Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Kyle Allen looked much better than Haskins and if it were a legitimate competition, he should have won the job.

But you know that with Haskins being the 15th overall player taken in his draft class, he was going to get a long long look.  So not to defend Rivera,  but year 1 was a total waste of time in terms of building where the QB was concerned, and had Haskins NOT been in the roster there was a good chance Rivera and company might have taken a QB instead of Chase Young.

we can see how Snyder’s meddling has far reaching consequences that impacts the team for years.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Adam Peters, SF

Alec Halaby, PHI

These would be the first two guys I call.

Brandon Brown Eagles Ian Cunningham Eagles Ed Dodds Colts Brandon Hunt Steelers Will Mclay Cowboys Eliot Wolf Patriots Chat Brinker Packers

No Order 

18 minutes ago, ananoman said:

we can see how Snyder’s meddling has far reaching consequences that impacts the team for years.

Coaches, Quarterbacks, DC's, OC's, VP of Foot Op's, etc etc.  The one common denominator for this era of futility was, is and will always be, Dan Snyder. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Conn said:

This has been gone over a thousand times, for better or worse Rivera took this job with the understanding he’d give Snyder’s pet 1st round QB a chance. That’s what Snyder wanted. And anyways nobody that year thought Herbert was a realistic choice at #2, and Tua had huge injury concerns. Would it have been baller if Rivera said “**** it, I’ve got a gut feeling about this guy”? Sure, but we don’t live in a reality where that was a reasonable expectation of the outcome. 

That’s why it puts even more weight and blame for where we are on Snyder forcing that Haskins pick. The consequences of that bit of idiocy continue to compound as the years go by. 

I agree with this. The 2020 Draft was NEVER going to be QB. Its a silly argument. Having said that he needed to prepare the entirety of the 2020 offseason and season about getting a QB in the 2021 draft. 

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

I agree with this. The 2020 Draft was NEVER going to be QB. Its a silly argument. Having said that he needed to prepare the entirety of the 2020 offseason and season about getting a QB in the 2021 draft. 

Yea, especially for folks that made up their mind we had to use that #2 pick on Young instead of trading down...the group think going into that draft was maddening, even trading down to trade up for a QB in 2021 was blasphemy to most.  

So many people were so convinced of Young's sure fire HOF talent that nobody even considered even an above average QB on a rookie contract would be better for the franchise and rebuild. 

I never saw anything saying Herbert was going to be a bust, jus not a generational talent like Young so we should stay put at #2.

2 hours ago, ananoman said:

But you know that with Haskins being the 15th overall player taken in his draft class, he was going to get a long long look.  So not to defend Rivera,  but year 1 was a total waste of time in terms of building where the QB was concerned, and had Haskins NOT been in the roster there was a good chance Rivera and company might have taken a QB instead of Chase Young.

Just read an old 2020 article talking about how Scott Turner in Carolina was OC for four games:

0-4 record 

outside of garbage time (last 5 mins):

avg 8 points per game

sound familiar? Nothing changed for this guy after this many years, but of course it’s the qb Ron!

some other interesting tidbits in article about nepotism:

https://deadspin.com/dwayne-haskins-sacrificed-for-nfl-nepotism-of-scott-tur-1845339489

• Like 1

This team and it's excuses just get more and more hilarious.

The Patriots, who everyone said had almost a nothing roster before the season started, just beat the Lions 29-0 with a 3rd stringer rook at QB.

And the Jets just put 40 on the dolphins defense with a QB who has pretty much been a total bust.

Cooper Rush is undefeated.

The Giants with a first year coach and no QB are 4-1 and haven't even played the Washington Football Team yet.

But Ron Burgundy says that the other teams have established QBs, that's why they win.

The dude requires a straight jacket, IMHO.

:rofl89:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

I thought the overall four year Shanny stint was the most disappointing as far as underperforming expectations, but right now Riverboat is giving him a run for his money.

Shanny did give you one magical season and for a brief moment; hope.

Ron hasn’t given you that.

