Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I hope this isn't the last time they practice there.

If we can't have home field advantage due to fans, I hope we have some kind of home field advantage, due to being familiar with the feel of our grass. If that even makes sense. 😀

I wonder if that's the same play where he dropped Foster, or if he did it twice.

I think it was Love who dropped Foster.  

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think people are going to see pretty quickly that the Pats are just another average team without Tom Brady.

Bill Belichick is the GOAT coach.  Their W/L record with Brady is bonkers, but in the games that Brady has missed, their W/L record is still...#1 in the NFL.  It doesn't help that they had a ton of Covid Opt Outs though.  So talent is depleted a bit, but that defense of theirs last season was insanely good.

It sucks Harmon went down, we are very weak at the WR position. Inman is just a journeyman and looks like AGG will take some development. Kinda hope a good WR ends up like fournette and gets cut in the next few days and we can be like yo what up 

5 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

No, +220 means that you win $220 by betting $100, so essentially it's 2.2 to 1 odds.     (NOT 220 to 1 odds)  ...  

Damn! So I guess I can stop planning my trip to Tahiti.  

Woulda been nice to turn 100 simoleons into two hundred and twenty Franklin's though. 

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Riley reiff may be getting cut by the Vikings today if he doesn’t take a pay cut. If released, should the team sign him?

Hell yes! At worst he's an average to above average LT. 

Geron Christian at LT is a journeyman.  He is an impediment to both the growth and evaluation of Simba. 

As it stands now every time Dwayne drops back he's likely to "feel" backside pressure whether it's real or not. 

If we can afford Reiff we should sign him. 

has the lack of preseason been making anyone here itching for the season to start, or is it just me? 

i feel like most other summers by this point, we’d have already watched 3 preseason games and we’d already have KINDA a feel for how crappy this team will look once the season starts. this year, all we have to go off of is training camp tweets, so the WANT to see just how we’ll look (especially under Rivera and JDR) is HUGE

not entirely sure how much sense that made, it sounded good in my head though 

11 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Bill Belichick is the GOAT coach.  Their W/L record with Brady is bonkers, but in the games that Brady has missed, their W/L record is still...#1 in the NFL.  It doesn't help that they had a ton of Covid Opt Outs though.  So talent is depleted a bit, but that defense of theirs last season was insanely good.

It hasn’t hurt playing in such a terrible division.  The Patriots had the easiest schedule on defense last year per DVOA. Expect a significant drop-off this season. 

Count me as team Brady when determining who gets more credit b/w him and Belichick for their dynasty. I think Brady’s going to have an early Broncos Peyton Manning-like resurgence on the Bucs the next couple of years. 

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

We have Waiver dibs. If we want him, we can make sure Philly does not get the chance when he is cut. Could just claim him so philly cant.

Zombie's are fans of underhanded moves like that

He's a vested veteran.  Which means if he's cut he's a free agent and can sign wherever he wants to. 

If I were the Skins I'd consider offering the Bikes a 7th round pick to get him before he's released.  

On 8/30/2020 at 12:23 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

A few thoughts on this Giants scrimmage (link below):

1.  I hope the WFT media team does something similar tomorrow, allowing us to watch the scrimmage highlights.

2.  Andrew Thomas is really struggling, and this is against perhaps the worst starting EDGE duo in the league.  Actually, the OL as a whole seems to be terrible.

3.  Daniel Jones looks to be having a lot of the same problems he had last year.

https://youtu.be/s51LNBqrfgE

Just read a piece on the TheAthletic that bakes up your takes of their scrimmage.  Almost all of the Daniel Jones highlights they showed were shallow crossers or a dump off to a RB.  He had one good throw where he tried to push the ball down the field.  That's it.  Not the best showing from 5 drives.  Wasn't Jones supposed to be the most aggressive rookie QB last season?  This new offense seems to be asking him to not do that.

I have a hard time thinking an offense that's struggling against what should be a bad defense is going to amount to much of anything this season.

11 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Hell yes! At worst he's an average to above average LT. 

Geron Christian at LT is a journeyman.  He is an impediment to both the growth and evaluation of Simba. 

As it stands now every time Dwayne drops back he's likely to "feel" backside pressure whether it's real or not. 

