Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I figured Kyle Smith was 2-3 years away from getting the GM position. Just last year he received a promotion and increased responsibility. To make another leap so quickly seemed premature and this was validated by the lack of interviews he had for other openings.

With two additional successful drafts under his watch which would coincide with our team winning on the field. That combination would lead to another rebuilding franchise trying to acquire his talent as they rebuild.

I never read to much into him not getting an interview for the GM position because in all reality he has been interviewing since Ron arrived. The conversations, meetings and performance has been on display very clearly to Ron... just not to us as there appears to be a grey area on who did exactly what.

Last night I went to bed with the thought that even with Martin and Marty on board that Kyle could stay. My thought was in another year or two he could elevate to the assistant GM position which remains open and if necessary Marty retires, Martin takes the Exec VPP role and Kyle would take over as GM. Same voices in the room, Kyle gets groomed..everyone is happy with titles etc. Also we need to consider Ron has a five year contract and we appear close. He doesn't want to babysit and groom; if Kyle were to remain with the organization that long then it would be on Ron's second contract that the above scenario would come to fruition.

Apparently I was naive..but I'm also not going to get all bent out of shape for someone who we don't know how much or little were able to accomplish. I still figure he should be aiming for the asst GM role in the next year or two after learning from Martin and Marty.  Then he could secure the GM position here or somewhere else and have the requisite experience and track record to do so.

Edited by SkinsFootball

You just gotta put yourself in Kyle's shoes.  I know, if I was auditioning for a year for a job, and then get to the end of the long evaluation period and the boss essentially says "there's no chance in hell", I'm looking for the exits at that point.  There's no path here, why would you wanna stick around?  Now, Ron could be 100% correct and maybe Kyle isn't a good fit, isn't up for the job yet, whatever.  I went into this season the #1 contender, or so I thought, come out of it and Mayhew falls outta the sky and gets the job, Stoke has seemingly vaulted in front of me, Hurney's looming doing lord knows what.  Check please, it's been fun.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Interest in a lateral move is different than interest as a GM

It is, but at the same time, the "no interest" talks were to say that he's not that important, nobody really wants him. I'd say the moment he turns available, people are calling in for him shows that he's pretty important to someone.

I don't know how good he really is, so I'll continue to withhold judgement, but slamming the door shut in Kyle's face for the sake of Martin Mayhew, the architect of the Lions mediocrity from 2008-15? I would much rather get someone with a better track record or a brighter future.

Remember when the best selling points were that Hurney isn't that big a worry, he's old, he picked a good string of 1st rounders, and best of all he won't actually touch personnel to use his 1st rounder skills? ayyyyyyyyy lmao

Edited by NickyJ

8 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Interest in a lateral move is different than interest as a GM

True, however, it's interest nonetheless.  It's other teams feeling like they can poach talent and add it to their pipeline and going out of their way to get it.  Kinda like getting a backup QB into your building because you know what he could be in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Who didn't see this coming.  The pipeline here is basically slammed shut. If he needs seasoning, I don't blame him for wanting to get it somewhere else.

Rams, 49ers, GB who each have an ex-redskins coach that is doing well as a head coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I would much rather get someone with a better track record or a brighter future.

Sure, but those guys require fresh slates where they build the FO around them from the ground up, hire the HC, and have final say on the roster. This organization is all-in on Rivera so we’re stuck with the guys he thinks can compliment him best—we’ll see how it goes, but many here feel the same way you and I do. Now we observe.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jsharrin55 said:

Rams, 49ers, GB who each have an ex-redskins coach that is doing well as a head coach.

All guys that at least were familiar with his work and know what he can do.  Now, he was just a scout back in those days, so i don't know how much interaction there would've been, or how much influence he would've had.  Probably not much, I guess.  But still, can't be a coincidence that 3 ex-Skins coaches all want him. 

41 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

And the Raiders have the brother of the most recent Redskins/WFT head coach not named Rivera.... got connections all over the place

45 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Yep, this Kyle Smith being shipped out the door is sickening to me as a fan of his.  Stokes takes over his responsibilities I'm sure.  He interviewed for the GM position.  Sure that RR let Stokes know that when he interviewed him and let him know his plan of hiring Mayhew as GM and Hurney taking over Kyle's position and saying were gonna groom you to be our future GM.  Reading the tea leaves.  🤮.  I'll be a fan of the team Kyle goes to along with this team.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'll be a fan of the team Kyle goes to along with this team.  

That’s just sad and pathetic if a scout leaving is your breaking point with this team, and not the other far more heinous things that have happened the past 25 years.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

That’s just sad and pathetic if a scout leaving is your breaking point with this team, and not the other far more heinous things that have happened the past 25 years.

Uh No.  I am always a fan of the Skins but I will root for whoever Kyle Smith ends up becoming a GM for in the future.  

