Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

34 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Trent says he has no issues with the owner or any of the players.

Strange words about Rivera - claims Rivera wanted him to "prove himself" ?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30492608/san-francisco-49ers-trent-williams-says-grudges-washington-football-team

Yeah story just is what it is. Trent had beef with Bruce and Hess. They're both gone now. Ron wanted to evaluate everyone on a clean slate, including guys who had already made names for themselves: Trent preferred to go somewhere that already valued him. Two divergent goals, nothing wrong with that. Just kinda sad for us as fans, but honestly, Trent's career here was in a very unsuccessful era for the franchise. So while it kinda sucks that he left, it's not like the Williams-era Skins engender any warm and fuzzies or nostalgia for the glory days. He was here 2010-2018. Two playoff appearances, zero wins. A very forgettable era for the team. 

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Yeah story just is what it is. Trent had beef with Bruce and Hess. They're both gone now. Ron wanted to evaluate everyone on a clean slate, including guys who had already made names for themselves: Trent preferred to go somewhere that already valued him. Two divergent goals, nothing wrong with that. Just kinda sad for us as fans, but honestly, Trent's career here was in a very unsuccessful era for the franchise. So while it kinda sucks that he left, it's not like the Williams-era Skins engender any warm and fuzzies or nostalgia for the glory days. He was here 2010-2018. Two playoff appearances, zero wins. A very forgettable era for the team. 

So Trent would have stayed, if Rivera had not have insisted on re-evaluating him ?

That's a bummer.

I mean what logic can you have for wanting to re-evaluate TW ? DId Ron think that TW might have lost a step in his ability, after the year off or something ?

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So Trent would have stayed, if Rivera had not have insisted on re-evaluating him ?

That's a bummer.

I mean what logic can you have for wanting to re-evaluate TW ? DId Ron think that TW might have lost a step in his ability, after the year off or something ?

Based on what I remember, Ron's purported stance felt like "I'm here to build this program from the ground up, including everything from athletic performance to culture, so I'm going to evaluate everyone personally and everyone is going to have a clean slate. We're all starting from scratch"

That tracks with no contract extensions, even for guys like Kerrigan and Scherff who otherwise would have been in line to get one. For Trent, perhaps given the other circumstances around his relationship with the organization, he wasn't down for that. It's kind of like you're expecting an apology, and instead a 3rd party comes in and says let's just start from square 1. But if you feel aggrieved, that may not work for you. You might need to feel the love a little more. 

For Ron, he probably didn't have the clearest picture on what happened and didn't want to go on hearsay. But more importantly, he probably just didn't consider it a deal-breaker considering Trent was on the wrong side of 30, hadn't played in a year, had dealt with consistent injury issues and had his own discipline issues in the past. The reality is, aside from the emotional bonds for us fans, losing Trent wasn't really that big a deal. It wasn't insignificant, of course, but it wasn't nearly as bad as something like hypothetically losing McLaurin would have been (or something similarly jaw-dropping). It's just a bummer for us as fans who hold onto those squishier emotional aspects.    

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's a bummer.

It's possible.  But let's not pretend what Ron was doing as a slight to TW. He also let Kerrigan go into this year without an extension.  

Truth is, Ron let everyone know from the start that every player in that locker room was auditioning this season to be apart of this team (and more importantly, who wanted to be on this team) moving forward under this new regime. 

He wouldn't have had the same respect from these players had he just caved in to TW. And IMO,  that shouldn't have been an issue with Trent considering the problems he had with former staff were no longer with the team. 

It is what it is. TW was a great player for us during a bad stretch, but he wanted out and took offense to being asked to "prove himself". And while I have no problem with TW, we all spend our lives having to prove ourselves in a plethora of ways from time to time. He chose to think he shouldn't have to (even being a year removed from playing). I see no issue with what Ron asked of him or any other player when inheriting a perennial dumpster fire. 

As far as I'm concerned,  it's paying off and we're seeing a very different team than what we saw when TW was here. These players believe in what Ron is preaching. And TW is elsewhere and not here to experience it. The grass isn't always greener. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

It's possible.  But let's not pretend what Ron was doing as a slight to TW. He also let Kerrigan go into this year without an extension.  

Truth is, Ron let everyone know from the start that every player in that locker room was auditioning this season to be apart of this team (and more importantly, who wanted to be on this team) moving forward under this new regime. 

He wouldn't have had the same respect from these players had he just caved in to TW. And IMO,  that shouldn't have been an issue with Trent considering the problems he had with former staff were no longer with the team. 

It is what it is. TW was a great player for us during a bad stretch, but he wanted out and took offense to being asked to "prove himself". And while I have no problem with TW, we all spend our lives having to prove ourselves in a plethora of ways from time to time. He chose to think he shouldn't have to (even being a year removed from playing). I see no issue with what Ron asked of him or any other player when inheriting a perennial dumpster fire. 

