrier, We could keep fighting back and through 2-3 times the picks.

You're right, if there is one thing us WTF fans don't have is enough pessimism. LOL

I'm more pessimistic because I've seen fans flip out over every miniscule thing for decades.  I get it, we SUCK... running meaningless plays in a hopeless situation isn't going to change that.  And yes, in spite of our suckitude, I still trust Ron's opinion more than yours....

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Please do not start your post by saying we agree, and then spout a bunch of crazy stuff, it hurts my rep. Run this stuff by my people first, they’ll have approved talking points for you

Not exactly sure what's much different than what you said, but alright. 

8 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Not exactly sure what's much different than what you said, but alright. 

Person A said that since Rivera had been through a young QB situation with Cam, he might apply the lessons learned to Haskins.

Person B said that although there were lessons learned, Haskins and Cam are so different that Rivera isn't applying those lessons to Haskins.

Person C said that Rivera is arrogant for trying to apply those lessons to Haskins.

You are Person C, quoting Person B and saying you agree with him.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Person A said that since Rivera had been through a young QB situation with Cam, he might apply the lessons learned to Haskins.

Person B said that although there were lessons learned, Haskins and Cam are so different that Rivera isn't applying those lessons to Haskins.

Person C said that Rivera is arrogant for trying to apply those lessons to Haskins.

You are Person C, quoting Person B and saying you agree with him.

Direct quotes...

"I get what you’re saying, but I have to point out that Cam was an instant superstar."

"I’m not sure Rivera’s ever dealt with such a project that had so much invested in him, like he has now with Haskins."

Like I said, other than adding Rivera is arrogant, not sure what was so different. 

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

However, what kind of message does it send to the other 52 guys?  That we aren’t even going to attempt to win because our QB is terrible and too fragile to deal with another pick.

This is exactly it - everyone outside of about 5 delusional fans in DC know "Simba" is a massive joke, but Rivera is saddled with it because he was a "Danny" pick.  Throwing in the towel before the half and before the end of games because you know "Simba" will throw a pick when he tries to go downfield will ultimately rub the team the wrong way - the other guys who have their paychecks on the line here.  Snyder has found creative ways to run this org into the ground for multiple decades and anyone who thinks the old Riverboat Ron would change things is delusional.   

45 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I understand that Ron was trying to save Haskins from himself today.  That the odds of a comeback victory were Incredibly slim and not worth risking having Haskins turn it over again and make a bad situation worse.

Obviously Ron has a better gauge on his team than any of us, but I can’t really find any silver linings to the strategy.

I think the best way for Ron to save Haskins from himself and help the other 52 is run the ball more.  Today they ran it 22 times and Haskins threw it 37.  Those numbers need to be reversed.  

21 minutes ago, drowland said:

I think the best way for Ron to save Haskins from himself and help the other 52 is run the ball more.  Today they ran it 22 times and Haskins threw it 37.  Those numbers need to be reversed.  

Ah yes, they call that the Callahan :)

1 hour ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Direct quotes...

"I get what you’re saying, but I have to point out that Cam was an instant superstar."

"I’m not sure Rivera’s ever dealt with such a project that had so much invested in him, like he has now with Haskins."

Like I said, other than adding Rivera is arrogant, not sure what was so different. 

Firstly, my post was a joke, but an acknowledgement that we don’t really agree. You also said things like, you don’t believe the things Rivera says and you think he’s detached from reality. 

I was never that excited about the Rivera hire and didn’t get all the hype about it. His last two years in Carolina were losing seasons. His last game there was an awful loss to us. He only had three winning seasons and six losing seasons there. If you take out his 15-1 season he was a game below .500 there. Keep in mind of other coaches who have coached in Super Bowls who aren’t worth much. Ex: Bill Callahan. Rivera doesn’t have the credentials to deserve the benefit of the doubt from the “noise”

aka us the fans. Unfortunately we are stuck with a loser mentality coach for at least the next five years before we start over again. 

40 minutes ago, SkinsFan_07 said:

I was never that excited about the Rivera hire and didn’t get all the hype about it. His last two years in Carolina were losing seasons. His last game there was an awful loss to us. He only had three winning seasons and six losing seasons there. If you take out his 15-1 season he was a game below .500 there. Keep in mind of other coaches who have coached in Super Bowls who aren’t worth much. Ex: Bill Callahan. Rivera doesn’t have the credentials to deserve the benefit of the doubt from the “noise”

aka us the fans. Unfortunately we are stuck with a loser mentality coach for at least the next five years before we start over again. 