If we can afford Reiff we should sign him. 

Kinda hard to call a guy who's played his entire career with the team he was drafted by a "journeyman" but point taken.

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

He's a vested veteran.  Which means if he's cut he's a free agent and can sign wherever he wants to. 

If I were the Skins I'd consider offering the Bikes a 7th round pick to get him before he's released.  

Wouldn't that put us on the hook for the rest of his contract? He's got two years left.

49 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm still not convinced that BB is some superhero that people make him out to be. I think he's a good coaching mind who is good at adapting to the players he has. But before he lucked into Tom Brady he was 41-55 as a head coach. Yes Cassel had a decent season with the Pats when Brady went down in 08 but I'm still leaning more towards that being closer to the exception than the rule. Jimmy G played in 6 games and while he looked pretty good, he was mostly a game manager.

Tom Brady is the reason for the Pats dynasty. I think BB will be shown to be mortal after all. Still a good coach, mind you...I'd never say he is a bad coach at all. But just not some a mad super genius that some make him out to be.

I remember watching a clip of BB and Brady reviewing film before a game and it was basically Brady saying "Yeah, this is what they're doing so we should to do this and this and this" and pretty much coming up with game strategy on the spot. And Belichick was basically just sitting there going "Ok, cool, sounds good". 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Kinda hard to call a guy who's played his entire career with the team he was drafted by a "journeyman" but point taken.

OK.  Let's be polite and call him an easily negotiated speed bump for DEs  with evil intentions towards our qb.  😉

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Wouldn't that put us on the hook for the rest of his contract? He's got two years left.

(In Teddy KGB voice) "Pay the man his money!"

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hopefully out talent at pass-catching RB's, combined with talent at OC, just might be able to compensate somewhat for a lack of talent at both WR and TE.

Similar to how Cousins thrived here, when he had a healthy CT and creative OC

Well cousins had Reed, Desean and Pierre 

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Didn’t reed play in ‘17? Or was that one of the injury-riddled seasons for him? They all seemed to blur together at some point :P 

He registered less than half a season that year.

So other than CT, he did it mainly with Ryan Grant, Doctson, and Crowder at WR, and Niles Paul and Vernon Davis played TE most of the year.

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hopefully out talent at pass-catching RB's, combined with talent at OC, just might be able to compensate somewhat for a lack of talent at both WR and TE.

Is really talented the right description for Scott Turner?  Seriously I don't have any idea?  He is new.  He helped CC get into situations where CC made huge plays.  Was that Turner? 

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He registered less than half a season that year.

So other than CT, he did it mainly with Ryan Grant, Doctson, and Crowder at WR, and Niles Paul and Vernon Davis played TE most of the year.

Wow. Also, niles Paul was still on the team?? Seemed like he’s been gone like 5 years now. interesting. 

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Change of direction and "suddenness" are more indicative of rb success than pure speed. 

Agreed on Gibson, though I have to say, Love to me looks more speed than suddenness  and change of direction.

This scheduling issue is starting to get to me a little.  First they’d tell you Inside Training Camp is coming on a certain day, then it isn’t.  Finally it cam on.  Then the name change thing, thinking it would be the permanent name change and not the placeholder.  That changed it seems like overnight.  Then they say there will be a scrimmage.  Only to find out it’s not a scrimmage, it’s a practice.  Only thing I’m certain of is that the season starts Sept. 13th, I think.

2 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

This scheduling issue is starting to get to me a little.  First they’d tell you Inside Training Camp is coming on a certain day, then it isn’t.  Finally it cam on.  Then the name change thing, thinking it would be the permanent name change and not the placeholder.  That changed it seems like overnight.  Then they say there will be a scrimmage.  Only to find out it’s not a scrimmage, it’s a practice.  Only thing I’m certain of is that the season starts Sept. 13th, I think.

Knock on wood, but nobody has been injured, arrested or embarrassed yet. 

6 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Then the name change thing, thinking it would be the permanent name change and not the placeholder.  That changed it seems like overnight.  

That’s on you, in my opinion, for thinking a permanent change could actually be done within just a couple of short months. you let yourself down with unrealistic expectations 😂

that’s all I’ll say on that topic though.

Archived