Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

12 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I just can't understand why he won't just sell.

Hes a narcissist, he would have nothing if he sold the team

for him its not about the money he will grasp at every straw to try and prove people wrong, none of it will work as fans we will see the same ole crap over and over again.  

also i feel the thread needs to be retitled its no longer a new start we in year three now...

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bifflog said:

You can tell we've been at this too long, Godwin's law starting to take effect :806:

I'm pretty sure this happened in this thread quite some time ago in fact.

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

A complimentary Wikipedia search for all the old farts, like me, who have no clue what Godwin's Law is...

Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting that as an online discussion grows longer (regardless of topic or scope), the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Adolf Hitler approaches 1.

That's a true law, and I think that there's an organisation that officially gives "points" to people when they do reach the Godwin point.

That being said, Godwin's law and Murphy's law are two of my favorites laws.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Local sponsors dropping isn't going to change a thing. The local sponsorship money is not subject to revenue sharing, I don't believe.  Medliminal dropping it's sponsorship has zero effect on the pocket book of Clark Hunt and Family who own the Chiefs.  Or Jim Irsay.  Or Arthur Blank.

It will hurt the Commander's franchise revenue, which at the end of the day, probably effects the amount of money the team can spend, and it would maybe (MAYBE) effect Dan financially, though given he just bought a $48M house in VA, I don't think he's going to care so much about that.  He's still going to get the mega-money out of the TV revenue sharing deal.  It would be his decision if he wanted to sell because the sponsors were dropping.  And he's not going to make that decision. 

I understand that it's a helpless feeling, but none of this is really going to help dislodge him.  He has a jury of 31 other owners/ownership groups.  They are all wealthy beyond imagination, and will look out for their self interest first.  Unless it is in their best self interest to force Dan out, they won't do it.  

The only way this can happen is if the big national sponsors start putting on pressure.  Otherwise, the easiest thing for them to do is to let Dan twist in the wind and let Rodger handle the fallout.  And that's what I think they're going to do.

I think the Florio thing during the SB was probably he heard from 1 or 2 owners who said Dan was a pain in the ass, and since he desperately wants Dan out, he's trying to speak it into existence. But I doubt there's actually all that much momentum to do something dramatic.  I always have.  

Sorry that's what I meant. State Farm, Budweiser etc have to put pressure on the league.  That is the best way to get change and that campaign is targeting those sponsors too.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

for him its not about the money he will grasp at every straw to try and prove people wrong, none of it will work as fans we will see the same ole crap over and over again.

He also doesn't think he's the problem. He's totally oblivious to his affect on the team.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

also i feel the thread needs to be retitled its no longer a new start we in year three now...

"...also i feel the thread needs to be retitled its no longer a new start we in year three now..."

Agreed.

In keeping with both the prevailing forum zeitgeist and my new favorite term of the day (Godwin's Law) my suggestion for updated thread title is...

"Manifesting the end of Snyder's diabolical Nazi reign of terror."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Anus tart command.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm pretty sure this happened in this thread quite some time ago in fact.

That's a true law, and I think that there's an organisation that officially gives "points" to people when they do reach the Godwin point.

That being said, Godwin's law and Murphy's law are two of my favorites laws.

I am a fan of Murphy's Law too.

Most people only quote the first postulate but there are three, all of equal insight and utility.

1. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

2. Nothing goes according to plan.

3. Everything takes longer than you expect.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bearrock said:

And it's Congress that gets to decide whether a hearing is related to a legislative agenda (and if you don't think it would be laughably easy for Congress to come up with a legislative agenda to connect to Snyder and his team's workplace environment, I don't know what to say.  Snyder will get nowhere by attempting to quash a Congressional subpoena in court by arguing it's not connected to a legislative agenda under Congressional power).

And private entities are hauled before Congress all the time.  You think those CEOs appear before Congress cause they want a tour of DC?  You think roid hearing happened in 2005 cause somebody forgot to tell those players how to get out of attending?

Well, courts don't arrest or imprison people directly either (unless you count courthouse sheriffs, but by that logic each house could technically have the Sergeant at arms arrest the offender).  While referring an individual to the Justice Department for Contempt of Congress may be about "all they can do", it's plenty effective to get people to comply with Congressional directives.

Again, if want to argue that the relatively informal round table format and the lack of a subpoena thus far shows the relative Congressional commitment to this issue, that's one thing.  To assert that Congress lacks the power and means to effectively investigate Snyder is just flat out wrong.