I will admit I fell hard for the hype and the new regime. I didn't realize he had 6 losing seasons with the Panthers and was 29-31 his last 4 years. I'm not excited about the comments he is making. Making excuses and admitting he's not trying to win this year. I honestly thought he was going to be a no excuse coach that develops a winning culture from day one. Not someone who needs a year off before he starts trying to win. This is the most loser mentality I've seen from a Washington coach. Maybe we deserve it.

1 hour ago, SkinsFan_07 said:

If you take the words out of your post, it becomes infinitely more valuable. 

Based on Rivera’s comments, best thing to do here is detach from the results. Seems like the focus is on development first and foremost. The results becoming of secondary importance at this stage. That would typically be a dangerous approach here but Rivera clearly has licence to start this thing from the ground up. 

Right now, we are a 3 quarter team. 

We could try kneeling and punting on 3rd down to work on our kicking game.

Gospel according to Ron Rivera is that you can't expect to win or compete for 4 full quarters in your first season with a rebuilding franchise. 

In year 2, the team will suddenly turn it on and play for 4 quarters.

9 hours ago, ggarriso said:

Ah yes, they call that the Callahan :)

Yeah and I think Callahan and O'Connell had a better approach with Dwayne then Rivera and Turner do.  There are different philosophy's on developing QBs but I think if you have a good defensive front and can run the ball, that's the best way to bring along a QB.  And this team has that ability but Ron wants to put him in uncomfortable situations and have him fight through it.  Could work or it could kill his confidence.  They don't have the personnel to throw the ball the way they are so it makes no sense to me.   

19 minutes ago, drowland said:

Yeah and I think Callahan and O'Connell had a better approach with Dwayne then Rivera and Turner do.  There are different philosophy's on developing QBs but I think if you have a good defensive front and can run the ball, that's the best way to bring along a QB.  And this team has that ability but Ron wants to put him in uncomfortable situations and have him fight through it.  Could work or it could kill his confidence.  They don't have the personnel to throw the ball the way they are so it makes no sense to me.   

I don't agree about the uncomfortable situations. I think they are still learning what makes Haskins tick. The first two weeks they tried to play one way and it didn't work so they changed it in the second half. This week they started out the way they played the second halves of those games and it started well but he made some (different type of) mistakes.  This year he's being given the ability to run Scott's offense but that means he has to grow with Scott. But he was being labeled as a bust by Cal and KOC because he was mimicing captain checkdown. Now even yesterday he's having his good plays taken away from him because they were Scott's design or because of the playmakers (who many say we don't have) made the plays instead of them being great plays by Haskins. This is a young team and they're growing and we have to let them grow together. 

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

I don’t like leaving the time outs unused either. However, I think I am going to look at this as a 16 game preseason. Everything we do this year is in prep for next year. 

Still, it bugs me because “never say die” is something to be instilled in the team too. Rivera is teaching the team to give up. 

Rivera knows we suck better then we do, and that this offseason made it worse.  He was serious about this being an evaluating season, so while sucks watching us lose, in context losing was to he expected.

I'm concerned about Haskins more then the direction of the franchise right now. This wasn't a playoff team even if he did well, and Rivera keeps saying that on deaf ears.  Not pointing you out, jus thats exactly what this is, a 16 game preseason because of rebuild and COVID.

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't agree about the uncomfortable situations. I think they are still learning what makes Haskins tick. The first two weeks they tried to play one way and it didn't work so they changed it in the second half. This week they started out the way they played the second halves of those games and it started well but he made some (different type of) mistakes.  This year he's being given the ability to run Scott's offense but that means he has to grow with Scott. But he was being labeled as a bust by Cal and KOC because he was mimicing captain checkdown. Now even yesterday he's having his good plays taken away from him because they were Scott's design or because of the playmakers (who many say we don't have) made the plays instead of them being great plays by Haskins. This is a young team and they're growing and we have to let them grow together. 

I was paraphrasing what Ron said in the press conference.  He said they're going to put him in uncomfortable situations.   Haskins can make some great throws but he's not ready to throw it 30+ times a game and I don't agree with Ron's approach.  He says he did this with Cam, but Cam and Dwayne aren't the same athletes. 

Archived