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Conn said:

This has been gone over a thousand times, for better or worse Rivera took this job with the understanding he’d give Snyder’s pet 1st round QB a chance. That’s what Snyder wanted. And anyways nobody that year thought Herbert was a realistic choice at #2, and Tua had huge injury concerns. Would it have been baller if Rivera said “**** it, I’ve got a gut feeling about this guy”? Sure, but we don’t live in a reality where that was a reasonable expectation of the outcome. 

That’s why it puts even more weight and blame for where we are on Snyder forcing that Haskins pick. The consequences of that bit of idiocy continue to compound as the years go by. 

Having said all that, if Burrow was there, Ron has basically said he would have taken him.

People forget that Young was the absolute consensus #2 pick in the draft, and in just about any year, he would have gone #1 overall.  Burrow was just sitting there having had the best collegiate season ever.  

What Ron could have probably done is traded down a few spots and picked a QB.

Also, it has never been reported, just speculated, that Ron agreed to give Haskins a chance.  I'm sure he wanted to give Haskins a chance too, because if you have a guy with talent on the team, why not?  But the real shame is I absolutely do not think Haskins starts a game for Ron if there is an off-season in 2020.  If there were mini-camps and OTAs, I think history is very different, because Ron would have had time to see Haskins before having to rush to get him ready in training camp.  But COVID wiped that out.  

There are a few reports here and there some guys liked Herbert, but that was a draft where the consensus order, both internally to the NFL (from what we know) and the pundits was Burrow, Tua, Herbert.  

I'm falling out on Ron, but he has had a bit of bad luck.  Young's injury was just bad dumb luck.  He was really good, then he wasn't, then he got hurt.  No off-season in 2020 due to COVID was bad luck. Fitz getting hurt after 16 plays in 2021 was bad luck. 

3 hours ago, method man said:

Kyle Smith Falcons

He knows what he'd be getting into coming back here

I've never been a Kyle Smith fan.  I get that he was overruled at times by Bruce and Dan, but I think he was over-hyped while he was here because he was the guy in the room who knew mostly what he was talking about.  

Shrug.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Just saw Rivera's, "quarterback," response.  Dude, it is more than that.  YOUR ENTIRE TEAM SUCKS, not just Wentz.  You are also a crappy head coach.  Other teams in the NFC East are more talented top to bottom.

Switch rosters with the Patriots or another handful of teams and they probably win 11 games. (Something that has never happened under this owner)

It's  the curse of Doofus Dan+ bad coaching.  This team just looks like hot garbage.

Hurts was maybe above Daniel Jones going into this season (i felt he was, even if he hadnt proven himself as more then a runner who could pass yet), but not considered better then Dak, and most unbiased opinions still had Wentz over him.

So for Dallas to have their record with an undefeated backup QB, the Giants with a QB so bad they refuse to extend, and Philly a QB some were wondering could even keep a defense honest after Tampa crushed him taking away run and daring him to throw in the playoffs last year...to be a combined 13-2 right now despite all that...

No, it's not QB.  It's bigger then that. It's worse then that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ananoman said:

But you know that with Haskins being the 15th overall player taken in his draft class, he was going to get a long long look.

Rivera benched him after 4 games.  Released him when all they had was a one legged Alex Smith, Heinicke, and Montez on the practice squad.  

I didn't get the sense that Riviera was criticizing Wentz as a quarterback. I think he was pointing out that those other rebuilding NFC East teams had more stability at the quarterback position to build around as they developed their offenses -- at least more than  Washington during the same period

His point was the other teams could develop their quarterback into their systems; meanwhile Washington had to try to work with a  rotating door of QBs ...from all the Smith replacements, to Haskins, Allen, and Heinicke, then to Fitzpatrick, Heinicke, Allen, Gilbert, and finally to Wentz.  As you know,  he determined that many of those QBs of the previous two years wouldn't really work out -- so essentially the development of Washington's franchise QB had to be restarted each year.  And that had implications for developing the offense too.

It's not a great argument, but it has some validity.  Anyhow, I got the sense that Rivera seems to think (or maybe just hopeful?) that he finally has a quarterback with the physical tools to play the position at the level Rivera/Turner feels is needed for Washington to be successful. -- but that they need time for everything to start to click.

Edited by Wyvern