Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

34 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Coverage ability is certainly important. I think the board could also push a top CB to us and I I’d rather have an awesome top 3 CB’s with lesser LB play. Imagine playing 3 great CB’s behind this DL.

In terms of the linebackers, while I do want them to be able to cover. I’d love two add 2 LB’s that are also studs against the run. For having so much DT talent, teams tend to be able to run on us. I’m sure part of that is scheme. But, if we could consistently stone the run, and make teams one dimensional, they’d be forced to try to pass more, playing right into the hands of our pass rush. 

The interior of Allen and Payne are elite in run defense, about as good as you'll find for four man front DTs, they're both 60+ tackle DTs. if I had to choose one trait over another I'm going with an elite pass coverage LBer, of course it would be nice to have both. There's no way Rivera or Del Rio are going to put someone who is a liability out there in run defense anyways. 

14 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The interior of Allen and Payne are elite in run defense, about as good as you'll find for four man front DTs, they're both 60+ tackle DTs. if I had to choose one trait over another I'm going with an elite pass coverage LBer, of course it would be nice to have both. There's no way Rivera or Del Rio are going to put someone who is a liability out there in run defense anyways. 

You’re making my point. Our DT’s are very good and our run defense isn’t. The reason for that isn’t a mystery. I’d love a LB that can do both. I think Micah Parsons has the athleticism to do that. Jamin Davis also rated very well against the run and clearly has the length and athleticism to be good against the pass. 

JOK looks like a unicorn in terms of his coverage ability. Would be so helpful in the nickel. 

Love Zaven Collins. I can’t wait to see his pro day numbers. I’m expecting good, but not great. 

12 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

You’re making my point. Our DT’s are very good and our run defense isn’t. The reason for that isn’t a mystery. I’d love a LB that can do both. I think Micah Parsons has the athleticism to do that. Jamin Davis also rated very well against the run and clearly has the length and athleticism to be good against the pass. 

JOK looks like a unicorn in terms of his coverage ability. Would be so helpful in the nickel. 

Love Zaven Collins. I can’t wait to see his pro day numbers. I’m expecting good, but not great. 

Who is this JOK I keep seeing? Don't know what the acronym means...

22 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We played the most difficult dual threat QBs in the league this season, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, and Kyler Murray, they were able to run on us because we don't have a LBer that is able to run sideline to sideline fast enough. The only RB that had 100 yards against us that I recall was Nick Chubb, there were a 1 or 2 that got 80 or 90 yards on us. Where we really struggle with is mobile QBs, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray killed us with their legs. We need a faster guy in the middle but who is good in space and can spy on these QBs because Holcomb isn't the answer there. 

Parsons has the athleticism but it would be like asking Curl to play Free Safety. Why would we do that when he's so good in the box and covering TEs? The same would apply for Parsons, he isn't comfortable in coverage and truly excels at going after the QB, RB, and getting TFLs, so having him in coverage wouldn't be ideal. I remember the Steelers game where we couldn't sack Ben because the ball was out in less than 1.5 seconds. Teams would auto-revert to that I think if we had a LBer with a coverage issue in the middle. 

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Grimes is super underrated, IMO.  He could be had in the 5th maybe 6th round and surprise a lot of teams. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My guy I'd like to see us get in the 2nd if Darrisaw is gone at #19 of course if the WFT passes on Jones if he's available at #19. 

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Is there a player that hasn't run a sub 4.5 time? I feel like Darrell Green in his prime could have ran a 3.5/40 with these generous stopwatches.

This. Most lopsided 40 times in the history of NFL draft workouts. There is no way in hell all of these guys are sub 4.4.

I’m starting to settle on Darrisaw as our best case scenario. And I don’t think he’s going to be there. I’d consider a move up, but it’s tough because there are so many players I like in the middle rounds this year. 

I feel like you. I want Darrisaw, but think he will be gone. If that happens because Farley is falling to #19, I think we need to take Farley. Even if it means he misses some TC or preseason.

14 minutes ago, mudhog said:

I feel like you. I want Darrisaw, but think he will be gone. If that happens because Farley is falling to #19, I think we need to take Farley. Even if it means he misses some TC or preseason.

I think the pureblood LOT guys will all be gone- AVT, Cosmi could still be there.  Farley could easily be BPA- I would like the pick.

I’m not sure if it has or has not happened, but I’m putting my LTD offer out to Scherff with whatever numbers I’m comfortable with and letting him know if he doesn’t take it we are drafting his replacement, and the deal won’t be on the table in 2022. 

Draft AVT or Cosmi in 1st or an OG later and let them compete with Saadiq Charles with the loser playing LG. Get a comp pick for Scherff 

Looks like he plays with attitude. Looks good in coverage and has a nose for the ball. 

I’m calling BS on 4.37. He looks much less sudden and fast than Parsons and JOK. Look at his INT at the 1:00 mark. He’s not running like an elite CB there. In fact, there is a guy form his own team gaining ground on him super fast. 