As far as I'm concerned,  it's paying off and we're seeing a very different team than what we saw when TW was here. These players believe in what Ron is preaching. And TW is elsewhere and not here to experience it. The grass isn't always greener. 

It's also worth noting that we have the same record as the 9'ers and likely have more paths to the playoffs than they do, since we can win our division but they're last in theirs and probably need to get in as a WC. I know things would have likely been different had Garoppolo been healthy but still. I'm not hating on Trent though, really. He wanted to go to a team that would show him the love, and he got that. I'm just not crying over his departure, either. And I agree with you that the grass ain't always greener.

Edited by CapsSkins

Logan Thomas and J.D. McKissic far exceeded their contract value. Almost as important, the team recognized a misstep in Sean Davis and cut him after training camp. 

Ron Rivera, Scott Turner and tight ends coach Pete Hoener deserve plenty of credit for the development of those players, but so does Kyle Smith and the front office. 

Couple that with strong work in the draft the past few seasons and Smith's profile is rising across the NFL. 

"I think he’s done a nice job for us," Rivera said last week of Smith. 

\

In consecutive drafts, Smith's team has absolutely nailed their third-round pick - Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gibson respectively. The team has drafted other late-round pieces in Cole Holcomb, Kam Curl, Tim Settle and Chase Roullier since Smith has been running college scouting. 

Chase Young was an obvious selection and, while reports show Smith was overruled by ownership on the 2019 selection of Dwayne Haskins, it was Smith that steered the trade to grab Montez Sweat later in the first round. 

Here's the thing - Smith is not technically Washington's general manager. He basically is but doesn't have that title. 

Ron Rivera is the boss, he's the deciding vote, but plenty of teams with coach-centric philosophies have a GM. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

RE: Trent, sorry to see him leave but totally understand it. The man gave us all he had for years, was a great player and might have had a storied end to his career here, but at the same time I understand just having taken too much for too long. I feel like Ron did the best he could by letting him go and not trying to hold someone up over it, he showed Trent more respect in that regard than Bruce ever did.

I sincerely hope that Trent means what he said about no hard feelings. I know I don't have any and wish him well, hope he stays healthy and gets back to happy again. 

Clean slate sometimes means letting go of good stuff too. A new team, a new roster with a new tude and a new direction is worth it.

And while I'm runnin my yap, major kudos to JDR. He may be a cranky guy in person but has sure gotten our D to rise up and play some serious ball lately. Ron gets a lot of love because he is way more lovable than DelRio but credit where credit's due, the man has delivered. There are still obvious weaknesses on that side of the ball but he has done a masterful job as of late in making the whole thing work.

Watch us bring in some Carolina goon to take over Kyle Smiths position just because we're reluctant to give someone the GM title. We're going to see just how big of a mess this team really is in for the long haul this offseason. Kyle will take a lot of the scout team he put together anywhere he goes, it wouldn't be him just leaving.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

16 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Watch us bring in some Carolina goon to take over Kyle Smiths position just because we're reluctant to give someone the GM title. We're going to see just how big of a mess this team really is in for the long haul this offseason. Kyle will take a lot of the scout team he put together anywhere he goes, it wouldn't be him just leaving.

quite possible. 50/50 for me on Kyles long term future here.

42 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What do you base this on?

55 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

What do you base this on?

Ben Standig article for TheAthletic. It just made it appear that Ron is somewhat lukewarm on Kyle Smith and when I thought about it, it does appear that way to me. I could be looking into it too deeply but we always see control issues with this organization and there's a chance this could be a Mike Shanahan type of situation if its not handled properly. 

If the main reason for getting Ron here was roster control (i'm assuming this is the case) Dan screwed himself over with a young and upcoming guy like Kyle Smith. It would just be incredibly annoying if two grown adults can't put their talents together and build a roster, like if Ron HAS to have his guy come in, it would be irritating. 

Again, this is all speculation on my behalf up to this point, my opinion is basically from that article. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 11:04 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's a bummer.

“Evaluate” = not willing to give an extension. Trent wanted an extension or a new contract to come back and Ron wasn’t going to commit new money to Trent before he saw him play in this system with his coaches and made sure he was one of the guys he wanted around.  

And I don’t blame Ron.  Trent sat out an entire year and was openly critical about everything, it’s not unreasonable to ask a guy to play out his contract in that situation before giving him a new contract. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera definitely seems to be bouncing back from his tough year. Combined with an upturn in results, sure seems more upbeat publicly.

If you haven't listened to the John Keim podcast from last Thursday where he describes what he was going through with Cancer treatment, that might answer the public demeanor issue. 

• Thanks 1