I am not going to go into a blow-by-blow, but I am going to link to a post I wrote a while ago.

This post goes through, in pretty good detail, what congress can and cannot do.  It's based on a Reuter's article.  I think it handles all of your above.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am not going to go into a blow-by-blow, but I am going to link to a post I wrote a while ago.

This post goes through, in pretty good detail, what congress can and cannot do.  It's based on a Reuter's article.  I think it handles all of your above.

The commentary and parsing in your post based on the Reuters article is where the analysis starts to go off the rails.  One, House oversight committee issues their own subpoena (in fact oversight is one of the committees where chairperson authorizes and signs their own subpoena without needing even majority vote of the committee).  And any lawyer stupid enough to argue before SCOTUS that House Oversight Committee has no valid legislative agenda to investigate claims of systemic sexual harassment by one of the entities benefiting from a Federal Antitrust Exemption should be summarily disbarred.  I guarantee you that no attorney for Snyder or the NFL is advising them that the Oversight Committee has no authority to investigate.

The full house votes on contempt, not subpoena.  And flagrant disregard of a duly issued subpoena is not going to get a pass, especially where there's no political figure involved.

And if referred to the DOJ, US attorney isn't going to sit on it because they somehow don't have an interest in investigating Snyder.  Not sure where this conjecture is even coming from.  And a civil enforcement would be slam dunk too.

And no.  No attorney for Snyder or the NFL is advising them that they can entirely ignore Congress if they want to.  I'm assuming they didn't hire Lionel Hutz.

Any attorney with even a modicum of understanding on Congressional investigation would tell the NFL that the fact that this started as a roundtable shows that it's not a big agenda for the committee yet.  Give them every appearance of cooperation  (and throw Snyder under the bus if you have to).  Because the worst thing to do in this situation would be to flip the bird at the committee and piss them off.  That's how you make a small agenda into a big agenda.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Most people only quote the first postulate but there are three, all of equal insight and utility.

Yeah. I'm applying this whenever I can. Especially in my job.

Though my bosses seems to have troubles understanding this.

And obviously Dan still hasn't got it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bearrock said:

The commentary and parsing in your post based on the Reuters article is where the analysis starts to go off the rails.  One, House oversight committee issues their own subpoena (in fact oversight is one of the committees where chairperson authorizes and signs their own subpoena without needing even majority vote of the committee).  And any lawyer stupid enough to argue before SCOTUS that House Oversight Committee has no valid legislative agenda to investigate claims of systemic sexual harassment by one of the entities benefiting from a Federal Antitrust Exemption should be summarily disbarred.  I guarantee you that no attorney for Snyder or the NFL is advising them that the Oversight Committee has no authority to investigate.

The full house votes on contempt, not subpoena.  And flagrant disregard of a duly issued subpoena is not going to get a pass, especially where there's no political figure involved.

And if referred to the DOJ, US attorney isn't going to sit on it because they somehow don't have an interest in investigating Snyder.  Not sure where this conjecture is even coming from.  And a civil enforcement would be slam dunk too.

And no.  No attorney for Snyder or the NFL is advising them that they can entirely ignore Congress if they want to.  I'm assuming they didn't hire Lionel Hutz.

Any attorney with even a modicum of understanding on Congressional investigation would tell the NFL that the fact that this started as a roundtable shows that it's not a big agenda for the committee yet.  Give them every appearance of cooperation  (and throw Snyder under the bus if you have to).  Because the worst thing to do in this situation would be to flip the bird at the committee and piss them off.  That's how you make a small agenda into a big agenda.

Yes, it might not have been clear, but the committee can issue a subpoena.  I get that.  If ignored, the whole house would have to vote on contempt.

If you go back over the past several years, for political reasons, several people have simply ignored the House subpoenas, and really nothing has come of it.  And it should be noted that no subpoena has yet been issued.  The committee has demanded stuff, and the NFL has provided some of it.  They want the Beth Wilkinson report.  They haven't gotten it.  And they never will.  They want work papers from the Wilkinson report, and they're not going to get those either.  They've already asked for things which they haven't (and are not going to) get.  

And if Congress turned the matter over to the District Attorney, they have to choose whether they want to take the case and investigate or not.  Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't.  But that becomes a Justice Department decision and action, not a Congressional one.  

