Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also factor in that teams are going to be thirsty for draft picks because of how cap-strapped most of the league is... except us.  For once.

There are a lot of tail winds pushing us to trade the pick.  My big concern with doing so is fortifying the OL however.  Our tackle situation is sketchier than we think, and we aren't getting an early starter if we lose our early picks.  A big part of making the Brady acquisition work for the Bucs was getting Wirfs.  Plus they had that good IOL group already, better than ours.  We need to be able to thread the needle of getting a QB while simultaneously improving the lousy talent level of the rest of the offense, that is a monster challenge.

Charles becoming something instantly changes that equation.  Rivera really was praising him before he got injured so suddenly.  He's got talent.  Say (hypothetically) that Stafford wants to be here (in the lesser NFC and something he's more familiar with)and we trade #19+2020 2nd (my highest compensation I'd offer).  GO after Marvin Jones in FA (will be less costly due to his age), but he's familiar with Stafford obviously.  Only big ticket FA we go after would be LaVonte David if Tampa can't afford him (Ron clearly will know him from his battles in the division).

We're left with the #2 and two #3s.  I'm hesitant about Friermuth now with all the PSU nonsense.  A solid o-lineman will likely be there with our 2nd round pick.  Take best WR and RB with our two 3rds and go from there.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Charles becoming something instantly changes that equation.  Rivera really was praising him before he got injured so suddenly.  He's got talent.  Say (hypothetically) that Stafford wants to be here (in the lesser NFC and something he's more familiar with)and we trade #19+2020 2nd (my highest compensation I'd offer).  GO after Marvin Jones in FA (will be less costly due to his age), but he's familiar with Stafford obviously.  Only big ticket FA we go after would be LaVonte David if Tampa can't afford him (Ron clearly will know him from his battles in the division).

We're left with the #2 and two #3s.  I'm hesitant about Friermuth now with all the PSU nonsense.  A solid o-lineman will likely be there with our 2nd round pick.  Take best WR and RB with our two 3rds and go from there.

Freiermuth wasn’t named in any of that stuff but I’d expect any team looking into drafting him to HAVE to dig in now. 

Until I hear otherwise I’m keeping Freiermuth in high regard.

Parsons has been removed from my board.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wouldn't touch anyone from PSU. Seriously, how can you ever dismiss anything as drama after what happened to them. PSU needs to lose their program. That's just disgusting.

It has to be nuked from orbit. But the bad seeds shouldn’t sour anyone who wasn’t involved in that stuff. 

I’d strongly look into Freiermuth if I had interest in him. Any sign of any complaint and I’m out. But you have to look. 

There’s enough on Parsons and the entire program in a general sense to say sianara. It needs to seriously go away.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It has to be nuked from orbit. But the bad seeds shouldn’t sour anyone who wasn’t involved in that stuff. 

I’d strongly look into Freiermuth if I had interest in him. Any sign of any complaint and I’m out. But you have to look. 

There’s enough on Parsons and the entire program in a general sense to say sianara. It needs to seriously go away.

Parsons has had issues with people and media for years too. I seriously hope criminal charges can come about and he never gets to play in the NFL.

Their coaching staff is just unreal. How could you let anything like this get away from you again. PSU football is done. 

That's fair about other players, but I don't know how worth it would be if anything comes out down the line.

59 minutes ago, KDawg said:

While Parsons hasn't been convicted of anything, I would remove him from my board as well. 

Freiemuth stays in the same slot he was in for me. He has done nothing wrong or been accused of any wrong doings to the best of my knowledge. Heck, I hope others look at him that way and he is available at pick 51.

Of course I would have him scrutinized a little more just in case. Same goes for any other player from PSU

Indianapolis seems like a fit for Stafford. As does San Francisco. But we are right up there as well. We are just as much in "win now" mode as those teams, and have the salary cap to make it work.

I would think we would have a chance to beat any trade Indy puts together. We have higher picks than them, and have some cheap-ish talent if they want a player back as well.

It said at the end of the article that Damion Barber called what they were doing "locker room horseplay" in court documents...  No one associated with that program should ever be able to use that phrase again without going to jail.

FWIW, the only four players named in the lawsuit were Parsons, Gross-Matos, Barber, and Jesse Luketa.  I think you do have to give all of their prospects your highest level of scrutiny at this point, as clearly that program has cultural issues and bad apples can spoil the whole bunch.  But if you don't find anything out about Freirmuth, then you keep him on your board as normal.

18 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What the ever loving ****...

Penn State's program is just ****ed up.  Nuke it from orbit.  It's time.

+10,000

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

The Penn State program, if true, needs to be put down for 5 years and restarted from scratch. That program is such a cesspool. I woke up and the first thing I thought about was this stuff.

Parsons is undraftable. 

What's unbelievable about it, as previously mentioned, is that this insanity could go on AFTER SANDUSKY. Like in what world does someone recruit those monsters in the first place, and how isn't there clarity on "WE WILL NEVER DO ANYTHING NOR LET ANYTHING REMOTELY IN THIS UNIVERSE HAPPEN AGAIN" w/all players and staff? Like how? I haven't heard a story like this in a decade, and boom, it's the same damn school? Unbelievable. 

10 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

We have higher picks than Indy. Gives us a slight advantage.

From a few different articles I glean that a mid-1st + a pick or player might be enough for Stafford. If SF is willing to give up #12 we can't beat that. But we hold the keys after that, assuming Stafford wants to be here in some capacity. We can't outbid the Colts by much, but we do have the slight advantage.

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

From a few different articles I glean that a mid-1st + a pick or player might be enough for Stafford. If SF is willing to give up #12 we can't beat that. But we hold the keys after that, assuming Stafford wants to be here in some capacity. We can't outbid the Colts by much, but we do have the slight advantage.

