Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with you on Darrisaw.  I'd hate Trask in the 2nd.  I'd tolerate it in the third but wouldn't love it. 

The QB comparisons by name that mock drafter mean nothing to me.  I think its just take random pocket passer who played in the NFL who was successful when it comes to Trask.    I can just as easily compare him to Christian Ponder with less mobility.  My two cents is ignore the comps.  Remember Haskins comp to Big Ben?  Drew Lock had some comps to Mahomes.  It's just a habit to take a successful QB with a style that matches said prospect and compare.   It means nothing as to whether they are successful in the NFL. 

While I disagree with those here who say pro days are worthless.  Jeremiah said it well yesterday teams don't send their guys to pro days for kicks to waste their time for a worthless exercise.    I do think the value of them you don't see on TV which is how the ball comes out of the Qbs hands live, how they interact with their teammates, their measurables, etc.    But where I agree with the cyncisim is just about every QB by the meda types will get praised as if they killed it.  That I take with a grain of salt.  So I expect Trask to have his day today with the mock draft media.  They will hype is accuracy and say he is a steal after the first round.    But IMO they will be wrong.

Pro days from a media stand point is about basking in the hype.  This thread as an example -- the people who liked Fields in advance before yesterday liked the hype and basked some in it.  Those who didn't like him much previously were cynical about it.  To me he confirmed he was a freak.  You aren't going to see Trask today look like freak.  But those who don't care for Fields suggest he plays well in shorts but not well with live pressure.  Will see.   But Trask will have his day in the sun today. 

My take on Trask is he ends up a backup. 

Also, forgot to ask do you know what time UF's Pro Day starts.  TIA, SIP.  

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Watch his first step. Or lack of first step more accurately. I dont hate the player. But I cant stand him in the first round. 

That's called a read step, and every linebacker takes a miss step or two during the course of a game. The most glaring problem I saw in that cut up was him giving up too much ground when he's asked to scrape, which happened more so when he lined up outside. He lined up at two different linebacker positions during the course of the cut up too which isn't something coaches typically ask of players they don't trust. 

6 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

That's called a read step, and every linebacker takes a miss step or two during the course of a game. The most glaring problem I saw in that cut up was him giving up too much ground when he's asked to scrape, which happened more so when he lined up outside. He lined up at two different linebacker positions during the course of the cut up too which isn't something coaches typically ask of players they don't trust. 

I agree with you on his assignments. But he was far beyond a missed step or two in that game.  And in fairness to him his DL balled out in that game as well. So he was left standing in his gap more than making plays on the ball. We will have to agree to disagree. I dont see a first round LB on the tape I have watched. Especially when you compare him to JOK, Parsons, Cox or Collins. But I have only watched a couple of games from all of them. Dont have time to do more than that. 

I will edit this by saying I have some concerns about Parsons read and recognition as well. And mentioned it a couple of weeks ago when I watched LB tape. 

So, something like

5 QBs

4 OL

3 or 4 LB if you include Parsons

2 or 3 CBs

3 receivers

Pitts at TE

That’s borderline dropping one of those to us, so it’s almost a given we get a damn good player at #19 that actual fits what we need.

All that without considering any RBs, best safety on the board, any form of DL/edge that another team may take before our pick....

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Always respect and agree with most of your assessments.  Today is Trask day.  Let's see if who from RR and Co. are there   A lot of WR/TE talent.  Who knows maybe RR gets the urge to spend future draft picks/player and move up to nab one of the fab 4; maybe not.  It sure would be nice for it to be draft weekend coming up but that takes away from the excitement and build up of the draft, right?  :)  

For me its simple I don't hate ANY QB prospect if its a third rounder at later.    If they want to roll the dice on someone even if its Trask I am cool with it as long as its about conviction (which I assume it would be) on the player versus just taking a Qb to hope to get lucky.  I get the get lucky mindset too but I don't like that approach until the 5th round or so. 

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Trask has a better arm than I thought he did. He isnt throwing smoke. But his arm looks plenty good for all of the NFL routes. 

Glad to hear this, CLSK.  :)  IF this is the guy RR and Co. are high on and Keim mentioned in the 2nd round then pleasant news.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me its simple I don't hate ANY QB prospect if its a third rounder at later.    If they want to roll the dice on someone even if its Trask I am cool with it as long as its about conviction (which I assume it would be) on the player versus just taking a Qb to hope to get lucky.  I get the get lucky mindset too but I don't like that approach until the 5th round or so. 

You watching the UF Pro Day, I can't clskinsfan mentioned that Trask's arm is stranger than he originally though unless he's looking at tape and Trask's PD hasn't started.  Also, may not matter but do we know if Turner is at UF's PD?

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Trask has a better arm than I thought he did. He isnt throwing smoke. But his arm looks plenty good for all of the NFL routes. 

Well Curtis Samuel took the number 10 jersey and AGG hasn’t automatically picked up the number 11 one yet, as was expected...:)

Yes. It is his Pro Day I am watching. He has missed one pass so far. But nothing deep yet. He has really nice short/mid range accuracy and touch. The athleticism is clearly below everyone else. But you know that going in. The guy can throw the ball though. 

Just did what I THOUGHT was a pretty realistic mock draft, and it sucks for us haha.

1. Jags - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. 49ers - Fields

4. Falcons - Pitts

5. Bengals - Sewell

6. Dolphins - Chase

7. *NE - Lance

8. Panthers - Mac Jones

9. Denver - Slater

10. *Colts - Darrisaw

11. Giants - Waddle

12. Eagles - Smith

13. Chargers - Vera-Tucker

14. Vikings - Phillips

15. Lions - Parsons

16. Cards - Surtain

17. Raidahs - JOK

18. Dolphins - Paye

19. ________

Guess you go BPA there and take Farley, which would be a huge long-term boost to our secondary. And probably the smart move, albeit unecessary and not an immediate *need* ... I guess it doesn't "Suck" but I have gotten to a point where anyone but Darrisaw at #19 isn't a great BPA + Fit.