He’s obviously a good athlete. I love long jump as a measure of athleticism. But he’s not Parsons fast. He’s not a guy that runs like a 4.37 guy on the field with pads on. 

20 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Draft AVT or Cosmi in 1st or an OG later and let them compete with Saadiq Charles with the loser playing LG. Get a comp pick for Scherff 

And that comp pick for Scherff will cover any pick we have to give the Ravens for Orlando Brown. Get it done. I like it!
That is of course, if we don't take OL in later rounds.

Looks like he plays with attitude. Looks good in coverage and has a nose for the ball. 

I’m calling BS on 4.37. He looks much less sudden and fast than Parsons and JOK. Look at his INT at the 1:00 mark. He’s not running like an elite CB there. In fact, there is a guy form his own team gaining ground on him super fast. 

He’s obviously a good athlete. I love long jump as a measure of athleticism. But he’s not Parsons fast. He’s not a guy that runs like a 4.37 guy on the field with pads on. 

I'm calling BS on everyone's time. Add .1 seconds to every player and I think that's more accurate to their real times. He looks gassed on that int return, I didn't put much stock into it, dude was stumbling once he got past the 5 yard line. I don't think that 4.37 is completely legit either but his other measurables were also freaky and they weren't timed by a stop watch, so I wouldn't doubt it if he was much more athletic than people think. 

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I don't think Allen or Payne are elite at stopping the run. PFF had Allen graded at 64.1 vs the run, which is extremely mediocre, and Payne 74.0, which is good but not elite. There were plenty of times that they were beaten and we got gashed up the middle. Neither of them are guys that demand constant double teams either. So IMO it's a combination of up front as well as not having good downhill LBs.

We were the #2 defense vs pass last season in total yards allowed, YPA allowed, and TDs allowed. We were #13 vs rushing in total yards allowed and YPC allowed, and #10 in rushing TDs allowed.

Our deficiency is pretty clear. 

33 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm calling BS on everyone's time. Add .1 seconds to every player and I think that's more accurate to their real times. He looks gassed on that int return, I didn't put much stock into it, dude was stumbling once he got past the 5 yard line. I don't think that 4.37 is completely legit either but his other measurables were also freaky and they weren't timed by a stop watch, so I wouldn't doubt it if he was much more athletic than people think. 

Ok. I’m not discounting everyone. People that look like they run a 4.4 on the field, I’m believing. Jamin doesn’t look as fast as Parsons in one snap of either of their highlight videos. He just doesn’t move the same. Parsons looks like a legit 4.39 and Jamin looks like a 4.5 or 4.55 on the field. And that’s still good. But, I don’t look at JD’s pro day and think he’s the same athlete Parsons is. 

35 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think Allen or Payne are elite at stopping the run. PFF had Allen graded at 64.1 vs the run, which is extremely mediocre, and Payne 74.0, which is good but not elite. There were plenty of times that they were beaten and we got gashed up the middle. Neither of them are guys that demand constant double teams either. So IMO it's a combination of up front as well as not having good downhill LBs.

We were the #2 defense vs pass last season in total yards allowed, YPA allowed, and TDs allowed. We were #13 vs rushing in total yards allowed and YPC allowed, and #10 in rushing TDs allowed.

Our deficiency is pretty clear. 

It was bombs away against the pass defense in the playoffs. Seattles 2013 and Denver's 2015 defenses were top flight defenses at defending the pass. Defenses are changing and defending the pass is more important than stopping the run.

The pass defense isn't nearly as good as the statistics indicate and the rushing defense got hurt because we played Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, and Russell Wilson. They all shredded our defense with their legs. 

I completely disagree with your take that we need extra help stopping the run. We did not face many good throwers last year and not identifying the pass defense as a potential weakness is just crazy to me. 

Teddy Bridgewater

Andy Dalton x2 and Dinucci or whatever his name is.

Wentz

Hurts

Daniel Jones x2

Lamar Jackson

Goff (who still went for 300 yards)

Dead arm Ben Roethisburger

Ryan Finley (I remember Burrow killing us before Finley came in)

Wow impressive group. One could argue the only elite passer we faced all of last season was Russell Wilson. No wonder why we were the #2 pass defense.

Ill say we need a LBer who is much better at run support than Bostic, but I'm prioritizing one that can defend the pass every single time. 

4 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

In the context of Eichenberg’s and AVT’s short arms (Slater 33, so borderline but ok), I got curious and started googling arm length for NFL OTs. It’s really interesting that it’s pretty hard to find any recent examples of guys with 32 inch arms being successful. Guys like Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Ryan Ramczak, etc are shown as short arm examples but they are all over 33. Joe Thomas is just a hair under 34. I’d love to find recent examples of successful NFL OTs with 32 inch arms. 

I’d be playing the numbers and not drafting short armed OTs unless I also have a plan/need for them at OG.

Short arms is why Russ Grimm is in the HOF as a guard.

Archived