My overall point is Congress itself cannot really DO anything other than be an irritant.  Unless they are willing to open up the nuclear option of changing the NFL's anit-trust and tax exemptions. Now if they could bring THAT arrow out of the quiver, then we will start to have some serious discussions.  And FWIW, when Congress was investigating the Baseball Steroid thing, the reason they were able to do it is because they absolutely threatened the "National Pastime" status (and all of the fiduciary benefits that go along with it) as the key legislative agenda item to support all of the hearing.  

Up until that point, the NFL will basically do the bare minimum necessary to placate the committee chairs.  

And I'm absolutely convinced that Dan's lawyers are telling him to stall.  Stall as much as humanly possible, because there's a shooting chance Congress switches hands in the next election, and if it does, this issue is dropped.  

The NFL will be more cooperative.  As long as it's in their best interest to be so.  

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Pretty much sums up my experience installing my first ceiling fan in a house back in 2000.   🤣

Thankfully fans 2-5 went up much faster and with less drama.  

• Haha 1

Congress isn't the end-all be-all.  Congress wasn't involved in the name change or the initial Wilkinson investigation.  Sponsors mattered, society mattered, and the NFL is on a better track per the Super Bowl ratings.  Having a nagging injury that is Dan Snyder can be just something to get rid of and get into a new era.

That's what I want to be true, anyway.

On 2/17/2022 at 7:26 PM, spjunkies said:

I just can't understand why he won't just sell. He purchased the team for 700 million, had his fun for 20 years.

Dunning-Kruger with Murphy's touch, that's why ;). His Ego prevents him to think of consequences before he makes decidions. This sociopath thinks he's always right and the world is wrong, hence he will never sell unless he is forced to.

Edited by FrFan
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you go back over the past several years, for political reasons, several people have simply ignored the House subpoenas, and really nothing has come of it. 

There might just be a slight difference between subpoenas issued to a sitting President and members of his staff and a subpoena issued to a private entity and individual.  I assume even Snyder isn't stupid enough to go to all the way to SCOTUS and assert executive privilege.

And it should be noted that no subpoena has yet been issued.  The committee has demanded stuff, and the NFL has provided some of it.  They want the Beth Wilkinson report.  They haven't gotten it.  And they never will.  They want work papers from the Wilkinson report, and they're not going to get those either.  They've already asked for things which they haven't (and are not going to) get.  

The fact that committee has not yet issued a subpoena or held a formal hearing indicates the relative importance they are attaching to this issue.  But that pertains to what Congress will do, not what Congress can do.  If they want it bad enough and want the fight, traditional Congressional position has been that common law privileges including attorney client privilege doesn't apply to Congressional subpoenas.  SCOTUS has largely spoken on this only through dicta, generally receptive on the concept if unclear on the exact contours.  Does that mean Congress wants to fight the NFL and Snyder on the issue of Attorney-Client Privilege?  Probably not.  Does it mean Congress will leverage the threat to induce maximum degree of voluntary cooperation on non-privileged info?  Pretty much.

And if Congress turned the matter over to the District Attorney, they have to choose whether they want to take the case and investigate or not.  Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't.  But that becomes a Justice Department decision and action, not a Congressional one.  

By this logic, nothing Congress or the courts do have any meaning.  No laws or orders get enforced without the executive branch.  Doesn't mean that executive branch is in the habit of ignoring referrals and directives from co-equal branches of government.

My overall point is Congress itself cannot really DO anything other than be an irritant. 

Multibillion dollar corporations are not in the habit of voluntary cooperating with Congressional committees and hearings because they are afraid of irritation from Congress.  CEOs of global conglomerates don't voluntarily attend Congressional hearings because they are afraid that lest they attend, Congress will bring down the hammer on their industry. 

You want to do what you can to head off a full blown Congressional investigation.  NFL didn't voluntarily turn over unsubpoenaed documents and point the finger at Snyder because they were afraid of an irritation.

And yes Snyder and the NFL will stall and issue will get dropped once GOP takes over the house.  This unfortunately is the most likely outcome.  But it's not because Congress lacks the power or Congressional investigation lacks the teeth to get to the bottom of it all.  Thus my point from the beginning: let's not confuse what Congress won't do with what Congress can't do.  

And if the football gods answer DC fans' prayers, other owners might just think that Snyder is a moron who nearly triggered a Congressional investigation and is no longer worth the trouble or the exposure.  It's a long shot, but it's pretty much the only thing DC has left to hope for at this point.

• Like 1