And the problem is, there isn't an obvious option at #19 that others might want to trade up for. Trading down is an easy concept in theory, not in reality.

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree with you on his assignments. But he was far beyond a missed step or two in that game.  And in fairness to him his DL balled out in that game as well. So he was left standing in his gap more than making plays on the ball. We will have to agree to disagree. I dont see a first round LB on the tape I have watched. Especially when you compare him to JOK, Parsons, Cox or Collins. But I have only watched a couple of games from all of them. Dont have time to do more than that. 

I will edit this by saying I have some concerns about Parsons read and recognition as well. And mentioned it a couple of weeks ago when I watched LB tape. 

He's far from polished that's for sure, but I'm seeing footwork when taking on blocks as a big factor as to why he takes himself out of plays, which is something that NFL coaches will believe they can fix. There are certain plays you watch when you see his hands and feet are working in unison, and that's when you see why NFL teams might think his upside is worth a first round pick. 

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Just did what I THOUGHT was a pretty realistic mock draft, and it sucks for us haha.

1. Jags - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. 49ers - Fields

4. Falcons - Pitts

5. Bengals - Sewell

6. Dolphins - Chase

7. *NE - Lance

8. Panthers - Mac Jones

9. Denver - Slater

10. *Colts - Darrisaw

11. Giants - Waddle

12. Eagles - Smith

14. Vikings - Phillips

15. Lions - Parsons

16. Cards - Surtain

17. Raidahs - JOK

18. Dolphins - Paye

19. ________

Guess you go BPA there and take Farley, which would be a huge long-term boost to our secondary. And probably the smart move, albeit unecessary and not an immediate *need* ... I guess it doesn't "Suck" but I have gotten to a point where anyone but Darrisaw at #19 isn't a great BPA + Fit.

And the problem is, there isn't an obvious option at #19 that others might want to trade up for. Trading down is an easy concept in theory, not in reality.

Could go with one of the other Tackles there. Cosmi maybe?

Trask is lethal in the middle of the field though. Much better arm than I thought. Struggled some with throwing on the run IMO. But an overall good workout for him. I think I would still take Mills or Newman over him though. Their upside is so much higher. 

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'd take Collins or Davis if it went down like that.  Maybe Cosmi or Jenkins. 

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes. It is his Pro Day I am watching. He has missed one pass so far. But nothing deep yet. He has really nice short/mid range accuracy and touch. The athleticism is clearly below everyone else. But you know that going in. The guy can throw the ball though. 

Short/Mid seems to better fit Turner's O.  Yes/No?  I think so but that's me.  I do think that Trask may have just enough arm for the occasional deep ball.  

I thought Trask was all right, watched it all.  But the only thing I am interested in the pro day are measurables and arm strength.    I was surprised how much short stuff was in the mix.  Felt like Mac Jones and Fields tested themsleves more both as for going deep and rolling in the pocket and throwing on the move.     But who knows since I didn't chart anyone of their throws. 

I am not one of the people who thinks Trask has a weak arm.  I think its average.  It looked average to me today, too.  My issue with him is there is nothing that he does that is special.  Nothing changed that for me as to watching his pro day.  

I haven't seen this on twitter but on the network they said he ran a 5.11 40.   I oddly haven't seen that though confirmed anywhere else so it makes me wonder. 

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. Jags - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. 49ers - Fields

4. Falcons - Pitts

5. Bengals - Sewell

6. Dolphins - Chase

7. *NE - Lance

8. Panthers - Mac Jones

9. Denver - Slater

10. *Colts - Darrisaw

11. Giants - Waddle

12. Eagles - Smith

14. Vikings - Phillips

15. Lions - Parsons

16. Cards - Surtain

17. Raidahs - JOK

18. Dolphins - Paye

19. ________

doesn’t that leave us picking a starting LB, which is good ?

31 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Well Curtis Samuel took the number 10 jersey and AGG hasn’t automatically picked up the number 11 one yet, as was expected...:)

LOL.  Who knows UK.  :)  Don't think it has to do with anything but if AGG doesn't claim it, it could me something or nothing.  

I'd add even though I am a big Kyle Pitts guy and not a Trask guy, I was still a little annoyed how much Jeremiah and company focused on Pitts throughout Trask's workout.  You'd figure Trask was some bystander to Pitts' show.  Trask should have been all the focus or close enough.  We get it DJ, Trask is a freak but it seemed a bit disrespectful to prattle on and on about it while Trask was throwing. 

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yep, If Parsons gets stuck in that mud, Davis likely the first LB to go IMO

Wow, do you think his performance pushed him up that high? I'd definitely take him at 19 now, there are 4 LBs I would take here, I love this draft for our needs. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add even though I am a big Kyle Pitts guy and not a Trask guy, I was still a little annoyed how much Jeremiah and company focused on Pitts throughout Trask's workout.  You'd figure Trask was some bystander to Pitts' show.  Trask should have been all the focus or close enough.  We get it DJ, Trask is a freak but it seemed a bit disrespectful to prattle on and on about it while Trask was throwing. 

Agree completely. They should have broken down more of what they were seeing from Trask. Pitts is a known commodity. I will say again that I though Trask looked really good over the middle of the field. Thought he looked uncomfortable throwing on the run. Especially rolling left. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Wow, do you think his performance pushed him up that high? I'd definitely take him at 19 now, there are 4 LBs I would take here, I love this draft for our needs. 

I think somewhere had him mocked at #17 to LV, is it them at that pick? Not that a mock means much to be fair.

Archived