I don't think the Colts have the depth we do to use players in trades. Outside of the DL, you could argue that Cam Sims, Steven Sims and Harmon are all cheap somewhat proven WR options for a rebuilding team, especially one that is set to lose both their starters and cut their no. 4 WR during the season. Let me be clear that I don't think any of the three have much value but I wouldn't mind with parting with any or even two out of the three (esp Steven Sims)

22 minutes ago, method man said:

I don't think the Colts have the depth we do to use players in trades. Outside of the DL, you could argue that Cam Sims, Steven Sims and Harmon are all cheap somewhat proven WR options for a rebuilding team, especially one that is set to lose both their starters and cut their no. 4 WR during the season. Let me be clear that I don't think any of the three have much value but I wouldn't mind with parting with any or even two out of the three (esp Steven Sims)

Huh? Not sure I'm getting the argument here. The Colts have an interesting WR Corps:

Zach Pascal 44-629-5

Michael Pittman (2nd round pick last year): 40-503-1

Parris Campbell (2nd round pick last year): Opened year with a 6-71 in week 1 before tearing his MCL after missing most of '19 with injuries. Apparently he just ate it badly slipping on ice and posted it to social media as well. 

Regardless, I would absolutely take the Colts WR's over ours w/the obvious exception of mega elite McLaurin. Pascal is a solid depth guy doing what peak Steven Sims did and more, Harmon's largely an unknown, and Cam is whatever. Pittman and Campbell carry day 2 draft capital, and while I wasn't in love with either of them in their classes, they did belong fairly high in two of the best WR classes in decades. Definitely higher on both of them than anything on our roster. Maybe I'm just not understanding your argument. I'm assuing you're saying we have better depth to attach to a first round pick in a trade? Personally, the Lions would absolutely prefer the Colts WR's to our own w/the exception of McLaurin. 

12 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Huh? Not sure I'm getting the argument here. The Colts have an interesting WR Corps:

Zach Pascal 44-629-5

Michael Pittman (2nd round pick last year): 40-503-1

Parris Campbell (2nd round pick last year): Opened year with a 6-71 in week 1 before tearing his MCL after missing most of '19 with injuries. Apparently he just ate it badly slipping on ice and posted it to social media as well. 

Regardless, I would absolutely take the Colts WR's over ours w/the obvious exception of mega elite McLaurin. Pascal is a solid depth guy doing what peak Steven Sims did and more, Harmon's largely an unknown, and Cam is whatever. Pittman and Campbell carry day 2 draft capital, and while I wasn't in love with either of them in their classes, they did belong fairly high in two of the best WR classes in decades. Definitely higher on both of them than anything on our roster. Maybe I'm just not understanding your argument. I'm assuing you're saying we have better depth to attach to a first round pick in a trade? Personally, the Lions would absolutely prefer the Colts WR's to our own w/the exception of McLaurin. 

The thing is I don't think they are moving any of those guys except maybe Campbell. Pittman is their #1 of the future and Pascal is their #2, assuming they don't bring back Hilton. In our case, all the guys I listed are guys I bet the team is fully willing to part with. 

If you are comparing Pascal and Cam Sims, both guys are similarly rated by PFF and Sims is under control for 2 more years while Pascal has 1 year of control left

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

The Penn State program, if true, needs to be put down for 5 years and restarted from scratch. That program is such a cesspool. I woke up and the first thing I thought about was this stuff.

Parsons is undraftable. 

What's tough for me is there could be several kids that don't deserve to be booted and it would suck to pay for the actions of others.  Not everyone will transfer.

I completely agree that there needs to be consequences, don't get me wrong.  Last time they got rid of scholarships and punished a few coaches.  It was not targeted in a way that made sense to me. 

I also don't know how targeted they could make it, so maybe a shutdown is needed.  Doing this while making Sanduski references is even worse.

4 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Doing this while making Sanduski references is even worse.

They basically ran a not so secret coach player molestation  haven not long ago and are now making jokes about in reference to sexual assult being downplayed to hazing. Crazy.

6 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

What's tough for me is there could be several kids that don't deserve to be booted and it would suck to pay for the actions of others.  Not everyone will transfer.

I completely agree that there needs to be consequences, don't get me wrong.  Last time they got rid of scholarships and punished a few coaches.  It was not targeted in a way that made sense to me. 

I also don't know how targeted they could make it, so maybe a shutdown is needed.  Doing this while making Sanduski references is even worse.

That’s their choice. Allow transfers with no sit out period and let them go. Some won’t be at least that’s a choice for them and not forced.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That’s their choice. Allow transfers with no sit out period and let them go. Some won’t be at least that’s a choice for them and not forced.

Yeah, not going to fight that much either way.  I don't think there is a slam dunk answer.

This is messed up stuff and needs to get addressed.  Previously they removed scholarships and to me that punishes kids that want a PSU education and aren't part of this.  Seems like it adds more punishment to victims as well and not simply the coaching staff that ignores the behavior or the players responsible. 

I don't have a a good answer to make it better, I just think it spreads the blame to some that really don't deserve it. 

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Personally, the Lions would absolutely prefer the Colts WR's to our own w/the exception of McLaurin. 

You've lost me.  I'm not seeing how a comparison of the WFT and Colts WRs would matter at all to the Lions.  WFT has the better draft pick to offer.  That seems relevant to me.  The WRs?  Not so much.

17 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

You've lost me.  I'm not seeing how a comparison of the WFT and Colts WRs would matter at all to the Lions.  WFT has the better draft pick to offer.  That seems relevant to me.  The WRs?  Not so much.

On a similar but separate note...

If they are willing to trade Stafford I wonder if they won't franchise tag Golladay.  Stafford, Golladay with Terry would be nice.

Archived