Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Rivera got fired by the Bears as DC and Panthers as HC.

Yep. The "he's been fired twice" argument doesn't work that well. Plenty of people have been fired in the NFL and found success elsewhere. Andy Reid anyone?

I'm happy to hear the reports of another person coming in with Hurney. He seems alright - which is an upgrade for this team considering what we've dealt with the past 20 years. But I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens before I pass judgment. Rivera's earned that much.

13 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

In February 2007, it was announced that Rivera's contract with the Bears would not be extended due to failed negotiations.[15] Around the same time, he interviewed for several vacant head coaching positions around the league, including with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys.

Is this considered being fired?

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

In February 2007, it was announced that Rivera's contract with the Bears would not be extended due to failed negotiations.[15] Around the same time, he interviewed for several vacant head coaching positions around the league, including with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys.

Is this considered being fired?

In the simple-minded, reactionary world we live in, not-extended=fired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What I’m saying is the dude got fired by the same team TWICE 🤣

29 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

Yep. The "he's been fired twice" argument doesn't work that well. Plenty of people have been fired in the NFL and found success elsewhere. Andy Reid anyone?

I'm happy to hear the reports of another person coming in with Hurney. He seems alright - which is an upgrade for this team considering what we've dealt with the past 20 years. But I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens before I pass judgment. Rivera's earned that much.

Dude, how many people have ever been fired by a team Only to later be brought back in for the same position a few years later by the same team and get fired again??? Lolol

Another thing that is hilarious about all of this is that after all the years without a GM they FINALLY bring one in but he’s brought in to work for the Head Coach lolol What a pathetic organization!

Edited by -JB-

3 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Maybe we’re getting 3 GMs?  It should make the conference discussions incredible.  

If they hire a personnel guy I can’t see how Smith fits in unless my previous assumption was wrong and Hurney isn’t in DC for anything other than day to day admin stuff. If they hire a personnel guy maybe it’s to oversee Rivera’s role in personnel... and Smith keeps doing what he does?

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If they hire a personnel guy I can’t see how Smith fits in unless my previous assumption was wrong and Hurney isn’t in DC for anything other than day to day admin stuff. If they hire a personnel guy maybe it’s to oversee Rivera’s role in personnel... and Smith keeps doing what he does?

Snyder is such an imbecile.  He still has fans believing anybody other than himself has total control of this **** show.  Nothing has changed.  You normally hire a GM to run the football side of the operations.  You don’t hire a Head Coach to run everything and have him hire a GM.  They are just slapping the title GM on this guy without him having traditional GM powers.  It’s just stupid and so transparent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Snyder is such an imbecile.  He still has fans believing anybody other than himself has total control of this **** show.  Nothing has changed.  You normally hire a GM to run the football side of the operations.  You don’t hire a Head Coach to run everything and have him hire a GM.  They are just slapping the title GM on this guy without him having traditional GM powers.  It’s just stupid and so transparent.

I get it. There's plenty of reason historically to be pessimistic with things we do. I'm keeping an open mind out of A.) Trust in Ron and what the players say about him this past year and B.) The nice feeling of hope that I have after this year considering the young talent we have. I can't blame you if you're jaded, though.

6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I mean as long as all do their duties what’s the issue?  Ron should have final say on roster.  Hurney obviously doesn’t know squat about scouting but is good in the other aspects so we need other a personnel person or you are hoping Kyle is that.  Pretty sure Ron trying to get the front office filled shows he doesn’t want to manage everything. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

I'm gonna keep beating this drum. I respect Ron and the work he does but I don't think the hiring staff process is the way I like.

Jason Wright, who was a totally outsider, was hired because he was the best man for the job. Or at least it looks like it right now.

I feel that the Ron hires are more. I know this guy. I like to work with this guy. Lets take him. Instead of this is the best guy. 

Only reason I can come up with. Is that the other GMs wanted roster management and Ron wanted to keep that or let Kyle do that part. That they we just looking for a contract and other stuff guy. 

• Thanks 1

Funny that Kyle's dad A.J. Smith ended his career with the Redskins in 2015 as a consultant (and came to Washington 2 years after Kyle had already started as a scout in 2011) and Marty started his NFL career in 1988 with the Redskins as a PR person. And during the decades in between both A.J. and Marty both served as either GM or assistant GM with the Chargers (though it seems as though they never worked together in SD). I'll bet that A.J. and Marty are close friends and that Marty has a great relationship with Kyle and this is all about grooming Kyle which probably started when A.J. came as a consultant in 2013.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, slinky said:

Funny that Kyle's dad A.J. Smith ended his career with the Redskins in 2015 as a consultant (and came to Washington 2 years after Kyle had already started as a scout in 2011) and Marty started his NFL career in 1988 with the Redskins as a PR person. And during the decades in between both A.J. and Marty both served as either GM or assistant GM with the Chargers (though it seems as though they never worked together in SD). I'll bet that A.J. and Marty are close friends and that Marty has a great relationship with Kyle and this is all about grooming Kyle which probably started when A.J. came as a consultant in 2013.

This is what I was wondering myself. I didn't think about the previous relationship part (Ron being in San Diego also comes to mind). But hearing the stories about Hurney falling on the sword for Ron to get a real shot to right the ship in 2012 kinda makes me feel like he's a humble guy who is just the right mindset to help teach a young assistant gm the ins and outs of being a GM. 

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah.  The reports that they may be hiring a second candidate from the GM short list (presumably a personnel guy) and the fact that they interviewed Eric Stokes but not Kyle Smith for the position both make me question Smith's future with the franchise.  I trust Rivera more than I have trusted our head coach in the past 10 maybe 20 years but that doesn't mean he won't make some mistakes along the way.  I'm in the camp that is less than thrilled with Hurney as the pick for GM.  If we lose Kyle Smith in the process I will be concerned about the long term implications of the decision and whether we took a step in the wrong direction.  The narrative of Hurney keeping the seat warm for Smith to take over in a couple of years doesn't seem consistent with the reports being circulated or the actions of the team.

Edited by Long Time Fan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is what I was wondering myself. I didn't think about the previous relationship part (Ron being in San Diego also comes to mind). But hearing the stories about Hurney falling on the sword for Ron to get a real shot to right the ship in 2012 kinda makes me feel like he's a humble guy who is just the right mindset to help teach a young assistant gm the ins and outs of being a GM. 

Ah I forgot Rivera was the DC for the Chargers WHILE Kyle's dad was still the GM... and it looks like A.J. groomed Ron to be a head coach and now Ron is helping groom A.J.'s son Kyle to the GM.

20 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

I get it. There's plenty of reason historically to be pessimistic with things we do. I'm keeping an open mind out of A.) Trust in Ron and what the players say about him this past year and B.) The nice feeling of hope that I have after this year considering the young talent we have. I can't blame you if you're jaded, though.

I mean just last year Snyder hand picked Haskins.  Nothing has ever changed or ever will unless he’s forced to sell the team.  No faux organizational structure he tries to conjure up can ever fool me into believing otherwise.