Every move Snyder has made in 20 years is the wrong move.  Literally every time!  Kyle Shanahan Redskins OC, John Schneider, Redskins VP of Player Personnel; Matt LaFleur, Redskins QB coach; Sean McVay, Redskins OC. Now add Kyle Smith VP of Player Personnel as another guy leaving that will land with a better organization under better ownership and succeed.  It’s pretty remarkable.  These just aren’t guys to leave.  We are talking about Schneider has helped Seahawks to a handful of SB appearances over the years.  almost like Snyder does these things on purpose.  McVay & Shanahan have already coached teams in the SB & LaFleur is well on his way this year.  He identifies quality guys with potential and purposely gets rid of them.  Fires Marty Schottenheimer a proven successful head coach for Steve Spurrier.  What a catastrophe.  He brings Joe Gibbs out of retirement but pairs him with dufus Vinny Cerrato and they don’t value draft picks trading away picks for over the hill players left and right.  Just terrible way to try and build a team. Then he hires Jim Zorn which was obviously stupid.  Then brings in Mike Shanahan but ties his hands behind his back by forcing him to trade a fortune for RG3 who Shanahan didn’t even want.  Pairs Shanahan with Bruce Allen, as usual marriage ends horribly and then brings in the drunken Scot McCloughan who Bruce Allen uses as scapegoat ends up firing him.  You have to agree.  This is mind numbing incompetence from the worst sports owner in all of history.  Just like with Mike Shanahan he hires Ron Rivera another successful head coach who commands respect.  This is a cycle.  He will continuously push talent out of the building because he only surrounds himself with yes men who will draft the guys he wants from behind the scenes.  Kyle Smith is gone because it’s obvious he’s a young bright up and comer.  Just like McVay, Shanahan & LaFleur.  It’s so blatantly obvious at this point.  Sad yet hilarious.

• Like 2

I've been on the Kyle Smith bandwagon for years.  Yet i am fine with this.  I said the same thing about Kyle when Rivera arrived.   That is, I want anything that Rivera wants.  Now if Rivera fails I'll judge him then.  He's won coach of the year twice.  He's smart.  I trust his integrity and drive to change the culture here.  I think Sheehan said it well which is if you back Rivera you got to back him here.  And I do. 

I get the mindset of people not liking having anyone with that kind of power.  But the more I think about it, i am 100% on board with him having that power in the contex of this team and more directly Dan.  The dude unlikely would have come here if not for given that type of power.  We'd have had probably Marvin Lewis as coach and Bruce Allen running this team.  And I'd think the culture would be exactly the way its been in the past.

I don't mind Rivera's guys overrunning that building.  We've not had that really ever before.  Dan has always had minions in that building.  

Now as for the two specific hires.  Delving into both.  I think they've both been OK.  Grant Paulsen who is probably the most hung up media guy as to get the next up and comer personnel guy and harps on it a lot -- checked with people he knows about Mayhew and heard a lot of good things. 

Its been said that Hurney doesn't consider himself (even though he dives deep into it) a scouting guru and does rely some on others on that front, has built strong scouting staffs including hiring the current GM of the year (according to one outfit), Beane.

I'll let it play out.  No anger from me about any of it.   I want to build a culture that is predicated by class (along with the winning) and both guys apparently are really good people and smart.  I've in recent years could care less about employing people with a connection to this team's glory years.  I feel differently though in this context.   I like the fact that Hurney worked with Beathard and saw this team in its glory.  I like that Mayhew had as well.  When you put that in the context of both worked elsewhere and has seen how other teams have rolled, and that Rivera wants the FO to be partners in changing the culture, I like it. 

Will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I don't know how good he really is, so I'll continue to withhold judgement, but slamming the door shut in Kyle's face for the sake of Martin Mayhew, the architect of the Lions mediocrity from 2008-15? I would much rather get someone with a better track record or a brighter future.

I actually think it’s worse that Hurney was plugged above him.  If Ron went Mayhew at GM and left Hurney to retire, I’d get that.  Mayhew wouldn’t be my first, second or third choice for GM, but I could atleast understand his experience vs. Kyles lack of it.  But to bring in Hurney to replace Kyle just smells like mediocrity for the sake of familiarity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Suppose this scenario played out.  Ron goes to Snyder to go over the guys Ron wants to interview and Snyder says to Ron- " I do not care who you pick as long as 

you do not pick Kyle for General Manager because one year when we were drafting Haskins he yelled at me in front of everyone in the draft room for insisting on picking

Haskins in the first round."  So Ron walks away smiling knowing he can pick his buddy Hurney and knowing that Gibbs will endorse Mayhew if Snyder calls Gibbs about

Mayhew.  So suddenly there is no high level decision maker expressing the desire to interview Kyle at all.